This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-21-2007 03:43:52 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Re: Clusterf**k to the White House: The Thread

satyreyes wrote:

I'm not sure how commonly the left-right model is used in Europe and points beyond, so I'll take a moment to explain this comment.

We use it much like you, except that we tend to have more extreme differences, since our norm tends to be a dozen parties in countries that are the size of your states. Personally a political non-Euclidian, I vote the GreenParty that started out as enviromentalist, but today carter to free-thinkers who couldn't care less about the traditional left-right ideologies. A pity that you Americans have to choose between just two parties - I think that a proper democracy should have at least ten choices...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#27 | Back to Top06-21-2007 03:46:26 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

How can you only have two parties and still your elections get to confuse the hell out of me? emot-gonk I think until know I got how that vote sistems works...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#28 | Back to Top06-21-2007 07:24:21 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

There are many in this country who don't know how our election system works.

The USA is a Republic with a representative form of government.  Not a 'pure' democracy where 'whoever (or whatever) gets the most votes wins'.

Further complicating matters is the issue of 'Gerrymandering', where voting district borders are realigned to create favor for one party or the other before the next election.

So don't feel bad that not being from the USA makes you feel your understanding of our system is less than those who live here.  So many right here don't have half of a clue either, because [generalization]most people in the USA believe that their vote doesn't matter.[/generalization]  Then they wonder why nothing ever changes... emot-rolleyes

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#29 | Back to Top06-21-2007 07:45:41 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I'd sooner vote for QT1 than any other person currently running. But then again, I don't quite live in Realityland...so it doesn't matter, now does it?

Honestly, I'd vote a computer in sooner than a man. Computers have this strange and wonderful thing called logic. It's an amazing piece of magic that can make things work out right when everybody has their head up their collective ass. And in politics, you don't have to look far for people with their heads so up their ass they're coming out of their mouth. emot-dance

You may all now feel at liberty to discharge assorted firearms in my direction.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#30 | Back to Top06-21-2007 08:05:11 PM

abraXas365
Ohtori Paramouri

BioKraze wrote:

I'd sooner vote for QT1 than any other person currently running. But then again, I don't quite live in Realityland...so it doesn't matter, now does it?

Honestly, I'd vote a computer in sooner than a man. Computers have this strange and wonderful thing called logic. It's an amazing piece of magic that can make things work out right when everybody has their head up their collective ass. And in politics, you don't have to look far for people with their heads so up their ass they're coming out of their mouth. emot-dance

You may all now feel at liberty to discharge assorted firearms in my direction.

American presidential checklist, first to tick them all and shout bingo spends a night in Watergate Hotel

[ ] First Black President
[ ] First Woman President
[ ] First Gay President
[ ] First Computer President
[ ] First Alien President

I've had the oversized marker poised for years... I can barely believe that there seems to be a chance for one of the first two to be checked next election!

Seriously though? A computerised president? Computers may have logic but they have shown us all on a very human level that any system obeying a complex set of rules produces random flashes of chaos! I suppose it couldn't do as much damage to the world as Bush though... type 2 error.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/logophony/abraxas365.gif

#31 | Back to Top06-21-2007 08:11:58 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

The thing that worries me is that we'll get a good Democratic candidate, and the third-party candidate (Nader, etc.) will totally fubar it by splitting the liberal/left-wing/anti-Republican vote and the Republicans win again.

However, if Rudy Giuliani is the Republican stated above, then I won't mind as much.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#32 | Back to Top06-21-2007 11:59:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lightice wrote:

We tend to have more extreme differences, since our norm tends to be a dozen parties in countries that are the size of your states. Personally a political non-Euclidian, I vote the GreenParty that started out as enviromentalist, but today carter to free-thinkers who couldn't care less about the traditional left-right ideologies. A pity that you Americans have to choose between just two parties - I think that a proper democracy should have at least ten choices...

There's a really great mathematical theorem that shows that with only two parties choosing positions on a left-right model, both parties will be drawn to the center and will become almost indistinguishable.  I don't think the Rs and Ds are indistinguishable, but there are certainly major issues (reducing entitlement spending; fighting climate change) on which neither party has put forth any real, workable ideas.  The thing about this theorem is, when a third party shows up, everything gets thrown out of whack.  The two original parties are forced to differentiate themselves so that the third party doesn't grab all that unclaimed turf.  It takes more than three parties in more dimensions, and I think it starts getting a little silly after a certain point, but this central finding makes sense to me.  We could definitely use a strong third party in America.

Raven Nightshade wrote:

The thing that worries me is that we'll get a good Democratic candidate, and the third-party candidate (Nader, etc.) will totally fubar it by splitting the liberal/left-wing/anti-Republican vote and the Republicans win again.

However, if Rudy Giuliani is the Republican stated above, then I won't mind as much.

I've heard a lot of pro-Rudy talk from the liberal-to-moderate end of the spectrum.  I'm not sure what all the fuss is.  Can you explain what makes him special/different?

#33 | Back to Top06-22-2007 12:05:50 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Hinotori wrote:

YEAH!!! POLITICS!!

I'm not political, for the sake of my own sanity, until I start hearing about the Presidential Election. That's when I start bouncing off the walls and pointing at my television and screaming, "THAT GUY'S AN ASSHOLE!"

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way. emot-keke; Especially since this is the first presidential election where I will be able to vote. I was only two weeks shy of being able to vote in the last election, and it made me sad. emot-frown

I'm going to have to start studying up on the candidates before I figure out who I want to vote for. I definitely want to vote for a Democrat, though. (Or third-party candidate, if I didn't feel like it would go to nothing and then the Republicans would win again..) But I'm almost desperate enough to say anyone but Bush. emot-frown

I'm scared that people won't vote for Hillary because she is a girl, but also that they will vote for her because she is a girl. emot-gonk

#34 | Back to Top06-22-2007 12:22:32 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

But I'm almost desperate enough to say anyone but Bush. emot-frown

That won't be a problem this time around!  emot-smile

How many times can someone be elected president?  People who have already served two terms as president can't run for president again.  It may feel like Bush has been in office since the early '80s, but in fact he was first elected in 2000, and 2008 will be the end of his second term.  We can fight all we like about who the best next president would be, but Bush is off the table!  emot-dance

#35 | Back to Top06-22-2007 12:32:35 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

And it's about time... do you guys remember a popular (unofficial) John Kerry tagline from 2004? "He sucks less."

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#36 | Back to Top06-22-2007 01:07:40 AM

abraXas365
Ohtori Paramouri

satyreyes wrote:

There's a really great mathematical theorem that shows that with only two parties choosing positions on a left-right model, both parties will be drawn to the center and will become almost indistinguishable.  I don't think the Rs and Ds are indistinguishable, but there are certainly major issues (reducing entitlement spending; fighting climate change) on which neither party has put forth any real, workable ideas.  The thing about this theorem is, when a third party shows up, everything gets thrown out of whack.  The two original parties are forced to differentiate themselves so that the third party doesn't grab all that unclaimed turf.  It takes more than three parties in more dimensions, and I think it starts getting a little silly after a certain point, but this central finding makes sense to me.  We could definitely use a strong third party in America.

Phase space! One of my favourite subjects! In recent years its effect on a 2 party system was was curiously demonstrated in Adelaide's central shopping precinct: Rundle Mall! 2 buskers who both made twisty baloon animals used to service the mall, spaced evenly (left and right), so anyone who wanted a twisty baloon could walk one third of the stretch for an inflatable poodle. As twisty balloon men have long forgotten the joy of their craft and are motivated entirely by greed both looked toward the centre of the mall and lusted for the rival's turf. Eventually both balloon men ended up on current affair television indulging in fistycuffs next to Bert Fluegleman's twin spheres - Adelaide's most well known public art: 2 massive steel balls which mark the mall's midpoint. Not only had the baloon men failed to increase their market share, but now anyone who wants anthropomorphised balloons has to walk half the length of the mall!

Phase space is like a graph of all the possible outcomes in any closed system. Attractors in phase space can predict anything from the motion of molecules, birth rate patterns in cute little chu chu populations to the relationships between predators and prey. Mapped in phase space these attractors often loop like donuts, spirals or kidney beans... In a two party system the attractor is a single point: twisty baloon men end up in the middle of the mall, political parties end up being only superficially different.

Eventually a twisty baloon man was exiled to Melbourne, a city a state away. What phase space failed to predict was that the following christmas the baloon man was sitting depressed on my cousin's swing set while his alcoholic wife, replete with champaign glass raucously made herself at home at my Xmas reli bash! Upon learning that I was the last male to bear the family name she goaded to the disquiet of my entire family "lets hope he doesn't turn out gay".

Last edited by abraXas365 (06-22-2007 01:12:51 AM)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/logophony/abraxas365.gif

#37 | Back to Top06-22-2007 07:02:13 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I've heard a lot of pro-Rudy talk from the liberal-to-moderate end of the spectrum.  I'm not sure what all the fuss is.  Can you explain what makes him special/different?

As far as I can tell, it's because he's not explicitly anti-abortion. He seems to be fairly moderate on so-called "moral" issues. After all, this is the guy that moved his mistress into his house without even waiting for his wife to move out first. I'd certainly rather have him as president than Mitt Romney, John McCain, or god forbid, Sam Brownback, but I don't think much of him. The only reason he's got any stature is that some psychos dropped a couple of planes on his city while he happened to be mayor. Somehow, this made him a hero?emot-confused

What about Ray Nagin? His whole city was fucking destroyed! And yet, nobody says anything about him, probably because he's black. So I have a bit of an ax to grind with Rudy.emot-mad

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#38 | Back to Top06-22-2007 07:14:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

The only reason he's got any stature is that some psychos dropped a couple of planes on his city while he happened to be mayor. Somehow, this made him a hero?emot-confused

Well, to be fair, he did clean up a lot of crime and make Times Square child-friendly, which was a considerable feat back in the day. (Not that I think it's an improvement.)  New Yorkers hated him anyway. I like Rudy in that he does get shit done, he's not just going to coast through his presidency. The problem is you better like what he's getting done.

In that regard, I'm inclined to vote for anyone that will actually do something with the term in office, but I only get that vibe from Rudy, Hillary..and Ron Paul. The wrench in those works is I want the fuck out of Iraq because it's a huge retarded moneysink/troop guillotine, and Rudy and Hillary will both stay there. (I strongly doubt Hillary will be nearly as quick to pack up the troops as she says.)

I think it's kinda sad to imagine that this might be a big first. The first black president, the first female one...but if it happens it won't happen because they deserved it. It'll happen because we're in a 'UGH WE'LL TAKE ANYTHING' political climate, and in Hillary's case, she's coasting into office entirely on account of her husband.

Also, I don't think Hillary should win. I don't like this dynastic shit that's popping up. And she's way too socially conservative. You keep your paws off my games and R-rated movies, bitch. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#39 | Back to Top06-22-2007 07:26:18 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Also, I don't think Hillary should win. I don't like this dynastic shit that's popping up. And she's way too socially conservative. You keep your paws off my games and R-rated movies, bitch. emot-mad

NO KIDDING!
I am so sick of the bullshit censorship in this country! "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech" isn't fucking rocket science! How about instead of blaming little Johnny's bad grades on the music he's listening to, try spending a little more time with him instead?

The thing that pisses me off, saddens me and scares me the most about this is that people like Hilary and Tipper don't even comprehend the need for freedom of speech. They think it only applies in the political sphere, as if that's the only place you find valid ideas. There is no one in this world (or out of it) that I would ever trust to tell me what I can safely read, watch, listen to, smell or taste.

Even if violent images in video games and music do contribute to delinquency, that's ultimately beside the point.

-Truck North

#40 | Back to Top06-22-2007 07:43:29 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Stormcrow wrote:

Even if violent images in video games and music do contribute to delinquency, that's ultimately beside the point.

Quoted because someone had to say so.

#41 | Back to Top06-22-2007 11:35:53 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Joining the love-fest for free speech over here!  etc-love  Censorship is one of the few concrete axes I have to grind against Hillary.  Unfortunately, censorship is a bipartisan value.  The Republicans are pro-censorship because God doesn't like it when you take his name in vain, and the Democrats are pro-censorship because OMG teh kiddiez!  That's one reason I wouldn't mind seeing Ron Paul, or some other super-old-school conservative who remembers what America means, win this thing.  I do hope he turns out to be sane, though.  (By the way, Bloomberg has also gone on record as being against censorship, though I'm not well-informed enough to tell you whether his actions back up his words.)

#42 | Back to Top06-22-2007 11:40:00 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I'm so pessimistic on this whole censorship thing. The harsh reality I have to face is that a substantial majority of Americans want more censorship, not less. We talk big talk about how the terrorists "hate our freedoms", but we hold them (our freedoms) in contempt, which is just as bad. emot-frown

EDIT: Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, now.

Last edited by Stormcrow (06-22-2007 11:52:50 PM)

-Truck North

#43 | Back to Top06-22-2007 12:22:41 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

I'm so pessimistic on this whole censorship thing. The harsh reality I have to face is that a substantial majority of Americans want more censorship, not less. We talk big talk about how the terrorists "hate our freedoms", but we hold them in contempt, which is just as bad. emot-frown

I did a double-take!  My first time over, I thought by "them" you meant "the terrorists," not "our freedoms."  Nothing wrong with holding the terrorists in contempt, I don't think!

In reality, I'm not sure we hold our freedoms in contempt.  The problem is (well, one problem is) that most people don't mean by "freedom" what you and I mean by "freedom."  We mean freedom from government regulation of speech; they mean freedom from being offended.  We mean freedom from unwarranted search and seizure; they mean freedom from fear.  These sets of "freedoms" will necessarily come in conflict.  Sure, they'll say freedom of speech and the right to privacy are important, but unlike the Framers, they've never lived in a place where the government has abusively restricted these rights.  To them, free speech is a perk of being an American, to be sacrificed if they come into conflict with something they see as a more "core" American value (like being happy all the time!!!).

To get back on subject: One reason I distrust many liberal politicians, including the current Democratic candidates, is that they show little evidence of recognizing that Americans don't have the right to be happy all the time.  We have the right to pursue happiness.  The difference is one of instant gratification versus long-term health.  Unfortunately, the Republicans aren't much better -- and in other ways, they're worse.

#44 | Back to Top06-22-2007 06:57:35 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Haha this thread is too involved for me to catch up... but I guess I'm an "Internet Libertarian Fanboy" since I definitely want Ron Paul to win.  Okay, well fangirl... Libertarian fangirl who can recognize someone who isn't full of crap. emot-tongue

#45 | Back to Top06-24-2007 07:34:08 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

That's one reason I wouldn't mind seeing Ron Paul, or some other super-old-school conservative who remembers what America means, win this thing.  I do hope he turns out to be sane, though.  (By the way, Bloomberg has also gone on record as being against censorship, though I'm not well-informed enough to tell you whether his actions back up his words.)

I never assume any politician is less full of shit than the others, but I have to admit I really like Ron Paul and would vote for him in a second. Even though he has a lot of policies I don't like, his record has been consistently faithful to LOL THE RIDICULOUS IDEA OF FREE SPEECH THAT SOME OF US RATHER LIKED. He's pro-guns, but then I care less and less about this issue, since people that want guns are going to get them. He's against Roe v Wade, which...sucks, but he thinks abortion should be a state matter at any rate, and since I plan to do a lot more fucking in NY than in FL, I'm safe. emot-keke

Unfortunately the day Ron Paul gets the nomination is the day zombie Thomas Jefferson rises from the grave to have anal sex with Halle Berry. emot-frown

At best he could run on a third party ticket and we could all use him as a 'fuck the establishment' vote, but beyond that...

It's really disappointing because most of the other candidates just stink of 'more of the same'. Okay fine, the details are...eclectic. A black man, a woman, and a New York Italian. And now, potentially, a New York Jew. I wish it weren't so, but Bloomberg could promise every voter a gold bar from Ft. Knox and most people in the deep south will still refuse to vote for him. Also, there should be a lot more liberal in this run given how much New York is showing up.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#46 | Back to Top06-24-2007 08:01:03 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Yeah, but Bloomberg's already getting the Ross Perot comparisons. This will, naturally, eat away at any credentials he has.

Or so I thought...

Then I watched Fox News this morning because my brain needed a rest. Some of the people on there think that Bloomberg wouldn't be a half bad presidential candidate due to a) his mayoral experience b) his corporate experience. Now I tend to disregard his mayoral experience because I don't feel like he's really accomplished much in NYC, unless I haven't been paying attention. What Bloomberg's term in NYC has been was supposed to be what Bush's term as President should have been: some slick mofo with marital problems fixes things and makes life better despite his personal scandal, then the next guy just coasts off of that for four years.

As for his business experience, the general consensus seems to be that if he can run a ginormous company, he can run the country. After all, maybe the country needs to be run like a business for a while, they say.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#47 | Back to Top06-24-2007 08:31:02 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Then I watched Fox News this morning because my brain needed a rest.

emot-gonk

You poor, poor soul.

Surely you mean the Fox Noise Channel?  I hope you were only watching it for amusement. That station is forbidden on my tv, what with its right-wing agenda and all. emot-tongue

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#48 | Back to Top06-24-2007 08:32:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Here's a question I find myself thinking about sometimes: How angry should I get when someone deploys bias in order to win an election?  I don't think it should be relevant that Giuliani's best friends are gay, or that Obama is half-black, or that Bloomberg is Jewish.  How spiteful do I get to be towards candidates that make a big deal about their opponents' personal qualities that have nothing to do with being president?

On one hand, surely it's crucial to democracy that we judge the candidates on what kind of president they would be, not on the color of their skin or the title of their holy book (if any).  How stupid and superficial it would be to vote against a candidate because he's gay, or because she's a woman!  How cynical it is to try to get voters to vote on those grounds, instead of on the Issues!  Isn't playing on the voters' biases obviously destructive to the health of the whole nation?

On the other hand, who gets to decide what the Issues are?  I haven't made up my mind yet whether it's relevant that Romney is Mormon; wouldn't stifling debate on this question potentially jeopardize democracy?  And if it's really so irrelevant that Giuliani's best friends are gay, then why do I feel reassured to know that he has gay friends?  It seems so obvious to me that Obama's race isn't relevant to his performance in office, but an Alabaman who had somehow been taught to speak English might argue that "racial issues" are important to most black politicians, so Obama's race might predict his politics.  Isn't that a reasonable point, even though ads about Obama's race would clearly be playing primarily on prejudice?  We value the free exchange of ideas here; isn't deciding that some topics are off-limits obviously destructive to the health of the whole nation?

What do you think, IRG?

Last edited by satyreyes (06-24-2007 08:35:57 PM)

#49 | Back to Top06-24-2007 09:52:33 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I think the reason why people care so much about people who aren't straight white protestant males getting into office is because it's such a big benchmark for progress, in theory. It's definitely not something that could've happened 50 years ago at least. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing it as actual progress if the candidate is just being elected because they're half black or female.

I think Guiliani's just trying to look as moderate as he possibly can for all the Democrats who won't vote for Hillary no matter what. I've met a depressing amount of those in these parts.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#50 | Back to Top06-24-2007 10:20:30 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Satyr, you pose an interesting question. I would say that free speech doesn't obligate you to talk about anything you don't think is important. We also have the right to stay silent, if we're not subpoenaed. Holy shit, I spelled subpoenaed right on the first try, yay me! Anyway, it's not undemocratic to avoid certain subjects, or even to ask others to do the same, as long as it's not the government saying so. As for who decides what the issues are, I'd say that that's you. That's how it's supposed to work anyway.

-Truck North

Board footer