This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-03-2007 12:08:34 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Computer Fixes

I know at least one other member of the forums is trained in computer hardware replacements, removals, and troubleshooting, and there are a bunch of us who know tips and tricks to deal with the damn computer problems that make our babies work funny from time to time. I'm offering my services here as a troubleshooter and minor software fixer.

If you have a problem with your computer, post here and I will try my best to help you. Some other forum members may help as well-- haven't consulted any. But if I can save you a trip to the shop with your beast, I will.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#2 | Back to Top12-03-2007 06:44:57 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Re: Computer Fixes

Yasha wrote:

If you have a problem with your computer, post here and I will try my best to help you. Some other forum members may help as well-- haven't consulted any.

I can probably convince Paradox to help.  He's more on the software side of things, as a programmer, but he's got plenty of experience with hardware issue management as well.

#3 | Back to Top12-03-2007 10:00:09 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I suppose it's relevant to post my thanks here for helping me with solving the router issues. etc-love

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#4 | Back to Top01-03-2008 02:36:59 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Say, does anybody know how to remove a particular password/login thingy from Firefox's cache? My roommate's drunkass cousin logged in to UMKC's e-mail from this computer and told it to remember him, and telling it to remember me instead doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. It's an owa thing if that makes any difference.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top01-03-2008 06:17:01 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

As I don't use that to save passwords (turned it off immediately upon installing), I can't test this.  However, you might want to check
Tools-->Options-->Security, then click on Show Passwords.  It seems you can remove some or all from your list, that should fix your problem, I would think.

#6 | Back to Top01-03-2008 11:15:55 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Perfect! Thanks, Cerise.etc-love

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#7 | Back to Top05-20-2008 06:46:01 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

NECRO!

Sometime before the end of the month, I should be receiving a legit, non-OEM, non-academic version of Windows XP Professional. It's the Upgrade version, not the full install.

Why? Because I'm running Windows 2000 which hates Electronic Arts games(Sims, Alice, and Black and White.), and some of my parts aren't Vista-ready. Thus, I'm upgrading to XP.

So my question is, "What do I need to know before I start the upgrade process?" I mean, besides make a backup of everything. In the event I screw this up, I have a copy of Windows 2000 to reinstall just in case.

Sorry that the question is kinda general, but I just want to cover all of my bases before I start. I've already poked around on other websites and they act like doing a 2000-to-XP upgrade is incredibly easy and/or hassle-free, but I'm reserving judgment until after I do it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#8 | Back to Top05-20-2008 06:52:02 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Oooh, 2000 to XP. What can I say...

Be prepared for a zillion and 9000+ automatic updates when you first install XP. Also expect to upgrade to Service Pack 2, then Service Pack 3 (if the disc doesn't already come with that stuff). Be sure to check your antivirus software and make sure it's up to date. Back up every single piece of personal data (a 4 gig flash memory drive works wonders for this) and make sure your favorites list, address book, whatever, are all archived somewhere so you can put everything back in if XP's install wipes it (it does that occasionally).

If you need more help, ask around on the forums. I just got done wiping my computer and reinstalling XP, so...I hope I've been of help! emot-keke

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#9 | Back to Top05-21-2008 05:42:28 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

BioKraze wrote:

Be prepared for a zillion and 9000+ automatic updates when you first install XP. Also expect to upgrade to Service Pack 2, then Service Pack 3 (if the disc doesn't already come with that stuff).! emot-keke

Well, I'm ordering it directly from Microsoft (They actually had the best deal, believe it or not. $145) so I should be getting XP Pro with Service Pack 2. The most I'll probably have to sit through is installing Service Pack 3.

Be sure to check your antivirus software and make sure it's up to date. Back up every single piece of personal data (a 4 gig flash memory drive works wonders for this) and make sure your favorites list, address book, whatever, are all archived somewhere so you can put everything back in if XP's install wipes it (it does that occasionally).

Well, I'm using AVG's free edition at the moment. It likes to update everyday. I don't argue with it.

As for the Flash Drive... I might need a bigger one than 4 gigs.... I'll have to shop around. I have a few programs that don't have the original installation CDs for various and assorted reasons.

Danke! emot-smile

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (05-21-2008 05:56:00 PM)

#10 | Back to Top05-22-2008 09:45:25 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

BACK UP YOUR DRIVERS.

I had to buy a new sound card once because I didn't have a copy of the driver for my old one and it was NOWHERE on the net. If you don't know how to back up your drivers, there's some information here.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#11 | Back to Top05-24-2008 08:41:32 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Okay, note to self: back up drivers. Got it.

My package finally showed up in the mail today, so I'll be working on that tomorrow, hopefully.

#12 | Back to Top07-18-2008 06:44:32 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Got worms? (The Email address book kind, I mean. Not the other kind, you sickos. emot-tongue )

There's a ready fix if you're using pretty much any Email software!

Prepare a new entry, and make sure the contact's name is !000. First name is fine unless it insists on last names first. This will prioritise it on any alphanumeric list, so that it comes first.

As for the address, simply put down WormAlert without anything else. Since it's a dummy address, the worm will fail when it reads the first address in the book (which will be this one, of course).

It's guaranteed to work for Windows systems of all varieties, but not so sure with Macs and *nix systems (Unix, Linux, etc.)...

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#13 | Back to Top07-18-2008 09:52:41 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

My right arrow key doesn't work. At all

HALP

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#14 | Back to Top07-19-2008 05:05:41 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

AnjitheArtist wrote:

First, scratch around it with a needle or toothpick, or something - there may be some gunk under it. If this doesn't work, there are two options: open the entire keyboard and pray that you don't accidentally drop the keys all over the place while you clean the underside, or buy another keyboard. Since they come around $20, I would recommend the latter, unless you got some super-duper ultra-expensive gamer keyboard.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#15 | Back to Top07-19-2008 08:31:22 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Lightice wrote:

AnjitheArtist wrote:

First, scratch around it with a needle or toothpick, or something - there may be some gunk under it. If this doesn't work, there are two options: open the entire keyboard and pray that you don't accidentally drop the keys all over the place while you clean the underside, or buy another keyboard. Since they come around $20, I would recommend the latter, unless you got some super-duper ultra-expensive gamer keyboard.

it's a laptop emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#16 | Back to Top07-20-2008 05:54:38 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

AnjitheArtist wrote:

it's a laptop emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

OK, that's going to be troublesome. It requires a lot of work to get most laptops properly opened, and often it voids the warranty. For an emergency solution, you could get a separate keyboard anyway, but unless you want to do a lot of annoying work with small parts, and possibility of dropping the keys all over the place, I'd recommend a professional help for that one. That is, unless the attempts to scratch under the key with a toothpick prove unfruitful. That's solved 90% of my keyboard troubles.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#17 | Back to Top01-30-2009 12:22:21 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I have a used tablet, no instructions, no branding, and I have no idea how to get it to work.

Also, why does my Win98 disc stall when I ask it to remove my partitions? I need to install that so I can upgrade to XP so I can play my games online with ,y boyfriend.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#18 | Back to Top01-30-2009 06:57:03 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

My computer reboots everytime i try to load a video from megavideo, or turn the sims2 on. Sometimes it reboots just because but mostly when i'm trying to load videos.

#19 | Back to Top01-31-2009 06:55:52 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Epi_lepsia wrote:

My computer reboots everytime i try to load a video from megavideo, or turn the sims2 on. Sometimes it reboots just because but mostly when i'm trying to load videos.

I had some rebooting problems awhile back that were caused by the Windows Service Pack 3 in relation to some drivers or codecs on my machine. Everything worked out once I uninstalled the Service Pack and then reinstalled it. It's worth a shot. Also, you might want to upgrade the drivers of your video card. By the sound of it there is a driver conflict somewhere on the line.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#20 | Back to Top10-16-2010 09:15:48 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

As much as I once prided myself on being able to troubleshoot and fix my own computers, the reality has set in that I've been abandoned in the storm a couple of eras ago.

Anyway, here's my question: The monitor to my mom's desktop is getting ready to die on us, having showed serious symptoms only a few hours ago. I can easily swap out the terminally ill monitor with the monitor to MY desktop with no hiccups or the like.

Problem is, the video cable for said monitor is built into the thing (not sure if this is a new-ish trend or not with monitors), and the cable is about two inches short, or about a foot short for really good placement. I'm unable to move the console itself, and I can't move the monitor because there's a laptop sitting in its way, a laptop I normally switch on or off at a moment's notice.

TL;DR, I need to find a way to extend the reach of the monitor's video cable by about 12 inches. Is there such a thing as an extension cable for monitors, and if so, where would be the best places to buy one?

On that note, considering said desktop is several years old, would it be much easier to simply buy a new monitor?

Any assistance, of course, will be greatly appreciated. emot-keke

#21 | Back to Top10-16-2010 11:07:11 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm pretty sure they have extension cables at Radioshack. emot-smile If not, you can certainly buy it online; just make sure you're getting the right plugs on it. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#22 | Back to Top10-17-2010 04:07:57 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I've never heard of a monitor with an in-built cable - must be either quite rare model or very old. Considering that you can get a 19" screen well under $200 - maybe closer to $100 actually, haven't checked in a couple of years - you might want to consider simply getting a new one, as well.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#23 | Back to Top10-17-2010 11:07:48 PM

Ashleigh
New Student

my laptop acts the different way. when i delete something, its expected that the memory in the local disk will increase,right?. but in the case of our laptop, the more i delete, the memory decreases.. emot-frown
what's happening?! can anyone help me? i need the answers asap.- thnx in advance

#24 | Back to Top10-18-2010 10:03:47 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

@ BioKraze
Do not under any circumstances buy a cable a radio shack. At least a 50% markup. You need this http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2N025-10- … B00000JDF8
Yes I have seen these with cables attached though it's quite rare.
@Ashleigh
What OS? Sounds like a virus or File system corruption.

#25 | Back to Top10-19-2010 01:21:30 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Ashleigh wrote:

my laptop acts the different way. when i delete something, its expected that the memory in the local disk will increase,right?. but in the case of our laptop, the more i delete, the memory decreases.. emot-frown
what's happening?! can anyone help me? i need the answers asap.- thnx in advance

To be honest, hon, I have no freakin idea what that would be without more info. What OS? When did this start? Have you received any error messages? Is your computer running slowly or popping up garbage at you?

Easy fix, burn your important files to disc and reinstall your operating system. I OSRI at the drop of a hat, though, most people don't like doing that.

Board footer