This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top08-03-2011 06:57:02 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Re: "Nice skirt, Saionji," and other dub quotes

...fair enough. I guess it isn't OOC, but I still find it disheartening that she'd do that... Given the circumstances, I guess it makes sense that she wouldn't hesitate to be so blatantly disrespectful of someone she's so utterly demonized through her POV.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#27 | Back to Top12-16-2012 10:38:57 AM

Erifrats101
New Student

Oh my god I'm watching Nanami's Egg in the dub right now, and it's hilarious. I've only watched certain dub episodes in English, but I agree about most of the opinions here. I think the voice I had the most trouble with was Anthy, but I'll see ep 39 in the dub and see if it's better than when I see it  now. Tsuwabuki's voice especially makes me cringe, though. Probably more so than Miki's I daresay.

...Just got to the Touga part... Oh My God his speech is hilarious, XDD And lol at the Generic-Name BoyTrio. And yeah, Anthy sounds better/more tolerable (even though she didn't have much lines in this episode).

#28 | Back to Top12-16-2012 11:38:29 AM

Erifrats101
New Student

As a side note; Yes, Dan Green as Mikage and Mamiya's VA are both excellent in their roles. That's probably what makes the dub so great in the Black Rose arc...[watching ep 20-wakaba duel) I think Wakaba's VA is fairly decent, and it sounds like she voices some of the other faceless/crowd girls, which is interesting/fits with the whole "not special" thing.

If I had to add a quote, Nanami says "Just who the hell do you think you are?!" in ep 32, which made me laugh because I recently watched Gurren Lagann. And in 20, Anthy says something to the effect of  "You must draw the sword NOW." (I think this is when in Japanese she said "The sword, quickly!" I like the little emphasis she uses in the dub.

Edit: Fun fact; Utena's VA (Rachel Lillis) also voiced Chu-Chu.

Last edited by Erifrats101 (12-16-2012 12:07:21 PM)

#29 | Back to Top12-16-2012 04:26:31 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

One of my favorite dub moments happens in episode 25, I think, when Wakaba visits Utena at Akio's place. I forget what she says, but apparently Anthy finds it funny and let's out the most horridly dubbed giggle I've heard, and Akio just glares at her like, "wtf is wrong with you".

edit- forgot a word

Last edited by The_Lame_Goat (02-18-2013 05:51:47 PM)

Oh treachery!

#30 | Back to Top12-16-2012 09:23:19 PM

Erifrats101
New Student

Oh my god I just saw that. Had to rewatch for the lols. And you're right, Akio's glare is totally fitted for it too ("How DARE you emit such horrible sounds in this residence in front of our guests? >:[ "). In the same episode Saionji's against the duels and goes "Don't try to stop me!" and to me that line sounds like he's drunk or something, XD

Last edited by Erifrats101 (12-16-2012 09:23:37 PM)

#31 | Back to Top12-27-2012 08:24:43 AM

what is left of love?
Touga Topper

i can't recall the whole thing specifically, but during Mikage's duel with Utena in Qualifications of a Duelist , i prefer the translation of the speech he gives Utena as they're fighting about the two of them being the same - Dan Green does really well with the part, and the way he just kind of shouts "In the end, you and I are the same!" has a lot more impact on me than the japanese voice actor

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q282/HeartlessMercenaryX/ICONS%20FOR%20LJ/uponwhichIfloat.png

#32 | Back to Top01-04-2013 02:32:18 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I recall reading an interview with Crispin Freeman in which he mentioned the cast didn't know about the rest of the story when they did the first season.  So they were doing the characters based only on the content of the first 13 episodes.  He mentioned that if he had known more about the story he would have done Touga's and the Prince's voices very differently.

Even though I agree it's a pretty atrocious dub, that made me more inclined to respect the efforts the cast put into it.  I don't usually watch it, but it does have moments.  My personal favorite, which is dramatic rather than comic is in Ep 13 when Akio says, "The young always wish to destroy the world."  The subs give a completely different line there, but it always felt so thoroughly appropriate.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#33 | Back to Top01-22-2013 03:05:00 PM

Llarian
Miki Molester
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I recall reading an interview with Crispin Freeman in which he mentioned the cast didn't know about the rest of the story when they did the first season.  So they were doing the characters based only on the content of the first 13 episodes.  He mentioned that if he had known more about the story he would have done Touga's and the Prince's voices very differently.

This explains so much. I appreciate the work that dub actors do because it's quite different from the work of seiyuu.  An English cast rarely gets the chance to record together, as Japanese casts do.

I have never watched the series in English past parts of the first episode, but the "LIVING corpse" intonation is one of those unforgettably unfortunate bits from Akio in the Adolescence film.

What's the point? Art is so useless. It's such a waste of time!
And it's not like anyone else ever wastes time. It's not like you spend hours in front of the television or the computer accomplishing absolutely nothing.
Oh wait.

#34 | Back to Top02-18-2013 08:04:23 AM

Pinchi
Miki Molester

I'm just rewatching episode 32 "Romance of the Dancing Girls" and just for fun I've been switching between japanese and english. When Nanami and Utena are in the bedroom I found some interesting quotes school-sherlock

Japanese quote wrote:

Utena: Can't sleep?
Nanami: You two sleep facing each other like this every night?
Nanami: It's weird.
Nanami: It's like you're sort of crazy or dense or something...

English quote wrote:

Utena: You can't fall asleep?
Nanami: You two really sleep facing each other like this every night? That really freaks me out
Nanami: That's so weird.
Nanami: It's like you're sort of crazily a part of each other together even in sleep...

For some reason, Nanami's last sentence gives more insight than her japanese quote. Anthy and Utena's bedroom symbolism is just a bit clearer to me now. Also, now it makes more sense to me the last scene in episode 34. I've always thought Anthy knew what Utena was dreaming that time (or perhaps she was even having the same dream as Utena)

Maybe Anthy could see Utena's dreams every night? or even manipulate them?

As a sidenote, I read the comments above and I just listened Anthy's laughter in episode 25 with english dub... oh, god emot-gonk

#35 | Back to Top09-10-2013 12:26:15 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Well, it's not the dub, but the English version of the manga contains this gem:

Touga: I knew I had a good eye for women's clothes.

Really, Touga?  Really?

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Board footer