This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-25-2006 09:59:33 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

The Duels!

What's your favourite duel?
Mine would difinitely be the ones with Juri. They're simply brilliant!
And the second duel against Touga was pretty interesting too. Especially the fact that Utena won with a broken sword and without any help from Dios. Impressive.
From the Black Rose Arc I'd pick Wakaba's duel 'cause it was different than others before it.

Anyway, discusss duels here.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#2 | Back to Top10-25-2006 10:12:53 AM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

Re: The Duels!

Definately agree with all the ones you put down. I'd also have to naturally add "Revolution" Utena vs. Akio. I love how it starts with Utena fighting with all her might and Akio just looks bored until she says "It means I'll become a prince!" and then everything starts going to hell. It's one of the only two times in the series in which Akio looks scared, the other being in the very next episode of course. "Internal Clock Municiple Orrery" helps a lot too.

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#3 | Back to Top10-25-2006 10:37:23 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Ooo, "Revolution" was very good too! I like to think that it didn't end when Utena was stabbed by Anthy, but rather the duel went on till the very end. Nobody really won it but then again, there were different rules too. Or more like lack of rules... o.O

#4 | Back to Top10-25-2006 01:37:53 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

My personal favourite is Mikage's duel, because of the ending -- I felt all my understanding of what the hell was going on crash down around my ears just as he did. We suck. emot-dance

I particularly like Juri's second duel for the beautiful ending, and then I could watch Wakaba's over and over (the facts that it is (a) so emotionally gut-wrenching and that (b) Utena wins without even drawing the sword slay me every time). The best ending to any duel, however, in pure kick-to-the-groin-ness, is Utena and Akio's duel. Damn, that was a hell of a way for Anthy to get involved...I mean, we already knew she wasn't above interfering, but damn, that was a hell of a surprise. I love this kind of thing. emot-dance

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#5 | Back to Top10-25-2006 02:02:15 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I love Shiori's duel. There's more symbolism than you could ever guess. It's one of the few duels that I have completely figured out. (I'd love to write a complete analysis on that duel, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to write an interpretation that long here.)

#6 | Back to Top10-25-2006 03:02:51 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Wakaba's is really great, really heart wrenching stuff. And definitely the most unique duel in the series.

But if I have to pick a personal favourite, it's Touga's third duel, enitrely due to the ending sequence. Completely over the top awesomeness!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#7 | Back to Top10-25-2006 10:44:24 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Razara wrote:

I love Shiori's duel. There's more symbolism than you could ever guess. It's one of the few duels that I have completely figured out. (I'd love to write a complete analysis on that duel, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to write an interpretation that long here.)

That's what this thread is for!
Analyzis are more than welcome here.

That last duel with Touga was interesting because of the fact how Saionji was involved with it it too. It almost seemed as if he was helping Touga and they both were fighting against Utena, but naturally Touga was the more active side of those two.

#8 | Back to Top10-25-2006 11:38:30 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

I love Jury's duels, Shiori's, and Wakaba's the most. I have a ton vying for a close second, so I won't bother posting them all. emot-keke

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.
-I have the honor of playing Tenjou Utena on LJ's wonderful UTENA_RPG.-

#9 | Back to Top10-26-2006 06:27:19 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Wakaba's is really great, really heart wrenching stuff. And definitely the most unique duel in the series.

This one, my god. I get teary every time I watch it, I think in no small part due to Wakaba's voice, the way she screams out some of the words and you can hear the tears welling up from how overwrought she is. Just wow. Also her duel song rocks in about ten different directions.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top10-27-2006 12:39:39 AM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

Giovanna wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

This one, my god. I get teary every time I watch it, I think in no small part due to Wakaba's voice, the way she screams out some of the words and you can hear the tears welling up from how overwrought she is. Just wow. Also her duel song rocks in about ten different directions.

I can definitely relate to Wakaba (esp. black rose Wakaba). When I first started actively buying Utena, I was in high school...I won't go into what happened there in detail, not ever in my life to anyone, but I now have severe post-traumatic stress disorder that occasionally borders on hikkomori syndrome, and most of it is due to that school.

I got a new DVD one day...and it came to that one episode, Wakaba's duel. When she grabbed Utena by the hair, screaming... "you could NEVER understand! You special people, without a care in the world...you and the student council, and that girl, too! You use the special things you were born with, and TRAMPLE THE REST OF US!" And the way she slips backward at the end, even though Utena's gripping her like mad, and that ONE tear just rolled down her face...

I don't know how long I cried or how many times I rewound and replayed that duel. It was just...I don't know. I really don't know how to describe that, but I stil cry sometimes when I watch it. A lot of things in the series hit me HARD, but that one is the only one that made me cry.

It's so beautiful and terrible at the same time...I know those aren't two words you'd often hear used to describe the same thing, but it is anyway. It's certainly the most emotional of the black rose duels, and that's saying a lot, considering they were all based on similar hatreds and fears.

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.
-I have the honor of playing Tenjou Utena on LJ's wonderful UTENA_RPG.-

#11 | Back to Top10-27-2006 08:23:54 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

About Wakaba's duel... yeah.

I don't even want to analyse why. Watching that duel for the first time made me feel like I'd been shot in the gut.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#12 | Back to Top10-27-2006 08:45:19 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Rosemary Bats wrote:

It's so beautiful and terrible at the same time...I know those aren't two words you'd often hear used to describe the same thing, but it is anyway. It's certainly the most emotional of the black rose duels, and that's saying a lot, considering they were all based on similar hatreds and fears.

I agree 100%. I think, though, that there are a lot of factors at work in what make Wakaba's duel so powerful. Kozue? Shiori? They're fighting, but not because of the people in the arena. All of Wakaba's anger and frustration is focused on Utena and Anthy, and it's intense and all-consuming because it's completely hopeless. I think that's a lot of what drives the state she's in, a sense of desperation and futility. Utena is everything Wakaba wants to be but isn't, and Anthy has what Wakaba wants for herself and cannot, and all the anger, sword swinging, and attacking the Rose Bride (even Kanae doesn't do this, does she?) in the world won't change that. She can hurt them, kill them, but they'll always be better than her, and that realization fuels her fury.

And what about that tear she sheds? Regret? Shame? Sadness? Does she cry because she even after all this, Utena's proved herself the better man? Surely it's in some part realizing what's she's done and feeling bad; Wakaba's a good person and despite any motivation couldn't properly justify her behavior. But at that same moment, it occurs to her: her dorm room is empty now. Her moment to shine so brightly has passed.

Not many of us relate to Wakaba most of the time. SKU doesn't draw the kind of crowd that thinks or acts like her, really, and her innocence and optimism just don't jive at all with the majority of us who relate to Anthy or Juri or Saionji. But even if you can't relate to her limitless optimism and effervescence, I think the vast, vast majority of us can relate to the things she says in that duel.

Sometimes I wonder, if you took Wakaba and Saionji to an alternate dimension where they would talk honestly about these things, if they'd not find in this quite a bit of common ground. I'm not usually a 'shipper kind of fan, and I'm really not in this case either, but those episodes have always struck me as painfully sad because these two people pass through each other's lives so pointlessly and disruptively, when you really have to wonder, had someone's wall cracked a little, had circumstances been different, had eyes been open, had there been a little more honesty, maybe, maybe they could have found some comfort in their lives with each other. Wakaba spent days with the man she adores, so much that just being with him lifted her up, and he in turn sat in this girl's dorm for days, completely oblivious to the fact that in it was someone that would have happily provided the love and affection he so desperately needs. They were so close, they were right there, but miles apart, and what could have been just simply wasn't.

Now I feel like I've been shot in the gut, and I was just typing about it. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#13 | Back to Top10-27-2006 11:06:32 AM

ZSPACE
Touga Topper

I love Miki's duel when Kouze is his bride. The chours is very different so that's cool, but the most excitng part is when Kouze kisses Anthy. I was totally caught off guard. Was not expectin' that.

#14 | Back to Top10-27-2006 11:24:13 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Giovanna wrote:

Rosemary Bats wrote:

I agree 100%. I think, though, that there are a lot of factors at work in what make Wakaba's duel so powerful. Kozue? Shiori? They're fighting, but not because of the people in the arena. All of Wakaba's anger and frustration is focused on Utena and Anthy, and it's intense and all-consuming because it's completely hopeless. I think that's a lot of what drives the state she's in, a sense of desperation and futility. Utena is everything Wakaba wants to be but isn't, and Anthy has what Wakaba wants for herself and cannot, and all the anger, sword swinging, and attacking the Rose Bride (even Kanae doesn't do this, does she?) in the world won't change that. She can hurt them, kill them, but they'll always be better than her, and that realization fuels her fury.

And what about that tear she sheds? Regret? Shame? Sadness? Does she cry because she even after all this, Utena's proved herself the better man? Surely it's in some part realizing what's she's done and feeling bad; Wakaba's a good person and despite any motivation couldn't properly justify her behavior. But at that same moment, it occurs to her: her dorm room is empty now. Her moment to shine so brightly has passed.

Not many of us relate to Wakaba most of the time. SKU doesn't draw the kind of crowd that thinks or acts like her, really, and her innocence and optimism just don't jive at all with the majority of us who relate to Anthy or Juri or Saionji. But even if you can't relate to her limitless optimism and effervescence, I think the vast, vast majority of us can relate to the things she says in that duel.

Sometimes I wonder, if you took Wakaba and Saionji to an alternate dimension where they would talk honestly about these things, if they'd not find in this quite a bit of common ground. I'm not usually a 'shipper kind of fan, and I'm really not in this case either, but those episodes have always struck me as painfully sad because these two people pass through each other's lives so pointlessly and disruptively, when you really have to wonder, had someone's wall cracked a little, had circumstances been different, had eyes been open, had there been a little more honesty, maybe, maybe they could have found some comfort in their lives with each other. Wakaba spent days with the man she adores, so much that just being with him lifted her up, and he in turn sat in this girl's dorm for days, completely oblivious to the fact that in it was someone that would have happily provided the love and affection he so desperately needs. They were so close, they were right there, but miles apart, and what could have been just simply wasn't.

Now I feel like I've been shot in the gut, and I was just typing about it. emot-frown

Wow, hell of an analysis. Awesome. I'll be re-watching that duel when I get home. It does get me every time, not only for Wakaba's sake but because for Utena it is the most personal duel and she has her two best friends needing her in two different ways. And she comes through for both of them. So cool, my hero!

I think it's been commented on but in the Japanese version, Utena calls Himemiya "Anthy" during that scene, one of the very few times she ever calls her that. In the English version, Utena always calls Himemiya "Anthy" so they switched which character says the familiar and have Anthy say "Utena" without the honorific instead of "Miss Utena" as she usually does. 

ZSPACE wrote:

I love Miki's duel when Kouze is his bride. The chours is very different so that's cool, but the most excitng part is when Kouze kisses Anthy. I was totally caught off guard. Was not expectin' that.

Yeah, and look who's driving. Anthy is totally in control, taking one for the team. And I love Utena in that scene too for what she DOESN'T do. Utena is not at all distracted by the seduction going on. Ever since Touga distracted her and took Anthy, Utena is undistracted during duels,  totally "eyes on the prize".

Last edited by Dani (10-27-2006 11:26:27 AM)

#15 | Back to Top10-27-2006 12:17:52 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I've always seen that tear as most prominently being the realization that her fifteen minutes of fame are up. At the start of the episode she's on top of the world and then it all starts to fall apart. She has any number of reasons to be heartbroken, but this being the end of a duel which focused all her hatred, anger and, above all else, her envy of Utena. She's got to be crushed to feel she's lost what feels like her only chance to be somebody.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#16 | Back to Top10-28-2006 03:58:20 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

My favorite duel would be Juri's duel with Ruka as her 'bride'. it always makes me want to cry t-t
but...with the breaking of her locket, she became free of Shiori (for the most part)
So it ended up good..but it was still sad. Juri probably could have won if that didn't happen.
Then again, she could have won the first duel...

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

#17 | Back to Top10-28-2006 04:54:23 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Mikage's duel and the Ruka/Juri episodes are definitely my favorites.

I've always identified strongly with Mikage for various reasons, most of which I won't bore you by sharing here. That moment when the picture of Mamiya turns into the real Mamiya and then the pictures fall down on the desks, when Mikage realizes that the Mamiya who has stayed with him all this time isn't even the real boy who he loved...that kills me.

And of course as we all know I am a huge Ruka fan ^o^v

#18 | Back to Top10-28-2006 06:47:02 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Well, these 'favorite' things tend to change quite frequently with me, but at this moment I would give my vote to Juri's first duel. Why? Ho boy, there is a reason. It's written out in several paragraphs of in-depth analisis that really belongs in a seperate topic. *wants to write it so badly* In short:

The irony, the answers behind the question 'why', visual appeal, perfect visual/music timing and a more than amusing ending, to which I laughed more than I should have.

---

The Wakaba duel however, didn't do much to me. Now I'm wondering why, since it seems to have left a strong impression on everyone else...

Last edited by Arki (10-28-2006 06:47:24 PM)

#19 | Back to Top10-28-2006 07:02:04 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Arki wrote:

Well, these 'favorite' things tend to change quite frequently with me, but at this moment I would give my vote to Juri's first duel. Why? Ho boy, there is a reason. It's written out in several paragraphs of in-depth analisis that really belongs in a seperate topic. *wants to write it so badly* In short:

The irony, the answers behind the question 'why', visual appeal, perfect visual/music timing and a more than amusing ending, to which I laughed more than I should have.

You don't need my permission for a new topic, do you? Go for it! I'm sure some of us are just raring to sink our teeth into a shot-by-shot analysis of Juri's first duels.

Arki wrote:

The Wakaba duel however, didn't do much to me. Now I'm wondering why, since it seems to have left a strong impression on everyone else...

You've never felt like you weren't special, and had to deal with someone who was? I don't know. In my case, it's worse because I have a compassionate temperament, so much that other peoples' suffering causes me grief. I get a reflection of the way I felt when I was younger, as well as someone else's pain, be they real or not.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#20 | Back to Top10-28-2006 08:46:48 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Yasha wrote:

In my case, it's worse because I have a compassionate temperament, so much that other peoples' suffering causes me grief.

I did have some thoughts to post, but since they were mostly off-topic and would catch the eye of an admin, I decided to play safe. :D But I just had to reply to the quote, because having compassion to other people's problems in something admirable, really. A friend once told me something that impressed me quite a bit; How it doesn't matter what kind of a problem it is, but how much that problem is bothering the person. It made me realise that there's no such thing as a 'stupid' problem and so my sympathy and understanding level of others incresed. Go me.

And just to give an allusion that I'm still on-topic d:, when I think about it, Wakaba's duel probably didn't stir as much emotions as it should have, because I didn't relate to the character much at that moment. I watched the episode only once and that was purely to know how the story is progressing. If Wakaba's troubles were similar to any of my own, I'm sure I would have instantly related to the pain the poor girl was going through. Instead, I'll have to re-watch this episode again and think from a perspective different than my own, so I could come to an understanding of her character, eventually. Fun, fun. (:

#21 | Back to Top10-29-2006 09:00:29 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I absolutely love Wakaba's duel. I really want to research the lyrics one of these days. The duel with Miki and Kozue is another one that I love, especially the duel song. The end of Nanami's duel almost makes me cry every time. Juri's duel is, of course, one of my favorites.

What gets me the most about Shiori's duel is the symbolism. Anthy, for example, symbolizes the part of herself that was, "Living a miserable life in the shadow of Juri's brilliance," which is made apparent by the camera angle as she says that. Utena also symbolizes the Shiori that we see earlier in the episode. Symbolically, this is a duel between herself, as by winning, she'll destroy that part of herself forever by killing the Rose Bride. This affects the duel quite a bit. For example, in the first verse, it says:

"The eternal opposing relationship
Between the two sides of a mirror
The ever-growing ambitions
And the fickle cruel, lies"

This verse relates to her own internal conflict over her relationship with Juri. On the word "Mirror," Utena enters the scene, showing that Utena is the other side of the mirror. The sword appears from Anthy's chest as it says, "The ever-ambitions," meaning that these ambitions grow from that part of herself, leading to the fickle, cruel lies which ended their relationship.

Over all, the birds on the table symbolize Shiori, but more specifically, they symbolize her power over Juri. Throughout the episode, Shiori is always on higher ground than Juri, and even when Juri is at a place as high as the student council meeting room, a bird flies over her, casting its shadow. When Juri shows indifference towards their past friendship, the bird flies into the window, and when she explains that she never cared for that boy, and so she doesn't have any hard feelings for her, she's lost her power over Juri, and so the bird dies. Also, notice the color of the bird. It's black and white, with an orange beak. In Juri's memories of her, the memory is black and white, with the exception of the orange rose she carries. Also, the black and white is an opposing pattern of light and shadows. Each bird on the table faces a different direction, just as Shiori faced away from Juri. Each direction they face is a different way of seeing the world: a different personality.

Anthy is once again shown on as it says, "Ah, within the darkness," as well as Utena's questions on why she's doing this. She's doing this because she was trapped within the darkness. Notice how Utena and Shiori's movements mirror each other as they debate this. This is Shiori's own internal conflict.

Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me
Isolation outbreak, that's the reason making a pair out of me and me

Juri's light casted a shadow of Shiori. Duelist Shiori is this shadow. Her shadow is her twin, a darker part of herself, created by Juri's light.

The ending of the duel might not be quite as amazing as Wakaba's duel, but the symbolism makes it rather interesting. The birds all face one direction as Dios appears, and fly away in the same direction. They fly over Anthy, casting their shadows over her, and they fly over Shiori as well as she screams. Shiori falls off screen, so that all we can see are the empty perches and Anthy off in the background. She lost her duel, and so now all that's left of her is the part of herself that was living a miserable life in Juri's shadow.

#22 | Back to Top10-29-2006 09:40:48 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I love your interpretation of Shiori's duel. I was always wondering about those birds.
At first glance, all the Black Rose duels seem so much alike (especially the way how Utena fights them), save for Wakaba's, but once you get into the symbolism and the meanings behind everything, every dule becomes more unique.

#23 | Back to Top11-14-2006 06:59:04 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Maarika wrote:

I love your interpretation of Shiori's duel. I was always wondering about those birds.
At first glance, all the Black Rose duels seem so much alike (especially the way how Utena fights them), save for Wakaba's, but once you get into the symbolism and the meanings behind everything, every dule becomes more unique.

I think there's something to that, though, that Utena really duels the same way in BRS, with the exception of Wakaba's duel. I think that by having Utena do the same thing in and out, you see how cyclic (oh, look, cycles, revolutions, I wonder what we're talking about) and structured the duels really are, and ultimately how in control of everything Akio really is, even though it's nominally Mikage's show. Plus, it provides a control. The duelists are defeated the same way every time, and really, it's because of the intesity of thier own desires and issues getting in the way. None of them are able to focus beyond themselves to the task at hand, and so Utena manages to defeat them, even with staid movements. The control aspect comes in that Utena's movement doesn't really distract us from the complications of the Black Rose duelist at hand. Although you can assign meanings and interpretations to them, Utena's movements only play key roles in tiny moments in each duel, and even then, it's oftentimes before the duel actually starts. By seeing Utena react the same way to everything, we in turn see the reactions of the duelist's, and how each one differs, and how each obsession or trauma really does drive them.

I think that the large reason that Wakaba's duel differs is that it's the only one to really deal with Utena. Wakaba's issues stem out of insecurity, and a lot of that insecurity is laid directly at the feet of the other two people in the dueling arena. There's no way something so directly personal to Utena  could use the same motions, and there's no way that Utena would treat her the same way as she does Kanae or Keiko. There's no way that she could.

That said, Shiori's duel is my favorite largely because of the beautiful chorus, and the symbolism to it. It's also the only one that I was able to completly analyze on my own. emot-biggrin Wakaba's moves me to tears every time, and I really like Keiko's. So there you go.

Also, they probably wanted to save on animation.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#24 | Back to Top11-15-2006 06:12:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Something that always struck me about the BRS duels was Utena's ignorance in them. In the other duels, Utena's usually at least partially aware of the motivations involved, or the situations leading up to the duel. She was aware of Miki's attraction to Anthy, she saw Juri getting coiled for attack. Touga, well that she never saw coming, because Touga never socialized with her in a way that would show his intentions, but that was who he was, and Utena wouldn't have understood him anyway.

In the BRS duels, she has people coming at her without any understanding at all of why, so she battles each the same way. Even Wakaba's duel she doesn't understand, she admits this openly, although her understanding is perhaps much better than she lets on, if actual sympathy is lacking.

Of course, the kicker in that is that Akio explains each of them (well most of them) to her, and she doesn't understand him. emot-wink

Board footer