This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-17-2011 07:02:14 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Google+ is better than Facebook. Who wants invites?

Well, that's fair.  As a library-student-soon-to-be-a-librarian, I have mixed feelings about Google Books, but there's no question that the project in its original form flouted copyright law -- and I'm not crazy about the deals Google is trying to reach with publishers, which would give Google Books what would nearly amount to a legal monopoly on mass digitization projects.  Fortunately, it seems like they've got a smart judge who's sensitive to monopoly concerns and knows that any agreement can't bind people who aren't parties to it.  The original Google Books is a good example of a project that might have been good for humanity, but would have been bad for some individual humans, and I'm sorry you felt ill used by it.

With all that said, Google Books is different from Google+.  Google Books' involuntary "contributors" are contributors in a very different sense than they are users.  By contrast, Google+'s users are only users to the extent that they contribute.  For Google+, abusing users' reasonable expectations about what Google would do with their content would cause a massive and service-destroying backlash in a way that Google Books frankly did not have to deal with.  It made a warped business sense for Google to plunge on with Google Books expecting to reach a settlement, but it makes no business sense for them to sabotage their users' hard-earned trust by misusing Google+ data.  Still, I see where you're coming from, and I hope that Google+ revises its terms.

#27 | Back to Top07-18-2011 10:59:36 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I just started one. sleepdebtfairy@gmail.com if you want to add me. etc-love

#28 | Back to Top07-18-2011 12:28:39 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Add me if you like. My address is jiotienlong@gmail.com

#29 | Back to Top07-18-2011 01:37:25 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

You can add me too:
whitneyoctober1@gmail.com

EDIT:  I'm also having quite a difficult time navigating the privacy.  I want to make my profile more private but I can't figure out how.

Last edited by winksniper (07-18-2011 02:29:01 PM)

#30 | Back to Top07-18-2011 05:41:43 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Well, you must have done an okay job, wink, because I can't find you on there emot-smile

Figured this was topical:

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/rights.jpg

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#31 | Back to Top07-18-2011 06:06:56 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Thanks for the post, Yasha, that was helpful for translation.   And after screwing around with it a while I guess I made it too private!  XD I'll fix it now.

#32 | Back to Top07-19-2011 02:45:20 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Nice post, Yasha.

And, I guess Google is actually making an effort to clarify, with additional "don't pimp mah stuff for your ads" options and so. Talked to some agents who are talking directly to Google and feeling better about it. However, the point-by-point is wrong in that "copyright" is the right to make copies, not the right to sell or license for other media - as anime/manga fans we know that well - so the first point is less than solid. They do seem to be approaching this in a good spirit and amending the letter of the contract, so.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#33 | Back to Top07-19-2011 05:54:58 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

However, the point-by-point is wrong in that "copyright" is the right to make copies, not the right to sell or license for other media - as anime/manga fans we know that well - so the first point is less than solid.

Nope, copyright also includes the right to sell or license.  Copyright in the U.S. is a suite of five (technically six) exclusive rights that you get when you produce a work.  Roughly, they are:

1) The right to copy it
2) The right to distribute it
3) The right to perform it publicly
4) The right to display it publicly
5) The right to make "derivative works" (such as the movie of the book, or a remix of the song)

Anyone other than the author who does these things to a copyrighted work without a license or transfer of rights is infringing, unless they can show that it's a "fair use" of the copyrighted work, which is harder to do in practice than in theory.  So, yes, copyright does include the right to sell or license for other media.  school-eng101  It's a bit of a misleading word, and creates a lot of confusion among people who haven't spent a thousand dollars taking classes on IP, which leads one to wonder whether copyright laws were designed to protect ordinary human beings who are authors, or big publishing corporations with lawyers.  (HINT: THE SECOND ONE)

Last edited by satyreyes (07-19-2011 06:03:00 AM)

#34 | Back to Top07-19-2011 12:52:54 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

satyreyes wrote:

Nope, copyright also includes the right to sell or license.

Badly phrased, I meant it doesn't stop there. It's primary concern is the right to reproduce.

I am sated, though, and taking on good faith, I joined up. Plus, I'm weak.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#35 | Back to Top07-19-2011 05:33:57 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

While I understand that this whole Google+ is accessible only through invites in order to make people feel compelled to test their own popularity through joining and allows them to feel special exclusive snowflakes...

It bloody works. emot-biggrin atroposlachesis@gmail.com

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#36 | Back to Top07-19-2011 07:22:39 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

While I understand that this whole Google+ is accessible only through invites in order to make people feel compelled to test their own popularity through joining and allows them to feel special exclusive snowflakes...

It bloody works. emot-biggrin atroposlachesis@gmail.com

Just added you!

#37 | Back to Top07-20-2011 01:08:40 AM

Katzenklavier

Sweeeeet Hiraku and thanks dood! But...what do I do now? emot-confused

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#38 | Back to Top07-20-2011 10:54:02 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

Sweeeeet Hiraku and thanks dood! But...what do I do now? emot-confused

I added you too; you didn't get an invite?  Let me try sharing an update with you, and with any luck you'll get an email.  emot-smile

#39 | Back to Top07-20-2011 12:39:02 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Katz, I'm trying to add you and I'm having some difficulty in doing so! I searched for you via your email, but my results came up as "sharing via email only"; I'm not quite sure what that means. Brian and Hiraku, could you please offer any help? emot-frown

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#40 | Back to Top07-20-2011 12:49:34 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

bella wrote:

Katz, I'm trying to add you and I'm having some difficulty in doing so! I searched for you via your email, but my results came up as "sharing via email only"; I'm not quite sure what that means. Brian and Hiraku, could you please offer any help? emot-frown

Mmmmm.... I just added Katz, but there's an email icon at the corner...
@Katz, Just wondering... have you joined Google+ yet with your email account: atroposlachesis@gmail.com? emot-confused
Usually, I thought the appearance of an email icon at the corner means that the user has not joined googleplus yet, I could be wrong.

If you haven't joined, I can send you an invite to that email and you can join, and then you can find us and add.

EDIT: Just sent an invite to that gmail account, Katz, check your inbox when you can. Or your spam if you gmail filtered it there.

Last edited by Hiraku (07-20-2011 12:50:32 PM)

#41 | Back to Top07-20-2011 07:48:37 PM

Katzenklavier

I'm on now! I guess Google+ didn't think I was cool enough at first, but I won them over with my dapper suit and bowler hat. Thanks lovelies!

#42 | Back to Top07-21-2011 07:02:20 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Katzenklavier wrote:

I'm on now! I guess Google+ didn't think I was cool enough at first, but I won them over with my dapper suit and bowler hat. Thanks lovelies!

I'm quite pleased that you've won google+ over (especially if you've done so with a dapper suit and bowler hat), but I still can't seem to find you. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting a link to your google+ profile?

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#43 | Back to Top07-23-2011 02:49:37 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I love that the majority of my g+ friend's list is all IRG people. As in, a much smarter, more interesting friend's list than on facebook.

#44 | Back to Top07-23-2011 07:47:38 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I'm sticking in a toe, but not liking that links and contact info is sort of all or nothing.  I can't say "IRGers can see my email, but only Family can see that and my mobile."  Or more importantly narrow down individually who can see which link. I'd like to be able to put in my anime/manga blog, but I only want that seen by IRGers and Friends.  My librarianship blog I'd probably only want linked for just my coworkers.  Now granted, any of these could be found by using a search engine, but it wouldn't be immediately clear upon visiting them that I'm the author.  I do like that it allows you to pick your privacy preferences as you go though.

#45 | Back to Top07-23-2011 09:10:00 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I agree about wanting to segment my contact info, Mylene!  They've been responding to user feedback quite a lot in these first few weeks, so if we put it in as a feature request it might happen.

#46 | Back to Top07-24-2011 12:51:21 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Invite me at calla_anthiena @ yahoo ~

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#47 | Back to Top07-25-2011 09:07:16 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Am I like, the only person online who doesn't have a google+?

Well, I guess I haven't been online, so that makes sense.

#48 | Back to Top07-28-2011 01:48:32 AM

iatemylavalamp
Touga Topper

I'd be very happy if someone invited me! I'd really like to check it out. etc-love Mine is girardin.rosalie@ gmail

#49 | Back to Top07-28-2011 05:54:55 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lavalamp, sorry for the inconvenience, but it's telling me I can't add you without knowing your name.  Probably it's because you're not on the service yet and it doesn't know how to name you internally.  If you post or PM me (or someone else) your name, we should be able to add you emot-smile

#50 | Back to Top07-28-2011 12:06:08 PM

iatemylavalamp
Touga Topper

It's okay, I got an invite! This will take some getting used to...  Here's me!

Board footer