This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-28-2006 11:37:41 AM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

Halloween!

So, who loves Halloween? I know that I do! This weekend is going to be full of festivites for myself. I'm working at a Haunted House this afternoon as one of the creepy guides (last year I was a blood-covered victim, which was fun, but this year I asked to please not be covered in blood). As on the day itself I shall be dressed as V from V for Vendetta, which is a great costum because then I can use it next Sunday for Guy Fawkes day. emot-keke

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#2 | Back to Top10-28-2006 11:56:49 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Halloween!

We don't really have Halloween in Estonia.
But it sounds fun! "V for Vendetta" was very good, the costume seems quite easy to make if you can get the mask from somewhere.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top10-28-2006 03:26:47 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

azuresquirrel wrote:

As on the day itself I shall be dressed as V from V for Vendetta

Yasha and I have something of a thing for hideously disfigured men in masks that like roses. (You know, if you go with less literal interpretations of 'horribly disfigured' and 'masks', Akio counts! school-eng101) So that said, I whole-heartedly support your choice. emot-dance

As for Halloween, it's actually one of my favorite holidays period. Second favorite after Christmas, and based on theme, it outdoes Christmas. (Christmas I like for the food and pomp and parties and pretty tree, none of which we're doing this year at my house. emot-frown) But I used to treat Halloween like the second coming, I'd spend months figuring out my costume. (Funny story: I was Snow White when I was about six; the next year my three year old brother wore the costume. I have pictures. He was adorable.) My mother bought me, on a total whim once, a $300 dollar costume from a store, it was the kind you rent, but she talked the guy into selling it (she didn't even know if it would fit). It was green crushed velvet with a square neckline and huge bell sleeves and cuts in the skirt that were full of gold lining. It fit me like glove for about five years before my boobs got too big to squeeze into it. She'd meant for it to be Halloween costume, and it indeed was, but I used to wear that thing to class five or six times a year because I wanted to. I also wore it to the Renaissance Fair a couple times before they stopped hosting it at Vizcaya. Then I sold it on eBay. emot-gonk

I don't dress up for Halloween anymore, mostly because I'm hideously broke and I can't sew (my grandmother and the grandmother of a friend of mine back then used to make my costumes). Trick-or-treaters aren't allowed where I live, so I get none of that...my brother did carve a pumpkin though:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/pumpkin.jpg

I think it's pretty badass. He's so artistic. etc-love But that's all we're doing for Halloween. I miss holidays, but I think they were a luxury of wealth and family. emot-frown It sounds silly, I know, but part of my big stupid dream of living in New York City involves dressing up and going to grown-up Halloween parties. emot-frown

The next year I can afford it, I'm making a Roman noble costume. I mean, that's gotta be easy enough even for an idiot like me to sew, I just need to find gigantic bolts of linen and maybe silk...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top10-28-2006 04:32:41 PM

Lotte
Saionji Slapper

Giovanna wrote:

Yasha and I have something of a thing for hideously disfigured men in masks that like roses.

They're especially worth having a 'thing' for if they can hit notes nicely.

Seeing as the street/dirt road I live on has about three other houses that are lived in year round, trick-or-treating was never a huge thing. And my school didn't let you attend in costume. :/ Spoilsports. I think they might've one year, but only for the last hour of the schoolday, which seemed like an awfully short time to go to all the trouble of getting your stuff on.

Also, my mother insisted that I wear a sweater over or under my costume ('It's OCTOBER!'), which resulted in me feeling incredibly dorky when I was trying to dress as a fairy princess or whatnot. I was always a stereotypical girl in my costume choices. emot-rolleyes

So, basically, I hang around my door and wait for these two little girls that live waaay up said dirt road to visit. They're so sweet, we always put out a pumpkin and give candy just for them. xD;;; They're the only ones that come.

Wow, guiding in a Haunted House? That sounds fun! emot-dance I hope you have a good time. n.n

#5 | Back to Top10-28-2006 04:57:01 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Heh -- if I ever do a jack-o'-lantern, it would prolly be the O RLY? owl. emot-dance

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#6 | Back to Top10-28-2006 04:59:19 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Halloween = <3

But, we don't celebrate it here. There are a few people who dress up in costumes, just for the fun of going through door to door and getting sweets. However, it's so rare that when a person knocked on my door once, I asked them for what event did they dress up for. The other years no one knocked at all. One of my teachers referred to  Halloween as "American nonsense", but she's the kind of person you learn not to listen to sometimes.

The lack of Halloween is compensated though! Yay! n_n Instead of Halloween, we have a masquerade every year in February, that has the same concept of dressing up (though you don't necessarily need to look scary), going door to door for sweets and generaly having a good time. Plus, it's even better when it falls on a working day, when students come dressed up to school. It just makes the day so much more interesting. I don't know the exact root of the tradition, but it's a fun event nonetheless. Eh, random trivia.

#7 | Back to Top10-28-2006 05:18:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Arki wrote:

Instead of Halloween, we have a masquerade every year in February, that has the same concept of dressing up (though you don't necessarily need to look scary), going door to door for sweets and generaly having a good time.

That sounds equally badass. The world needs more masquerades! (Is there another reason to go to Venice? Absolutely, but you'd have to be an idiot not to try and time yourself accordingly.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#8 | Back to Top10-28-2006 10:03:41 PM

NerveGas
New Student
Website

Halloween is great. Any excuse to dress up. Am going to dress as a pirate and go to a pub, hooray.

A skin for dancing in.

#9 | Back to Top10-29-2006 01:04:20 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I might go to San Francisco, if I manage to reconcile with a friend of mine in time. (wish me luck!)

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#10 | Back to Top10-29-2006 01:29:55 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOU GUYS.

I'm not even kidding. I realised last month when I casually mentioned to a friend that I still hadn't planned a costume (I'd go as Spider Jerusalem because I've ALWAYS wanted to go to as Spider Jerusalem) that all my friends somehow grew a maturity and have decided they're "above halloween"

Aside from one party, which is clearly an excuse to dress in "sexy" costumes and hook up.

I'm going to take advanage of halloween events on MMOs for now emot-frown

(in my goddamn costume)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#11 | Back to Top10-29-2006 03:57:11 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

My best friend and I are both 19, and we STILL go door to door, together, every year (we've been best friends since the second grade). And we have sworn to do it until the people slam the doors in our faces and refuse us candy. BECAUSE IT'S FUN, DAMMIT, AND WE WILL NEVER OUTGROW IT emot-dance She's cutting her film class and coming from an hour away so we can trick-or-treat our annual route near where I live, if you need proof of how seriously we take this, LOL.

We also seem to rotate whether we do a group theme to every-other year. Three years ago, she was Pippin from Lord of the Rings and I was Columbia from Rocky Horror. Year before last., I went as nurse!Elle Driver and she went as vol2!The Bride, both from Kill Bill. Last year, she was Mr. Orange from Reservoir Dogs and I was Violet Beauregarde from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the new film version).

This year, we're doing a theme again. We're both chracters from RENT: she's Mark and I'm Angel (in the santa-drag outfit). We're gonna raise hell. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Rosemary Bats (10-29-2006 03:58:45 PM)

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.
-I have the honor of playing Tenjou Utena on LJ's wonderful UTENA_RPG.-

#12 | Back to Top10-30-2006 08:23:43 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

My birthday is exactly one week before Halloween, so it's always kind of a combo dress up/give Andrea stuff event. This year I'm going out with some friends from work to get hammered on Church Street. Maybe something good will happen, you never know. I'm making my costume, and I was gonna be a Pink Princess Privateer (any excuse to wear a hot pink corset) but one of the guys is going as Captain Morgan, so....I think I might just have to be a Pink Old West Saloon Girl/Whore. Halloween =j'adore.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#13 | Back to Top10-30-2006 08:28:44 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Halloween is my favorite holiday!

I can dress up funny & ask strangers for candy at night!  HOW COOL IS THAT?

I'm going as Devi from Jhonen Vasquez's JTHM/I Feel Sick

I etc-love Jhonen Vasquez

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#14 | Back to Top10-30-2006 08:36:46 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

If I had a pumpkin, I'd carve a Chu-Chu out of it school-chef
That would actaully be something original or different at least.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#15 | Back to Top10-30-2006 06:10:02 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Maarika wrote:

If on the other hand your name was Saionji and you had a Chu-chu, you could carve a pumpkin out of it. school-devilschool-chef

#16 | Back to Top10-30-2006 06:22:00 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

If you're going to carve a pumpkin so that it looks like an Utena character, Juri would be a good one. It would match the color of her hair.

My friend went trick-or-treating as Utena one year, but nobody knew who she was. Trick-or-treating dressed as an Utena character would be fun, though. I wonder who the scariest looking one is? :0

#17 | Back to Top10-30-2006 06:51:49 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

For clubbing tomorrow night, I'm recycling my Hester Prynne (The Scarlet Letter) costume from last year.  But for the Halloween party I went to on Saturday, I was THE UGLY ONE! at her sweet someteen birthday party.  I had to think fast, and I already had the red dress, sooo...  And we both wear glasses, and I like incorporating my glasses into costumes when I can.

But if I could get my hands on one o' them poofy-sleeved Ohtori fuku, I'd make a great Wakaba.  I dye my hair red anyway, and we both have really high foreheads.  I just gotta work on the whole uber-genki thing.  Demeanor-wise, I'm more suited to Juri, though.

Last edited by mercurynin (10-30-2006 06:52:42 PM)

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#18 | Back to Top10-30-2006 07:09:14 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I'm going as Princess Peach, and my boyfriend is going as Mario. emot-dance I just went to get the crown and gloves today.

I'm also playing Magenta in the college annual production of Rocky Horror, and I've already got my maid outfit. Wednesday my friends have planned a mock protest for zombie rights on campus. You get to be either a pro or con human, or a pro or con zombie. I'm a pro-Zombie human. I'll be dressing up as a hippie and hopefully borrowing a guitar so I can make up crappy protest songs. NO BLOOD FOR BRAINS! school-chef

Hat Mafia Member

#19 | Back to Top10-31-2006 06:47:50 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

morosemocha wrote:

My birthday is exactly one week before Halloween

Mine's a week before Valentine's Day. You win. emot-gonk

Tamago wrote:

Maarika wrote:

If on the other hand your name was Saionji and you had a Chu-chu, you could carve a pumpkin out of it. school-devilschool-chef

HAHAHAHA, is he going to scoop out the insides and make a pie to feed to Anthy? (He's probably a far better cook than Anthy, but then that's not saying much. He scorches eggs and she makes kitchens explode...) Poor Saionji, he's just jealous Chu-chu gets to sleep with her and everything. emot-frown emot-frown

#20 | Back to Top10-31-2006 08:16:27 AM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

Giovanna wrote:

azuresquirrel wrote:

As on the day itself I shall be dressed as V from V for Vendetta

Yasha and I have something of a thing for hideously disfigured men in masks that like roses. (You know, if you go with less literal interpretations of 'horribly disfigured' and 'masks', Akio counts! school-eng101) So that said, I whole-heartedly support your choice. emot-dance

Amusing that you put it like that. All weekend people kept confusing me for the Phantom of the Opera. Or Zorro. emot-rolleyes  But no matter who they thought I was dressed as, they were always surprised to see me pull down the mask, as they all thought I was a guy (a really really short guy, clearly). Yay for Halloween gender confusion! emot-dance

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#21 | Back to Top10-31-2006 01:01:28 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Rosemary Bats wrote:

My best friend and I are both 19, and we STILL go door to door, together, every year (we've been best friends since the second grade). And we have sworn to do it until the people slam the doors in our faces and refuse us candy. BECAUSE IT'S FUN, DAMMIT, AND WE WILL NEVER OUTGROW IT emot-dance She's cutting her film class and coming from an hour away so we can trick-or-treat our annual route near where I live, if you need proof of how seriously we take this, LOL.

We also seem to rotate whether we do a group theme to every-other year. Three years ago, she was Pippin from Lord of the Rings and I was Columbia from Rocky Horror. Year before last., I went as nurse!Elle Driver and she went as vol2!The Bride, both from Kill Bill. Last year, she was Mr. Orange from Reservoir Dogs and I was Violet Beauregarde from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the new film version).

This year, we're doing a theme again. We're both chracters from RENT: she's Mark and I'm Angel (in the santa-drag outfit). We're gonna raise hell. emot-biggrin

No one's too old for Trick or Treating! emot-keke I'm nineteen, turning twenty in about two weeks, and I still love to go trick or treating and I doubt I'll ever tire of it too soon. (It helps that people think I look like I'm twelve or thirteen, though.. More candy!)

Oh gods, I wish I knew how to sew and could do nifty themed costume with friends like that. That sound so fun. emot-aaa At lunch I met up with some friends and they dressed up as the Turks from Advent Children, and it looked great. My sister and I just bought these knight costume for little boys.. XP But it'll be fun to be dorks and sword-fight.

mercurynin wrote:

For clubbing tomorrow night, I'm recycling my Hester Prynne (The Scarlet Letter) costume from last year.  But for the Halloween party I went to on Saturday, I was THE UGLY ONE! at her sweet someteen birthday party.  I had to think fast, and I already had the red dress, sooo...  And we both wear glasses, and I like incorporating my glasses into costumes when I can.

But if I could get my hands on one o' them poofy-sleeved Ohtori fuku, I'd make a great Wakaba.  I dye my hair red anyway, and we both have really high foreheads.  I just gotta work on the whole uber-genki thing.  Demeanor-wise, I'm more suited to Juri, though.

A Hester Prynne costume? I adore you. O_O etc-love I would so love a costume like that. One time I tried to design a shirt with a similar design, but it came out way different. I want a sin letter sequin-y shirt thing. emot-biggrin Maybe S for "Sloth" or "Sleepy". Or something. And those Ohtori girl uniforms are so pretty. etc-love

Anyway, I love Halloween. It's about the only holiday I can stand. I love dressing up and candy and any excuse to act extra-weird. I just wish I knew how to sew and had more time to plan for Halloween things this year. ;__; Damn having a test the day after Halloween. *pouts*

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (10-31-2006 01:10:21 PM)

#22 | Back to Top10-31-2006 05:32:45 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

No one's too old for Trick or Treating!

That's because the nature of the trick or treat becomes more adult as you get older. school-deviletc-wankdudeetc-wankgirl

#23 | Back to Top10-31-2006 09:56:14 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm sad emot-frown

Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I have to study emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#24 | Back to Top11-01-2006 06:50:11 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

That's because the nature of the trick or treat becomes more adult as you get older. school-deviletc-wankdudeetc-wankgirl

I think it's more that the two combine into a flurry of naughty costumes. emot-dance

#25 | Back to Top11-01-2006 08:33:42 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

Tamago wrote:

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

I think it's more that the two combine into a flurry of naughty costumes. emot-dance

And instead of icky nylon costumes that tie in the back, you get to wear...icky, nylon costumes that tie in the back, BUT are much shorter, and therfore not as hot! Hah! Win! emot-dance

All things aside, I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally love being able to shop at Frederick's for my Halloween costumes. school-devil

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Board footer