This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top07-25-2011 01:53:34 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Mawaru Penguindrum: Or, YOU WILL BE SPOILED

Wait.... I drink a COKE after a hard day's work everyday....  emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

#102 | Back to Top07-25-2011 07:02:38 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And I drink milk!  emot-aaa  But I think Gio's point was that in the media, people who don't kick back with booze after work -- especially men -- are likely to have a secret vice that goes way beyond alcoholism.  Right now this guy's being presented as very innocent and unaware of Ringo's obsession with him, maybe because they go back at least a few years.  But maybe his Coke drinking is evidence that he's secretly Akio?  school-devil

#103 | Back to Top07-25-2011 07:14:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tch. It's a nice apartment but not that nice.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#104 | Back to Top07-27-2011 06:29:24 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

cool  Sick burn, sick burn.

Also, let us all do what we have all been resisting thus far!

Ringo  =  Saionji and Nanami.
Sho=  Utena and Miki
Kanba=  Kozue and Touga
Himari= AnthyAnthyAnthyAnthyAnthy
Subway girls with pink and blue hair = Shadow Play Girls
Mr. TeacherwhosnameIhavealreadyforgotten =  Ruka or Mikage.  I feel something about him screams either (I have a mission/status I am holding secret until the near end of the series!) or (I like young boys!)

#105 | Back to Top07-29-2011 06:44:23 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Semi-lame episode this week, but WOW what an ending. The mystery person is most likely the girl with the gun from the opening. Similar jacket and pants.

Last edited by chrisb (07-29-2011 07:39:26 AM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#106 | Back to Top07-29-2011 12:53:14 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

Juri lookalike FTW!!!

#107 | Back to Top07-29-2011 02:04:52 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Ringo's imagine spots are WEIRD.

Also, Yuri Tokikago is becoming one of my favorite characters because she's opposite of Ringo and (spoiler) the way she confronts Ringo is just priceless. "You don't stand a chance" indeed. etc-love

ETA: The lack of a "Survival Strategy" scene this episode actually made me kinda sad. I really like that sequence and how hammy possessed!Himari is.

Last edited by Malacoda (07-29-2011 09:40:44 PM)

#108 | Back to Top07-29-2011 05:19:31 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Episode 4 was definitely the most "Ikuharan" episode yet. I'm really enjoying it.

#109 | Back to Top07-29-2011 09:54:19 PM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

Episode was going through a love comedy story up to the very end. Made things creepy when you least expected it.

Needed more Kanba... [already a fangirl it seems]

#110 | Back to Top07-30-2011 07:34:32 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

After watching episode 4, I have to say, Yuri may look like Juri (imo), gentle like Kanae, but deep down, she has a tint of Anthy o_o|||

And, while it LOOKED like a Nanami filler episode this week, definitely had a couple of scenes that makes you say, "WHAT A TWEEEST"

Also nice to see Aiko, Keiko, and Yuko making a guest return emot-tongue

#111 | Back to Top07-30-2011 07:45:45 AM

Maya-chan
Miki Molester

I also noticed that episode 4 of Penguindrum with Ringo's fantasies of 'Yuri and Tabuki' is also the same episode number in Utena where Nanami has the 'Get rid of Anthy' fantasies. I think episode 4 of Penguindrum definitely pays homage to episode 4 of Utena emot-smile

#112 | Back to Top07-30-2011 08:21:54 AM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

^ imo, the entirity of those imagine spots were homage to Utena, what with the whole prince/princess "save me" theme going on

#113 | Back to Top07-30-2011 08:35:26 AM

Maya-chan
Miki Molester

BlackBeforeRed wrote:

^ imo, the entirity of those imagine spots were homage to Utena, what with the whole prince/princess "save me" theme going on

Yeah, pretty much I agree with you.

I guess Ringo wants to have everything according to plan the way she thinks - but sometimes fate can be altered or modified but the structure of it is the same, which pretty much happened in this episode. They have lunch exactly at 12:30 but it does not mean that they will eat 'Ringo's' lunch since fate has been altered by Yuri with her lunch and the crows ruining Ringo'slunch. Thus I think Yuri is a character that can ruin one's fate but the structure of it will be according to the diary so she is like an obstacle to Ringo's planing of fate. If you know what I mean emot-wink

Last edited by Maya-chan (07-30-2011 08:36:58 AM)

#114 | Back to Top07-30-2011 10:42:08 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I fucking love this show.  I watched the latest episode with a friend who hadn't heard of it.  It was great.  We laughed at Ringo's inner theatre, the weirdness of the penguins, and Sho's misfortune.  And then the ending happened.  emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

#115 | Back to Top07-30-2011 11:42:54 AM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

I really love Ringo!! X) i think she's my favorite character along with Sho so far. this week's episode was my favorite yet, i loved Ringo's plays xD emot-dance

#116 | Back to Top07-30-2011 03:58:20 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Also nice to see Aiko, Keiko, and Yuko making a guest return emot-tongue

I was happy to see them as well. emot-smile

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#117 | Back to Top07-30-2011 06:18:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

chrisb wrote:

Semi-lame episode this week, but WOW what an ending. The mystery person is most likely the girl with the gun from the opening. Similar jacket and pants.

You don't think it's [  Ringo  ]?  It seemed like the voiceover strongly suggested it, didn't it?

Maya-chan wrote:

They have lunch exactly at 12:30 but it does not mean that they will eat 'Ringo's' lunch since fate has been altered by Yuri with her lunch and the crows ruining Ringo's lunch. Thus I think Yuri is a character that can ruin one's fate but the structure of it will be according to the diary so she is like an obstacle to Ringo's planing of fate.

Yeah, the diary doesn't always come to pass the way Ringo expects, for sure.  But I don't think we have a good reason to blame Yuri for it yet.  Ringo's [first kiss] got screwed up, too, but that seemed to be on Sho, not Yuri.  Yuri is creepy, but so far it seems to me she is the least creepy main character in this anime other than Sho.  emot-smile

I don't know whether all the prince/princess motifs and "that's exactly what will happen!" scheming are meant to be a homage to Utena or not -- but I can't see how Ikuni could have signed off on them without being conscious of the similarities.  emot-biggrin  I can't wait for someone to explain how the Metro Play Girls' skits elucidate larger themes of each episode.

#118 | Back to Top07-30-2011 06:26:46 PM

Riddle of Epicurus
Miki Molester

Maya-chan wrote:

I also noticed that episode 4 of Penguindrum with Ringo's fantasies of 'Yuri and Tabuki' is also the same episode number in Utena where Nanami has the 'Get rid of Anthy' fantasies. I think episode 4 of Penguindrum definitely pays homage to episode 4 of Utena emot-smile

When she lets the caterpillar out and acts scared of it, she strikes the exact same pose Nanami did each time she pulled out an animal in that episode. emot-smile

#119 | Back to Top07-30-2011 06:57:03 PM

Maya-chan
Miki Molester

satyreyes wrote:

Maya-chan wrote:

They have lunch exactly at 12:30 but it does not mean that they will eat 'Ringo's' lunch since fate has been altered by Yuri with her lunch and the crows ruining Ringo's lunch. Thus I think Yuri is a character that can ruin one's fate but the structure of it will be according to the diary so she is like an obstacle to Ringo's planing of fate.

Yeah, the diary doesn't always come to pass the way Ringo expects, for sure.  But I don't think we have a good reason to blame Yuri for it yet.  Ringo's [first kiss] got screwed up, too, but that seemed to be on Sho, not Yuri.  Yuri is creepy, but so far it seems to me she is the least creepy main character in this anime other than Sho.  emot-smile

I don't know whether all the prince/princess motifs and "that's exactly what will happen!" scheming are meant to be a homage to Utena or not -- but I can't see how Ikuni could have signed off on them without being conscious of the similarities.  emot-biggrin  I can't wait for someone to explain how the Metro Play Girls' skits elucidate larger themes of each episode.

Oh yeah Sho is an obstacle too. I think there are going to be many obstacles that will be altering/modifying Ringo's diary of 'fate' in the episodes to come

#120 | Back to Top07-30-2011 09:16:07 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

satyreyes wrote:

I can't wait for someone to explain how the Metro Play Girls' skits elucidate larger themes of each episode.

The Metro girls seem to have very scenario specific skits that don't have much to do with symbols/archetypes/series theme. Like in this episode it was basically [Don't take your eyes off your stuff or else someone's going to steal it! And that ended up getting applied to the birds who ate Ringo's lunch, Sho "stealing" Ringo's first kiss, maybe Yuri keeping her eyes on Ringo so Ringo doesn't take Tabuki, and maybe Ringo not keeping her eyes on reality] However, they have the same outfits as possessed!Himari so I'm hoping they become more significant in the coming episodes.

As for Ringo, I think she needs to stop looking in that diary or, at the very least, stop forcing the events she wants to happen. With the exception of [the rather ominous little note about the girl in red heels], all the events that are described in the diary occur because Ringo makes them occur. I think I said this before, but Ringo always has the option of not taking action. In fact, I think Ringo would have a better chance at scoring Tabuki if she could be more flexible--she'd be certainly less nervous about events at least. So either, Ringo has the power to create her own fate if she ever realizes that taking a different course of action is a viable option (the mystical penguin drum perhaps?) or she is slave to her fate because the option of not taking action or taking a different course of action never occurs to her.

ETA: I was rewatching the Rock Over Japan sequence and just noticed that most of the stars are actually snowflakes and that the mecha bears appear with a burst of flowers. I guess that sequence does have some symbolic significance relating to cycles and transitions.

ETA2: On a slightly unrelated note, I found a chiptune remix of Dear Future!

Last edited by Malacoda (07-31-2011 06:08:15 PM)

#121 | Back to Top08-02-2011 01:08:16 PM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

This show is so crazy! Getting kind of bored of the Ringo plot though. Still curious about that kiss in episode 1.

#122 | Back to Top08-02-2011 05:57:37 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The Subway Girls make such perfect sense. etc-love Utena deconstructed everything from fairy tales to shoujo anime, and was heavily influenced by theatre -thus the Shadow Play Girls commentary and bizarre critique on the characters and their plots, especially via allegorical plays that mocked just as much as they explored, were a great match.  Mawaru Penguindrum is about fate (so far, apparently), and so two girls giving out warnings and advice to people riding on a form of transportation which they do not steer (they choose which one to take, and when, but after that... who knows what could happen)?   etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#123 | Back to Top08-03-2011 02:29:44 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

Maya-chan wrote:

I think it was much more of an homage and parody of Rose of Versailles. The style they used on the shocked and happy expressions were literally the same as from the show. Heck, they even mentioned it's title at one point.

http://i56.tinypic.com/65y6x3.jpg

Last edited by Louchan (08-03-2011 02:32:11 AM)

#124 | Back to Top08-03-2011 03:27:08 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Aiko, Yuuko and Keiko?  Where?  ?_?  I'd be curious to get a screen capture.  One of my homeys and I are starting to think there might legitimately be some kind of tie-in between Penguindrum and Utena.

Specifically -- the subway girls definitely reflect/remind me of the shadowplay girls.
(Presumably) dead parents for the leads in both shows.
Something -- (an orb ?) get pulled from the boy's chest in Ep One.  The sequence looks extremely similar to the swords-in-chests from Utena and never gets explained.
The abilities of the "Locus of fates" strikes me as similar to the "power of miracles" were supposed to allow.
The penguins remind me a *lot* of Chu-Chu.  I would be surprised if they didn't have the same sort of witch-familiar relationship with their masters that Anthy had with her pet.
The hand-touching in the OP evokes the Utena OP and the ending sequence definitely evokes the art styles used in the Utena art books.

I doubt this story is taking place within the Utena "universe" per se, but I do feel that there's some sort of interconnectivity between both narratives.  The metaphysics of both worlds might be similar, albeit with different window-dressing.  This could be Ikuhara just playing with ideas and images he enjoys, but I can't help but to expect this show might be building off of SKU in some way.  Or maybe I'm just overly cised. emot-tongue

By the by, did anyone notice the "real" penguins in Ep One look like actual penguins would?

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#125 | Back to Top08-03-2011 06:31:28 AM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Louchan wrote:

Maya-chan wrote:

I think it was much more of an homage and parody of Rose of Versailles. The style they used on the shocked and happy expressions were literally the same as from the show. Heck, they even mentioned it's title at one point.

http://i56.tinypic.com/65y6x3.jpg

You're right! And Yuri looks an awfully lot like Marie Antoinette. Having said that, wasn't Utena inspired largely by Rose of Versailles? There's an awful lot of roses and cross-dressing in both series'.

Board footer