This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1476 | Back to Top01-15-2010 03:22:03 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: [semi-RP] ~*Dueling Forest*~

It's about time for the 14th Duel! This duel will be between me and Aine Silveria. The last One Defeated is Riri-kins, and she's already come up with the duel format. I leave it in her hands to post it before anybody can being a proper duel.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#1477 | Back to Top01-15-2010 03:50:35 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Woo!!! Numbah 14!! *cheer*

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#1478 | Back to Top01-18-2010 11:16:26 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, since Riri's not around -- but she did give me the format for the 14th Duel -- I'll post it on her behalf...

In a PM to me, Riri-kins wrote:

Write a campaign ad for the characters who are trying to revolutionize the world.

Rules:
1.You can write one for any student council member, Utena, or Akio.
2.You must include the character's name, a campaign promise, and a slogan (although it doesn't necessarily have to be in that order).
3. No images. This duel is about the power of words.

Whoever writes the most effective ad wins. Good luck! emot-smile

Example

Vote Juri Arisugawa for Revolutionary
"I swear to debunk the myth of miracles."
Arisugawa in 2010: She's not uncouth. She tells the truth!

I'll need some time of my own to think about what I'm going to put forth, as PR was never one of my strong suits. emot-redface

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#1479 | Back to Top01-18-2010 01:28:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The nice thing about not being an official entrant is that I don't have to follow the rules exactly.  school-devil

Tatsuya Kazami Nominated
Dark Horse Candidate Enters Revolution Race

During an impromptu press conference this morning, eighth-grader Tatsuya Kazami reacted to news that he had won a general election berth with glowing, positive language such as "what?" and "no, fuck that!"  A partial transcript of the press conference, conducted during a Japanese History seminar, follows.

Tatsuya Kazami: All right, if I could have your attention, please, I'd like to begin my presentation about the effect of the 1947 reverse course on postwar reconstruction.
Shadow Girl Media: Tatsuya-kun!  How do you feel about winning the Unpopular Character Party's primary for revolutionary hero?
TK: I... what?!  What does that even mean?  Who are you?
SGM: Tatsuya-kun, can you tell us why students should vote for you in the term-end election?
TK: What election?  Is this for Student Council or something?  I'm not an unpopular character!
SGM: What do you say to critics who charge that you only had a speaking role in one episode and didn't even appear by name in the movie?
TK: I'm plenty popular!  I hang out with Michiko all the time, and Minori too, and Takahiro and I went out for curry just last night!
Utena Tenjou: Tatsuya, no one's ever heard of those people!
SGM: Actually, Shadow Girl Media Enterprises did an expose on Minori-chan's favorite ice cream flavor a few months ago!
UT: No one's ever heard of Shadow Girl media whatever either!
TK: Can we please just get back to the reverse course?
SGM: Tatsuya-kun, how do you react to this scurrilous gossip from your opponent?
TK: My opponent?!
SGM: As you know, the Rose Seal Party has nominated Utena-kun as your general election opposition!
UT: Oh my gawd, is this about the duels?
TK: Duels?  No, fuck that!
SGM: What can your constituents expect from a revolution run by Tatsuya Kazami?  We hear there's a special lady involved!
TK: Revolution?!  Listen, all I really want is for this one girl to like me...
Wakaba Shinohara: You should go for it, Tatsuya-kun!!
TK: ...but she likes someone else, and I'm just trying to get over it, and I don't see what a revolution has to do with...
SGM: Do you have anything catchier?  The article is only going to be one column!
TK: No, I'm not indulging your stupid journalism club or whatever.
SGM: We'll just put you down for "Vote for Kazami: he'll give you salami!"
TK: But I hate salami!
SGM: More for us!

Polls conducted Monday afternoon suggested that 5% of the student body had a positive opinion of Tatsuya Kazami, 3% had a negative opinion, and an additional 92% had never heard of him.  Head-to-head matchup polls against Utena Tenjou show Kazami winning as many as seven students' votes.  Student Council hanger-on Nanami Kiryuu, for one, has pledged to work towards Kazami's victory.  "I have no idea who this guy is," she said of Kazami, "but I can't stand that scum Tenjou!  I mean, I want to see a woman become a prince someday -- but not that woman!"

#1480 | Back to Top01-19-2010 07:15:15 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Eep! Sorry I'm late ,everyone! emot-redface There's nothing more I need to add. Good luck with the match.

(Also, satyr, that was friggin' brilliant. poptart)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#1481 | Back to Top01-24-2010 04:36:16 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Akio Ohtori, current leader of the Revolutionaries, is up for reelection this year.
"I promise to do all I can to regain the lost power of the Prince, so that I may... help all the Princesses of the world again. After all, wouldn't you like to have me as your very. personal. Prince...?"
Akio in 2010: He'll be our Prince again!

Last edited by Aine Silveria (01-24-2010 04:38:08 PM)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#1482 | Back to Top01-24-2010 05:31:12 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Vote Kyouichi Saionji for Revolutionary
"I promise to prove the eternal nature of friendship."
Saionji in 2010: With Eternity and Friendship for All!

#1483 | Back to Top02-05-2010 08:53:04 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, duel's ready to be judged.

And dude, satyr. If you're gonna post something, at least stick to the script. Please? emot-frown

#1484 | Back to Top02-05-2010 10:13:58 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Okay, duel's ready to be judged.

And dude, satyr. If you're gonna post something, at least stick to the script. Please? emot-frown

Not sure why you're bringing it up here, since we discussed it in IM a week ago and I already agreed not to post my own entries to duels I'm not part of; but yes, as I said then, if you think of those entries as unwanted or off-topic I'll stop.  I know if someone posted in IWIW answering the wrong questions or otherwise breaking the rules, I'd be uncomfortable with that, too, so I do understand.  Sorry to have given offense.

#1485 | Back to Top02-05-2010 12:21:18 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I vote for Bio's, but for a weird reason. Nature wasn't used in the same context as in the duel songs, but it made me think of that.

#1486 | Back to Top02-05-2010 12:45:43 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

As of that last post, Razara's post count is 4444. I find that neat. emot-keke

#1487 | Back to Top02-05-2010 02:10:06 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I have KTK's vote in, and she told me that she just got a new job, so voting chances might have to be scheduled around her work calendar. However, she also told me she voted for me. If nobody believes me, I'll post a screenshot of the PM here (because honestly, I could fake anything she said using the quote tags).

Which means the score is two for zero in my favor. But remember what I said about being the One Defeated, Aine? That it's way more fun that being the Champion?

Yeah.

Be evil. school-devil

I await the challenger. In the meantime, I'll do my journalism bit as I always do. PMs will be sent out shortly.

#1488 | Back to Top02-18-2010 08:38:46 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, all. I'm only posting this in my really ugly-ass orange to emphasise the importance of this post. Nothing else; this isn't reflective of my mood (for those veterans keeping score at home, orange doesn't have a mood associated with it, like green and red and purple do).

Anyway, here's the haps. I went long enough without challenging anybody (yet I haven't crossed the threshold yet) that I've challenged spoon-san to the 15th Duel a few hours ago. However, problems loom ahead. I haven't been able to get any kind of response from Aine Silveria, who was the One Defeated in the 14th Duel. Whether it's because she has sporadic Internet access or is just plain upset with me, I can't be sure (because she hasn't said anything to me, of course). I've tried forum PMs, Email and even AOL IMs. The only reason I haven't tried calling her is because I don't have a phone number for her, so that's right out the window. Otherwise I'd be calling her every hour or so and seeing what kinds of angry curses I'd end up receiving.

So here's what's gonna happen, and I'll let EotF'inP and the Poptart Bride know after this gets posted: If Aine doesn't get back to me with any response about being the One Defeated and what that entails before 5 March 2010 (a full 28 days after my victory, thus ending my reign), I'm going to invoke a modified version of our standby contingency for such scenarios, the Reset Rule. Specifically, I'll assume the title of One Defeated, and the 15th Duel will take place between spoon-san and resident man-mod satyreyes so we actually have a duel on our hands. Whoever wins the 15th Duel will have a standing challenge from me immediately after their victory, but I won't let them know that I've challenged them until I've done my usual vIRGin song and dance (the crappy journalism bits you occasionally find if you Archive Binge on GD).

Everybody got that? Everybody cool with that? If anybody involved in the 15th Duel isn't cool with that, either PM me or drop a line to this thread stating what faults you find with the setup.

Peace out and singed toaster pastries,

~~BioKraze, Poptart Seitokaichou

#1489 | Back to Top02-18-2010 09:19:22 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

So basically any activity will be postponed until the 5th of March unless we get response?  Either way, I am fine with that.  I just hope the prompt wont require more than words or not too demanding image work.

#1490 | Back to Top02-18-2010 10:55:36 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Finally got in touch with Aine. Duel format to follow shortly, and then it's up to us, spoon-sama.

She did debrief me about the format in an IM, so I do have a head start. And I'm also finished. I'll wait for you to post your submission before I post mine, spoon-sama.

For the record, I save the format of every duel I am a competitor of. If it's a modified Gallery screencap (like SKUpidity), I'll save it as a JPEG. If other image type, then PNG. All text is saved as RTF using WordPad.

#1491 | Back to Top02-19-2010 11:23:23 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

All right. I would like to see from the pair of you, a drabble. But not any drabble, a drabble of exactly 100 words*. The subject of this drabble must be about an important scene from Utena, from the POV of a minor character or an involved object. Any questions?

*a variance of +/- 2 words is acceptable, to accommodate different word processing programs.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#1492 | Back to Top02-20-2010 01:15:29 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

From the eyes of Akio's projector, inspired by BioKraze from the IWIW I missed. emot-frown

------------

My darkened eyes hone into the sight before me: Master, the she-prince, and the witch.  Finally stopped dead in her tracks, she who stripped me of my powers of creative image, of delusion and magic with her princely words. Clever Master won the duel.  He smiles for me as that troublesome girl keels over from cold steel impaling her taut frame...What she deserves for trying to use my hands against Master. 

Steel clatters.  Tears, words, and sword are exchanged.  The witch slices Ms. Prince's delusion with words. I smirk. 

Today, another champion gazes on all the world from Ohtori's summit.

--

re-posted to fix a tense [he smiles instead he smiled].  So tired.

#1493 | Back to Top02-20-2010 01:23:45 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

(Spoilers:) The scene is from Episode 13, Plotting a Locus, when Akio is speaking to Dios. However, the focus is not Dios, but instead the Globus upon which Dios rests. (End spoilers)

The drabble is precisely 100 words long, according to my copy of Microsoft Office '97. (I'd have used my copy of Microsoft Office 2000, but my install disc is somewhere in a storage locker in town and I'm not writing this from the computer that actually HAS Office 2000 installed on it.) The drabble itself was written in Microsoft WordPad, which comes with any basic installation of Windows 95 up to Windows 7. The original document is saved as a plain Rich Text File (*.RTF).

~~~*~~~*~~~

He appears once more, speaking, as always, of progress and revolution. Sometimes I wonder if he finds a perverse sensual pleasure in his own words. He speaks as if it were nothing more than a game, a trifle to occupy his time as he makes his bid for power. That power which he sacrificed when she took him as her own, so long ago. Memories of events flit through my mind, the memories of the person about whom he speaks. Endless trials and tribulations, only to surmount greater challenges. Then he leaves, and I am blessed with silence once more.

~~~*~~~*~~~

#1494 | Back to Top02-20-2010 07:31:34 AM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Zomg the writing here is crazy. i need to let this roll around for a moment....

I really like them both, but the one i choose would be spoon's. Man guys why did you choose inanimate objects?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#1495 | Back to Top02-20-2010 11:50:35 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I love these entries. emot-aaaetc-love

I choose Spoon's, since the idea of the object that creates illusions having a mind of its own is just plain neat!

#1496 | Back to Top02-20-2010 12:22:11 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

*blinks twice*

That was fast.

Okay, I'll get the PMs sent out after I do my journalism bit. I'll also make an extra post once I get in touch with Aine again. Thanks for the prompt judging, KTK and Razara! emot-keke

#1497 | Back to Top02-20-2010 02:16:25 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Neato.  Thanks all.  Bribes were really worth it.

Yeah, so I'll let a week pass for anyone to challenge and if that favor doesn't come, I have a few people in mind to challenge if I must resort to that.

Thanks again, guys, and Bio for giving me the idea.

#1498 | Back to Top03-02-2010 11:39:23 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, duel time. The 16th Duel, between spoon-san and Melancholic_Soul, takes place now! In honor of Miki's second duel, the sixteenth duel in the series, the challenge presented to our duellists in this 16th Duel is as follows:

Write a drabble of no less than 250 words and no more than 400 words using the image below as inspiration for your work. Remember, though, that the central character of this drabble challenge is Miki, so if you write about Kozue you must remember that she is only a secondary character during this challenge. This duel is a test of your writing skills and also your eye for details in the unlikeliest of places. The work of whichever duellist is said to be the most original (that means try your best not to use stuff we've already said about the Kaoru siblings around IRG) wins the match.

Points will not be taken off for minor spelling and grammar infractions, but running your submissions through a spell checker should take care of that anyway, especially when you're determining word count.

The image is presented below. Good luck, brave kettousha!

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/10774-2/Series_ep26_095.jpg

#1499 | Back to Top03-03-2010 08:21:24 AM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Mel releases the scabbard from her side, opening it to reveal the dulled yellow of an ancient number 2 pencil.
  "Spoon... I must relieve you of your Dios loving fantasies. In another time we might have been friends." Mel charges"

Name: Contemplation
Word Count: 371- http://www.wordcounttool.com/

Sometimes it was easy to forget people were people, even when you stood next to them as they lived and breathed. Miki pretended not to see Kozue, pretended not to notice the shadows that composed her being. He couldn't help it. The pain Miki felt while in the company of his sister intensified as her pulse became visible. It irritated him in ways he could never describe, and the boy found himself contemplating Kozue as a statue. A mobile statue living life without artistry. She might as well be dead. Miki could have done it, could have sliced a perfect tear into the tender flesh of her throat. The line of her neck was flushed from the moon's pale light thrown askance by wandering shadow.
   Easy. It would be easy. Miki turned his face toward the sky where stars seemed to blink in encouragement. Who would suspect or blame him? No one. Who would miss her? Tougher question. She was still a part of him; Still a segment of his life. Was he ready to commit suicide?
   "Brother." The word settled a moment, pausing in air and hanging on the non-existent beat of soundless music. Miki did not respond, and Kozue did not allow him to.
   "I..." The next pause caused the boy to turn, it was unlike Kozue to be unsure. She was staring overhead just as her brother had a moment ago. Miki tried to remember the last time he saw her eyes so innocent. She looked like the girl of their childhood, inspired by some new idea. The expression passed, and Kozue shrugged something away from herself.
   "I'm cold, let's go inside." The girl turned to leave, probably expecting her brother to follow. Miki decided he would rather stay and contemplate the event of her death. He imagined the look she would give him. Would it be one of astonishment? Or would she only scowl at him in reproach? No... if Miki knew his sister, she would stare blankly to the end. Refusing to give him any pleasure on her death bed. That would be difficult, much too difficult for Miki. Sighing the boy turned, it seemed he was not prepared for the dissatisfaction of an untimely death.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#1500 | Back to Top03-03-2010 10:30:06 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

:Unsheathes blade:
Dios is a Prince who loves, but he still is a Prince who punishes those who stand in the way of good.

400 words exactly.  [using google docs which sadly does not grammar check for me.]
----

Kozue leaned against the outside wall of the academy's music room.  Every Thursday night Miki would come here to play on the ebony grand piano.  She could hear, through the half open window, seeing it was a warm August night, the stream of sixteenth notes come, introducing a particular piece the twins wrote in their childhood in that particular garden.  His right* hand only got to a broken A flat diminished when the music stopped.  Kozue sighed and shut her eyes, mind writing out the unseen scene inside those walls.

Miki scooted the piano bench back, causing it to painfully screech against the polished floor.  Standing, abruptly, he turned towards the doorway and spoke.

"Konbanwa, Sensei."

'Konbanwa...Miki-kun."  Spoke an older man.

Kozue shuddered and wrapped her body with her arms as she slumped against the wall.

Inside, Kozue could envision through sound and through a keen imagination the scene to come.

Miki sat back down to the piano bench.   His sensei sat down next to him, to his left, most likely.  The piece started back up as Miki played lead that night and his teacher most magnificently played the sweeping run of sixteenth notes in the bass accompaniment .  All four hands were in time.  Not a single note was off, not a single miss.   So perfect.  So unlike when...

Kozue bit her lip, suppressing a whimper.  A stray tear slid down her cheek.

The piece came to its final chord.  The last note lingered and then faded into silence.

The silence remained for half a minute until it was broken by the abrupt shutting of the piano lid.  The bench, again, squealed, but was muted by another sound most familiar to Kozue as it was a thump akin to that of a body being firmly thrust down onto a hard floor.

Between the rustling of strewn fabric and heavy panting, Kozue could hear her brother's name being uttered by a soft tenor voice.

"Sensei..." Came the breathless response.

"Miki-kun...tonight is a very humid night, isn't it?"

There was no response to that question.

"Miki-kun," Came the older man's voice, "What do you think of when we play that song of yours?"

After a long pause, he said, "It makes me think of roses...and whether they would bloom or wilt if humid nights stretched for eternity?"

"Is that so?"  He teased.

"...Hai."

At last, Kozue's path was prepared:

World Revolution.

---

*should be left.  Was kind of in a rush.  And I am directionally impaired.  Not joking. And some punctuation stuff  but whatever.  You try writing with some loud college boys grating on your patience. [/detail-whore moment]  Huge thanks to Melancholic_Soul for stepping to the plate.  We will see who wins this one.

Last edited by spoon-san (03-03-2010 01:49:33 PM)

Board footer