This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-22-2013 08:59:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

5Pointz: An Outdoor Graffiti Art Exhibit in New York City, Now No More

I don't suppose this is a forum full of graffiti enthusiasts, so a quick overview.

5Pointz is complex of buildings along Jackson Avenue in Long Island City (Queens, NYC.) Since 1993, this location has been a major draw for graffiti artists, and has since become considered the 'Graffiti Mecca.' Though never formalized as a historic site or museum or gallery space, it has been carefully curated from within the graffiti community. No one burns there without permission, and a high standard is held for the content put there. The space was owned privately and rented out to a group of the artists, and a truce was therefore held for a long time.

In August, the land was sold to developers to build residential housing. Since then, Meres (the curator for 5Pointz) and the community at large have been fundraising and filing lawsuits to protect the content on the walls there and try to keep 5Pointz the way it is, citing no lack at all of less historically and artistically valuable space nearby.

I don't consider myself a huge graffiti enthusiast, but on November 11th, Yasha and I visited this place on a dreary rainy day. Nevertheless there were people there, photographing, observing, with their kids or with SLR cameras. I wasn't out to record the content here, but I took a decent little batch of crooked images for my own pleasure, as some of it just demanded that kind of respect, especially when the nature of 5Pointz is that it is ever changing. You go one month and it's different from the walls you saw the month before.

The day we left New York, November 19th, we saw in the television in the cab an article stating that overnight, 5Pointz was painted over. With no warning. With no chance given to try and preserve the art in high quality photography or anything. Just gone. All of it. Startling, when frankly everyone was expecting a drawn out legal battle where 5Pointz would in the meantime go unharmed.

So basically, I was there for the end of a historic piece of New York City, and a major artistic site that has few, if any, equals in the world. So I did all I could think of to do. I took my crappy phone pictures and perspective corrected and pieced together as best I could what I took, and put them on a Flickr for posterity.

A few of them are posted here. The rest are on the Flickr.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/10995102883_04e0d05e0e_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/10995095173_7c9fe92a1d_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3735/10995041074_2acec856bf_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/10994877895_05ea3520f9_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5482/10995021184_deb3b8dc51_z.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/10994929996_452db0cc69_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7365/10994982176_6f5435f8bc_z.jpg

This isn't the crap some lame kid sprayed all over the walls in the bad part of town. This is art, temporary from the start, but completely obliterated now. I don't feel obligated to post pictures of what I see at the Met. Monet ain't going anywhere. This? Is already gone.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top11-23-2013 02:18:21 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Re: 5Pointz: An Outdoor Graffiti Art Exhibit in New York City, Now No More

From what I see, your images are not crooked at all! I would kill for a steady hand like that emot-gonk
I especially like the second one, wonderful detail going on etc-love

As someone with aspirations to one day work in the field of architecture and/or urban planning, I'm really shocked at how they approached the situation here.
As one of the integral parts of our education (and, I believe, that of most students in my field at the present ), we are taught that respect for the genius loci is of utmost importance in our job. It might not have been like that before, but today practically everywhere something is built, there is something there already, and more often than not that something has some meaning and importance to someone. Compromise is, however hard to achieve, necessary.
Just in theory, it seems emot-frown
I don't understand how they could be so insensitive. This is obviously a site of great importance and sentimental value to a lot of people, they could have at least asked for their suggestions and opinions. Something like a double wall could be made (weirder things are done in architecture today). And not to mention that they want people to live here, yet at the same time they are killing the spirit of the place-people don't like that, they want to identify with their habitat somehow, and here is an example of the industry destroying a pre-existent identity of the place (that was practically handed to them, and could actually be used as a major selling point), leaving itself with the incredibly hard task of having to make an artificial identity in it's stead.
They could have at least warned people that they were repainting it....
It's a good thing you did with these photos. The art is lovely, which unfortunately makes it's fate even harder to stomach. Let's just hope other people who took photos share them with the public too.

Wikipedia article wrote:

The residential project will set aside a large amount of space exclusively for graffiti.

Perhaps there still is a glimmer of hope?
(All in all, the industry over there is luckier than they know, at least they don't find Roman ruins while digging for the foundations of nearly every new building they try to build...emot-rofl )

Sorry for the rant, but what is being done here makes me very sad (these things always make me emotional, for some reason). I can only promise the world  I'll try not to do such things, if and when I start doing the job...bad examples are learning  material, too, I guess.

#3 | Back to Top11-23-2013 10:49:57 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Snow wrote:

(All in all, the industry over there is luckier than they know, at least they don't find Roman ruins while digging for the foundations of nearly every new building they try to build...emot-rofl )

Well, we do end up finding architectural sites under a lot of planned building locations.  It's just that most of the time, no one cares, because respect for the indigenous cultures of North America is thin on the ground.

Yasha, the pictures you've captured are amazing, it's a real shame things turned out the way they did.  Painting it over in the night without waiting for the legal battle to be over seems like a really underhanded tactic.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#4 | Back to Top11-23-2013 01:07:24 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I've liked street art ever since I saw some of Give Up's work. It's a real shame to see this go.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top11-24-2013 01:17:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Snow wrote:

From what I see, your images are not crooked at all! I would kill for a steady hand like that emot-gonk

That, babe, is all post production. emot-redface

http://i.imgur.com/HyO6EZc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fYmkELy.jpg

Snow wrote:

I don't understand how they could be so insensitive. This is obviously a site of great importance and sentimental value to a lot of people, they could have at least asked for their suggestions and opinions. Something like a double wall could be made (weirder things are done in architecture today). And not to mention that they want people to live here, yet at the same time they are killing the spirit of the place-people don't like that, they want to identify with their habitat somehow, and here is an example of the industry destroying a pre-existent identity of the place (that was practically handed to them, and could actually be used as a major selling point), leaving itself with the incredibly hard task of having to make an artificial identity in it's stead.

It's fairly safe to assume that the buildings going up will attract more wealthy people to the area. Gentrification for the win! This is especially so because 5Pointz is literally on the same block as the subway line, and literally the first stop in Queens after you leave Manhattan. Prime real estate.

But improving the overall wealth of the area is going to do nothing to encourage the artists to come back to the now false venue for their work. It's noble enough I guess that they will set aside space for people to burn, but with that kind of falseness and legitimacy, it's safe to assume it will be curated from outside the community, safe, inoffensive, and never the same as what it was before. Graffiti as art developed to beautify the hard parts of the world where the artists lived. It's not the same as a flawless wall they're invited to paint on while the privileged folk living inside look on in fascination.

Snow wrote:

Well they did find that whole African burial ground in the Financial District a while back. OOPS PILES OF DEAD SLAVES, should probably leave that be, guys! So we did. Makes me laugh that we have the luxury to make decisions like that in the US. If Italy or France had to stop work on every pile of corpses they dug up, nothing would get done. emot-rolleyes

Snow wrote:

Sorry for the rant, but what is being done here makes me very sad (these things always make me emotional, for some reason). I can only promise the world  I'll try not to do such things, if and when I start doing the job...bad examples are learning  material, too, I guess.

There's always a lesson! And you're exactly the kind of person one hopes to appeal to when they do stuff like this. You'll be a decision maker later, or at least a voice to be heard. emot-smile Rant very appreciated. Yasha and I foamed at the mouth the whole way home over it.

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Yasha, the pictures you've captured are amazing, it's a real shame things turned out the way they did.  Painting it over in the night without waiting for the legal battle to be over seems like a really underhanded tactic.

I think it was a tactic to take the fight out of the legal battle. Now that the art is gone, they hope the wind's knocked out of their sails. emot-frown

I'm Giovanna, BTW. Though I understand it's hard to tell us apart. emot-wink We get asked if we're twins all the time.

Riri-kins wrote:

I've liked street art ever since I saw some of Give Up's work. It's a real shame to see this go.

I like it! It reminds me of the Listen Bird we had in Edmonton for a long time when I first started coming. Literally just a bird saying "Listen!" but it was always in cute spots and pretty fun.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#6 | Back to Top11-24-2013 03:06:48 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Whoops, sorry.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#7 | Back to Top11-24-2013 05:07:30 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

It happens more often than you think, even satyreyes has done that once or twice. emot-keke

Anyway you're pretty close, I was all like "GET THAT PICTURE. AND THAT ONE. AND I WANT THAT ONE TOO," so I'm also responsible, although I didn't hold the camera or press the button.

These pictures make me sad now. 5Pointz was gorgeous just because it was so wild compared to "legitimate" art. I hope people tag the shit out of the new buildings and leave the designated graffiti spot completely alone. emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#8 | Back to Top11-24-2013 06:25:34 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

These pictures make me sad now. 5Pointz was gorgeous just because it was so wild compared to "legitimate" art. I hope people tag the shit out of the new buildings and leave the designated graffiti spot completely alone. emot-mad

Yeah, there was a vitality there that just isn't going to come back, I suspect. It was what it was because it belonged to the artists, they made the rules, they decided what was good and not. Now it'll be some developer's idea of what's appropriate to have on the walls.

On one hand, it'd be satisfying for them to come tag the crap out of everything. On the other hand, that would just make things worse for them in the long run, and they already deal with enough trying to have any legitimacy at all as artists.

Board footer