This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-13-2007 12:59:45 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Job tips?

I hate living in Mississippi sometimes.

It's really hard to get a job. At least, I noticed it is compared to other states. Either that, or potential employers hate me because I look like I'm 13.

I'm trying to get my first job this summer and I'm 20, and I've been trying since last year. So has my sister, who is 18, since she was 16. I know I started late, and I have no experience, but that's no excuse for her not being hired. Most people here want you to be at least 18. \:

My sister just got a job at Subway a few days ago, and had her first day of training yesterday.. but.. they fired her today. Because she seemed too anxious/spazzy. Now, I'm a little confused. Isn't one day a little too much to make that kind of judgment? I know my sister, and she's usually very mellow. If she had more training I'm sure she would have gotten used to it.

It's also aggravating because I do technically have something to use as experience.. but I don't have the information for it. In high school, I was part of an art program, and I was selected to be in an "internship" (coughcoughtheywantedafreemural) to paint a mural at a coffee shop for my grade and something to slap on my portfolio/job applications. But, the manager of the coffee shop moved away recently after. My art teacher can reference how I worked on the mural, but I still have nothing to put under previous jobs or volunteer work.

FEH. I apologize for ranting. I'm just looking for.. help, I guess, because I don't know what to do. Any tips? I got my child psychology teacher to be a job reference today, and I can use my art teacher from the past. I'm generally very shy and I dread talking to managers, but I'll force being cheerful for a job. Actually, I want a job more for the experience and learning to be less shy than the actual money. I'll take the cheapest pay. I don't really buy much, anyway.

I mostly just feel like I'll never get a job at this point and it makes me feel completely worthless. From what I've heard of from friends in other states, it was much easier for them to get jobs (and much younger) and I'm wondering if it's just me or just Mississippi's horrible unemployment rate.

etc-love ?

#2 | Back to Top04-13-2007 01:28:44 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Job tips?

I suppose getting a job depends a lot on what kind of job you want. For example, there's a big difference between a full-time job and a part-time job. You also have to think about how you'd like to work, on your own or with other people etc, there's a lot to take into consideration. Basically, if you know what you're good at and what you think you could handle, then you shouldn't have problems getting the work done.

Another thing is actually getting hired. I was looking for a job last summer but didn't really find anything. Before I was hired for my current job (I deliver newspapers in the morning, it's a part-time job 'cause I still have to go to school eveyday emot-tongue), I was only able to get a few random part-time jobs. I didn't get a reply when I first applied for my job until months later they called me and asked whether I still wanted to work with them. A lot of employers and companies will accept your CVs and applications if you mail them or fill them out on their websites, but they don't really reply unless they're desperate about fining new employees. I think it would be a much better idea to give them a call if you're interested and ask them straight. This way you don't have to wait pointlessly and you'll get your answer right away. I think one of the reasons why I couldn't find a job last summer was 'cause I didn't really like the idea of calling all those people and ask about the jobs. I was quite shy at that time but I've been getting over it. There's aboslutely nothing to lose even if they should refuse. emot-smile

You can find job offers from newspapers and from the internet, or simply ask around. Maybe a friend of yours has a job and could get you hired too?  And sometimes (I've seen this happen a few times, it's weird) you can even call some company and ask whether they need to hire anyone, even if they don't have a job advertisement anywhere. Chances are they might.

I don't have any experience with job interviews, but I've heard that if you leave a confident and positive impression of yourself then it's a very good way to get the job. I think this works with most things. I've also noticed that people want to hire those who already have some experience, but I'm sure there are employers who'd hire inexperienced people if they get a good impression on them. Such as tell them you really want the job (and maybe why you want it), or generally make them feel that you'll be able to learn new things and that you might like the job.

Um, I hope this was of any help. I know how hard it is to get a job so good luck to you! Don't give up if you can't find what you're looking for, just keep trying! ;D

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top04-13-2007 08:03:14 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Maybe even more important than being cheerful at the interview, show that you are confident.  Go into the interview with the mindset that "I will get this job because I am the best person for it, and I will tell the manager exactly why I am the person they need for this position."  This is the approach that I took to get my current job, and I'm pretty sure it helped.

Now, I am generally a shy person that keeps to myself, but I really wanted to get the job I was applying for, so I put that aside and went into the interview determined to say why I was right for the job.  Explain your strengths, but do not brag.  As long as your references are good, they will do the bragging for you (probably without realizing it), when they are asked about your character.

So be confident, and show that you are interested in the job.  The only thing that may be more difficult is consciously avoiding saying things like "um" as you answer questions.  No matter your personality, if you show confidence, that should increase your chances of getting the job at least by half.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#4 | Back to Top04-13-2007 01:43:57 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Yeah, I second IBB, show confidance is a key to successful job interviews. I switch jobs ALL THE TIME, working in the service industry, you have the... luxury? curse? of doing so. Also, my mother worked for several years at the Texas Workforce Commission, which is a place where people go to sign up and get jobs. She taught the courses on resume prep, and helped indivdual clients get into... well, some were going for actual "careers" like men who wanted into such and such factory, or some people just wanted a started job for experience, and some just wanted to pretend to meet whatever was the state requirement to keep them on their government assistance...

One tip she gave me, that I never forgot, was actually a statistic that it takes on average 10 resumes sent out to get ONE call back. That is the average. You can also take that to mean, filling out applications at resturants and things. So, remember that you'll need to find 10 places to go and apply, to have 1 chance. So, now that you know that it takes so many, don't be discouraged as you know it will take many tried to get one hit.

Then, I'd say shyness, which I had a MAJOR problem with (not just your average self-concious teenager, but X's 10) will most certainly GO AWAY if you get a bartending job. Schools in Mississippi for that? I want to say that it's every job, when you work with people, but I don't think so, waitors, or people who are customer service and listen to calls and gripes seem to come away hating people much more than actually feeling comfortable around them. But alcohol soothes the savage beast, and people end up being friendly and talkative, even the most vicious of customers, after being served a few shots, will loosen up. AND, they want to talk, about their problems and concerns, you can hear so many life stories, it's unreal... like reading a book everynight when you go to work. It's enjoyable! So, I would definitely recommend it, besides for the fact that you can make MAD CASH without a degree, and usually work hours around/after school if you are attending...

I actually asked my grandfather, who is the loudest, bossiest, rudest, most commanding person I know, how he became that way... he told me when he was a teenager, he was shy and spoke with a lisp even. But, he signed on with the Navy and ended up bartending, and that job removed his shyness. So, I listened to him, and made the same choice. The SAME thing happened with me! I can chat anyone up now, no problem. Still inside, very akward feeling, yes, but mask them so well, and much much less than they used to be, certainly... so highly recommended.

But, if that is not an option, then just remember the 10 for 1 tip, and remind yourself so that you aren't discouraged when it takes so many tries. Even though you've had artistic experience, art jobs are HARD TO COME BY in the South, I know as "art" is my major and I have to MOVE away to get a job in my area of expertise... so to begin, you might just target something to get over somewhat the shy qualities...one of my first jobs was a dispatcher for a cable company. Had to talk to all of the technitians to tell them where to go, blah, blah, and I was a young girl, and they were all middle-aged men, so you can guess what flirting ensued (on their part) and how fun it was for me being very shy and unable to return their flirting compliments - good experience though, for the next job, bartending, where people flirt right into your face! Each little step of these jobs give experience for the next, bigger and better one you like, until you finally blast off into a career, or decide to stay somewhere that the money is excellent. Because that, in the end, is what it's all about... the most money, with the least time involved. emot-keke

You'll do great!!! We will be pulling for your success! emot-smile

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#5 | Back to Top04-15-2007 11:00:33 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Ack. Sorry for responding so late. But thanks to everyone who offered advice. poptart etc-love etc-love etc-love

Maarika wrote:

I suppose getting a job depends a lot on what kind of job you want. For example, there's a big difference between a full-time job and a part-time job. You also have to think about how you'd like to work, on your own or with other people etc, there's a lot to take into consideration. Basically, if you know what you're good at and what you think you could handle, then you shouldn't have problems getting the work done.

It's for a part-time job. emot-keke I think I would be better working at places like bookstores.. but is it true that your first job always has to be at a fast food place? That's what people always say here, and there are a lot of fast food places here. But I hate fast food, and I can't stand touching it or other greasey unhealthy foods. So even if I wanted to get a job there I don't know if I would do well there at all. But if it was true, I would think that is pretty unfair, mostly because I hate those places and how they dominate everything. Er, sorry for ranting. ):

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Maybe even more important than being cheerful at the interview, show that you are confident.  Go into the interview with the mindset that "I will get this job because I am the best person for it, and I will tell the manager exactly why I am the person they need for this position."  This is the approach that I took to get my current job, and I'm pretty sure it helped.

Now, I am generally a shy person that keeps to myself, but I really wanted to get the job I was applying for, so I put that aside and went into the interview determined to say why I was right for the job.  Explain your strengths, but do not brag.  As long as your references are good, they will do the bragging for you (probably without realizing it), when they are asked about your character.

So be confident, and show that you are interested in the job.  The only thing that may be more difficult is consciously avoiding saying things like "um" as you answer questions.  No matter your personality, if you show confidence, that should increase your chances of getting the job at least by half.

Yeah, a lot of people have told me that confidence is important. Sadly, that is the thing I struggle most with. I am a very unconfident person, but also pretty determined and optimistic. (I'm not sure how that works) But, to get a job, I'll have to do my best at appearing and being more confident. Hopefully if I can get my first job and do well at it, I can do better with being more confident for other jobs. \:

Frosty wrote:

But, if that is not an option, then just remember the 10 for 1 tip, and remind yourself so that you aren't discouraged when it takes so many tries. Even though you've had artistic experience, art jobs are HARD TO COME BY in the South, I know as "art" is my major and I have to MOVE away to get a job in my area of expertise... so to begin, you might just target something to get over somewhat the shy qualities...one of my first jobs was a dispatcher for a cable company. Had to talk to all of the technitians to tell them where to go, blah, blah, and I was a young girl, and they were all middle-aged men, so you can guess what flirting ensued (on their part) and how fun it was for me being very shy and unable to return their flirting compliments - good experience though, for the next job, bartending, where people flirt right into your face! Each little step of these jobs give experience for the next, bigger and better one you like, until you finally blast off into a career, or decide to stay somewhere that the money is excellent. Because that, in the end, is what it's all about... the most money, with the least time involved. emot-keke

Wow, I didn't know about that. emot-aaa But it makes sense. I think the most applications I've turned in at once is about five or six, because of the lack of locations around here. I'll make it my goal this summer to turn in at least ten applications. :3

As for alcohol...my parents are alcoholics, and in general I can't stand the stuff and would feel very uncomfortable being around people drinking. emot-frown But thank you for the suggestion.

And sorry for my "blah" replies. I'm having my once a month PMSy day where I hate everything about myself and how my parents have raised me. emot-biggrin Getting a job has been one of the things that has been stressing me out the most, lately. So I want to try extra hard to get one for this summer and save up money for college and getting away from my parents. (Gah, reading this, I really do sound pathetic. ): )

But, er.. RAWR, I MUST SUCCEED! XO!!

But, seriously, thank you for the advice, everyone. emot-keke I need to meditate more on being more confident.

#6 | Back to Top04-15-2007 11:58:42 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Frosty wrote:

Even though you've had artistic experience, art jobs are HARD TO COME BY in the South, I know as "art" is my major and I have to MOVE away to get a job in my area of expertise...

Ahh, I've heard about that so many many times. emot-gonk I think art jobs are hard to come by EVERYWHERE! I admire everyone who can make a living off their art. Most free-lance artists are probably starving. Of course, that doesn't apply for all, but I've heard of it so many times. Hehee, after I finish high school I'm going to apply to an art college! emot-tongue (The tongue smiley is back, yay!)

Frosty wrote:

Because that, in the end, is what it's all about... the most money, with the least time involved. emot-keke

That's a good point, actually. But I don't think it's alaways about the money.
There are people who have a job they don't like and they don't make much money with it, and yet they have no other choice but to do it. Then there are people who have a job they enjoy but they don't earn much. And lastly there are also people who have a job they love and they also make a decent amount of money with it. Either way, people who do something that they enjoy appear to be the happiest. And in the end, isn't that what's worth the most?
I couldn't imagine doing something I dislike from day to day.

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

It's for a part-time job. emot-keke I think I would be better working at places like bookstores.. but is it true that your first job always has to be at a fast food place? That's what people always say here, and there are a lot of fast food places here. But I hate fast food, and I can't stand touching it or other greasey unhealthy foods. So even if I wanted to get a job there I don't know if I would do well there at all. But if it was true, I would think that is pretty unfair, mostly because I hate those places and how they dominate everything. Er, sorry for ranting. ):

Hehe, I've heard the same thing being said around here too. I suppose it's easy to get a job at a fast food place, mostly 'cause most people wouldn't want to work there. emot-biggrin
You have to make sure where you would never want to work so that it would be easier for you to choose something. For example, maybe it's not only fast food places you don't want to work at, perhaps it's the whole food industry? I remember you said you wanted to get a job for summer. Usually there are lots of seasonal jobs available at that time, so keep checking job advertisements. I'm not sure if places like bookstores have part-time jobs since stores in general need workers for a whole day, or as long as they're opened. Then again, public places such as libraries do accept part-time workers more often (around here, at least). Just go tell them you're looking for a job and who knows, maybe they have something for you?
I don't know how it is where you live, but here when we work in night shift, our hourly pay rates are doubled. I deliever newspapers in the moring. Yes, I wake up at 4 in the morning. Yes, I work 6 days a week. But I also work for only about 2 hours  everyday, so it is not much at all. The pay is quite good considering that I work so few hours and that what I do is so simple. I really like my job 'cause I can get all that time for myself and I don't have to talk to anyone. I remember it was very hard to get used to waking up so early and I was sometimes sleep-deprived. Then again, this job is especially nice in the summer, it's like taking a walk around the town when everyone's sleeping. emot-keke

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Yeah, a lot of people have told me that confidence is important. Sadly, that is the thing I struggle most with. I am a very unconfident person, but also pretty determined and optimistic. (I'm not sure how that works) But, to get a job, I'll have to do my best at appearing and being more confident. Hopefully if I can get my first job and do well at it, I can do better with being more confident for other jobs. \:

Hehe, I think if you're determined and opimistic then confidence is not hard to come to you. ;D You have to believe in yourself more! I remember being very unconfident myself, even some of my teachers told me that I should be more confident and that I shouldn't underestimate myself. At that time, I didn't really understand what they meant, but now I've realised that they were quite right. I've noticed that being shy is also connected to confidence. If you get over your shyness then it'll be easier to gain more confidence. I'm not the best person to give advice on this since even now I'm not very confident, but I know I'm doing much better than before. Anyways, I think the best way to get over shyness is to just go out there and do it. Do what you have to, and do not even think about it. It may sound weird and even irresponsible, but that's just what I did. Well, the point is you shouldn't wonder or overthink about things too much, there's no need for it and if you do then sometimes it might make you doubt and hesitate and you get nothing done. If you want to ask the manger about a job, just ask. Don't even think about it. That's what I did. I didn't get the job though, but I got rid of my shyness (more or less emot-tongue) so it was well worth it. I'm not sure if this would work for anyone, but you could still try. Maybe it helps.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#7 | Back to Top04-16-2007 06:54:54 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I agree with a lot of what others are saying.

I'm very "shy" to the point of social anxiety.  But due to the fact that I have worked consistently in customer-service oriented jobs, I am able to put myself in a different place, mentally, of "it's business."  Lucky thing with business is that the rules of appropriate behavior are defined a lot better.

So when I go in for an interview, I talk myself up.  I remind myself of all my qualifications.  It helps that, confidence in other areas aside, I do feel that I can learn to do pretty much anything.

I've noticed that people tend to like it if you come in very professionally and with all your manners out, but relaxed and willing to smile, laugh, or share a personal anecdote. 

Even if they have you fill out an application, resumes are appreciated.  You can say a lot more on a resume and, usually people will read them.  I found that updating my resume every time I have to go on a job search has been a good way to get my confident business face on.

Which comes to this: Even though the manager moved, you can still put the mural on your resume and applications!  Managers at several of my previous jobs have moved on and there probably aren't many people at my first job that remember me.  Just put the name of the business, look up its address & phone number if you can, and write the person's name if you remember it.  The truth is, employers don't even usually check with any of your references--having them is usually enough.  And even if they do, managers moving or leaving is a fact of life.  Even if a place goes out of business, you worked there, you can list it.

So my tips are:

Write a resume.  Don't get too focused on job experience since you have very little.  Focus on other qualifications.  List all the things you're good at, list any award you've ever gotten at school, any art show you've been in, etc.  Then make it into a resume.

This will help you find confidence in your job search.  It helps me, anyway.

Also, find something to be enthusiastic about in each job you apply for.

And keep in mind your problems now for the future.  Take pictures of any future murals for your portfolio--always keep your portfolio in mind.  Get letters of reference from everyone you do any work for (or try, at least).

It's hard to get a job here, too.  We have 2 universities, a college, and 3 technical schools.  The market is absolutely saturated.  I attribute success to luck more often than not.  But I must be doing something right this time around--I got offered 3 jobs the week I started looking.  And I've finally gotten one in my field, so I had to turn the others down.  I'm terribly excited about that, too.

But, no, it's not true that you first job has to be fast food.  I've never actually worked fast food, though I almost did before I got the job I'm leaving now.  My first job was at a movie theater, which is similar, but not quite...  It was fun and gave me my first experience in customer service.  Fast food isn't exactly the knell of death--I tried it for 2 days--McDonalds has absolutely hilarious training videos.

My friend found art jobs hard to come by here as well--but he said there's a lot more opportunity in LA. I think the competition is always fierce in that field.  I imagine that I'm competing against the most obnoxious people I've had classes with.  Haha.  Luckily I'm not really in the "art" field.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (04-16-2007 06:57:28 AM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#8 | Back to Top04-16-2007 11:46:13 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I agree with a lot of what others are saying.

I'm very "shy" to the point of social anxiety.  But due to the fact that I have worked consistently in customer-service oriented jobs, I am able to put myself in a different place, mentally, of "it's business."  Lucky thing with business is that the rules of appropriate behavior are defined a lot better.

That's something I'm trying to do now. I'm shy and not that talkative at all, but when talking to employers I try to be more cheerful and talkative because, as you said, "it's business." I'm hoping more job experience and forcing myself to be more talkative for a job will help me be more talkative in general, too.

Thank you so much about the information about how I can still use my mural experience on a job application/resume! emot-keke I can get all of that information, so it should be fine.. the mural also has my signature on it, too.

I'm not sure if writing a resume would make me feel better about myself or worse, but that's a good idea. (And it's times like these I wish I learned more Spanish when I was younger, or another second language.. They're very helpful.)

rhyaniwyn wrote:

But, no, it's not true that you first job has to be fast food.  I've never actually worked fast food, though I almost did before I got the job I'm leaving now.  My first job was at a movie theater, which is similar, but not quite...  It was fun and gave me my first experience in customer service.  Fast food isn't exactly the knell of death--I tried it for 2 days--McDonalds has absolutely hilarious training videos.

I would take a movie theater job or nearly anything over fast food. emot-keke There might be more emphasis on fast food down here because.. well, fast food is everywhere. Blech. But if it came down to it, I would take it as last resort. I just really, really don't want to, and I hate the stuff with a passion. emot-frown

Thank you so much for your advice. etc-love etc-love

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (04-16-2007 11:48:07 PM)

#9 | Back to Top04-17-2007 03:40:08 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

If you somehow come across a job for being the assitant to a high powered Editor in Chief at a Fashion mag- Wait, that's me fantasizing again.

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

Board footer