This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-22-2013 05:57:48 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Another little thing that bugs me

Alright, so Ohtori is supposed to be this humongous elite institution that only the top 1% can afford, right? So why do the Student Council members seem to be the only 'rich kids' on the campus? I can't see Wakaba, Mitsuru, or even the IKU trio to be from wealthy families.

#2 | Back to Top01-22-2013 07:38:54 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Another little thing that bugs me

Well, Wakaba does seem to be privileged enough to be able to live in an off-campus apartment. That can't be cheaper than living on campus. emot-keke;

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top01-23-2013 12:28:33 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Atropos wrote:

I can't see Wakaba, Mitsuru, or even the IKU trio to be from wealthy families.

What makes you think that? I'm just curious. The only person who has financial troubles in the series is Saionji and that could be for any reason.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top01-23-2013 12:29:45 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

off-campus apartment. That can't be cheaper than living on campus. emot-keke;

You'd be surprised.

#5 | Back to Top01-23-2013 01:03:29 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Dormitories are often much more expensive than off-campus housing, particularly at schools where dormitory housing is mandatory for some, such as first-year students.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#6 | Back to Top01-23-2013 01:13:04 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

The difference between the SC lot and the other students seem to be that of the SONY/SUBARU level high society v.s. the upper-middle class.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#7 | Back to Top01-23-2013 01:24:22 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

gorgeousshutin wrote:

The difference between the SC lot and the other students seem to be that of the SONY/SUBARU level high society v.s. the upper-middle class.

This is a very good point. "The rich" are not a homogenous group at all. There's a vast gulf between the people who live in the most expensive suburb of a large city and the ultra-rich who live lives so utterly alien to the experience of the rest of humanity that they may as well be considered to be a separate species.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#8 | Back to Top01-23-2013 01:39:17 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Maybe I'm going by U.S. standards, where a boarding school is something like 50k a year. Tsuwabuki has been attending Ohtori since preschool, for God's sake; who except the Carnegies and Rockefellers of the world would bother sending a child to an elite preschool?

What makes you think that? I'm just curious.

Their names are very commonplace; one of the signs of the SCs' aristocracy are their very prestigious names.

#9 | Back to Top01-23-2013 04:16:47 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

who except the Carnegies and Rockefellers of the world would bother sending a child to an elite preschool?

You'd be surprised. There's actually a lot of competition these days to get your kid into a high quality preschool. My brother has a son who was preschool aged a year ago and the mom was freaking out about getting her son into the "right" preschool. He ended up being rejected from her first choice (it filled up too quickly.) But she was showing me stuff about the preschool one day and it was pretty darn expensive. And they're not rich by any means.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#10 | Back to Top01-23-2013 04:26:49 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Atropos wrote:

Maybe I'm going by U.S. standards, where a boarding school is something like 50k a year. Tsuwabuki has been attending Ohtori since preschool, for God's sake; who except the Carnegies and Rockefellers of the world would bother sending a child to an elite preschool?

Asian minds plan ahead: elite preschool is in most cases prerequisite to elite elementary school, which in turn is prerequisite to elite high school, which in turn is prerequisite to elite Colleges/Universities, which is prerequisite to high paying jobs at elite companies/corporations; if a kid does not start early, it would be near impossible for them to cut into elite schooling at later stages (unless their grades are top of the top, which makes them rare).  Plus, kids sent to elite schools will have chances of befriending kids from wealthy families (see how the "regular students" of Ohtori suck up to the SC bunch), which can help even their own less-wealthy families out in many situations (and the long-term benefits can be astonishing).  Thus, many Asian parents who want their kids to become "successes" will resort to even borrowing money just so their kids get their elite schooling - it is an investment for a "better" future.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (01-23-2013 04:30:50 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#11 | Back to Top01-23-2013 05:04:02 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Seems like we can chalk this one up to cultural differences, then. Sorry, everybody.

#12 | Back to Top01-24-2013 04:38:04 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I don't know, I went to a preschool > elementary school > middle/high school > college > law school path a lot like that too, and I'm not asian. Most of the people in my classes weren't. I don't think a majority of American's send their children to high-priced schools of course... but several with the money to spend are glad to do so and, as pointed out, the competition is actually pretty high at every level in the process from preschool to grad school. If you want to compare it to Ohtori, which is probably passably fair as far as pricey boarding schools, there were some people who were very rich (we did have a Rockefeller, and Al Gore's son was in my class for a few years) while there were two or three others who had much less income and got in on various diversity initiatives or whatnot. Some people got in simply because they were very very bright. Others had financial assistance in varying measures. So you had a pretty broad group of people. Not everyone in my high school came from the corresponding elementary > middle schools, but a majority did.

In my own case, the whole thing sort of fell through when I left law school after a year and change. But I know a lot of my friends "succeeded" quite nicely just going from point a to b to c.

And then, as Nova/gorgeousshutin said, there's also a big difference between "rich" and rich. I forget where the exact cut off point was, but my family income puts me somewhere in the top 1 or 2% of american households. I'm no Paris Hilton though (much to my dismay). Not to say it hasn't made my life easier... not everyone get's to say "you know what? let's quit law school and do nursing. That sounds like more fun". I expect that choice will take me out of the top 1 or 2% though, once my parents are no longer contributing to family income.

Last edited by Valeli (01-24-2013 04:40:04 AM)

#13 | Back to Top01-24-2013 09:24:29 AM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Strange. You know, even though it's a boarding school I never thought of Ohtori as being a school for rich privileged kids. The teenagers don't really behave like rich teenagers (with the exception of the Student Council, who obviously all come from high-powered families or the aristocracy.) How the heck did Utena get in? Her parents are dead. She's smart but doesn't really seem smart enough for a scholarship (like Haruhi from Ouran) so I guess the only other option is that she had a rich relative.

#14 | Back to Top01-24-2013 09:54:56 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Honey Bear wrote:

Strange. You know, even though it's a boarding school I never thought of Ohtori as being a school for rich privileged kids. The teenagers don't really behave like rich teenagers (with the exception of the Student Council, who obviously all come from high-powered families or the aristocracy.) How the heck did Utena get in? Her parents are dead. She's smart but doesn't really seem smart enough for a scholarship (like Haruhi from Ouran) so I guess the only other option is that she had a rich relative.

Hmm . . . judging by the formal, western-style church funeral Utena's parents had, it looked like the Tenjous were upper-middle-class-ish.  The parents would also likely have life insurance and such benefiting their child, resulting in some kinda fund that is either looked after by a relative or a lawyer in SKU TV's timeline.  I'm pretty sure Utena is in Ohtori cause she's well paid for.

Either that, or Akio, who prepared rose motif coffins for the Tenjous - thus showing his magical influence on them since that early on - did significant enchanting/ string-pulling behind the scenes so that even penniless, Utena would be sent to Ohtori to study as per his (and Anthy's) will.

#15 | Back to Top01-24-2013 10:01:35 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Basketball scholarship.

Duh.

#16 | Back to Top01-24-2013 10:26:05 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

KaleMarsh wrote:

Basketball scholarship.

Duh.

Does such a thing exist in Japan, and at the high school level?

#17 | Back to Top01-24-2013 10:58:03 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

I'm guessing not, as I doubt High School Basketball is very high grossing.

Utena refuses to join the baseketball team anyway, so I doubt that would fly.

I do think you're supposed to ask how Utena is enrolled in Ohtori.  There's the rose seal everywhere, which I imagine would draw her to the school, but I think the obvious wealth everywhere is supposed to make you wonder how she pays for it or how she made it through any entrance hurdles.  Wakaba does mention that Utena usually finds mathematics easy, despite her difficulty with the exam in episode 4.  I don't think it's out of the question that she's smart enough to get in if there are entrance exams.  I also don't think it's out of the question that a wealthy relative paid her entry or that her accounts are managed for her, and she's allowed to use it for schooling.  Both of these things are convenient and part of what makes her special.  They're either influenced by Akio or reasons Akio/Dios chose her.

But Utena is special.  She did make it into the school because she belongs with the elite, even if she isn't on the Student Council.

Last edited by KaleMarsh (01-24-2013 10:59:50 AM)

#18 | Back to Top01-24-2013 11:29:21 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

KaleMarsh wrote:

I do think you're supposed to ask how Utena is enrolled in Ohtori.

My own theory on this upthread:

Hmm . . . judging by the formal, western-style church funeral Utena's parents had, it looked like the Tenjous were upper-middle-class-ish.  The parents would also likely have life insurance and such benefiting their child, resulting in some kinda fund that is either looked after by a relative or a lawyer in SKU TV's timeline.  I'm pretty sure Utena is in Ohtori cause she's well paid for.

Either that, or Akio, who prepared rose motif coffins for the Tenjous - thus showing his magical influence on them since that early on - did significant enchanting/ string-pulling behind the scenes so that even penniless, Utena would be sent to Ohtori to study as per his (and Anthy's) will.

#19 | Back to Top01-24-2013 11:58:26 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Well, it doesn't have to be magical. emot-biggrin

#20 | Back to Top01-24-2013 12:27:22 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Well, it doesn't have to be magical. emot-biggrin

A non-magical approach, huh . . .

Time: 6 years before SKU TV
Place: Funeral Home

Akio (amidst passionate "footrubbing"): Funeral Director-san, I'm sure it'd be no trouble for you to convince the Tenjou clan to pick these Ohtori-designed rose coffins for the deceased couple.  I will, of course, personally pay for that extra one I want present at that church . . .

Funeral Director:  Anything you say - you're my only prince etc-love

Later, at the church . . .

Parish Priest:  Why are there 3 coffins here when only 2 people died?  This doesn't make sense . . .

Akio (sauntering up as 12-yr old Dios):  Doesn't it, Father?

Parish Priest: etc-love

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (01-24-2013 02:06:47 PM)

#21 | Back to Top01-24-2013 12:40:54 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

*feels bad for laughing*

#22 | Back to Top01-24-2013 12:46:10 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

*feels bad for laughing*

Not as bad as I feel like writing it, since I do know a lot of nice priests genuinely devoted to doing good for people in need.

But, the evil ones will always cum shining through to headline grabbing effects emot-redface

#23 | Back to Top01-24-2013 05:46:36 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Her parents could have been alumni; it would explain the rose seal on their coffins.

#24 | Back to Top01-24-2013 06:53:57 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Atropos wrote:

Her parents could have been alumni; it would explain the rose seal on their coffins.

Ah . . . this theory again:
http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sim_memroy/null/000/085/909/85/original.jpg
Yes, the fat gent's hair color is a visual clue emot-wink

#25 | Back to Top01-24-2013 07:04:21 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Yes, the fat gent's hair color is a visual clue emot-wink

It's a shame his skin color isn't a bit lighter, or I could fanwank that he's Utena's and Akio's time-traveling son. xP

Board footer