This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top01-08-2010 08:37:28 PM

oldboy
Miki Molester

Re: What's the Most Depressing Comedy You've Seen Recently?

Necro-ing this thread to mention Heathers. I love this movie but there's something very sad about it. Maybe because, at the end, the question "What are you supposed to do with stupid, sadistic people?" is never quite answered.

Also, young Christian Bale was...not a bad looking young man, but time hasn't been very kind to him. That by itself makes me sad.

http://www.enjoy-your-style.com/images/christian-slater.jpg

#27 | Back to Top01-08-2010 08:49:21 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

That's Christian Slater, not Christian Bale. emot-biggrin

#28 | Back to Top01-08-2010 11:20:53 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

The most depressing recent comedy I watched was Funny People. Yeah, I get the underlying theme of comedians generally drawing from pain and such, but most of the movie is watching the protagonist ruin people's lives. You don't stop cringing; even if he does have a sympathetic reason for doing it, he's such an insensitive ass that by the end I just wished he died in a fire. The depressing far outweighs the funny for something that's called, you know, Funny People.

Hat Mafia Member

#29 | Back to Top03-15-2010 05:13:44 AM

minervana
High Tripper

I saw "King of Comedy" with Robert DeNiro and Jerry Lewis. Man...that film is just painful to watch. I actually had to turn it off a few times and go into the other room. It's not depressing, it's just...well, it is depressing, but it's also really uncomfortable. Everyone in that film is so unpleasant and desperate.

#30 | Back to Top03-15-2010 06:38:26 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Inglourious Basterds. A few scenes just strike me as terribly sad. A few of honorable mention: baseball bat scene, bar shooting, opening shooting scene. Great movie though. Brad Pitt fits it so well.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#31 | Back to Top03-29-2010 01:51:27 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I tend to stay away from commercialized comedies, so the most recent I've seen is "The....(don't remember) of Chuck and Larry',  (the Sandler movie?)

>< Its the most conservative film "for gay rights" I've ever seen.  We support you alternative lifestyle people just...don't kiss in front of us, or show affection in front of us, because 2 men doing that is totally unnatural.

Its sort of like how the Disney movie Luck of the Irish  played on all the stereotypes of Irish culture that could be taken as insulting, the sort of broad sweeping segregation of a different class of humans, only in this case there was only costumed and slurred 'fairies', some acting in the sort of asexual yet flamboyantly effeminate nature that makes the manly men feel 'safe'.

I don't remember much of the movie, considering it was about two years ago I saw it, but I remember the gay black fire man coming out for real, and I think he went into a relationship with the only other gay character given any context in the film, the really flamboyant effeminate nonsexual one.

The only way I'll forgive this movie is if it were a parody of the type of film all dubbed yaoi-fans like to see, where neither of the characters comprising the couple was considered attractive, they NEVER EVER kiss, there is still plenty of female boobage present, and the most romantic relationship is the one between Sandler and the woman he gropes when he is a psuedo homosexual, followed by the words 'icky'.

So when it comes down to it, I'm not really sure which demograph this film was aiming for.

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#32 | Back to Top05-15-2010 01:37:12 AM

minervana
High Tripper

Necroing this thread to mention Citizen Ruth. It's about a woman addicted to alcohol and sniffing glue (or patio sealant, or spray paint, or whatever's handy) who gets pregnant and gets caught up in the culture wars.

I'd actually recommend the movie, because the writers are aware of how it could become unintentionally depressing and they almost play off of that.

#33 | Back to Top05-15-2010 12:03:15 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

I agree with all Todd Solondz films (Happiness, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Palindromes, etc.) being unbelievably unfunny and horrible and dark, but also being really good movies in their dark, absurdist, truthfullness. Likewise with the wonders of Brazil! etc-love Just about my favorite film.

I would also add East Is East, which is billed as being a Jimi Mistry-based rip-roaring good time (in the spirit of The Guru or A Touch Of Pink). It's certainly at least half (dark) comedy and has a sort of uplifting ending? But once you get to the beatings, you're sort of wondering why oh why did they say this was funny, why isn't there more Jimi Mistry and when are they going to start having a Bollywood dance scene.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#34 | Back to Top06-01-2010 11:59:22 PM

stiffanbond
New Student

The most depressing Comady i saw in Yesterday  night party. There was a little baby do Pee on my friend and he went to bathroom to clean his cloths. when he come form bathroom than other baby do pee on his coat. That time we are very laugh and baby was  also laughing at this moment.

#35 | Back to Top06-03-2010 06:26:49 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Assuming we can count specific episodes in a comedy series, I would like to nominate what is possibly my favorite episode of Community-- Introduction to Film. After Britta pays for Abed to take a film class (because his father will not allow him to participate in anything that won't assist him in taking over the family business), Abed decides that Jeff and Britta will play the roles of his mother and father. Throughout the episode, he intentionally drives Britta to her breaking point through his passive-aggressive nature, and finally prompts Jeff to tell him that "the wrong person just left." At the end of the episode, Abed shows his very strange, clearly experimental film to Jeff, Britta, and his father-- it's a perfect metaphor for how Abed's mom couldn't deal with her potentially autistic son and left, and how his father always blamed him for it. emot-frown It's an insanely depressing scene for such a funny show.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

Board footer