This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top02-23-2012 01:29:02 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Re: Absolute Destiny Sburb

Yeah, just re-read and got what you were confused at and yes. Likely speaking of the Derse Dreamers. Yet again, only Courtyard Droll succeeded at his mission. Ha!

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#77 | Back to Top02-26-2012 06:26:28 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Double post time: Dante Basco is reading Homestuck.

No, really. RUFIOOOOOOOOOO is reading Homestuck. His reaction so far is basically what is this, I don't even.

I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#78 | Back to Top02-28-2012 11:53:13 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Anthiena wrote:

Double post time: Dante Basco is reading Homestuck.

No, really. RUFIOOOOOOOOOO is reading Homestuck. His reaction so far is basically what is this, I don't even.

... That is so whacked Dante Basco, the guy who voiced Zuko? I... wow...

I'm now imagining Zuko reading Homestuck.

On a plot-related note, seeing another girl looking like Feferi. What is going on, Hussie? :U

#79 | Back to Top02-29-2012 12:09:20 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

That ain't Fef.  Doesn't look like the Condesce as a child, either.  So this is indeed a troll from the first troll session, most likely the troll who is to the Condesce what John is to Jane's grandfather.  I guess it was inevitable that we'd see more of that session.  Hope they're on our side!!

Edited to correct "Jade" to "Jane."  Aaargh!

Last edited by satyreyes (02-29-2012 01:10:15 AM)

#80 | Back to Top02-29-2012 01:08:52 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

satyreyes wrote:

That ain't Fef.  Doesn't look like the Condesce as a child, either.  So this is indeed a troll from the first troll session, most likely the troll who is to the Condesce what John is to Jade's grandfather.  I guess it was inevitable that we'd see more of that session.  Hope they're on our side!!

You're right. I was thinking... it's very likely that the first session trolls, after their scratch, had broken their 4th wall by now.
In that case, I feel that they would be on our side. According to Doc Scratch, the first session trolls were peaceful and nice folks comparing to the abrasive and violent ones we've seen, particularly of Karkat.

#81 | Back to Top02-29-2012 11:46:40 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

AHHH IT'S HER BROTHER!

UU said she had a brother!  I wondered what tag he could possibly have.  Turns out it's... UU.  emot-biggrin

The first UU, uranianUmbra, types in lowercase except for U's.  Her brother, undyingUmbrage, types in uPPERCASE EXCEPT FOR u'S.  This reminds me more than a little bit of Gamzee's alternating lowercase and uppercase lines, now literally split into two individuals.  That could be coincidence, but if he is somehow involved with the UUs, maybe we will finally understand why he is the most important character in Homestuck.  emot-smile

#82 | Back to Top03-01-2012 12:13:47 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

On top of that, this guy is "jeering" instead of "cheering". I wonder how he would cooperate with the rest of the kids with his "sister" adoring them.

Maybe his way of idolizing the kids is to be jerks? :U

#83 | Back to Top03-01-2012 12:16:40 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I don't think he idolizes them.  In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that uu and UU are the same individual manifesting two opposite personalities. emot-smile

#84 | Back to Top03-01-2012 08:16:02 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hmm... looking at the latest update just now... not really sure if the schizophrenic theory stands...

uu reminds me of Karkat... being absolutely annoyed by the kids' existence. I have a feeling that if UU doesn't fancraze over them that much, he'll probably like them, too. :U

#85 | Back to Top03-01-2012 01:17:32 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Maybe so emot-smile  But I think the schizophrenic theory actually just got stronger.  uu keeps telling UU to stop sending him stuff about the kids, but he keeps finding another goddamn wall of text on his terminal.  One likely explanation is that they are the same troll and they have the same terminal.  Naturally, the last thing UU was looking at is still on the terminal when uu emerges and looks at it.

A friend of mine theorizes that uu/UU killed the twelve alpha trolls, on the basis that the Calmasis character in Roxy's mom's Complacency of the Learned novels kills all twelve of the kid wizards.  I'm not sure how that can be true if the alpha trolls scratched their session, but it's intriguing.

#86 | Back to Top03-01-2012 01:44:03 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

It's very likely that they were killed, actually :U

Assuming that the two trolls we see are indeed the alpha trolls, you'll also notice that both of them have white eyes instead of the typical yellow with grey pupils. So, they are dead :U

And... with the fact that uu was going on about how he's gonna play a game of LET'S KILL ALL OF YOU, I wouldn't be surprised if he and/or UU puzzlemurdered the alpha trolls. Looks like Dirk is the only one who's survived the puzzlemurder schemes so far. Good on him. Let's hope he lasts.

Last edited by Hiraku (03-01-2012 01:44:20 PM)

#87 | Back to Top03-01-2012 02:04:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The white eyes could mean that they're dead.  That's always what it's meant before.  But I'm having trouble reconciling that with Doc Scratch (who doesn't lie) saying that the alpha trolls scratched their session.  Scratching is supposed to mean that your universe and everyone in it cease to exist; the original kids escaped by not technically being in their universe at the time.  Did the alpha trolls do something similar, and later die?

#88 | Back to Top03-01-2012 03:10:06 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

They probably had... or... maybe they had their version of "Feferi", who appealed to the Deep Ones to create dream bubble that would allow the dead to... exist in some shape or form.

#89 | Back to Top03-04-2012 02:36:39 PM

7scimitarroll
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

More possibilities:
UU and uu are two different trolls, assuming UU wasn't lying when she said they don't have the same blood color. (UU's blood probably falls between Sollux and Nepeta, while uu stays mutant red.)
The dead trolls we've seen so far aren't actually the pre-Scratch Ancestors. They might represent a third Troll universe, distinct from the one the Sufferer dreamed of and the one Karkat grew up in, but with the pre-Scratch Ancestors as players once again. This may or may not be the universe of UU and uu. Of course, my brother would like to point out that such a proliferation of universes is silly, and we may have evidence (via FedoraFreak) of two sessions running off of the same planet at the same time (thus making UU and uu possible contemporaries of Karkat).
The Dream Bubbles, because they're located within the Furthest Ring, could easily be the same ones that Feferi convinced the Horrorterrors to make. The Furthest Ring exists beyond defined space and time. The dead trolls could be from any universe or any timeline, be it pre-Troll-Scratch or post-(TrollScratch & HumanScratch) sessions.
This assumes that, as far as the Bubbles are concerned, death through getting caught in the Scratch still gets admission. Even if it doesn't, they (or versions thereof) could have died before their session was scratched.

I like examining possibilities. A slight irritant about Homestuck is that the in-universe rules allow almost every possible theory to be true, just somewhere off-screen.
I hope I don't come across as trolling.

Last edited by 7scimitarroll (03-04-2012 02:41:22 PM)

#90 | Back to Top03-04-2012 04:08:10 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Trolling?  Don't be silly!  You're trolling only insofar as you're talking about trolls.  emot-wink  Those are great theories -- though you're right that sometimes Homestuck provides infuriatingly scant means of hypothesis testing.  I can conceive of objections -- can UU and uu be Karkat's contemporaries when they seem to live on post-Reckoning Alternia without ever having entered their session? -- but the answer is "maybe," just as the answer to my friend's hypothesis that Roxy and Dirk are living decades after Jane and Jake is "maybe."  emot-mad

#91 | Back to Top03-04-2012 06:24:26 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

oh man.....
The idea that Roxy and Dirk live on a different time from Jake and Jane is... potentially possible.

I like the idea that all this are happening at the "same planet at the same time". That could potentially explain why Nana knows what a computer is aside from the fact that she's a sprite and probably has seen it all from beyond the grave. She also "remembered" John to also be her "grandfather".

So far, we've seen Jake and Roxy sending stuff back to their grandmother and mother, respectively, believing that they are actually sending it back in time. The concept of time/space is, like Doctor Who once said, very timey-wimey. :U

EDIT: Wait... I just remembered that Jake had posters of modern blue ladies from various modern movies... I think I'm confusing myself now.

Last edited by Hiraku (03-04-2012 06:25:30 PM)

#92 | Back to Top03-05-2012 08:32:57 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

While that is an interesting theory, I think it highly unlikely. For one, both of the SBURB/SGRUB sessions that took place in the same timeframe. While what is going on at different points may not be, the kids are definitely on the same timeframe.

#93 | Back to Top03-08-2012 10:04:52 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

On that note, though, it would seem that not only was the Condesce able to remain alive for so long (Ship moving super fast, so that would explain it), she was also able to pass from Beta to the Alpha timeline.

Looks like she plays a much bigger role than just being a backstory. And, I'll never look at another Betty Crocker brand stuff in the grocery store the same way ever again.

#94 | Back to Top03-08-2012 11:03:24 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

I am eating my words. So much. Not likely turned out to be exactly the case. They are in different times. Wow.

#95 | Back to Top03-08-2012 02:16:24 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Right, see, so the point was that something can be unlikely and still possible.  Hussie just keeps us guessing.  emot-rofl

I didn't understand all of it.  Did Jane enter the Medium?  I didn't see her do anything with her tree, but there's a hole where her house should be, so... yes?  But she didn't prototype her Kernelsprite first, which is supposed to make the game unwinnable.  Bad news!  emot-gonk

#96 | Back to Top03-08-2012 07:22:42 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Right, see, so the point was that something can be unlikely and still possible.  Hussie just keeps us guessing.  emot-rofl

I didn't understand all of it.  Did Jane enter the Medium?  I didn't see her do anything with her tree, but there's a hole where her house should be, so... yes?  But she didn't prototype her Kernelsprite first, which is supposed to make the game unwinnable.  Bad news!  emot-gonk

I hate GCat so much... I really do.

In Beta timeline, you've got Vriska making John falling asleep. In Alpha timeline, you've got GCat who apparently does things for the lulz... or is it..... if he didn't accidentally kill Jasper, Rose wouldn't have her Jaspersprite.

What "higher purpose", if any, does the GCat carry?

In other note... that video... the earth is slowly turning into a giant chessboard.... What if, assuming time is being all Timey-Wimey, Skaia is actually Alpha Earth? :U

Last edited by Hiraku (03-08-2012 07:29:19 PM)

#97 | Back to Top03-08-2012 08:39:49 PM

7scimitarroll
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Remember, this session's Prospit and Derse don't have any prototyping spires. The BQ's ring and WK's scepter both lack orbs. I think it's safe to say that the Alpha Session won't have any pre-entry prototyping. However, Jade's bringing the Beta session's fully prototyped battlefield, along with four planets and possibly a genesis tadpole. That may be enough.

I think Jane entered the Medium. Her house almost certainly did, and she's already awake on Prospit, so she has a pretty good chance of survival. I'm a bit more worried about Jake. His island, plus what would-have-been the Forge, was still in place post-Condescension.

Regarding The Condesce: I think she's immortal unless slain even without the relativistic effects of space travel—assuming relativity is still a thing. If nothing else, she's now the emissary of Lord English. I'm still curious about how she got to Earth. Perhaps via a fenestrated wall? I forget what Doc Scratch had and what they linked to.

I think the checkerboard-like appearance was just in Roxy's area. Perhaps it was colonized by Exiles?

Last edited by 7scimitarroll (03-08-2012 09:07:58 PM)

#98 | Back to Top03-08-2012 09:32:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

7scimitarroll wrote:

Remember, this session's Prospit and Derse don't have any prototyping spires. The BQ's ring and WK's scepter both lack orbs. I think it's safe to say that the Alpha Session won't have any pre-entry prototyping. However, Jade's bringing the Beta session's fully prototyped battlefield, along with four planets and possibly a genesis tadpole. That may be enough.

Very good point -- and also, I think, a partial answer to your worries about Jake.  We don't need a frog temple in this session, since Jade is arriving with one.  What happens to the man himself I don't know.  I am not worried at all about Jane's survival.  She is the Maid of Life; from what we've seen of her, nothing can kill her.  emot-biggrin

Regarding The Condesce: I think she's immortal unless slain even without the relativistic effects of space travel—assuming relativity is still a thing. If nothing else, she's now the emissary of Lord English. I'm still curious about how she got to Earth. Perhaps via a fenestrated wall? I forget what Doc Scratch had and what they linked to.

This is entirely possible.  I think the Condesce could have gone through Scratch's Fifth Wall to Hussie's studio, and thence through his Fourth Wall into Jane's session.  The idea makes me a little uncomfortable, though; it seems to break Hussie's rule about limiting his interference to the span of three feet.  In any case, I don't have much trouble buying that a pangalactic time-traveling demon can arrange for his minion to enter a universe pretty much wherever he wants.  (Here, again, we run into the problem of nothing being impossible!)

#99 | Back to Top03-08-2012 10:21:05 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

We still don't know how HIC got to Beta Earth, either so it may be that there was always something special about her ship. Plus, there is always the void, man. Time and space break down there. (Are the horrorterrors singularity?)

#100 | Back to Top03-09-2012 06:37:06 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Looks at Act 6 Intermission 2.

Looks at--- Who the-- Please don't tell me that it's been HIM who's talking to the kids all these times! :U

Or maybe this is like when he's merely masquerading as Lord English, hmmmmmm...

Board footer