This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-23-2015 09:58:10 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Ingress: All Your Portals Are Belong To Us!

Story Time:

So one day I was… not getting out of bed, downloading all the shitty games I could find on my phone to distract myself, and Ingress popped up in the list.  I'd heard it talked about by Cool People, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I booted up the tutorial, and after a few button-presses it was like "now walk over to this portal."  The portal was outside, about half a block away.  I hadn't even managed to put on pajamas the night before, I'd laid there a while holding them and then just given up and slept in my underwear.

I shut the game down that day, and didn't get back to it for a while, but there a bunch of times when I've gotten out of the house entirely because I wanted to go farm a cluster of portals within walking distance.

The Pitch:

This game incentivizes getting out and going for a walk.  And once you're out, it puts a big glowy spot over cool little things like public art and local history sites.  For me, the world seems just a little bit richer when I have the app open, and as I've mentioned, it's a nice little Skinner box directing me towards getting out and about, preferably on foot.  And I appreciate the extra push.

My Player Profile:

Name: KitaYsabell
Team: The Green Team, aka Enlightened, but my alliance to IRG supersedes this, and I'll overlook it if you don't choose to join the same team.
Current Level: 5

If you want me to give you some sort of invitation thing (I think I can help you somehow if I do?) I'll need your e-mail address.

Aside from that, is there anyone else already playing?  What are your experiences?  Any fun/dramatic/interesting stories from the trenches?  How do you approach the story aspect of it?

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#2 | Back to Top01-24-2015 03:15:23 AM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

Re: Ingress: All Your Portals Are Belong To Us!

How long did it take to find you at first? Mine had a hard time finding me inside an apartment building.

I joined the Enlightened because it probably doesn't matter and because you did.

#3 | Back to Top01-24-2015 09:05:50 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm green team, still just level 2 and learning the ropes emot-redface  The other day I tried to attack a blue portal and got the tar beat out of me, so... yeah, I have a lot to learn. emot-smile

My app can locate me immediately even from inside my apartment, but I'm on the top floor.

#4 | Back to Top01-24-2015 09:27:07 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So is this kind of similar to geocaching? I'm told I would like it. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top01-24-2015 09:56:29 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

invite plzkthx

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top01-24-2015 10:07:20 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Yasha wrote:

invite plzkthx

Done.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#7 | Back to Top01-24-2015 10:09:20 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

And done. I should be able to check this out on Monday, or maybe late tomorrow night. Thanks!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#8 | Back to Top01-24-2015 11:10:16 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

Is there any benefit to being invited by someone? I forgot about that possibility and just signed up on my own. Then I actually captured a gray portal and now I'm level 2!

#9 | Back to Top01-25-2015 01:23:51 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

So is this kind of similar to geocaching? I'm told I would like it. cool

Sort of!  It has all of the going-to-places and none of the looking-for-things.  Geocaching is more satisfying to me personally, but it also takes a lot more commitment. emot-smile

I made my first control field!  71 Mind Units for green team.  The innocent people of Palm Cove Avenue do not even know that they are under Enlightened control.  school-devil

#10 | Back to Top01-25-2015 02:25:55 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Wahey!  My first few control fields were tiny, 1 MU each.

As for benefits of being invited… I don't know!  I've never invited anyone before, and I haven't seen anything that's changed since.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#11 | Back to Top01-26-2015 12:11:54 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Level 3!  I found an awesome link opportunity that was really just splitting a quadrilateral into two triangles, which means I made two fields at once and captured 1,800 MU -- enough to actually register on the regional scoreboard.  On the way home, I stopped at a church that is still under construction but already had three unclaimed portals in its parking lot.  I still can't adequately protect new portals, so I just experimentally dropped down an L2 resonator at each of them.  Let's see whether green reinforces them before blue notices and claims them.

#12 | Back to Top01-26-2015 01:03:08 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Wow, you've got huge control fields, Sat!  My largest is a little over 200, I think.

I dinged at L6 today!  I was really expecting to do it last week, but I wasn't making it to school on top of work, what with being sick, and the community college is where I seem to do my major point collection.

Yeah, low-level play is like, focus on capturing portals and links, watch everything you build get wiped out fast, wash, rinse, repeat.  The most useful thing you can do for your team is probably recharging and putting decent mods on high-level portals.  That said, you can start making an impact taking out mid-level enemy portals around L3 or L4, and at L5 I held onto a portal for eight days, but that was probably thanks to whoever threw a couple L8 anchor resistors on it.  I can't wait to find a good target for my new L6 attack powers, so far I've taken on a well-defended L7 portal and had a non-negligable impact, so that was something.

But I also think it all depends on what sort of level the players around you are, and how active.  Like, there's one person who passes by every now again and completely fucks shit up for the green team in the area, and I don't think there's anything I can do about it, I can just make it harder, I can't stop them. And one time I saw a portal that was completely kitted out in L8 resistors and good-quality mods, and it was all one person.  Given that I can only place two L5 or L6 resistors and two mods, I don't even know what kind of level you'd need to be to be able to do that.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#13 | Back to Top01-26-2015 01:21:59 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Weeeird.  This page suggests that there's no way for one person to fill a portal completely with L5+ resonators, much less L8s -- no matter what level they are.  I wonder what kind of bizarre edge case you were dealing with.  Maybe it was a very old portal that got grandfathered in, from before these limits existed?

My control fields are good because there doesn't seem to be a large contingent in New Tampa, where I live.  There's a lot of action up north in Zephyrhills, but the Tampa community seems to be centered around the college.  Some of them make links up and down the major local highway, so I can capture big tracts of residential developments by picking a third point "inland" from the highway.  One of the players in my region just messaged me saying that I should get together with the local crew to talk tactics.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Can you teach me how to attack portals? emot-biggrin  I know that the level of the resonators matters (as does their charge level, I think), and I know that shields somehow reduce the effect of my XMPs; is that all there is to it, or is there some way to blow up resonators more effectively?  I have been soundly defeated in both of the offensive sallies I've mounted so far.  Does the distance between me and the portal matter?  Between me and each resonator?  Am I targeting the portal or the resonator with the XMP?

Last edited by satyreyes (01-26-2015 01:26:23 PM)

#14 | Back to Top01-26-2015 03:29:09 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

When you attack, you're attacking both the portal and the resonators (not resistors, whoops).

You can destroy mods by attacking the portal, and possibly links?  I don't know.  I… uh, I've destroyed about two mods on their own, so don't count on being able to do this, your best tactic right now is probably to attack the resonators.  You change the alignment of the portal by attacking the resonators, when you've destroyed all the resonators on a portal it becomes neutral.  So… yeah, where the resonators appear on the map actually matters.  If they're within your action radius, they get direct damage from an xmp, while the damage to resonators outside of your action radius is much less.  If you use an Ultra Strike, you should be standing RIGHT ON TOP of whatever you're trying to attack, the radius of significant damage is like, a few feet.

My advice is to find a couple of resonators on a portal with minimal mods that's about your level, (and preferably already damaged) go stand on it, and then try out your weaponry.  After a while, you'll get a sense of how much affect you can have on various situations, and start being able to pick fights were you'll be able to destroy some stuff, since resonators that aren't destroyed can be recharged.

As for how to tell how damaged a resonator is, there will be a little bar by it in the portal action menu thing, and the height of that bar tells you what the health/energy of the resonator is.  This doesn't show up in the attack screen and it's a little annoying, but you get the percentage signs.  A good sign is if you're doing double-digits damage to one or more resonators, but… don't expect that unless it's a really low-level portal or you've gained some levels.

As far as the site goes… hmmm.  I've definitely heard of people talking about how getting higher levels allows for more resonators of higher level to be placed on a portal, but these people were also talking about using control fields in ways I can't really work out- that is, you don't break an enemy control field by capturing a portal inside it.  But I do think there will be some benefits after L8, and it certainly isn't more gear to use.  I'm guessing the person who wrote that site made it up to L8, but there are much higher level players around here.  Scrolling through the top agents, I see a lot of L15's and L16's, but there's also some higher-ranked agents of lower levels, so that's definitely not all there is to it.  And I know the portal I saw had switched hands in the last couple of days, so I don't think we're looking at a case of something being grandfathered in.

As far as meeting up with other players in your area, from what little I've seen, that seems to be the norm in a lot of places, or at least the makers of the game want us to think so.  Here, though, there's so many people that there's not really much of a community in the city.

Oh, and as a side note, have you noticed and/or familiarized yourself with the level colors yet?  They range from L1 (yellow) to L8 (indigo) and they're all noticeably different, to the point that I think I could list them all, and you'd be able to recognize them if you saw them.

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (01-26-2015 03:29:52 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#15 | Back to Top01-27-2015 08:05:38 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Still hardly level three, and I'm #33 on the regional leaderboard.  It is actually pretty funny. emot-biggrin

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/ingress_zpsd9138277.png

Thanks for the tips, Kita!  I will try destroying a vulnerable blue portal when I find one that is culturally appropriate for me to walk around suspiciously.  (There aren't many of those in suburbia.)  I have one more newbie question: how come sometimes I get portal keys from hacking and sometimes I don't?  Is it purely at random?  I've been lucky so far, but it seems like random portal keys would make it hard to plan linking ops.

Last edited by satyreyes (01-27-2015 08:13:48 PM)

#16 | Back to Top01-30-2015 01:39:59 AM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

I have one more newbie question: how come sometimes I get portal keys from hacking and sometimes I don't?  Is it purely at random?  I've been lucky so far, but it seems like random portal keys would make it hard to plan linking ops.

I've noticed that too. It makes it harder, which I suspect might be the point.

Kita-Ysabell, thanks for the tip with Ultra Strikes. I managed to waste my first one by standing on top of the portal itself. It also means that there are some portals I just can't hit very well because GPS goes nuts near some taller buildings.

#17 | Back to Top03-13-2015 10:21:52 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

Oooh hey! I submitted a less-generic name for a portal near my house, and I just got an e-mail that my revision had been reviewed and accepted, and I was rewarded with 200 AP! Not much, but still cool.

#18 | Back to Top03-14-2015 02:45:15 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Viva La Resistance! I joined the blue team and am literally just starting my training. PM me for my e-mail if you want to add me.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#19 | Back to Top04-03-2015 04:34:39 PM

Dreaded Claymore
Rose Bride

Hahaha, now we look like Pac-Man. Cute! emot-rofl

And I guess I need to do more memory exercises or something because glyph hacking is really hard.

#20 | Back to Top08-27-2015 04:30:15 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Okay, I  started playing again and own a portal now. I'm still figuring this game out, but I am almost to level two so I must be doing something right. Does anybody know what a Mind Control Unit is? Whatever it is I have one. I need to join my local Resistance chapter.

#21 | Back to Top08-27-2015 05:19:45 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

That took me a while to figure out too, Riri emot-smile  Mind Control Units are based on the number of people who live in a zone that your team controls.  If you look at the picture I posted upthread, you can see green regions where Enlightened portals are connected by lines.  Those are green's zones, and the people living there each become one MU for green.

To get real MU for yourself, you need to make some lines of your own.  You'll do that by linking portals, and here's how you do that.  Pick two portals you want to link.  They both have to be controlled by your faction (blue, in your case, because you are a traitor), they can't already be inside a zone of either color, and you have to be able to draw a line between them without crossing any existing lines.  And they have to be at least kinda nearby, depending on what level they are.  (Higher-level portals can make links from farther away.)  Once you've picked your portals, go to one of them and hack it.  If you are lucky, you'll get a portal key from it along with the other usual goodies; you may already have gotten some portal keys without knowing what they were.  Now go to the second portal and use your app's interface to create a link.  If this portal is close enough to the first one and a line can be drawn between them, and you have the first portal's key, you should see the first portal as an option.  Choose to create the link!  Voila -- the Resistance's dominance expands!

But you still may not get any MU from this, because it's not enough to link two portals.  To make a zone, you have to use links to make a whole triangle.  You can see what these triangles look like in the screenshot I posted.  The easiest way to make one is to find triangles "waiting to be finished" -- places where your team has already created two links, and where you could make the third one to complete the triangle.  When you make this final link, you get the excitement of watching the zone you've just created turn blue, and you'll finally grab some Mind Control Units for yourself. emot-smile

Last edited by satyreyes (08-27-2015 05:21:17 PM)

#22 | Back to Top08-27-2015 11:33:13 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Actually, I think you can make lines inside your own fields, but not the other team's.  I know I've got some Mega Points for making triangles within triangles.

Also, I just looked up glyph hacking.  And I'm level 8.  Yeah.  Have yet to try it, mind.

(hint: hold down the "Hack button" for a while and see what happens)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#23 | Back to Top08-28-2015 08:28:02 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Actually, I think you can make lines inside your own fields, but not the other team's.  I know I've got some Mega Points for making triangles within triangles.

Ohh, is that how that works?  I've seen triangles within triangles, but I figured people must have made the small triangle first, then the big triangle around it.  Now I know!

#24 | Back to Top08-28-2015 04:50:33 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I just started playing! It looks fun. I'm green, because the friend who invited me is green and I wanted to be on his team. Nice to see that most of you are green too. But I'm too proud to throw shade at those of you who play blue. emot-tongue

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#25 | Back to Top08-29-2015 08:43:42 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Thanks for the advice, satyr. I just joined my local group and we're going to meet up at a hot spot tonight. They'll show me the ropes and then we 're getting something to eat. The green slime won't know what hit 'em.  emot-tongue

Board footer