This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-29-2009 08:53:04 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Re: Could the cast of Utena really just be a bunch of high school losers?

The student council is most definitely melodramatic. "Me and Anthy share hidden love", "I'm just chivalrous", Miki's world of parsley bit. Wakaba/Mitsuru/Keiko etc. actually seem much more level headed most of the time. The seem like normal student who are sucked into the crap of others due to their ties to them. And the issues at hand really aren't issues of eternity or miracles. Both terms are just veils for true desperation for Touga's cock and Shiori's pussy, respectively. And I know overdramatic people who couch simple issues in big sounding terms. My former best friend Anna watched V for Vendetta and now talks about all her daddy issues as being "a vendetta".

And isn't it true that the duelists' lives won't start until they are out of Ohtori? Ohtori is more a state of mind, a metaphor for the world of childishness, and must be escaped.

And the Breakfast Club is an awesome movie, no matter what.

But it's a valid point. Akio clearly 'relates' or at least prefers to interact with younger people. For better or worse because he's mentally still one himself. Either he's that pathetic, or we can do the cynic's route (which he certainly would) and propose that except for having given up on larger goals, adults are just as absurd, self-important, and petty anyway. The few examples of adults in the show, aside from Tokiko, would definitely reinforce this.

Melancholic--that's making me think of how in high school once in a while one of the super popular kids would crumple under the weight of their fame and then piss and moan about HOW HARD BEING A CHEERLEADER IS or OH GOD IT'S SO HARD BEING POPULAR and the rest of us thought 'Cry me a fucking river.' Except now, as adults, a lot of people follow the lives of celebrities with the same wondering awe and far less of the cynicism. I know grown adult women who feel for Spears and her ilk because oh god it's so hard being rich and famous.   

Actually it's also as hard to pay a mortgage on an income half what the mortgage was taken under, feed your children, and get by month to month. But that's much less glamorous. The school metaphor here seems to me very similar--it doesn't really matter whether they truly were popular or whether this was all blown up in their heads, everyone, but everyone's life seems to them a dramatic epic.

Another direction we could take there is that your descriptions, the awkward kid, the horny dog, were at some point exactly what these kids were. There are plenty of reasons why they're what they are in the show instead. Akio sniffing out potential and hoisting them to the Seitokai couldn't have hurt, but more likely, if Ohtori is the garden where no one ever ages or dies...what if these kids have lived dozens of high school lives without ever noticing it? They'd have developed their perverted set of skills and lack of skills to work for them within the small frame of their current environment. The Awkward middle school Saionji had more than two or three years of high school to develop into the cold and distant vicious thing he presents to hide that awkwardness--but it's still there. Touga the horny dog? It's still true--all that's changed with the passage of time is technique. So in the end you have what you have in the older characters, Akio and Anthy and Nemuro/Mikage--these creatures trapped between being adolescents and being adults, having learns bits and pieces of the latter without growing into it.

But Akio is always wrong! That's one of the lessons of the series! Any adults still in the school are either illusory puppets (as I always saw them. The constantly have the glasses flare that anthy only has when she's mindlessly obeying Akio, so maybe he just created them as a whipping post/cum-bucket/booster seat for his fragile ego.) or fellow manchildren.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#27 | Back to Top06-29-2009 09:51:09 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

I always saw the Student Council as the beautiful people who were especially chosen and adored by the whole of the school (save stupid Anthy Himemiya, who only ever messes with the council boys' hearts and has no redeemable qualities ever). Those who are naturally talented and take it for granted, thinking themselves more deeply troubled than anyone around them.

Then you have the Black Rose Duelists. Those are the losers. Or, at least, the people who aren't seen as beautiful, smart and talented; the faceless masses. They're run by the king of all losers, super nerdy, lecherous Mikage. In his stint as a member of that secret project, the other boys discussed what a freak he was. Even beautiful Tokiko rejected him in favor of the beautiful Akio. So he, in turn, rejected beautiful Tatsuya in favor of the unbeautiful Wakaba and made a whole army of unbeautiful people in order to defeat all those who were always special and shining. If anyone were to walk out of Ohtori and be a hairy gross blob of a man, it'd be Mikage.

I could draw the link between SKU and the Breakfast Club only in so far as that you get to see everyone in a high school setting has issues, not just the freaky ones, but like Syora said, the highschool part of Utena seems relatively unimportant. It's key in setting the stage for the characters being on the brink of adulthood, sure, but other than that, it's mostly a metaphorical school.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#28 | Back to Top06-29-2009 11:25:06 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

YostinAust wrote:

And the Breakfast Club is an awesome movie, no matter what.

*sigh* I wasn't saying it was a bad movie - I loved it. But like I said before, the issues that are so rampant in high schools are trivial in comparison to the issues of the Setokai. I was just using the Breakfast Club as an example of what typical high school drama is like. While I agree that the steokai saw "eternity" and "miracles" as an end all to their problems, the manner in which their vices are dealt with are far more serious than teenage tripe. Incest, manipulation and physical/mental abuse of that degree are extremely rare in the high school world compared to the high incident rate in Utena. The development of these issues and their implications are what makes the difference.

While I completely agree with calling most of the cast losers, I completely disagree with the high school label. As Naji said, the school is simply a device, and one used to make events plausible. (OK, sort of plausible, the car/duel arena are debatable.)

As for who are losers and who are not, that is a whole other issue. While my definition of what makes a loser is different, I'd definitely have to say in terms of hierarchy, the Black Rose Duellists are definitely on the bottom.

#29 | Back to Top06-30-2009 01:56:52 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Akio clearly 'relates' or at least prefers to interact with younger people. For better or worse because he's mentally still one himself.

Of course. Dios was not only the campus loser, but he was the shitshield of the world itself. Now Akio is determined to be the coolest shit on the playground (gods forbid he ever got near one). I always saw Akio as somewhat akin to the Fonz long after his Happy Days. Someone who attempts to revitalize himself with the youth of others and sexual conquest of the young and (illegally) desirable. As you described before, Gio, he much prefers to be the shark in the pond rather than in the ocean.

Actually, I really like this topic, because it gets to the point of the series. NOTHING REALLY HAPPENS. And that's the glorious wonderful irony of it; all this time and build-up, all these dreams and grandiose theories about what truth and power really are...and all of it is pointless. The Student Council imagines themselves to be these beautiful special people who were handpicked for an amazing destiny. They disdain activities that they consider too normal and see the other students as simplistic non-entities. And yet, this seductive illusion is the only power of Ohtori Academy. Each of the Council members practically launches themselves into the web, allowing themselves to be brainwashed and manipulated by Akio. Conversely, it is the "normal" students and people who are most likely to leave the Academy and escape its potent poisons, such as Tokiko did.

So yeah. I agree that the Council members are Ohtori's biggest losers, simply because they try to play the game in the first place. And no one really gets what they want. In the end, they instead learn to grow up, and Anthy gets the freedom to leave. A bunch of kids learn a lesson and someone walks away: SKU without the frills. And that's precisely what makes it so genius.

If anyone were to walk out of Ohtori and be a hairy gross blob of a man, it'd be Mikage.

I disagree. I think he'd be a zombie. school-chef

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#30 | Back to Top06-30-2009 03:52:33 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Katzenklavier wrote:

Actually, I really like this topic, because it gets to the point of the series. NOTHING REALLY HAPPENS.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT YOU'RE RIGHT. WHy did I never see it that way before? I think I knew it subconsciously but never actually was like OMG NOTHING HAPPENED. Wow this is gonna change how I think about the series as I rewatch it.

#31 | Back to Top06-30-2009 04:00:52 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Well, I disagree that nothing happens.  Most of what really happens is psychological (student council becomes normal and obtain what they were looking for in their repaired relations, Anthy totally changes) but things change in a way that is not how you would expect but it's still very profound nonetheless.

#32 | Back to Top06-30-2009 09:37:07 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Yeaj, things definitely happen. Big things, awesome things. But the greatness of SKU is that it all boils down to a coming of age story. All of the ancillary symbolism, all the cows and stopwatches, are the product of this being labyrinth as written by john lennon. Ikuhara has admitted that a lot of the stuff in the series was just thrown in to fuck with the audience. That's what makes the show and movie so damn fun.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"

#33 | Back to Top06-30-2009 10:47:45 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I like this topic. I actually felt my blood stir when I was posting earlier. emot-rolleyes

But the thing with high school though is that there is a different hierarchy. The Setokai dueled because they felt they were the privileged. I'm nitpicking, but we can't call them "high school losers" when they have the status. They are just losers by our own personal definition.

OK, done being anal. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Syora (06-30-2009 10:48:22 PM)

#34 | Back to Top07-01-2009 08:58:51 AM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

But their satus is self defined. I know 120-pound weaklings who think they could take on anyone at the school due to their (fake) knowledge of pressure points. I think anyone can just declare superiority, the spanner in the works being the presence of other human beings.

#35 | Back to Top07-01-2009 10:01:36 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

What I mean by NOTHING HAPPENING is a bit more subtle. What I mean is that we go through the whole series expecting some kind of big Revolution to occur. All of the characters keep dreaming for all these fantastic glorious intangible things, and the first time I was watching it, I kept on thinking Utena would meet her prince. That her main ambition would come true.

But instead of these huge events that might define any other Anime series, the real changes are a lot more discreet, just as spoon-san noted. It's only when the characters let go of their illusive desires that they mature and grow. That's the irony of SKU.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#36 | Back to Top07-01-2009 02:05:22 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

What I think is interesting is how young everyone is. I think its was supposed to unrealistic because of how screwed up Ohtori is. I think that the reason why there is so many damn problems is that these are teens in an incredibly adult world. And on purpose they obviously made the weaker ones the innocent ones, and made those the younger ones.

And like many teens they believe that their problems are so big that they encompass everything and in the meantime if they looked at the big picture, maybe they would have been less pissed, desperate, and vulnerable. And while their all having their problems with many issues that teens face(sexuality, unrequited love, etc), someone who is older and is a predator can easily pick each one. Akio is very intelligent, but it isn't terribly hard to manipulate confused teens, especially if you're nice, trustworthy *gag*, and hot.

I fell in love with someone in the 8th grade and literally felt like I was dying for a year, but as I look back on it, it wasn't that big of a deal. Which goes back the entire illusion thingy. They themselves believe they are adults, they believe they are smarter then everyone else, but inside they're vulnerable and confused.
Like watching any high school show, the problems aren't that big. And as soon as they are thrusted into the adult world, they are weak, because they aren't adults, but they pretend to be.
Gotta love SKU. etc-love

#37 | Back to Top07-02-2009 02:32:16 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

YostinAust wrote:

But their satus is self defined. I know 120-pound weaklings who think they could take on anyone at the school due to their (fake) knowledge of pressure points. I think anyone can just declare superiority, the spanner in the works being the presence of other human beings.

Not really, there were people like Keiko, Wakaba and Tsuwabuki who adored their respective members of the Setokai. Also, Miki has many fans among the school that proclaimed his academic and musical talent. The admiration of others gave their status a huge boost. The envy of others and the exclusiveness of their club is what drove the Black Rose Duelists to fight for the Rose Bride. Maybe I have your point wrong though, what do you mean by "the spanner in the works"?

Last edited by Syora (07-02-2009 02:34:05 AM)

#38 | Back to Top07-02-2009 07:33:42 AM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

But their adoration could have been misplaced. i'm being really subjective here, but I was personally suckered into the drama of one such person. The drama might have given the Black Rose Duelists a false sense of the student council's superiority. And we don't really meet anyone who obseses over Miki/Saionji/anyone else, we just see them in the background and hear their squaking. I t could all be in their heads, the student council's that is. I meant by spanner in the works that in the real world, the presence of others and moreso the actions of others prevent such illusions from persisting. I may have a friend in crew who kind of believed it when another girl told her that she could bench 200 pounds, but the fact that I've arm wrestled both of them and beaten the braggart while losing to the crew girl disproves the loser's boast.

#39 | Back to Top07-02-2009 12:34:47 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I feel that status is something that is given to you by other people when they acknowledge your accomplishments or admire your traits. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one Yostin. etc-love

#40 | Back to Top07-20-2009 02:50:36 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

I disagree that the Student Council is made of "bigger losers" than the Black Rose Duelists. When push comes to shove, the Black Rose Duelists are just as desperate as the Student Council. It only takes about two minutes of therapy each episode to push the Black Rose Duelists off the edge and into the dueling arena. The reason the Black Rose Duelists aren't as active as the SC isn't because they're wiser or more mature. They didn't see through Akio's games. They didn't consciously walk away from the Duels, or try to tear it apart from the inside out like Utena did. Instead, the Black Rose Duelists were so insecure that they weren't capable of openly seizing their ambitions with their normal mindsets. They had to have Mikage and Mamiya artificially remove their sense of helplessness in order to even pose a threat to Utena. In that way, they're arguably even "weaker" than the Student Council, because the SC at least actively tried to achieve what they wanted. "Knowing your place" and "not even trying" isn't inherently noble. It's what Captain Hammer in Dr. Horrible would want you to do.

Last edited by Nights1stStar (07-20-2009 02:53:02 PM)

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

#41 | Back to Top07-20-2009 03:07:28 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

The problem with high school (and other people's perceptions of it) is that it's not a good basis for adult success. Some valedictorians become millionaires, others don't. Some popular kids live stable lives; others end up on welfare. And some geeks and so-called losers use their creativity and open-mindness to end up in history books and world record lists, but other geeks and so-called losers just fade away into the masses, so that months after they die, nobody will remember who they are.

It all comes down to a combination of personality, talent, effort, and luck, but as a soon-to-be high school senior, I'm thinking hard about how high school has actually helped me in any of the above, and I'm drawing a blank. Maybe in the future, I'll be glad that school taught me how to endure pain/anger/whatever, but for now...

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

Board footer