This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top02-23-2013 12:47:13 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Re: [review Revolutionary girl utena: the movie

That's a bit harsh, yeah. Who doesn't like lesbianism after all? Okay that's partly a joke, but still.

I guess it helps that I'm not that passionate about series!Akio, but I don't really mind movie!Akio. He's just so pathetic I end up feeling a little sorry for him. emot-tongue And the car-obsession is funny.

#77 | Back to Top02-23-2013 01:47:19 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I used to have a reputation on the forum as the person who was quickest to defend movie!Akio, actually. It's been a long time though, and I am so not up on my references to make any points that make any sense. It boils down to this: seriesverse, mangaverse and movieverse all have their own deeply intertwined mythology in my head, thus to me, insulting any 'verse is just insulting the same characters a person says they love.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited by Aine Silveria (02-23-2013 01:48:32 PM)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#78 | Back to Top02-23-2013 02:00:21 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I was very put out of joint, until there was criticism of movie-Shiori, then I realized it was all a joke.

Because nobody could really hate on all those things and Shiori and "Tou!"

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#79 | Back to Top02-24-2013 11:00:51 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Aine Silveria wrote:

One, for a spoiler-free review, you do a pretty bad job of being spoiler free. What you say about Akio is certainly spoilery, and I'm sure there's more I could find if I tried.

Two, as someone who enjoys the movie for various reasons, I do not at all like the idea that you think people should be injured for their like of anything. That's an incredibly asshole way of expressing your distaste and could be said in a far less derogatory way.

Except that I was't intending it to be a spoiler-free review in a consistent sense and about my last line in the review; that was kind of a over exaggeration, I don't personally hate the fans of the movie but I don't think that movie does't deserve to be on par with the tv series in comparison. Other then the presentation, it  mediocre compared to the TV series, there nothing about it plot and character that I consider on par with TV series because the character in the movie are 1 dimensional compare to their TV counterpart.

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I was very put out of joint, until there was criticism of movie-Shiori, then I realized it was all a joke.

Because nobody could really hate on all those things and Shiori and "Tou!"

Oh come on; you should know that by this point that Shiori is't a well liked character in the fandom especially Juri fans; she a shit character overall, she clings to juri for help because of her low self esteem but does't even try to improve herself then there Juri being in love with her which piss off a lot of shippers, she just exist to set up scenarios for episodes that are related to Juri/Ruka and she a really shallow character in comparison to the rest of the show's core character cast.
Movie-shiori is just as bad in fact they reduce her to a villein role so that decrease the chance of people relating with her even more because she is a absolute bitch in the movie with no redeeming qualities.
And no I did't intend the review to be a joke.

#80 | Back to Top02-25-2013 06:03:31 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Rosesareawesome101 wrote:

she just exist to set up scenarios for episodes that are related to Juri/Ruka and she a really shallow character in comparison to the rest of the show's core character cast.

Wait what

Even though she was introduced well before he ever showed up? (Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even have Ruka thought up at that point.)

I always thought Shiori was a pretty decent character. Not in the moral sense, of course, but her being disliked has more to do with her being a bitch than being poorly developed is what I'm saying (you even say she piss off Juri fans and shippers). Her inferiority complex is relatable at least, and in the movie she makes for an entertaining villain ("You're mistaken if you think you're the only one who can turn into a car!"). Like in the show she ends up screwing herself over, which is always fun to watch. emot-tongue

#81 | Back to Top03-03-2013 04:02:41 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Every time someone gets critical of the movie I want to watch it again. I can understand those who feel their favorite character didn't get enough screentime, I get empathize with those who feel Akio got shortchanged. ZOMG it's a pretty, moving, goofy, loud, sweet, funny, scary, crazyass romantic movie with Shiori! As! A! Frilly! Car! Crashing herself.

One of the best movies I've seen "on the big screen," hands down. Absolutely gorgeous and thrilling huge.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer