This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#351 | Back to Top06-16-2014 05:41:10 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Re: Painted Ladies: All About Makeup (and Skin Care)

Raven Nightshade wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

We need to get to work on making a satiny or shimmery pure black eyeshadow with rainbow reflective properties, like oil slicks.  I'd call it Invoke.  Or a true, demensional opal eyeshadow, which would be called Earthsea.

I would like both of these immediately.

In the meantime, Aromaleigh(they came back, you know) has one that has the iridescence of a raven feather. http://www.aromaleigh.com/ramaspedey.html

Holy fucking shit I need that in my life.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#352 | Back to Top06-16-2014 06:04:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Well god damn fuck you, too. emot-mad

(Oh god Tattler and Murder Tie)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#353 | Back to Top06-19-2014 05:14:36 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

On one hand, it was 88 degrees today and I had to run an errand that ended up being fruitless with no A/C in my car.  On the other hand, my make-up remained flawless. 

cool

#354 | Back to Top06-20-2014 01:23:48 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'm a sucker for packaging, but packaging on it's own won't usually draw me -case in point, Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette, Urban Decay Electric and Vice palettes and Marc Jacob's Style Eye-con 210 ( reminds me of a kids water color set). I love all three of these, wouldn't mind any of them, but can't bring myself to buy them because there just isn't that perfect storm of whatever that will convince me to part with money.

That said, I totally bought this and this today.

They're elf, so I don't expect fantastic quality and the brushes are the white handled, not the studio line, so I know they're shit, but... LOOK AT IT. For 15 bucks all together? Yeah, that's low enough that I don't have to get angry if it sucks. I'll edit when I get home and let you know how they are.

#355 | Back to Top06-22-2014 03:12:18 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So Mint Julips is one of our favorite products. It's delicious (actually scratches my sweets itch) and it works better than any lip balm for instant results. I LOVE matte lipstick, but matte lipstick looks like hell without baby's ass smooth lips, and this is my secret. The problem?

IT'S TEN DOLLARS A CONTAINER.

Now. I have a slowly developing policy in life. If it's a product I can make in less time and with less money than it takes for me to earn the money to buy it, I'm being a lazy jackass if I buy it. (Note that this is, on occasion, totally acceptable to me.) Now, most things actually pass this test. Eyeshadows? Pass, because I'll never get exactly what I want without a huge financial investment in supplies. Soaps? We're getting hairy there--I'm considering a couple pounds of melt and pour stuff to play with my oils with. Scrubs? Seriously, anything where the primary ingredient is salt or sugar is probably easily doable on your own, with more control over the ingredients.

http://www.pinksofoxy.com/2013/02/diy-m … scrub.html

This took me literally about one minute, and I had all the things for it except vitamin E. (I added orange oil for extra noms.) You know what? EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME, and without Limonene and 'Flavoring.' Seriously why do you need to flavor something made out of cocoa powder, sugar, and peppermint??? Also this must have cost at most like $0.10 in materials.

Added bonus is the recipe fits perfectly in the old jar. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#356 | Back to Top06-25-2014 10:24:13 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

MissMocha wrote:

I'm a sucker for packaging, but packaging on it's own won't usually draw me -case in point, Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette, Urban Decay Electric and Vice palettes and Marc Jacob's Style Eye-con 210 ( reminds me of a kids water color set). I love all three of these, wouldn't mind any of them, but can't bring myself to buy them because there just isn't that perfect storm of whatever that will convince me to part with money.

That said, I totally bought this and this today.

They're elf, so I don't expect fantastic quality and the brushes are the white handled, not the studio line, so I know they're shit, but... LOOK AT IT. For 15 bucks all together? Yeah, that's low enough that I don't have to get angry if it sucks. I'll edit when I get home and let you know how they are.

Those are fucking ridiculously cute, how old are they (as in, I have not heard of them are they only available in drugstores)?  Pairing those shadows with bronzers and a gloss is perfect for a Little Mermaid look-book, much more on point thematically than some recent Disney themed sets from ELF and other brands. 

I received Kat Von D's Ladybird pallete as a gift, and the shadows themselves are fantastic.  They go on rich and distinct from one another, and blend easily enough without fading away to nothing.  All the colors work well in some regard; the darker shades make great shadow liners and smoky overlayers, and the midtones add both natural and expressive dimension and shape to the lids.  And I appreciate that it comes with a brown liner; I have more than enough black liners kthnx. 

I do wish the packaging was a bit sturdier, though.  Nice, thick plastic lid, covered in pretty art (I'm usually not a fan of KVD's Ed Hardy kinda roses and crap, so the woman with winged hair was a refreshing sight), and it came in a neat little box, too.  But then you open it and the damn hinge is a spring.  An exposed spring waiting to fall out or break at the slightest jostle, because I've been around that block.  The lid flops open and falls all the way back with no tension so the mirror can't be used without you holding it very carefully.  I expect this kind of thing with cardboard palettes, not plastic.  There's something about a smaller palette that makes me feel that it's meant to be used while being held, which you need an adjustable lid to do properly.  It's not a big deal, because I have more than one mirror for at-home applications, so the pallete can sit on my vanity or bathroom counter all it likes, but I won't be able to use it on the go or for touch-ups or travel (in which I do not always have access to an otherwise shared mirror), all of which I do often.

It just feels like an odd dinky little bit on an otherwise impressive product, quality and packaging-wise.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (06-25-2014 10:25:33 PM)

#357 | Back to Top06-26-2014 12:09:56 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

OitL wrote:

Those are fucking ridiculously cute, how old are they (as in, I have not heard of them are they only available in drugstores)?  Pairing those shadows with bronzers and a gloss is perfect for a Little Mermaid look-book, much more on point thematically than some recent Disney themed sets from ELF and other brands.

I think they're pretty new. I only saw them in Walgreens the day before I bought them and posted about it, and I haven't seen a lot about them online. I haven't seen them on ELF's site, so I'm thinking they may be some sort of drugstore exclusive. I do feel like the color and product combination is really well thought out -the beachy, sun kissed look is far more suited for a Little Mermaid palette than the more washed out Ursula one they did last year. The packaging itself is pretty sturdy despite the fact that I generally dislike this type for palettes -I am thankful they didn't do the gloss as a pan product. Nothing turns me off an item faster than having a lip product in the same packaging as a powder product. UGH. That said, the gloss is thicker, and fairly sheer, with... a scent. It's not unpleasant or anything, it's just... a scent. I can't really describe it. Kind of sweet? It's not super heavy and seems like the scent should fade, but I didn't wear it for very long. The brush I got was better quality than I expected, although not as densely packed as their C Smudge brush from the studio line -which is one I like quite a bit for shadows. I didn't bother with the kabuki, since I don't use bronzers.

I don't care for the bronze-purple duo, especially together. The colors are too similar and muted, and they just muddy up. The blue and gold isn't terrible, and the eyeliner pen is adequate -it'll be good for experimenting when I don't want to use up my beloved KVD Trooper pen. They actually have quite a few items, there's a lipgloss pack, a brush set, eyelashes and a bronzer and kabuki duo. The bronzer is pretty -brown speckled with gold- but not my thing. The brushes are their short handled crystal ones, which are... meh. I don't like them. The packaging for the lipgloss is a squeezy tube, but the signet thing it's got going on is really lovely. I don't generally like glosses tbh, and if I do, I'm not getting the squeezy kind, but... they had a nautilus on them!

OitL wrote:

Kat Von D's Ladybird

I've had my Ladybird palette for about 6-8 months now, and so far it has survived very well, if that helps reassure you some? Lip products are my only daily carry, but this has logged several hundred miles traveling. It and my Bare Minerals Star Treatment are the only palettes I travel with now, since they complement  each other so well. I know a makeup bag in a car trunk or bus travel compartment aren't the same as a purse on a daily basis, but it does seem fairly sturdy. Having said that, I will probably drop it within the next few days and cry miserably at a broken spring. Stylewise, I think most of KVD's work has shifted away from the rockabilly inspired stuff and more towards a goth hand. Her Poetica palette has a really lovely Baroque-esque acanthus pattern to it.

It's kind of funny that you mentioned Ladybird as I was actually going to post about it myself! I used Pomegranate Punk under Für Elise -the purple shade. Freaking loved it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by MissMocha (06-26-2014 12:12:20 PM)

#358 | Back to Top06-26-2014 02:08:38 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The more I play with Ladybird, the more impressed I am with the colors and finishes chosen.  Neutral palletes are so common right now the term itself has become meaningless, and usually they are nothing more than the same 10-20 shimmery bronzes we all know.  If not, it's all rose gold shimmers, or gold shimmers, or berry and wines, or browns plus one blue. 

But this is what I think of when I think of more adult, office friendly but creative color set.  The colors weren't selected because they are "neutrals" but because they are timeless.  There is a difference between classic, mature shades and "standard" black, white, brown shades when you talk about matte and neutral palletes, and this product gets it.  I feel like when it comes to sets, you can either select the boring browns/bronze/rose gold all-day every-days because adulthood or the crazy acid brights candy colors went you want literally anything but that, with nary between.  Ladybird is the perfect romance of wearable and classic, but also bold and distinct. 

I really like it, in other words.etc-love

#359 | Back to Top06-26-2014 02:52:50 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I agree with you on all these points! I don't think it's a perfect standalone palette (at least not for me). Despite loving it and mattes, I do like some shimmers as an option for my looks. Hence the all shimmers BareMinerals palette I add to my travel pack. It is perfect for what it is though: an all matte palette with the ability to do no-makeup makeup, classic/timeless office friendly looks, and full on smoked out gothy drama. It's the only palette I can really think of that's as small as it is and still so very versatile.

Imho, her other palettes are perfectly lovely -and I adore the shade shifter singles- but to be honest, I really think Ladybird is some bottled lightning. There just isn't anything else quite like it available from anyone else. At least, not that I've come across, personally.

#360 | Back to Top06-26-2014 11:01:36 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So we're thinking of getting into making face scrubs, soaps, things like that. There's a fantastic, very affordable Canadian site that sells all the stuff for it, and it'd be pretty awesome to know exactly what is and isn't in our actual skin care products. Anyone played with this at all?

I already have plans for SKU themed soaps.

Fucking rose absolute is expensive. emot-mad

#361 | Back to Top06-27-2014 02:24:59 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

I have a degree in chemistry! My suggestion is to start using reagents that you can get by the drum. I think you can get fruit enzyme by the drum. Start out using cheap reagents before you start buying expensive reagents. A lot of soap have very generalized ingredients. You could find reagents like aloe, fragrance, and coloring for cheap. I would focus on soap shape, coloring, and compromise a little on the fragrance. Make some combinations of ingredients. Certain soaps are used for certain things. Think about body wash, bubble bath, shampoo, and even exfoliate scrubs. You make many products with cheap reagents. It is the best way to keep yourself in business and you will have a good selection.

Last edited by yusaku (06-27-2014 02:28:51 AM)

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#362 | Back to Top06-27-2014 03:02:07 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Keep us posted on the soap process and ideas!  It's the kind of thing I would love to do, if only to try and figure out the most sustainable way to do it.  Sustainability is important to me because when Obama comes and takes away all our guns and destroys the world, I'll need to be able to do this long term.  Did you all know I want to live in the city but also own a root cellar?  A root cellar would be the shit. 

Why does anyone let me watch Doomsday Preppers? 

Also if you make a Saionji soap make sure it is SUPER lotiony, okay?

#363 | Back to Top06-27-2014 04:43:18 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Harr. I'll make sure it's very, very lubricating. Heh.

#364 | Back to Top06-27-2014 07:35:02 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Giovanna wrote:

You're gonna do great things, kid.  Those soaps on etsy fill me with great need. 

Has anyone here tried the Benefit Big Easy whatever foundation? 
I actually got mine two months ago when I needed to get something a tad darker and I'm in love.  It goes on super easy, sets to a really light feeling true powder-like finish, and has that sweet spot of true medium coverage.  It's my "no think" foundation that doesn't need to be excessively or quickly buffed into the skin (which means I can use mah fangers), and it looks nice enough I don't pair it with a powder or primer (even most convenient full coverage powder foundations need to be layered a bit and still don't last very long.)  Maybe some concealer under my eyes if I'm going to be out awhile.  I'm not sure it lives up to any of its claimed features, but I like it for what it ended up being anyway.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (06-27-2014 07:35:51 PM)

#365 | Back to Top06-28-2014 11:39:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

You're gonna do great things, kid.  Those soaps on etsy fill me with great need.

Planning for it! We aren't going into business or anything, but if we get good at it, we'll distribute to friends. emot-biggrin

Honestly, with soap we'll cheat and use melt and pour premade stuff. But I researched it, and they can be great quality, the shit you'd spend hours doing anyway. I'd rather focus on the scents and such. Yasha and I like very unusual scents, and we usually find the most good stuff from Villainess, but I think it'd be fun to try to outdo her in so far as what we like.

#366 | Back to Top07-01-2014 06:34:54 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Today is Canada Day! In lieu of having actual fun, I took a break from EKG strip practice to attempt to do a French manicure on myself.

http://i.imgur.com/KwWCe6R.jpg

#367 | Back to Top07-03-2014 08:25:53 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Giovanna wrote:

Canada Pornographic Akio Wallpaper

Mount the Mounty Chairman?

As a result of my "Oh, you don't want that thing? Thing mine now" method of cosmetic procurement, I have a couple cute little deluxe sample things!

Tarte Cheek Stain in Flushed.  I remember people being really upset when Tarte halved the size of the full sized versions but kept the price the same.  It made sense to me, they were literally giving people SO MUCH of a type of product that very, very quickly went bad (from its high moisture content and the design of the product- lots of contact with your face and fingers) that peeps was consistently complaining of spoiled product.  This wasn't Tarte realizing they could skin us for money, but that they made a genuine error in sizing.  Think of it this way, you are still getting the same amount of time to use the product, and ultimately will use the same amount of product, because these things also have a lot of applications in them for their size.  Even the teeny deluxe sample size I have will probably last me me well over a month of daily use.

Anyway shit looks awesome.  Soaks into the skin so it's great for summer, and dots on precisely but blends out easily with a gentle pat of your fingers, so you have really good control over both the intensity, placement and gradient of the color. 

Clinique Moisture Surge.  FUCK.  This stuff, it's amazing.  My skin looks so goddamn NICE after I put in on, all plump and smooth and healthy, and considering the amount of acne products I put on before my moisturizer, it's pretty impressive that it does its job so well without causing my skin to peel or slough off from sogginess.  My face looks alive and hydrated, but all pores and other rough patches aren't accentuated by excess shiny moisture.  You can use it anytime, and you can even put it on over make-up and it don't fuck it up none, son.

Bareminerals Marvelous Moxie LipGloss in Party Starter.  Also another really fantastic summer product.  It's a sticky (but not goopy or uncomfortable) gloss, so it stays the fuck put (the only thing it can't hold up against is meals, of course) and it gives the kind of look to the lips that I want from lighter colored glosses but rarely ever get.  I have darker lips, and this made them look the exact bright, coral shade in the tube, but not in the way you think a pigmented gloss would.  It legitimately made my lips look like they were naturally a different color, with but a clear gloss coat on top.  Pretty much every shade I've ever tried from this line of glosses has been fantastic.

I also finally got my Julep Plie wand from my maven box order two months ago due to a shipping snafu, and it's a joke.  Snapped it onto one of my polishes, the very first one, and it's fucking stuck there forever.

#368 | Back to Top07-21-2014 01:21:00 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

So, Kat von D has a new lipstick collection coming out this fall, and Christine on Temptalia already has two swatches/reviews up.

Main post showing all of the colors coming out.

Poe, a shimmery navy blue....WHICH I NEED LIKE WHOA.

Adora, a warmish red.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (07-21-2014 01:21:36 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#369 | Back to Top07-21-2014 02:50:39 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The colors and packaging look fantastic, and I was all excited for Poe until I saw the lip swatches.  It doesn't look like it applies very well.

#370 | Back to Top07-21-2014 09:21:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

YESSS MORE MATTES

So far I've been really happy with the Kat line whenever I've purchased from it. There's a ton of great stuff there and a few that even look worksafe for me and with long wear times might even be plausible. For 12+ hour shifts full of the consumption of stimulants and running around like a maniac, regular lipstick just doesn't do it. I have had better luck with tinted lip balms (although the colors tend to be way too pink and childish) and mattes and stains. These are right up my alley.

Yasha wants like all the shades that are near black. emot-biggrin

#371 | Back to Top07-22-2014 02:04:41 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

The colors and packaging look fantastic, and I was all excited for Poe until I saw the lip swatches.  It doesn't look like it applies very well.

I'm not entirely sure that it's the product so much as user error. Odd and dark colors like that have to be applied more carefully because it'll be really obvious if you miss a spot or apply unevenly. But I need to look at other people's swatches too.

Meanwhile, OCC has a new lip tar collection coming out next month, and they have a color similar to Poe called Technopagan. It's metallic, slightly brighter, and closer to a true indigo. I seem to be the only one that doesn't have application issues with lip tars, so I'm excited.

Giovanna wrote:

Yasha wants like all the shades that are near black. emot-biggrin

A woman after my own heart.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (07-22-2014 02:10:57 PM)

#372 | Back to Top07-22-2014 02:13:40 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I don't have an issue with their application so much as their typical finishes, which always appear like acrylic on the lips.  Some peeps dig that, I don't (I have to wear my hair back with them, and I have small, wrinkly lips...)

I did try Pool Boy recently, and while I prefer the finish (it's from their matte line) it was actually the first OCC lip tar that ever applied patchy for me and needed to be finessed onto my lips. 

I am in the mood to try some more out.  Considering how many applications you get for 18 dollars they are one of the best priced lip products, and the free samples you can request at Sephora go a looooooooong way.

http://s4.postimg.org/8jyg9bye1/10371435_10204593551145505_4136612041513022380_n_jpg_oh_eac68abd5e3be1abecbc0948e8ba3b94_oe_5438_CDB6_gda_1414952194_b6628acc9a9c4a1882e20ac656243326.jpg

also hi bra

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (07-22-2014 02:14:42 PM)

#373 | Back to Top07-22-2014 02:49:44 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Raven Nightshade wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I'm not entirely sure that it's the product so much as user error. Odd and dark colors like that have to be applied more carefully because it'll be really obvious if you miss a spot or apply unevenly. But I need to look at other people's swatches too.

The swatch photo of Poe that KVD posted on her instagram makes it look very different from Temptalia's photos, but no less interesting. I know it's a case of optimum conditions, and the likelihood of her posting something adverse about her brand is nil, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm not much of a lippies girl, but the packaging and some of the shades have me intrigued.

OitL, may I just say, your brows are looking magnificent. Go you! emot-smile

#374 | Back to Top07-22-2014 03:20:36 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I actually need to let them grow out and then have them done professionally, since I done fucked them up.

*sniffs Karma soap*

#375 | Back to Top07-22-2014 04:36:42 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I wrote:

So, I said this, but now that I've looked at other swatches, you're right. It's patchy as hell, which is disappointing. 

And now I'm looking at swatches and photos of the entire line on Specktra, which I never remember exists until I do Google image searches. Motorhead is disappointing because it looks like a lighter version of Homegirl, and I don't need more blue-reds in my life.

While perusing that thread, I forgot that Melt Cosmetics has a violet-blue called DGAF. It's a slightly less metallic version of OCC's Technopagan that I mentioned earlier. Further down, I find out that NYX has a Wicked lipstick collection coming out that's a lot of jewel tones. Their Macaron collection was cute, but I don't really do pastels.

Board footer