This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-19-2013 05:12:18 AM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Anime mythology lecture and workshop in London (incl. Utena)

I do hope this doesn't break the spam rule as a., it's free, b., it's Utena, and c., it's awesome.

As I briefly explained yesterday in the introduction forum, I'm an anime scholar involved with topics of film analysis, mythology, psychotherapy and Eastern spirituality, with a special interest in enlightenment stories. And as Utena qualifies for every single bit of that, the series has a very privileged position in my research. emot-smile At the same time, all my work, both written and spoken, has so far has been done in Hungarian so I've had limited visibility abroad in the past years.

Something that's about to change.

I've been invited to hold a lecture and workshop on my anime research work at the Queen Mary University of London, UK, which will mark the first time that I'll be presenting my research work in English. The lecture, titled Mythological Storytelling in Anime will take place on Wednesday 25 September 2013 from 18.00 to 20.00, where I will elaborate on my hunches about how mythic thinking permeates much of anime, how therapeutic processes are incorporated into fantastical stories, and how contemporary female heroes emerge creating new myths that reflect changes in society. (You can already see how these points set the stage for SKU to come up sooner or later.)

The follow-up to the lecture, the Advanced Anime Analysis workshop will take place on Saturday 28 September from 10.00 to 13.30. Now this is where I want to dive headfirst into the strong stuff, this is the time to bring out the Oshiis, the Kons, the Annos and the Ikuharas. Since this is a more interactive workshop, the exact topics will be decided based on who is coming and what they want to see analyzed. I've made sure to include Utena as its own separate topic in the registration form as it's one of my most favourite topics and I can talk thirty to sixty hours about Utena on request (so I will have to try and limit myself). But if the audience will turn out to be more of a giant robot apocalypse crowd, then that will be more of the path it'll go down instead of the girl revolution apocalypse direction. (Apocalypse mandatory either way though.)

Both events are free to attend with a participant limit of 30 people. You can read more about the two events at the respective Facebook pages for the lecture and the workshop.

So my question to you guys is this:
Is there anyone here in London (or the general vicinity of the British Isles) who'd like to participate? Or know someone who would? Or is there a Great British Association of Utena Fandom that I could additionally contact?

If you'd like to come, please go ahead and register at this handy-dandy Google registration form or ask here if you have any questions.

Sorry again for the shameless advertising and I wish you all a duelless rest of the day.

Adam

#2 | Back to Top09-19-2013 09:17:56 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Anime mythology lecture and workshop in London (incl. Utena)

Well fuck me. emot-aaa

Okay, I'm putting this on the tumblr.

There's no Brit-specific fandom that I know of, no. Just us and tumblr. Unfortunately I am in Canada, or you better believe I'd be there. Can I also ask that if someone's going could they record this? Or is that not allowed?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top09-19-2013 10:07:50 AM

Stephen
Rose Bride

Unfortunately being a Southamptoner, that's probably going to be a trick to manage either dates. Well, aaaa maybe the saturday, but it's a push given the journey in would start at 7 AM. I'll certainly pass it around fellow British Utena people, some are a bit closer to the event.

We need a snazzy name really, that's all the rage, I hear. Royal Duelists? I can see myself trying to make the Queen the rose-bride, black rose style. *horrible sexual imagery of Queen x Akio*

#4 | Back to Top09-19-2013 10:25:11 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I did not need to think about Queen Elizabeth II x Akio. emot-gonk

Anyway, I'm going to try to get a Londoner friend of mine on board to check this out but as he's technically not my friend exactly maybe it's one of those things you know, I have no idea what the odds of success are. Stephen, you'll probably have better luck.

And if anyone wants me to reblog anything pertaining to this on tumblr, I'll do that... as soon as I get up.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top09-19-2013 11:39:23 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Stephen wrote:

We need a snazzy name really, that's all the rage, I hear. Royal Duelists? I can see myself trying to make the Queen the rose-bride, black rose style. *horrible sexual imagery of Queen x Akio*

Methinks Akio is somehow responsible for Margaret's Naked Posehttp://www.femalefirst.co.uk/royal_fami … 23502.html

Anyway, I do hope everyone involved in the meaningful event will have fun emot-biggrin

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#6 | Back to Top09-19-2013 12:42:17 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I put the word out to a few people in the area. I wish it were videoed or transcribed. It's intriguing.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#7 | Back to Top09-19-2013 02:34:01 PM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Hey-hi. Wow. Interest! Yay! emot-dance

So to address some of your Q's, here I go.

Can I also ask that if someone's going could they record this? Or is that not allowed?

Not only is it allowed, but I have a team of very enthusiastic people there who invited me in the first place. There will be two cameras rolling all the way throughout the two events. We'll discuss how long it will take to actually edit the footage together but there will be footage.

Unfortunately being a Southamptoner, that's probably going to be a trick to manage either dates. Well, aaaa maybe the saturday, but it's a push given the journey in would start at 7 AM.

I won't be shutting the doors at 10AM and it will last until at least 13.30 so if you say you can't make it to 10 but can manage 11 or 11.30 (that's when we're having our break though, and starting the second part at noon), I don't see why you couldn't attend.

And if anyone wants me to reblog anything pertaining to this on tumblr, I'll do that... as soon as I get up.

I reblogged your post and added the relevant links. Hope that helps.

I put the word out to a few people in the area.

Thanks. I'll keep you guys updated. Please have everyone fill the registration form as otherwise I won't know if we've reached our attendance limit.

Adam

Last edited by AdamDobay (09-19-2013 02:35:32 PM)

#8 | Back to Top09-19-2013 06:17:59 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Regarding a video recording, it is pretty easy to hook up a camera to a computer and stream using the various number of stream sites out there. Has the team considered this as a possibility, alongside the recording?

#9 | Back to Top09-19-2013 08:00:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh wow, that would be awesome!

Edit: Actually, now you have me thinking about like skype lectures or something like that... a video-essay would be a real treat to have on EM. Provided Adam or anyone else wants to do that, of course...

Edit for stupidity: I actually meant to say that I reblogged your post about the lecture, Adam. emot-keke

#10 | Back to Top09-20-2013 01:16:04 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

I did not need to think about Queen Elizabeth II x Akio. emot-gonk

Two words. Vagina dentata.

This sounds completely awesome!!! I am all for video of the lecture, whether it gets an SKU focus or not. The subject matter would be a great bouncing off point for SKU at any rate, and if you'd like to continue the content of the lecture in a less formal setting, on the forum, say, you'd definitely have open ears for expanding content you might get directed away from live.

This personally sounds awesome regardless of the SKU bent, though obviously I'm rooting for my home team. Your study is pretty wide in scope, have you written anything addressing these topics before that has been translated? emot-dance

This is exciting, it totally makes me feel more legit as a fan. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top09-20-2013 03:12:29 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Yasha wrote:

Actually, now you have me thinking about like skype lectures or something like that... a video-essay would be a real treat to have on EM. Provided Adam or anyone else wants to do that, of course...

Do it! You should do a series, just so I can hear y'all gab.

Who doesn't love a good lecture series by enthusiastic people?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#12 | Back to Top09-20-2013 03:39:42 AM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Regarding a video recording, it is pretty easy to hook up a camera to a computer and stream using the various number of stream sites out there. Has the team considered this as a possibility, alongside the recording?

To be honest, my experience so far with streaming lectures is mediocre at best. Setting it up is the easy part, maintaining it is problematic. I did three lectures through streaming over the years, one I had to cancel mid-lecture because of internet connection problems, the other had the sound skip at various parts, and the third had one connection drop which took 10 minutes to resolve. Streaming is very prone to errors outside of your control, and it largely depends on the venue's connection and bandwidth at the time of the event (which might vary). Some venues don't even know what kind of connection they have; there are those that do, but they are usually expensive.

On the other hand, we will have a professional, two-camera HD recording of the thing, which is very nice. The trade-off is that the footage will only be available later.

Actually, now you have me thinking about like skype lectures or something like that... a video-essay would be a real treat to have on EM. Provided Adam or anyone else wants to do that, of course...

Consider this a test run, I have a number of things planned if it works out.

If you'd like to continue the content of the lecture in a less formal setting, on the forum, say, you'd definitely have open ears for expanding content you might get directed away from live.

That's actually a great idea. We can open a thread after the video is out and you can fire away. emot-smile

Your study is pretty wide in scope, have you written anything addressing these topics before that has been translated?

Not so far, I'm currently writing my first book in Hungarian and will probably do some sort of survey or something to see if there's enough interest for an English translation.

#13 | Back to Top09-21-2013 04:37:26 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

AdamDobay wrote:

Consider this a test run, I have a number of things planned if it works out.

You tease! school-devil

No, but seriously, now I want to know!

#14 | Back to Top09-21-2013 04:35:36 PM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Okay, I've got some updatings for you.

I now have exactly one person who's coming to both events for the Utena content (judging by the Miki reference in their e-mail address) so with your help we got to someone who is indeed coming! Thank you for making this possible! emot-dance

Now. I've also been trying out scenarios in my head about how to build the two events up so it satisfies the interests of everyone. And because of the overwhelming Utena hype that's started ( emot-biggrin ) I'll probably build it up like this:
Lecture: Basics, myth functions, Shinto and Buddhist influences, psychology influence, themes associated with childhood & adolescence, Totoro, Castle in the Sky, something else probably
Workshop part 1: Shounen functions and basics (wandering priest/warrior motif, male role shift), initial period (Ken, DB), settling down (Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo), deconstruction (Pokémon, Eva). Akira might also have to fit in here somewhere.
Workshop part 2: Shoujo functions and basics (magical girl motif, female role shift), initial period (Mahotsukai Sari), emancipation & integration (Sailor Moon), deconstruction (Esca, Utena)

This might still change in the actual topics discussed and the final titles that will get in (I might have to cut stuff due to time constraints), but however the final framework looks like, this way I can spend the last part of the workshop with Utena after laying down everything else. Also, Stephen, you have enough time to arrive from Southampton. Hmm?

Oh, this also confirms that Utena will be an integral part of the lectures so you can change "potential" up in the top.

You can also post the above on Tumblr if you like, you guys have many more SKU followers than me. emot-smile

You tease! :school-devil:
No, but seriously, now I want to know!

There are some technical details that I have to see if they are possible. I don't want to reveal before I make sure it's possible (or we'll all just go "aaww").

Last edited by AdamDobay (09-21-2013 04:36:43 PM)

#15 | Back to Top09-21-2013 07:27:36 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

AdamDobay wrote:

There are some technical details that I have to see if they are possible. I don't want to reveal before I make sure it's possible (or we'll all just go "aaww").

This is wise. You are a wise man.

[I WANT TO KNOW]

Ahem. I will reblog stuff and change stuff tomorrow, as I am taking a much-needed evening off after wrestling the gallery into recognizing that I turned maintenance mode off. http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/emotes/emot-suicide.gif

#16 | Back to Top09-22-2013 01:26:20 PM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Okay, thanks. I hope more people see this, as the events go out to a number of anime groups on Monday, and I imagine the rest of the spaces will fill up quickly.

#17 | Back to Top09-23-2013 01:41:31 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm working on the tumblr post as we speak! Or... write. Yeah. I should be done in 20 min.

If anyone can, please reblog so we get some good coverage?

Edit: Woot, tumblr post is here. I hope I hit all the high points!

#18 | Back to Top09-23-2013 10:04:01 AM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Yasha wrote:

Edit: Woot, tumblr post is here. I hope I hit all the high points!

Haha, nice, especially with the curry. Thanks. I might just change the lecture title to "Millionfold Phantom Elephants: Voyeurism and Early Beat-Pop in Utena".

#19 | Back to Top09-23-2013 02:45:28 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

*reblogged* Not like that matters, since I'm followed by exactly two people.

If someone doesn't tape this and put it on the internet, I will CRY. Just letting you know, Adam. So that'll be on your conscience. poptart

Last edited by Frau Eva (09-23-2013 02:46:14 PM)

Hat Mafia Member

#20 | Back to Top09-23-2013 02:52:48 PM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

*reblogged* Not like that matters, since I'm followed by exactly two people.

Every reblog counts!

If someone doesn't tape this and put it on the internet, I will CRY. Just letting you know, Adam. So that'll be on your conscience. poptart

Thank you. I will sleep lighter knowing that.

#21 | Back to Top09-23-2013 02:54:09 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

AdamDobay wrote:

Haha, nice, especially with the curry. Thanks. I might just change the lecture title to "Millionfold Phantom Elephants: Voyeurism and Early Beat-Pop in Utena".

This should be a real thing. emot-aaa

#22 | Back to Top09-23-2013 02:55:27 PM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Yasha wrote:

This should be a real thing. emot-aaa

Be careful. My other major was English. I can write a ten-page essay on ANYTHING.

#23 | Back to Top09-24-2013 01:40:50 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh no, buddy, YOU'D better be careful or I'll have to think up something challenging and Utena-ish for you to write an essay on! school-devil

Also, reblogged again. I hope I included enough info-- let me know if there's anything that should be added?

#24 | Back to Top09-24-2013 03:29:43 AM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Yasha wrote:

Oh no, buddy, YOU'D better be careful or I'll have to think up something challenging and Utena-ish for you to write an essay on! school-devil

Try me!

Also, reblogged again. I hope I included enough info-- let me know if there's anything that should be added?

It's great as it is. We now have 12 signups for the workshop with 2 people specifically coming for Utena, so we're all fine.

All right, I'm flying out soon so I don't know when I'll have internet again. Thanks to all of you here for helping out with this, I hope to see some of you there and I'll be definitely back after next week with news on how it all went down.

#25 | Back to Top10-09-2013 10:38:21 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I haven't thought of anything for an essay yet, because I keep wanting to hear more about serious stuff than about stuff that would be hard to write about!

Any updates?

Board footer