This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-07-2010 09:49:55 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

That's so SKU

((Hey, first thread! Woohoo!))

Well, I can't say for sure whether or not you "should be fooled" by the thread title: I've never seen the disney channel show "That's so Raven" so I have no clue what it's about or anything, I've only come across the title while channel surfing...

But, for some reason the phrase stuck with me, so I'll give you my non-specific, perhaps unknowingly plagiarizing (wow, I hope not) interpretation of it: There always happen to be particular lines, or subtle actions the characters make whether I'm watching SKU or reading fanfiction that make me think...

"That is just so [character name]."

Basically it happens like this: you're reading/watching, and a bit comes along that isn't really major to the plot, and the line/action just seems so minuscule... and yet, one realizes it speaks volumes about the character(s), and/or just fits them so well. Personally, these strike a major chord within me, I crack up whenever I see/hear them. For me, these quotes/scenes are generally uplifting, but I'll admit there have been times when I smile grimly at a certain piece of Anthy's behavior/dialogue, and... you know. That's there, too. For some reason I feel rather self-conscious about using the phrase when I remember that show I never saw. I can't say how popular it was, whether someone will post who has more knowledge of it than myself... but, I'm rambling. (Wakaba, lol) The reason I'm creating this topic is that I may receive the opinions of others with similar experiences. I'll start by sharing one, the most recent which drove me to make this topic:

So I was reading Jaquemart (I trust you folks to know this title...) for the first time this morning and came across the following line, spoken by Nanami:

"I'm sure there are plenty of heroic older brothers out there."

My apologies for taking it out of context (by doing so, once again the expectation is placed on the reader to know where it's from...) but, that's how I was. I was reading, and... bam. There it was. "Wow. That is just. so. Nanami." You know, it was like there was so much Nanami in that single sentence, it caused my brain to implode from the laughter. Thus, here I am relating it to you all.

So, actually the reason for my creating this topic is twofold: I really just wanted to share that particular one, and I also was curious of the opinions of IRG on this particular concept, that they may show their own interpretations.

Your post doesn't have to use the phrase. You can just post the line/scene as a quote, and either leave at that to let it speak for itself or explain why you think it fits here. But I'd suggest emphasizing the personal significance it holds to you. To me it's an idea that fits better when one feels strongly about it, a line that made you laugh particularly hard, or perhaps cringe notably in the case of a downer version.

So... yeah. that's it I suppose. Apologies in advance if this would perhaps be more suited to the Lounge of Shaved Ice, but I felt there could be some mentally stimulating discussion here. After all, THIS! IS- okay I'm gonna stop there.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#2 | Back to Top07-19-2010 07:48:31 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Re: That's so SKU

One that get's me all the time...

The scene where Touga and Akio are in the akio car and Touga's stroking the trim, it strikes me that this action is just something he would do...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

Board footer