This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-10-2012 07:23:27 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

[review Revolutionary girl utena: the movie

This movie trade's off complex characters & well written relationships for higher production values & shallow characters.
There I sum up the movie
This movie is a pretentious experience, while it a gorgeous movie to look at but it plot lack identity, the movie require the viewers to have watch the 39 episode anime like any other movie adaption but it a completely different continuity from the TV series so it going to Confuse(and anger) fans as well as non fans preventing the movie from standing on it own so both groups of people are unhappy.

Then there bastardizing Akio ohtori into a shell of his former self, he's not like his TV series counterpart, here the summery of both of them:
TV series Akio:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltk7y7HKx01r0sdooo2_250.gif
Badass and the uber pimp

Movie Akio:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0bfmfZzzB1r2mnx7o1_400.gif
Too fabulous & wimpy, really shitty character in comparison to the tv series imagine if they did to Ganondorf that would be ruining his character 
So fuck you Kunihiko Ikuhara for ruining his character in this movie!

The characters them self are shallow versions of their TV counterparts that all I should say
The symbolism is't as open to alternative interpretation as you would expect, most of it is just there for showing off what they can do with this large animation budget.

Another thing that ruined this is that they dumb down Utena and Anthy's relationship, while it confirmed that they are in love, the problem was that it was't as emotional as it was in the TV series, you probably cried during scene like Utena stopping Anthy attempted sucide and Utena watching Anthy getting impaled by the swords of hate with utena screaming Himemiya in despair while missing links is playing. the movie does't have that so it does't make it as interest to watch through.

The movie is shallow and mediocre compared to the tv series
I rated 3 stars out of 5 since the high production values made up for the mediocre plotline

Last edited by Rosesareawesome101 (12-10-2012 11:33:18 AM)

#2 | Back to Top12-10-2012 08:21:00 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Re: [review Revolutionary girl utena: the movie

Ouch!
I'll admit I'm not a fan of the movie myself, though. I don't think I can give a great response to this without rewatching the movie, but I don't really feel like doing that because, as said, I'm not a huge fan. I don't remember every bit of the movie well enough... I didn't like the car thing at the end at all. It just didn't work for me. I feel kind of bad watching it too because I like long-haired Utena better... and I can't help it. But every time I think about that I realize that 'm thinking about something which isn't important or relevant at all. Which makes me feel like an awful person. Maybe that's why I don't like the movie ~.~ (but I hope not). It's obviously an intentional artistic decision, and I can get several reasons why it might have been done.

Am I sexist if I can get on board with the idea of a long haired girl trying to be a prince, but find the idea of a short haired girl trying to be a prince somehow grating? There's degrees here, obviously. I'm certainly not running around trying to get women paid 50% less for equal work, or trying to convince my city council that they don't deserve the right to vote, or anything over like that. And I definitely don't actually have anything against girls with short hair styles, even if that's not how I'd wear my own hair were I a girl. How you want to wear your hair is none of my business in the first place. I don't think I'm sexist... and I certainly don't want to be. I just end up feeling really guilty about this. I wonder why it's a big deal for me.... I honestly think it has more to do with the hair than anything gender-related though. I'd be equally upset if the series did something to Akio physically/externally, while trying to have him be the same character mentally. Which implies that I found the long haired look to be more princely somehow, however counter-intuitive that is. Since, obviously, a prince would have had shorter hair. I think a more legit claim is that her longer hair has a more regal look, although it's awkward because it looks princessy rather than princey. And it's the regal look that I felt fit her, and this vanished when they clipped her hair and gave her that black and white beret.

Or maybe that's just a story I tell myself to try and pretend I'm not awful. At any rate, I don't think the above point has /too/ much bearing on the film's merits. It's just a personal hang up of mine.

The characters them self are shallow versions of their TV counterparts

To be fair, the series has (and in some cases takes) a very long time to develop the characters.

Some of the movie parts were very well done though. I loved the Escherish dance scene. That's partly a result of having a higher budget, as you say, but there's nothing wrong with using a higher budget to put together great scenes like that. I remember there were a few other scenes I liked as well, and I recall they did some interesting charachter stuff in at least a few cases (not just damagin stuff as you claim), but again, I'd have to go and rewatch it to really remember those. Hopefully someone whose seen this more recently (or has a better memory) can talk about them.

Last edited by Valeli (12-10-2012 11:06:38 AM)

#3 | Back to Top12-10-2012 08:46:34 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I started to write a second draft of a long impassioned response to both posts here so far, but instead, I shall go "Tou!" and do a fancy butt-slide over the hood of this thread until I see where it's going.

(If I don't return to this thread, it's okeh, I wasn't real anyway. And pssst! I'm buried under the scandalous roses.)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top12-10-2012 10:30:06 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Can someone make 2 different gif please:
1. TV series Akio on hood of his 57 corvette doing what he usually does
2. Movie Akio fabulously flipping over the hood of his
That would be much better then using stock quotes from the voice page.   
In fact I want someone to replicate these scenes as emoticons.

#5 | Back to Top12-10-2012 11:11:55 AM

Elin I.
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Rosesareawesome, check tumblr for .gifs (I keep typing ".gifts" ... I guess those would be gifs you make for someone emot-keke). I'm sure I've seen one with movie Akio's "tou!" car-flip, at least, and given that tumblr has ALL THE .GIFS, there's got to be one of series Akio's car-flip too.

I disagree with you about the movie, but (1) I wasn't really an Akio fan to begin with, (2) I AM a fan of Anthy, Utena and Anthy/Utena emot-keke, and (3) granted, I didn't like the movie much at first either. I don't mean that as some kind of condescending "~Oh, you just haven't learned to appreciate it yet~" bullshit either, just that I do see what's not to like about it. It grew on me, but it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Tell me no more stories and I'll tell you no lies / No-one wants to hurt me but everybody tries / And if you think that I've been waiting for my planets to align / It's time you go on, get your things, get out, get out / I'm doing fine
--Emilie Autumn, "Rose Red"

#6 | Back to Top12-10-2012 12:30:30 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

I completely disagree, and I hope that I may be able to at least partially convince you otherwise. I ask you to read the four Q-and-A-style character analyses I've written about the four main characters of the movie:

Akio,
Utena,
Anthy, and
Touga.

(Best read in this order.)

Please give these a fair read, and see if it changes your mind any. You're not the first to believe the movie is shallow and you won't be the last, but really, it isn't. It is dense, layered and multifaceted, and does an incredible amount of things in the short time that it has - and I'm not talking about a pretentious "omg, everything has deep symbolic meaning!" sort of depth. I mean that the characters have complex motivations and interactions that DO have thought and purpose behind them, and can be pieced together and understood as part of a whole narrative that makes sense. You'll also find there are many points of the movie that are rich wells of possible alternate interpretations.

Please let me know what you think. emot-smile

Last edited by Aelanie (12-10-2012 01:00:46 PM)

#7 | Back to Top12-10-2012 12:32:59 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

aRosesareawesome101 wrote:
So fuck you Kunihiko Ikuhara for ruining his character in this movie!

While I agree with almost everything you've said about the SKU movie, I just want to know . . . have you had the (good)fortune of seeing what Anno did with his characters and plot in Rebuild Eva 3.0 Q? 

Watch that (or if you cannot access the camrip, but is not afraid of spoilers, go read the kotaku.com review at http://kotaku.com/5961452/evangelion-30 … -expecting), then go back to Adolescent Apocalypse: I guarantee that Ikuhara's inferior-to-TV production will now look Oscar-worthy compared to the contrived, self-contradictory crap that Anno had smeared his own signature franchise with.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#8 | Back to Top12-10-2012 01:04:40 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Valeli wrote:

Am I sexist if I can get on board with the idea of a long haired girl trying to be a prince, but find the idea of a short haired girl trying to be a prince somehow grating?

I wouldn't say that's sexist. Especially since I prefer her long locks myself. Well, technically she does have long hair in the movie, but I feel the hairstyle she has in the series has more character. In the movie it's just long and flowy (when it's not kept up), probably so they can have more fun animating it, but in the show it looks more styled~
I also prefer Anthy's character design in the show.

However, since the characters are rather different in the movie, it makes sense to alter their appearance too. It clues you in on the role reversal for example. I like their uniforms, at least.

Movie!Juri's hair weirds me out though.

gorgeousshutin: Hrm... I'll still have to see that movie (before reading any reviews). I enjoyed 2.0 (for the most part) at least.

Last edited by Lurv (12-10-2012 01:05:23 PM)

#9 | Back to Top12-10-2012 01:39:24 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

It clues you in on the role reversal for example.

Yeah. I like how the reflections on the floor in the dance scene have the opposite hair of what the characters dancing are wearing. It's well done.

I don't know though, something about it just makes me feel off. Not in a super-serious "am I awful?" way, because I'm fairly sure I'm not, but something about it just gnaws at me throughout the whole film. The hair takes on much more value in the film, than in real life, because it picks up a lot of potential symbolic value and character definition. How you wear your hair in actuality certainly is likely to say something about you to, but in real life there's a ton of other ways I can get to know you. In a 90 or 120 minute movie, the relative value placed on appearances skyrockets.

So yeah. In reality I'd certainly never disassociate myself from someone because of his/her hair or whatever. But in a movie it just becomes a much larger part of the character. Hmm. I dunno.

#10 | Back to Top12-10-2012 01:45:17 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Here's my question: do you buy into the sequel theory? It's starting to convince me, and I've decided to expand it to include the manga as well as the TV show and movie.

Lurv wrote:

Movie!Juri's hair weirds me out though.

It's representative of how Shiori has less power over her in the film: in the TV show, it signifies when she feels emotionally liberated.
I didn't quite get what her game was in coming on to Miki, but whatever.

And Movie-Shiori is just hot. etc-wankdude

#11 | Back to Top12-10-2012 02:05:14 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

RE: Utena's hair.

I'd have to say I prefer it in the series as well.  My take on it is that he long flowy hair (somewhat princess-like, as mentioned) contrasts with the more masculine uniform to highlight the conflict between the roles that Utena is seeking to take on, (to be the prince and to be with the prince) and foreshadows the way she must address this conflict throughout the series.  With short hair, Utena's look is more uniformly masculine, and though this is probably more of a facade than anything, I feel it sort of looses sight of the idea of a girl struggling with the implications of femininity, which is kind of one of my favorite things about the show.  Yes, I will judge a work on whether or not I personally like the themes it explores.  Suck it.

What's more, there's the contrast between the straight hair and wavy hair or curly hair, which Anthy and Utena get switched in the movie.  In the show, I see Anthy's mass of wavy or curly hair as a symbol of her as something "untamed" and primal.  She's something unknown and unconquered, and she can be fiercely cruel to anyone, even the brother she is complicit with, and she's out of even her own control.  Utena, on the other hand, projects a self-image that is more "civilized" and consciously constructed, and trust me, no one's hair does what hers does without some work.  See also Saionji and Touga.  So while straight hair works on movie-Anthy, (she's in control and she knows it) I don't think I would describe movie-Utena as "primal."

Oh dear, I've just gone and closely analyzed a bunch of fictional people's hairstyles.  What.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#12 | Back to Top12-10-2012 02:25:19 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Oh dear, I've just gone and closely analyzed a bunch of fictional people's hairstyles.  What.

Lol! Well, I definitely think some thought must have gone into their hairstyles.

Yes, I will judge a work on whether or not I personally like the themes it explores.  Suck it.

I do the same. No regrets.

Edit: And yeah, the stylish, civilized look is more fitting for a prince. I guess movie!Utena is more lost? I'm not sure which word to use, honestly, because series!Utena is kind of lost as well (faulty memory and everything).

Last edited by Lurv (12-10-2012 02:52:41 PM)

#13 | Back to Top12-10-2012 02:52:49 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I have nothing to add to this except that the car flip was pretty much the only thing in the movie that I liked. (Okay, I liked the kiss at the end too. But other than that...) It almost inspired me to try that on my car, but I'm too lazy.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (12-10-2012 02:53:08 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#14 | Back to Top12-11-2012 05:01:42 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I think I must be the only one in the history of the world who liked the entirety of the movie, and who genuinely thinks that the take on Akio is a pretty good one in terms of an alternate take on his personality and actions within all of the other incarnations. And I also loved Utena's hair. I've had this Akio comparison essay on the back burner for years now. Maybe I might actually write it before I start going grey.

EDIT: Just as an aside, I've had a spot of rum after a spectacularly vile day. I'll be back tomorrow to edit out all of the tipsy from my posts tomorrow, depending on whether or not I have another vile day and need more tipsy in my life to compensate.

Last edited by crystalwren (12-11-2012 05:17:00 AM)

#15 | Back to Top12-11-2012 05:45:18 AM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

crystalwren wrote:

I think I must be the only one in the history of the world who liked the entirety of the movie, and who genuinely thinks that the take on Akio is a pretty good one in terms of an alternate take on his personality and actions within all of the other incarnations.

You're not alone. I absolutely adore the movie, and I quite like how Akio's more pathetic characterisation highlights what a pathetic guy his series self really is under all that magnificent bastardry. (Then again, not only do I like to make connections like this between all the continuities, but I also tend to be of the opinion that the movie characters are simultaneously very different from their series counterparts and not that different at all, if that makes even the faintest lick of sense.)

I mean, even if you look at the gifs that Rosesareawesome posted: as easy as it is to be distracted by how sexy and badass series!Akio looks, at the end of the day, it's still a grown man riding on the bonnet of a moving car with his shirt open. You can't say there's nothing ridiculous about that. emot-tongue

#16 | Back to Top12-11-2012 06:48:55 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Dat gif emot-aaa

I could stare at this forever.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#17 | Back to Top12-11-2012 12:30:56 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

No offense to Valeli, but unless the feeling extends to boys and hair in the same way it is, by definition, sexist. Which doesn't mean that it's terribe, it simply means it's based in the sex characteristic(s) and expectation(s) more than anything else.

I still think the movie's tighter, prettier, and more enjoyable than the series, which is also very pretty and heartbreaking and thrilling and has more swordfights in it, so the TV show is good, too.

I don't think you need to see the show to get the movie. I've seen it with people who never saw the series and they got it easily enough. My mom lost interest on the TV series but she loves throwing the movie up on big screen via projector. And Ikuhara was very open about being inspired by the relationship of Twin Peaks to Fire Walk With Me, and how Japan got the movie before the TV series, leading the series to be viewed through the lens of its followup which was ambiguously either a remake or a prequel and sequel. The car stuff has been addressed by the talent as deliberately to make it strange and new for the familiar audience as well as newcomers. I think the characterization is spot on what the talent wanted it to be. It's very tight. The foley in the movie is brilliant, including all the ambient noise and emic sounds.

The movie deliberately strips a lot of sells away from characters that, in the series, are given time to be shed off, like how Utena fronts as the badass, but she's a scared, lonely, and easy to emotionally wound kid, or that Akio is full of shit and shines bright because he's throwing flashy spotlights on himself, not because he's a good guy. Wakaba turns into a jeep. Saionji is Saionji, straight through the "I will break out of this trap too, and shed my delusions... and then I will be sexing you!"

And, it's a show and movie aimed at a mid-teen audience, at optimum. For that alone, I'll give both mad props. Look at their competition, you know? Be Papas went the extra mile both times and bless them for it.

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (12-12-2012 01:51:32 AM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#18 | Back to Top12-11-2012 02:27:12 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

No offense taken. Wouldn't have brought it up without looking for people's thoughts and, like I said, it's kind of been bothering me. So I think it would be entirely justifiable if someone else were slightly bothered too.

It's better to bring it up and acknowledge it, I guess, than pretend it's not there. Although it is nice to hear that other people have the same sort of feeling and I'm not entirely alone.

#19 | Back to Top12-11-2012 02:28:01 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I like the movie too, but I recognize its flaws in terms of characterization. Relationships like the one between Miki and Kozue or Touga and Shiori are given a few brief scenes and never receive a definite resolution. Saionji goes from a complete psychopath to an arrogant but helpful ally in the final act. The tension between Utena and Anthy is brought to a head before the dance scene which solves it completely and it is never brought up again. The Nanami cow scene takes up at least 10 minutes that could have been spent developing the plot and characters more.
But it's still a beautiful piece of art that I can enjoy every time I watch it.

And what do you think of his literal rape of Touga?

Last edited by Atropos (12-11-2012 07:08:30 PM)

#20 | Back to Top12-12-2012 02:01:59 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Atropos wrote:

And what do you think of his literal rape of Touga?

Touga was a rape victim in the show, too. And I don't simply mean that Be Papas intended to write the backstory of the movie into the show, though that's been somewhat confirmed. I mean that, in the show, he's a teenager with extreme mental and emotional problems who is being used for sex by an adult authority figure through both intimidation and the sense that it proves his own power and autonomy. (Japanese law recognizes a wider variety of rape by intimidation than US law, at least in terms of academic authorities, oddly enough.) Heck, he's been groomed to pull in other kids.

Not to rile up the Akio-lovers, as I know some are, but he's an adult (more than so, really) using children for sex, submission, and both physical and emotional violence.

The movie simply makes it undeniable that he's a rape victim. And that he's sought pleasure in this state. (And how messed up that is.)

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (12-12-2012 02:09:31 AM)

#21 | Back to Top12-12-2012 09:44:27 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:
Not to rile up the Akio-lovers, as I know some are, but he's an adult (more than so, really) using children for sex, submission, and both physical and emotional violence.

That and he incites mass murder ala Nemuro's arson, then is implied to have enslaved their 100 souls for the black rose possessions of the duelists to work.  Akio is definitely a monster, but he's an intelligent, well-fleshed out monster - one that inspires fear, awe,  and desire (since he have that undeniable worldly charisma) in the TV series.  The movie, on the other hand, made him a one-dimensional dweeb windbag, which makes the story itself far less dramatically-effective than the show itself, IMO.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#22 | Back to Top12-12-2012 10:13:04 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

gorgeousshutin wrote:

The movie, on the other hand, made him a one-dimensional dweeb windbag, which makes the story itself far less dramatically-effective than the show itself, IMO.

Less than one dimension. His actual existence/characterization is almost measurable as a negative. He's built of Anthy's anxieties, and arguably Utena and everyone else's, much more than he's presented as a person on his own, at least in the present day. (And, possibly, at all.) The "Tou!" scene plays him completely hollow, but the panic at Anthy still being awake is so hammy, it too, is practically a performance and giant slow-walk ghosty Akio is... yeah. We have no evidence of Akio as a genuine person, not a memory, myth, or a performance. He's not presented as a person, for the most part, but a symbol, or what Scientology calls an "emotional engram" and his his appearances, essentially flashbacks of PTSDing students.

I like both for different reasons, but I think their motivations and role are essentially the same, it's simply the way that he's dressed up that's different, the way he's costumed, talked about, made up and lit. The projector is stronger in the show, and it's attractive lighting, complimentary.

Also: Tou! is fucking awesome, and his freak out re awake Anthy and cars that will rust is hilarious emperor's new clothes stuff. To each their own, naturally, but still, fucking awesome.

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (12-12-2012 10:14:32 AM)

#23 | Back to Top12-12-2012 10:32:15 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Hmm, the movie is more blatant I suppose. In the show it's easy to get distracted by Akio's charming presentation, judging by how many people fall for him, but in the movie he's almost pitiful.

I think all the characters in the movie feel more like symbols than characters actually, which I've already said somewhere else, and this makes me feel less engaged in them. Which is why I don't think the movie stands on its own very well. Still, the movie is pretty epic. I actually quite like Utena's car transformation scene, though the car race does drag on a little.

#24 | Back to Top12-26-2012 06:40:42 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Reviving the thread

Another problem that this movie has it make certain plot point more confusing then they are currently are via not including essential characters and Arc out of it continuity making it feel underdeveloped compared to the tv show.

The biggest one is the fact that Dios does't really exist in this continuity opens up a huge plot hole if you watch the show, it also shows how underdeveloped Utena's character is in this version, the fact that Touga is Utena's boyfriend in this version adds to the confusion.

#25 | Back to Top12-26-2012 07:35:35 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Well, Touga took Dios' place right? So Utena's motivation to become a prince is coming from a somewhat different source. Like she's trying to cover up how hurt/vulnerable she is by acting strong. (But it's been a while since I watched the movie now, so Idk.)

Board footer