This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-04-2013 06:14:23 PM

Dafne
Miki Molester

Kanashimi no Belladona

So, I tried looking for this and nothing, nonetheless let me know if there's already a topic for this one:

http://1.fwcdn.pl/po/89/76/128976/7425646.5.jpg

Has anyone seen this movie? Kanashimi no Belladona, Belladona of Sadness, Tragedy of Belladona, it's from the 70's, I just recently watched it, right after I learned that Ikuhara took inspiration from it in order to make Utena.

Anyway, the plot is basically this:

Jeanne and Jean are getting married but their marriage tax it for some reason to high so a noble gets to have his way with Jeanne, and everything goes downhill from there (sorry I know this summary sucks...). Personally I found this movie really...weird, honestly if I thought Utena was weird this thing makes it get a run for its money, but beautiful nonetheless, and if the title wasn't enough yes the end it's very tragic.

So I wanted to hear your thought about this, as a warning the visuals are very weird but emotional and there is rape in there, so watch carefully.

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/200H/f/2012/073/3/c/puella_magi_madoka_magica_signature_homura_akemi_by_blueangel06661-d4srws8.png

#2 | Back to Top06-04-2013 08:34:40 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: Kanashimi no Belladona

Dafne wrote:

Jeanne and Jean are getting married but their marriage tax it for some reason to high so a noble gets to have his way with Jeanne, and everything goes downhill from there (sorry I know this summary sucks...).

No, it makes perfect sense actually.

Droit du seigneur was a common theme in literature, but there's some doubt about whether it actually happened or not.

From Wikipedia:  Droit du seigneur was a putative legal right allowing the lord of a medieval estate to take the virginity of his serfs' maiden daughters.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#3 | Back to Top08-10-2013 05:07:37 AM

Noktoartifice
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: Kanashimi no Belladona

I saw it, and I actually found it frightening. The visuals are somewhat fluid, and they remind me of Gustav Klimt paintings. The ending was extremely satisfying in an odd way.

It does resemble Utena in some ways. I sort of can't believe that Osamu Tezuka was involved with it. But I should, considering MW is my favourite manga by him.

Apparently you're looking down here in the hope of finding something amusing. No such item can be found. Get Lost.

Board footer