This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-12-2011 05:03:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Google+ is better than Facebook. Who wants invites?

Send me the e-mail address and I'll send out an invite. A lot of you guys are already on, which tells us something. GOOGLE > FB. Aside from being sleeker, cooler, and prettier, Google+ has some incredibly intuitive features that should have been on Facebook years ago, such as the ability to assign people to different groups, which dictates what they see of what you post. Smart, huh?

GET ON THE BANDWAGON.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top07-12-2011 05:26:11 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Google+ is better than Facebook. Who wants invites?

Giovanna wrote:

Send me the e-mail address and I'll send out an invite. A lot of you guys are already on, which tells us something. GOOGLE > FB. Aside from being sleeker, cooler, and prettier, Google+ has some incredibly intuitive features that should have been on Facebook years ago, such as the ability to assign people to different groups, which dictates what they see of what you post. Smart, huh?

GET ON THE BANDWAGON.

And may I add, that people have no idea what group, called a "circle" that you put them in, so they won't be upset when you label them as an acquaintance as opposed to a friend.  Plus, since most people already have google accounts, no need to think up a new password or go through all that, setting up your account is simple as anything.

Personally, the look takes some getting used to -I like the minimalist aspect of it, but do wish the comments/statuses and such were boxed or outlined or highlighted, anything to set them apart from the rest of the screen.  I find that little bit extra to really help me "see" and navigate pages and long comment strings better.

#3 | Back to Top07-12-2011 05:58:50 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

The ToS seemed to be a bit scarier than Facebook's, so while I have an invite sitting around, I don't think I'm going to use it.

#4 | Back to Top07-12-2011 06:05:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

What scares you about it, out of curiosity? It scared me less than FB, but then FB pulls a lot of crap not exactly well illustrated in the ToS.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top07-12-2011 06:07:26 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Who is already in? I have an account (I absolutely love the layout and the design of it all) but I've been thinking that the whole thing ressembles a desert.
Anyway, I do have some invites left, so if you Gio run out, let me know and I'll send mine to whoever asks first. emot-smile

#6 | Back to Top07-12-2011 06:59:05 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I can offer invites as well, if anyone needs em'.

#7 | Back to Top07-12-2011 08:03:56 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

It said I'm not old enough ;__;

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#8 | Back to Top07-12-2011 08:11:31 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I should also be able to offer invites, if anyone wants. Also, if anyone wishes to ... circle? .... add? (oh, joy, new terminology) I should be very easy to find.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#9 | Back to Top07-12-2011 11:03:53 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I'm getting a friend on facebook to send one my way. XD

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#10 | Back to Top07-13-2011 09:56:00 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I'm gonna have to say no. It took a heroic amount of effort on Aine's part to get me to join FB in the first place (that and Lady Lortab was kinda egging me on too), and I thought I was a sellout for "crawling over to something like Myspace or Facebook." I also have names and passwords for way too many sites that I haven't visited or posted in, like, ever, and I haaaaaate having useless passwords and usernames like that.

TL;DR, I'll be uncool and stay with FB. emot-frown

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#11 | Back to Top07-13-2011 12:47:13 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

BioKraze wrote:

I'm gonna have to say no. It took a heroic amount of effort on Aine's part to get me to join FB in the first place (that and Lady Lortab was kinda egging me on too), and I thought I was a sellout for "crawling over to something like Myspace or Facebook." I also have names and passwords for way too many sites that I haven't visited or posted in, like, ever, and I haaaaaate having useless passwords and usernames like that.

TL;DR, I'll be uncool and stay with FB. emot-frown

emot-tongue Yeah, you're just .... I'd say anti-tech, but that's not right. At least so far with G+, you don't have to worry about apps. Which is cool.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#12 | Back to Top07-13-2011 07:23:52 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

I'm on G+. My Profile.

Now I'm gonna make a circle for IRG

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#13 | Back to Top07-14-2011 12:02:52 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Likewise, I'm in emot-smile  Encircle me all up in the hizzouse if you also are in, or ask for an invite if you want in!  My profile.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-14-2011 12:03:31 AM)

#14 | Back to Top07-14-2011 12:34:35 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

I hear interesting things about Google+, so I'll bite.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#15 | Back to Top07-14-2011 08:48:41 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

satyreyes wrote:

Likewise, I'm in emot-smile  Encircle me all up in the hizzouse if you also are in, or ask for an invite if you want in!  My profile.

I've joined Google+ and added you to a few of my circles! I quite like your profile picture emot-smile

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#16 | Back to Top07-15-2011 07:17:28 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

The hipsters of the future will be the ones who won't join Google+

... anyway, I'm not exactly sure if I want to start using another social network, and I like my facebook enough like to get rid of it.

#17 | Back to Top07-16-2011 01:20:39 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Is it really? Enough that I actually want to be on there despite the rights-to-posted-intellectual-property/entertainment mess?

Because if the other option is being Hipster of the Future? The choice between two levels of pretentiousness is something.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#18 | Back to Top07-16-2011 06:49:29 AM

NoSuchThingsAsMiracles
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

If anyone is interested here's my Google+ profile. I'd love to make an "In the Rose Garden" circle.

http://i53.tinypic.com/hx663r.jpg

#19 | Back to Top07-16-2011 08:30:42 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Enough that I actually want to be on there despite the rights-to-posted-intellectual-property/entertainment mess?

This is the part of the ToS that I found even more abhorrent that what Facebook does. And the fact that Google decided that by a friend sending me a Google+ invite that was an opening to start sending me emails about everything said friend was doing on Google+. That was weird.

#20 | Back to Top07-16-2011 01:51:37 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm horrible at ToS stuff.  By which I mean I'm lazy.  What's with this whole intellectual property rights bizness?

#21 | Back to Top07-16-2011 02:50:48 PM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

im curious of google+. i dont know how much i'd be on...do you need a google account? i have one, but ugh google is actually very confusing to me :s (well,it's mixed with my youtube, and sometimes its displays my yahoo email?) and why do you need invites, if you dont mind me asking? i went to the site, and it said i couldnt register, so you can only get one with an invite? who was determined who gets one, like first come first serve? XD

also, i dont think it's bad to change site if thats what all your friends are doing. it's a fad but, i loved myspace but just none of my friends (irl and forum friends, not random people) got on. it's not fun to get on a social networking site and have no one add you or message you and no irl friends or people met online. (i do check my ms sometimes, it's usually just requests from bands and messages from them etc etc.) thats no fun, so changing internet sites is a fad im ok with going with emot-dance i'd like to check it out myself, but i probably wouldnt log on it as much as fb if a majority of people didnt switch.

#22 | Back to Top07-16-2011 03:12:54 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Is it really? Enough that I actually want to be on there despite the rights-to-posted-intellectual-property/entertainment mess?

What?  The posted Terms of Service say:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

So I'm not sure what the rights-to-posted-intellectual-property mess that you're talking about is.  Google doesn't take your copyright.  You do grant Google the right to redistribute your content -- as it has to in order to make the service work! -- and it can give the content to other companies to redistribute as well, but Google can't, for example, turn around and sell anything you produce to a third party.  What am I missing?

#23 | Back to Top07-16-2011 04:49:51 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

satyreyes wrote:

What am I missing?

It's an irrevocably right to use/reproduce (for Google+ and for advertising or other purposes). Forever. At least with Facebook or Flickr, you can end their rights to reprint/reproduce. It may take a little time, but it can be done.

Google, on the other hand, has the specter of Google Books hanging over that "irrevocable." And Google Books was really some ugly violating of copyrights.

They have announced they're going to revise the contract soon, but...

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (07-16-2011 04:50:58 PM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#24 | Back to Top07-16-2011 11:37:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm not sure where in the license your "for other purposes" is coming from.  The license says "for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute, and promote the Services."  I guess there is a little bit of wiggle room; the license says what the purpose of the grant of rights is, but it doesn't exactly promise explicitly that Google will not overstep that purpose.  Google might say in court that the line about "sole purpose" is like Jack Sparrow's Pirate Code: not so much a rule, more like a guideline.  It would be nice for Google to clarify, and I hope they do.  But Google doesn't make a practice of abusing its users, so I guess I'm not worried.

#25 | Back to Top07-17-2011 01:18:59 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

satyreyes wrote:

But Google doesn't make a practice of abusing its users, so I guess I'm not worried.

Google Books says they do, though. That was an abusive mess that stretched copyright indulgences all out of shape before it was settled into a distasteful state of legality where all responsibility was put on the copyright holders to notify Google they were further abusing when there's no way they didn't already know. And in a world of synergy, with a company who have their hands in a lot, I don't know where the limits on "promote" are and they aren't clarifying.

Which means, if I do Google+, which I inevitably will the moment another invite comes my way, I'll just be really really careful about what I post/share until they do start clarifying or limiting themselves not in spirit but in the text of the contract(s).

Outside of that, it does look pretty good and, as the design folk say, intuitive. You're right that I'm being extra-cautious and there is probably little to fear, but I was one of the many who did get screwed in Google Books even as I was and am a person who uses the service a lot.

Board footer