This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-04-2009 11:25:18 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

What is Yōji Enokido (榎戸洋司) saying in this 2008 TV interview?

Came upon these six clips on youtube showing Yōji Enokido talking about Utenia the movie. This TV interview seems quite new. Sadly, not being able to understand Japanese meant I wasn't able to fully grasp what everybody was saying. Well, actually I don't care what others were saying, I just want to understand Yōji Enokido.
So, is there anybody here who can translate this or at least provide a summary????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4A-9ltkdY

#2 | Back to Top01-05-2009 11:54:04 AM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Re: What is Yōji Enokido (榎戸洋司) saying in this 2008 TV interview?

But... WHERE THE F**K IS Ikuni-sama!? emot-mad

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#3 | Back to Top01-05-2009 04:44:31 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

榎戸洋司 pops up in the black jacket with the blue shaded glasses~
his first appearance in the first clip is at 2:22.

As for Ikuhara, sadly he is not present in the show (but even if he is I doubt he will provide us with a straight answer for anything).

Last edited by Itsuke (01-05-2009 06:22:09 PM)

#4 | Back to Top01-05-2009 11:31:55 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

I came across this talk show thing a few days ago and completely forgot about it. emot-tongue I'm glad you brought it up though, surely it is interesting.

I'm pleased that they have Enokido on, I feel like he languishes in the shadow of Ikuhara's charisma. Consider this... I bet you like Furi Kuri (FLCL, etc, etc). Do you like it better than the End of Evangelion (which was directed by the same guy)? I wager you do. Enokido wrote the screenplay for Furi Kuri.

And look at how CUTE he is...! etc-love

I would like to look at this in depth, but it's past my bedtime. Here's an overview of the first part. Brief statement about the movie, introduction of commentators, more thorough rundown of the plot and characters, introduction of Enokido, commentator statements of their experiences with SKU. That carries into the second video. Things seem to get more interesting. Host reads a letter from a viewer and there is a discussion praising SKU's art direction. The host presents a video of the moving blackboards and hallways and likens it to Harry Potter - without neglecting that the SKU movie predates it. (There may be some wiggle room there...) The hosts mention that there are no teachers or other adults in the school. They address Enokido about this and he responds, "We didn't have any interest [in them]."

Perfect.

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#5 | Back to Top01-06-2009 10:41:56 AM

pojypojy
Miki Molester
Website

Oooh, I admit I had never seen any of Be-Papas except Ikuhara (also because he popped up in my trading cards, lol). Enokido looks cool :-D

Since we are talking about translations, I wonder if anyone ever translated the text parts (interviews, I assume) from the Art of Utena artbook? Google isn't helping me here D: emot-aaa

And of course I'd love to hear more about this talk show. *tracks thread*

#6 | Back to Top01-06-2009 11:06:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

pojypojy wrote:

Oooh, I admit I had never seen any of Be-Papas except Ikuhara (also because he popped up in my trading cards, lol). Enokido looks cool :-D

Since we are talking about translations, I wonder if anyone ever translated the text parts (interviews, I assume) from the Art of Utena artbook? Google isn't helping me here D: emot-aaa

And of course I'd love to hear more about this talk show. *tracks thread*

Nope, no one ever has. I'd be interested in it to be sure, but honestly if I could have anything translated in full it'd be the two novels. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top03-03-2009 04:27:10 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

I didn't mean to go so long without coming back to this, and honestly I haven't worked on it in a while... emot-redface But I did learn some interesting things in the part that I got through which I want to share before I forget again.

The show is called BS Anime Night Talk and this episode is from 2005. The guest host of sorts is Toshio Okada, THE Otaking. (Though he seems to have abdicated between then and now.)

It's pretty obvious, but BePapas broke up after the movie was done. I'd never heard anyone come out and say it before, though.

FTW: Ikuhara and Enokido went to the same high school and were in the same year. emot-biggrin

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

Board footer