This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-04-2007 04:35:30 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

[Food] Pineapple Ginger Orange Chicken Stuff -or- I'm hungry.

I'm hungry and I have a new digital camera! (etc-love) Let's tear apart the kitchen looking for things to cook with! Oh, there are onions and chicken tenders and all the ordinary crap that's in my kitchen all the-OOOO. PINEAPPLE! And bell peppers? Well my my, how extravagant! Since we're dealing with chicken breasts, which are the culinary tabula rasa, we'll need to marinate them in something!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken01.jpg

When I make a marinade for my meat, or whatever else I'm, well, marinating, all I do is throw together the dominant flavors of what I'm making. In this case, about a tablespoon each of ginger, garlic, orange marmalade, and honey.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken02.jpg

I deliberately fished liquid out of the marmalade jar, so there's more of it there than it looks like there is. I used the soy sauce and a bit of the rice vinegar to thin these out enough to coat my chicken.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken03.jpg

Which is cut into retardedly small chunks. Why? 1. My wisdom tooth is still ouchy and I need to slightly favor the other side, and 2. Makes it feel like I'm eating more food. school-eng101

I set this to marinate for a couple hours. It doesn't really take much longer than that in this case since I cut the chicken so small and chicken doesn't take much time. If you were going to marinate it longer, I'd take the rice wine vinegar out of the marinade. (The rice wine vinegar was a 'dammit there's no cooking wine or apple cider vinegar, what the fuck' kind of deal.)

[time elapsed: however long it took Giovanna to piece together the mercifully few panned shots in episode 29]

Yay! Let's actually make our dinner now.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken04.jpg

From left to right:
The marinated chicken chunks, there's like three very small tenderloin fillets there.
Pineapple chunks. No idea how much is there, but it's slightly more than the chicken. I chopped the pieces up smaller than they are here.
2 bell peppers, medium sized. I have an orange and a yellow, but any combination would work. I would avoid green bell peppers for this though, their flavor doesn't quite agree with what I'm doing here.
Peanut oil
(the honey wasn't used again)
2 small onions (I ended up using three because one of those was still green in the middle.)
Orange marmalade
Red pepper flakes
(the vinegar isn't used again)
soy sauce

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken05.jpg

CHOP CHOP CHOP! Bite size pieces! In the cup is about a tablespoon each of crushed garlic and ginger. I crush the ginger over the cup because it lets out a lot of juice and there's flavor in that I don't wanna miss. There's also a couple liberal pinches of the red pepper flakes there, as well as the pineapple juice that had collected in the tupperware.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken06.jpg

I cooked the pineapple on its own on very high heat, as high as it would go, to brown it a little bit and bring out the sugars, which in my experience doesn't really happen if I cook it with everything else. If you were doing this as a proper stir fry, you'd probably be able to pull that off, but since I don't have a wok and can't get the pan quite hot enough anyway, we're cheating on the stir fry.

Once that's done I set the pineapple aside and oil the pan again and throw in my onions. I always start with my onions because I like them a little softer than the rest of the ingredients in my final product. If you want a more even crunch, put the peppers in first, then the onions, then the chicken when the onions are almost done. For me, I toss the onions on medium-high heat until they're just barely softening, then throw in the peppers. At this point there's enough going on in the pan that I'm not risking burning my garlic even on high heat, to I throw in the garlic, ginger, and pineapple juice, as well a couple tablespoons of orange marmalade.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken07.jpg

(You can see the marmalade above.) I'm cooking on a high enough heat that I would make a huge god damn mess if this wasn't tossed constantly, now that you have the sugars in the marmalade and the garlic to worry about. Once they're in, add the chicken (drained obviously), and a little shot of soy sauce and cook until it's done. A moment before that, throw in the pineapple. Had I had any, I would have chopped up a couple scallions and thrown them in right at the end for color.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken08.jpg

Money shot! As you can see, every good meal REQUIRES BOOZE. This is the super-yummy passion fruit wine mom got me for my birthday at the ONLY GOD DAMN COOL THING IN MY AREA, a fruit winery. cool If you're ever down here, I recommend stopping there and getting loaded. But if you're down here, what the crap, you better let me know so I can tag along. emot-mad

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PineappleChicken09.jpg

Oh my! The food is so hot. I guess I'll drink first! emot-keke

I make this once in a while, and use what was in this case orange marmalade as the variable flavor. I've done this with pomegranate molasses, balsamic vinegar...if you weren't dieting like me you could use curry and coconut milk, in which case...you have curry. Whatever you like, is a template thing for me. One thing I've noticed that I was reminded of here is that frozen chicken breasts don't stand up well to being marinated and chopped up small, the texture comes out a bit different in a way that leads me to suggest you get fresh ones for this sort of thing, or that you leave the chicken breasts whole and kinda place them on top of the rest of the ingredients cooked up on their own.

Food! school-chef

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top03-04-2007 04:39:28 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Re: [Food] Pineapple Ginger Orange Chicken Stuff -or- I'm hungry.

That looks delicious..and you look quite sophisticated drinking that wine! emot-biggrin

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#3 | Back to Top03-04-2007 06:28:03 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Yayayayay! FOOD school-chef

So when are you coming to cook for me, huh?

Edit: Also, I find that taking the veggies out, stir frying the meat in their juices, and then throwing them back in for a quick reheat works better for me. It's not a big difference though. And if I was to add on to that, I think I'd add some lemongrass as well as scallions.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top03-04-2007 06:37:53 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

>< This looks really really good and something like my tummy can not handel.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#5 | Back to Top03-04-2007 06:38:36 PM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

Ohhh, that looks good! The only cooking I can do from scratch by myself is baking stuff, like cakes, cookies, mochi, anything sweet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/fun_and_cake005x.jpg

Time for dessert? xD Yes, it's pretty well-established that I suck at decorating (actually, that was my first try...). But it's a red velvet cake!! Yummy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#6 | Back to Top03-04-2007 11:15:41 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Wow.  That's it - I demand you cook for me sometime!  I spend all damn day cooking at a restaurant.  It'd be nice to have someone cook for me.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#7 | Back to Top03-05-2007 09:15:35 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

So when are you coming to cook for me, huh?

Soon. school-devil Methinks there will be many cooking threads when I get up there.

Yasha wrote:

Edit: Also, I find that taking the veggies out, stir frying the meat in their juices, and then throwing them back in for a quick reheat works better for me. It's not a big difference though. And if I was to add on to that, I think I'd add some lemongrass as well as scallions.

Yeah normally I'd cook the meat on its own too, I didn't this time because I was lazy and placed more priority on getting that out of the pineapple. Lemongrass would definitely go well in here, although then I might put a little less soy sauce and add a shot of fish sauce to emphasize the Thai flavor...and I wanted scallions. I always want scallions. There are never scallions. emot-mad

Teapot wrote:

Time for dessert? xD Yes, it's pretty well-established that I suck at decorating (actually, that was my first try...). But it's a red velvet cake!! Yummy!

Red velvet? Eh? EH? What's that precious? As for cake decorating, it's all about practice. I was actually really good at it when I was a kid. It's a lot like cross-stitch with icing, I found. You definitely did awesome for a first try! My specialty was more like painting with icing...I drew Cartman on a cake for my brother's birthday one year. I wish I had pictures, it was totally badass. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top03-05-2007 10:17:06 AM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Teapot wrote:

Red velvet? Eh? EH? What's that precious? As for cake decorating, it's all about practice. I was actually really good at it when I was a kid. It's a lot like cross-stitch with icing, I found. You definitely did awesome for a first try! My specialty was more like painting with icing...I drew Cartman on a cake for my brother's birthday one year. I wish I had pictures, it was totally badass. cool

Red velvet is a rich chocolate cake with food dye in it... I know, I could have just made a plain chocolate cake, but it's so cool when it's red. I like red. etc-love

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#9 | Back to Top03-06-2007 02:29:14 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Ahhh! So hungry! I want tiny orange ginger chicken pieces and red velvet cake and wine and..... I marvel at the skills of you cooks!!! emot-aaa

To contribute something worthwhile to the thread, I think I will share two of my most sacred family recipes. Actually, when I say family, I mean, my very own invention birthed from the talent bestowed upon me by my family, who used the household fire alarm as the kitchen timer. school-chef

ULTIMATE SECRET RECIPE ONE
a. get tray
b. get water
c. pour water into tray, carefully, so as not to spill a drop.
d. put mixture into freezer for about 3 hours
    = this results in Ice Cubes for all to enjoy

ULTIMATE SECRET RECIPE TWO
a. get bowl
b. get milk
c. grab box of Lucky Charms, or any similar sugary equivalent
d. mix ingredients in bowl serve quickly before cereal gets too soggy to be good
    = this results in Breakfast, or sometimes Dinner, or often can double as a Dessert

Ok, a real tip! If you want a drink that taste like a Pina Coloda, but don't want to have to go to a restaurant with a blender to make it for you, or you don't have a blender at home, you can just buy a bottle of Malibu Rum (coconut flavored rum) and a can of pineapple juice. In a medium sized-glass (the type that is the size of a coffee cup) filled with ice...for every 1 part of rum, you want to add 3 parts pineapple juice. So, if you were using a larger glass, it would be 2 ounces of rum, with 6 ounces of pineapple juice. In the end, tastes just like a frozen Pina Coloda, it's just on the rocks. If you have a blender, by God, throw that in with ice. Adding pre-made pina coloda coconut juice is an optional benefit. Eh, so, it's my favorite drink to drink at home - just thought I'd share! emot-keke

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#10 | Back to Top04-12-2007 06:05:16 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

hahahha i love the ghetto Pina Coloda drink mix i abuse this often i just use the Pina Coloda mix ice and what ever liquor  i have on hand....often everclear emot-redface

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#11 | Back to Top04-12-2007 06:54:40 PM

Rushita
Rose Bride
Website

Oh my!  That looks like what I just cooked for dinner tonight! etc-love  If I saw this post eariler, I would have taken a picture to show you.

Instead of pineapple, I had green bell pepper, also has the red bell pepper, and orange sweet pepper, and onion.  To marinade my chicked, I used Kikkoman teriyaki sauce (instead of Kikkoman soy sauce), chinese white pepper power, seasame oil, chinese cooking wine and dried basil.  We use olive oil to cook in the house, and for the sauce, I used Italian dressing (instead of vinegar, since I don't have white vinegar at home), honey and oyster sauce.

Wait.... edit!

Yay for left overs emot-biggrin
http://www.rushita.com/temp/peppers.jpg

For chinese stir fry, it is almost a standard for us to heat the oil then put in garlic or onion first and fry it until it is golden, then put in meat.  That way they favour of garlic and onion comes out better.  I cooked my onion and sliced chicken breast (same size as yours) first, then put aside, otherwise I tend to over-cook the meat and it become too dry.  Then I put the 3 kinds of peppers in the pan (also a frying pan, since wok doesn't work on flat-surface/flat-coil stove.  Never used a wok since we came to Canada),  add a bit of water, italian dressing, oyster sauce and honey, and put the lid on to cook until the pepper is soft.  Then I throw the chicken back in the pan and cook for a little bit longer.

Last edited by Rushita (04-12-2007 07:40:08 PM)

http://www.rushita.com/images/Logo6.jpg

Board footer