This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-10-2007 01:49:54 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Re: Gaiaonline

Exactly!

Actually, those who are intimidated by college-level critical thinking wouldn't be SKU fans!

It all works out.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#27 | Back to Top06-10-2007 02:06:27 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I feel satisfied.

Although I am a critical thinker, I have a problem choosing the words that come out of my mouth.

NOT EVERYONE IS A COMMUNICATION MAJOR.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#28 | Back to Top06-10-2007 03:08:38 PM

Drukqs
Ballgoer
Website

Gaia was the coolest thing ever...when I was 14.  I'm always amused when 4chan raids the place but the fact that Gaia does a good job of trolling themselves now makes it even more pathetic.  On a completely unrelated note, I think I just typed the greatest run-on sentence I've ever.

Sometimes I go onto the Dream Avatar Creator just for fun though.

You can go to LJ, or tastysouls.deviantart.com

#29 | Back to Top06-10-2007 03:16:53 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

My biggest problem with Gaia was that there were tons of times when the people there left me feeling pissed off. I hate how you need to be an asshole to be well respected, I hate how anyone who says that they were raped or that someone in their family died is just making it up, and I hate how fucking stupid the people there are in general.

I found someone who thought that Rome and Greece fell just because a lot of the citizens back then were gay, and that America will fall for the same reason if we allow it. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Not to mention how often people encourage suicide on there.

#30 | Back to Top06-10-2007 03:18:14 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

The Dream Avatar Creator? That's always worth an hour or so of fun on a rainy day. emot-dance I use it to create fictional identities for most of my writing. Saves the time and labour of actually drawing the characters out.

Yeah, I'm a lazy bastard. emot-redface

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#31 | Back to Top06-10-2007 04:03:53 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Drukqs wrote:

Gaia was the coolest thing ever...when I was 14.  I'm always amused when 4chan raids the place but the fact that Gaia does a good job of trolling themselves now makes it even more pathetic.  On a completely unrelated note, I think I just typed the greatest run-on sentence I've ever.

Sometimes I go onto the Dream Avatar Creator just for fun though.

DID SOMEONE SAY 4CHAN???

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#32 | Back to Top06-10-2007 04:15:38 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Razara wrote:

My biggest problem with Gaia was that there were tons of times when the people there left me feeling pissed off. I hate how you need to be an asshole to be well respected, I hate how anyone who says that they were raped or that someone in their family died is just making it up, and I hate how fucking stupid the people there are in general.

I found someone who thought that Rome and Greece fell just because a lot of the citizens back then were gay, and that America will fall for the same reason if we allow it. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Not to mention how often people encourage suicide on there.

Yes, exactly. Actually.. that's the main problem I had with Gaia. The malice.

I remember in GD, when flamers were the most popular. The "prommies". They were worshipped for insulting confused, dumb newbies. Because, you know, insulting people that are less smart than you clearly makes you intelligent. I'd like to see how some of them would fair in ED. \:

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (06-10-2007 04:39:52 PM)

#33 | Back to Top06-10-2007 04:24:38 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Yes, exactly. Actually.. that's the main problem I had with Gaia. The maliciousness.

MALICE!!!  emot-gonk

/english-teachz0r

#34 | Back to Top06-10-2007 04:39:31 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

satyreyes wrote:

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Yes, exactly. Actually.. that's the main problem I had with Gaia. The maliciousness.

MALICE!!!  emot-gonk

/english-teachz0r

OH FINE. emot-frown

I knew I got that word wrong.

#35 | Back to Top06-10-2007 04:48:27 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Honestly, the grammar nazis were kind of a problem, too. There were people who would make fun of you if spelt even one word wrong, and if there were multiple typos, you would get a bunch of posts that would say things like, "ENGLISH, PLEASE." Then there were the people who were too damn lazy to read the entire posts. I can understand that, but they don't have to post, "WALL OF TEXT." They could just not read it, and not reply. But, no. They have to look cool.

Anyway, let's see what other random stuff I have in my folder.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/NiceDay.gif
If you've read the plot, you'll understand this.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/House.jpg
I liked my house... As you can tell, I love the color red.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/ChatterboxAirForce.jpg
Technically the GDers bombed themselves. It's like a civil war going on there.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/Imscaredtoo.jpg
Hazy is a troll. They seriously wanted a troll to be a moderator. emot-gonk
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/BabyKealdreaandRazara.jpg
More of Kealdrea's avatar art, but I'm in this one.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/RazaraCall.jpg
Sims + My avatar.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/ZubonWalk.jpg
He's not a girl, damnit. emot-mad
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/Kyuucrossdressing.jpg
Neither is he, though I didn't expect you to know that. That's Kyuu. He was my favorite moderator. This is a picture of him cross dressing. He was just that awesome.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/L0ckeandtheAdmins.jpg
And here we have a picture of L0cke, one of the admins, jumping over a ping-pong table.

#36 | Back to Top06-10-2007 05:57:39 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Out of the thousands of members of Gaia, I wonder how many of them actually pay attention to the storyline for the story itself and not quest items. It's like the Cinemas theatrical trailers. Nobody pays any attention aside from quest items. It's really sad.

Case in point: about a week ago, I decided to accept the quest trilogy for the new movie they made based on the old Nancy Drew novels. (Does anybody remember those? I never read them, but...) When I found the official guild dedicated to the movie, most of the posts were locked because people were whining and griping about not being able to finish the quests properly. Anything that wasn't directly related to the movie (and the guild welcome screen said otherwise, as far as I could see) was locked almost immediately.

(The secret to solving the quests? Leave the Cinema window for a quest open until you're completely done with that quest. THEN close the Cinema window out.)

But it's terrible when nobody pays attention to the storyline because there are items on the line. It's like there's no real plot to the holiday celebrations, it's just an item free for all. Very, deeply, depressingly sad indeed... emot-gonk

EDIT: If you're curious, yes, I am a bit of a spelling and grammar Nazi, EXCEPT I fume silently. I won't harass somebody because they use overly relaxed spelling and grammar. It's the freaking Internet, why else did they invent chat speak and l33t? This is coming, though, from a person who cannot spell "manoeuvre" in American to save his life...and he's a natural American!

Last edited by BioKraze (06-10-2007 05:59:50 PM)

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#37 | Back to Top06-10-2007 06:34:12 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I hate when people don't type properly, too. I stopped using chat speak when I was twelve, and I don't even use it on AIM. The problem of illiteracy on Gaia isn't as bad as in some places. On RuneScape, for example, I told myself that I would give 100K to anyone who typed properly, and I never found anyone. People asked me on several occasions why I typed the way I did. The idea of not using chatspeak and using punctuation was just that unheard of. Sad, isn't it?

As for the plot, I'm pretty sure that people do pay attention to the plot. Honestly, I don't know what the quests are. But I still remember when the plot first started. It was during the Olympics. Everyone loved Gino, and hated Gambino because he abused his son. Then, eventually, they introduced the Von Helsing sisters, and it became a two sided war of Gambino supporters and Von Helsing supporters. The first time they showed up, everyone thought that the Von Helsing sisters were either werewolves or vampires. Then they killed the Von Helsing sisters. Is Ian still in jail? That's when I stopped caring. The whole thing was stupid.

Oh, God, and then there was the Santa and Jack thing. I was a zombie then, so I supported Jack, though I've never been quite as fond of Halloween ever since that Halloween event.

The Halloween event was hell. The year before, I had just barely missed getting a really rare item, so the next year I wanted to get whatever it was. I stayed up all night, and even broke down into tears at some point because of that damn event. And what I got for it was a hideous avatar. In the long run, that was probably what made me leave Gaia in the first place. I hated my avatar, so there was no point in posting.

#38 | Back to Top06-10-2007 07:04:23 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Razara wrote:

I hated my avatar, so there was no point in posting.

I started getting tired of my avatar, too. Then I realised that maybe I should get up and do something about it. So I used the Dream Avatar Creator to simulate a new form for me. I marked the names of the necessary items (thankfully, many of them were recent items, the killer was my shirt, at over 30k gold...in the shops!) and threw together my alter ego on Gaia -- the "Son of Sun." Even wrote a backstory for the avatar and posted the results in Arena. Of course, I didn't win anything, but I got a useful tip that scored me another item for Son of Sun. I rarely dress as him, unless there's something formal going on or I just want to impress people.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/GaiaOnline/SunStar01.png
This is the Son of Sun in full godly avatar regalia. Not quite a god, closer to an Incarnation of Immortality. But he's still pretty powerful in his element.

It seems the more you care about your avatar, the more you care about Gaia and having to deal with all the shit you get from it. I happen to like your avatar, Razara. I think it's in very good taste, and being cute while you're at it is a plus. emot-keke

Last edited by BioKraze (06-10-2007 07:37:56 PM)

#39 | Back to Top06-10-2007 07:15:59 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I like my avatar too, but that's because I changed it back about a year after I quit Gaia.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/176.png
Here's one stage of the zombie thing. You only need 175/500 Grunnies to get your avatar like this. It doesn't look to bad. At least I have hair. emot-mad

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/RazaraSeme.png
ISN'T THAT THE SCARIEST THING YOU'VE EVER SEEN? They took my hair, my eyes, and they made me look scary as hell. My old outfit didn't look good with this. Nothing did. So I made her dress up as a zombie bondage whore. If I had to suffer, then I wanted everyone else to suffer whenever they looked at my horrible avatar. (I got her a nakie glitch at some point, too.)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/Zombie.png
Then I stayed like this for a while. This was somewhat acceptable. Kealdrea picked out the outfit. Even so, I loved my old avatar, and so this just wasn't worth it.

The only reason why I kept it the way I did was because less than 100 people out of hundreds of thousands had an avatar like that. Even so, it wasn't worth it.

#40 | Back to Top06-10-2007 07:24:09 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I hadn't heard of Gaia in time for the whole Grunny debacle, but I do have a friend who's in the second stage of Grunnyfication. Admittedly, like almost everybody else on my friendslist, she doesn't do Gaia anymore, but she did show me her, err...advanced stage...

As for being fully Grunnyfied, I congratulate you, Razara. Not many people I know can lay a true claim to having a cute red eyed green zombie parasite bunny thing on their head. And I have a vial of antidote that serves no other purpose in inventory other than to look cool.

*thinks aloud* Hmmm...Grunnies...Zurg...I'm going to have to see what Son of Sun looks like as a Zurg. I'll post a picture when I've completed the transition. (Don't worry, I don't plan on staying Zurg for long. Terran power, all the way! This I learned from many battles against the evil Alien Scourge in X-COM...but that's another thread and another story...)

#41 | Back to Top06-10-2007 07:44:15 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I liked my Grunny. I named her Shiori, but I guess she's dead now.

And for all of you that have used Gaia, take a look at a screenshot of Kealdrea's inventory. I don't even have half that much. And she somehow managed to buy a ton of art, too. (She's an art whore.) Amazingly enough, she was popular on Gaia without acting like a bitch.

#42 | Back to Top06-10-2007 07:57:11 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Jesus H. Christ in a chicken basket! (My favourite use of the Lord's name in vain. emot-keke ) That's a hell of an inventory Kealdrea's got there! I'm glad the gift credit system exists, in that case!

I just bought a new outfit for my character that I swear I bought before one time...then again, with the high prices they charge, maybe not...Now, I AM THE SECTOID HUNTER.

In other news, I do indeed have a Zurgified version of Son of Sun. Here it is (reminding you all I did this with the fancy new Sig Lab and not Tektek...)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/GaiaOnline/SunStar03.png

Not as cool as the human version, in my opinion. I don't think aliens were meant to be gods in Gaia...

#43 | Back to Top06-10-2007 09:12:34 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

http://avatar2.gaiaonline.com/gaia/members/ava/c0/0a/273e37d580ac0.png?t=1180418742_3.00_00

This is my current avatar, I haven't been able to change it because I have a commission running right now.

My house, yeah it's cool.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#44 | Back to Top06-10-2007 09:21:29 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

A commission running, Persephone? Like in the Arena? If you have an avatar saved for the Arena, you can change it back to what it was before. It simply takes a snapshot of your current avatar and posts it during the voting session.

But commission? You might wanna explain that, because I probably don't know much about what you're saying...

And I'd like to see your house. I like my house, too. emot-keke

#45 | Back to Top06-10-2007 10:53:34 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I'm a member of Gaia but I don't even LIKE Gaia.

For some reason though, I'm horribly compelled to have a nice avatar. (I... don't really, but that's beside the point.)

I think most of what pissed me off about Gaia was half the accursed place was little kids saying they had all these horrible problems that I'm 98% sure they were lying about, while I DO know people in real life who do. >.<

And the drama. Drama drama drama.

Gaia makes me fear the the future of the planet. Seriously.

...Maybe someone's drawing her as a commission and they need the avatar up as a reference?:confused:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#46 | Back to Top06-11-2007 12:22:25 AM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

BioKraze wrote:

A commission running, Persephone? Like in the Arena? If you have an avatar saved for the Arena, you can change it back to what it was before. It simply takes a snapshot of your current avatar and posts it during the voting session.

But commission? You might wanna explain that, because I probably don't know much about what you're saying...

And I'd like to see your house. I like my house, too. emot-keke

An avatar art commission, someone draws your avie. I do still enjoy that, I felt too lazy to upload the link onto my own server, so I just gave her the gaia link to my avie,
which changes whenever you change it.

I'm so lazy, I don't wanna take a pic of my house and upload it.
You can always check it out on gaia.
It's in 9 Barton 001970

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#47 | Back to Top06-12-2007 03:32:10 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I'm on Gaia, but I'm not a gaiafag. ya rly.

I do run a guild, though -- MiSTies of Gaia. It's quiet, though. But it's for discussion of MST3K, Asian cinema, etc. It's sooooooo lonely, tho'. XD

And someone needs to desu flood the Litterbox. (That's the Chatterbox for those who don't know. It's "Litterbox" 'cause it's full of s**t. XD )

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#48 | Back to Top06-12-2007 04:05:29 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I started a guild for gaia boob lovers, and a few months later, I turned the admin responsibilities to another member.
Guys are relentless.
I am now a part-time admin fro the Official Björk guild.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#49 | Back to Top06-12-2007 04:20:36 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

The layout of Gaia makes my eyes BURN. The little speech bubbles are cute for the first two posts, as are GIANTNORMOUS signatures, then it just gets annoying with all the scrolling. Plus so many trolls have to be unhealthy. I never joined and I never will. It's like Neopets. Neither interested me in the slightest.

#50 | Back to Top06-12-2007 06:16:39 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Actually, Pandora, you're quite close to the mark. Gaia is now essentially Neopets without the Neopets themselves. Or so I've now convinced myself. But we'll all respect your decision to stay away.

Funny, it seems almost like becoming a Gaian is getting a LiveJournal or Myspace account... emot-gonk

Board footer