This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-04-2007 01:23:59 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Test Your EQ!

Emotional Intelligence or EQ, is the capacity for effectively recognizing and managing our own emotions and those of others.  Emotions have the potential to get in the way of our most important business and personal relationships.

To do the test on your EQ, go to this site http://www.ihhp.com/quiz.htm

I scored a 43

Last edited by Tamago (06-04-2007 01:25:51 AM)

#2 | Back to Top06-04-2007 01:49:28 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Test Your EQ!

I got 45. I win emot-tongue

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top06-04-2007 02:30:43 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Maarika wrote:

Oh you're soooo mature school-freudemot-tongue

#4 | Back to Top06-04-2007 04:29:10 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

49. emot-dance

It's good since my major is psychology, I guess. Except when I get overly sad when feeling sympathy for others in bad situations, even when it's someone I dislike. Like my mom. emot-gonk

#5 | Back to Top06-04-2007 04:48:46 AM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

51.  Having to take care of my mom emotionally all the time at an early age I think has helped me develop a sensitivity to how other people are feeling and recognizing what I'm going through and why.

#6 | Back to Top06-04-2007 05:03:54 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

29. I guess my EQ is the lowest here... emot-gonk
Not mature enough.
emot-tongue

#7 | Back to Top06-04-2007 05:37:21 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Wow.  They gave me a 42, which shows that this test is waaaaay off.  Above average, indeed.emot-rolleyes

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top06-04-2007 06:22:09 AM

Starfire
Rose Smilee

I got a 53...due to huge sibling rivalry as a kid, me learning how to make my siblings behave in a way that I liked, parents constantly fighting and then divorcing and me having to deal with parents trying to get me to pick one of them to live with and then me having to make the decision for my siblings...yeah my score makes sense.

Edit: I'm also training to become a psychologist so I guess that helps.

Last edited by Starfire (06-04-2007 06:23:42 AM)

You know you want to. You need to. You have no choice. Do it.

#9 | Back to Top06-04-2007 06:38:42 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Tamago wrote:

Maarika wrote:

Oh you're soooo mature school-freudemot-tongue

I was actually thinking of editing my post the second after I had submitted it to add a comment similiar to yours, but then laziness happened.
Sometimes I just can't resist. emot-tongue

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#10 | Back to Top06-04-2007 07:04:23 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I gots a 47. But it was based off only a few questions so I don't really believe it.

#11 | Back to Top06-04-2007 07:32:55 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

I got a 37. Which I guess would be some kind of average score? (:

I doubt most of these evaluation tests, especially those with so few questions. But at least they don't take long to fill out and most importantly, they're fun. n_n As for any of my own insight, I think I lost major points on being unable to control my own emotions, but scored quite a few when it comes to understanding other people's feelings.

#12 | Back to Top06-04-2007 07:36:42 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I started it, but i couldn't finish it, my translator doesn't work right now.

#13 | Back to Top06-04-2007 08:03:36 AM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

I got a 35...emot-confused

that's average?

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#14 | Back to Top06-04-2007 08:19:26 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

that's average?

"Yup", said by the person who barely passes her math classes. I have no idea. Anyone want to make an equation based on the current scores? "How much EQ does an average IRGer have?" emot-tongue

#15 | Back to Top06-04-2007 09:11:45 AM

Starfire
Rose Smilee

The average so far is 43.1! I saw Arki's post and the nerd in me had to do the calculation.emot-keke

You know you want to. You need to. You have no choice. Do it.

#16 | Back to Top06-04-2007 10:20:24 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

39 here, but I didn't understand most of the questions, so I don't know how accurate that is.  "I stay relaxed and composed under pressure" -- what sort of pressure?  "I stay focused in getting a job done" -- what sort of job?  "You can change even your basic leadership ability considerably" -- what do you mean by leadership?  Would I know these things if I had a high EQ?

#17 | Back to Top06-04-2007 10:29:00 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Meh.  42.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#18 | Back to Top06-04-2007 11:47:44 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

36. Not as mature as I want to be.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#19 | Back to Top06-04-2007 01:21:18 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

i have 53.

you know, it doesn't  mean anything for me- I could think that I'm calm and I see people's moods, but in fact be egocentric and blind for theirs behaviour. it depends from honesty.

#20 | Back to Top06-04-2007 01:27:07 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

37. I didn't do too well. I usually go through tests like that without putting a lot of thought into my answers.

#21 | Back to Top06-04-2007 01:58:50 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

The last thing I am is a martyr.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#22 | Back to Top06-04-2007 05:02:04 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I grant it that that test is a bit simplistic so I found a better one:

http://quiz.ivillage.co.uk/uk_work/tests/eqtest.htm

This ones got better questions even thou I only scored 55% which is below average.

#23 | Back to Top06-04-2007 05:21:06 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

39 here, but I didn't understand most of the questions, so I don't know how accurate that is.  "I stay relaxed and composed under pressure" -- what sort of pressure?  "I stay focused in getting a job done" -- what sort of job?  "You can change even your basic leadership ability considerably" -- what do you mean by leadership?  Would I know these things if I had a high EQ?

I got a 37 and felt the same way. emot-mad

Then I took the other one and got 50%, which is below average. Okay, so not especially good at the emotions. emot-frown The first test used a lot of questions that were so generalized you could hardly answer. The second asked nothing but socially oriented questions, which is better, but also suffers if you overcalculate your answers. Only one question had 'it would depend on the friend', where that would have been my answer to all of them. How you approach a new managerial position should vary depending on the group you're overlooking.

Then again, what's the EQ for a person that knows the 'right' answer but tends not to do it anyway? emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#24 | Back to Top06-04-2007 05:34:15 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Then again, what's the EQ for a person that knows the 'right' answer but tends not to do it anyway?

Thats the greatest limitation of the EQ test is that unlike an IQ test, most people would know how to score really high just by answering dishonestly'

Psycopaths in particular would score very low on a truely comprehensive test that is if they answered truefully but unless you get them to do the test while their brain is been monitored with an MRI scanner to see if they were telling the true or not, they would most likely put don't what they know were the best answers not the ones they would actually do.

I guess that the new EQ wasn't that much better as it only measured social EQ not the full EQ.

#25 | Back to Top06-04-2007 05:57:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Well actually, can you say a psychopath that knows the right answer has a low EQ? They fail on the applied EQ, but they'll ace any test you throw at them. And just like IQ, it's a whole different ballgame, testing something and measuring its worth applied. IQ tests, especially given to the young, are full of 'make this shape out of these pieces'. Given this narrow challenge, a lot of people score highly on accomplishing this task that wouldn't score the same if the task was adjusted to real life because they'd first need to identify a whole other range of factors before that task was clear. Person A and person B score the same IQ based on how they arrange the blocks to fit the shape on the card. They both grow up to be engineers. Person B, however, is far better at not only fitting the blocks to the shape needed, but accounting for doing it in the least time, with the least money, and in the most efficient pattern. They have the same IQ, but one's clearly more intelligent than the other where it's applied.

EQ I think suffers the same problem, but magnified. Half of what would be someone's high EQ is decided by their ability to see multiple angles of a situation and judge from there what the best course of action is. If you have a disagreement with someone at work, the answer is often to speak quietly to them about it. That's the right answer on the test. But what if that person has a history of poor conduct and not changing when approached that way? What if you're up for a promotion that would get you away from this person and the wisest course of action would be to shut the fuck up for a while? What if you're under strict instructions from your boss to notify them of any improper behavior on that employees part, because the employee is on thin ice with the company for other, far worse reasons?

As for the more personal EQ stuff, again, the right answer on the test is always the foo-foo 'do some yoga' answer. The tests fail to account for human emotional frailty, and that, at least IMO, a person with a high EQ would understand where their own breaking point is, and whether they've gotten past what a yoga class can do to help them. You've just had a traumatic breakup and the test asks how you cope. There's a foo-foo answer about 'realize it was for the best and move on'. There's 'spend all night crying into a pillow', and it's the wrong answer. The test doesn't account for that one should follow the other, and that sometimes, you need to cry a little. Or a lot.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer