This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-06-2007 02:07:58 PM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Re: Gracefully Cruel: Who is the greatest evil?

Giovanna wrote:

Jellineck wrote:

But let me see if I can put this simply...it's like putting together a thousand piece jigsaw puzzle only to find out it's that damned goatse picture (if you don't know, don't ask).

Glorious.

You and I seem to see Akio and Touga the same way, we just differ on what we take out of it. emot-keke

For me, the 'worst' character is definitely Touga. He's worse than Akio. Why? Because he is human, and it makes him capable of a redemption Akio isn't, and yet he still doesn't do it.

What!? Akio 'isn't' human? emot-confused
In the movie, I know he died, but in the series, I think Dios was just a symbol of him before acting as a prince..
(Sorry, I'm quite new here, so I'm as knowledgeable as you guys are about this anime)

@Jellineck
Right on! Nicely put in Akio..

What about Saionji? He slaps Himemiya for no reason at times.. emot-mad

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

#27 | Back to Top10-06-2007 02:23:45 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Even as a huge Anthy fan, I don't hold that against Saionji. It's not like he's the only one who does it. But he is the only one to slap her out of love! etc-love
Saionji's more of a misguided child than an evil mastermind, anyway.

Last edited by NajiMinkin (10-06-2007 02:24:54 PM)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#28 | Back to Top10-06-2007 02:39:28 PM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

I see.. Yep, just read your post too in the other thread.. XD

Oh yeah, someone posted about Anthy being numb or unconscious about being mean like wiping her glass with Akio's fiancee's scarf (forgot her name, sorry)

There are times when you feel too much of pain and too much of thousands of swords sticking in you that you cannot help but feel the whole world is cruel, and you in turn act like a jerk to people and you may pretend not to realize (Anthy's quite sharp and smart but acts too much of a doormat or pretending not knowing a thing at times or avoids it) how cruel you are by doing simple distracting things, and you also feel you've been stripped off your purpose, thus "Rose Bride" would suit her perfectly.. No matter how great an event might take place, doesn't matter to you, it will only do if it involves the one causing your pain (Thus, explains why Anthy's usual "Rose Bride" self let loose her 'real' self in her coffin when Utena reminds her of Dios)

Well, speaking from experience, that is.. blehh..

Or it could be because the girl's sleeping with her dear brother.. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Stephanie (10-06-2007 02:56:43 PM)

"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
~FMA

#29 | Back to Top10-06-2007 05:23:55 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Rae wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

As for evil as in My Least Favorite....the vast majority of the time, Utena is my least favorite character. I find her insulting in the way only someone whose intentions are well-meaning can be. I'd go on about this, but it'll sound uh...familiar.

You only get that out of a true Utena fan, huh? When I first watched/read the series, I was always rooting for her. That's supposed to be your initial reaction. Then again, after multiple viewings, I get extremely annoyed that someone like her is just so naive.

Well I'm a cynical, misanthropic bitch, so I felt that way from the beginning. But it did get worse over time, I mean I can only see her trip over Akio's advances so long before I go 'Jesus, you didn't see this coming?', and every time she suggests she knows what's best for Anthy, I want to belt her across the teeth. Even when she's (quite accidentally) right.

Stephanie wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

For me, the 'worst' character is definitely Touga. He's worse than Akio. Why? Because he is human, and it makes him capable of a redemption Akio isn't, and yet he still doesn't do it.

What!? Akio 'isn't' human? emot-confused
In the movie, I know he died, but in the series, I think Dios was just a symbol of him before acting as a prince..
(Sorry, I'm quite new here, so I'm as knowledgeable as you guys are about this anime)

Well it really depends on who you ask whether Akio is human or not. I tend not to consider Akio and Anthy humans in the strictest sense...more like a Greek/Roman diety. Susceptible to much of the same behavior, but something a little different. There's also the whole prince and witch business, which lands them in strict Jungian archetype territory, so I kinda run with the idea that Akio's supposed to be the archetypal embodiment of something, as Dios was, and is similarly unable to deviate from that role without becoming something completely different.

Stephanie wrote:

@Jellineck
Right on! Nicely put in Akio..

Oooo, go go Jellineck. I bet Akio doesn't catch for just anyone. school-devil

Stephanie wrote:

What about Saionji? He slaps Himemiya for no reason at times.. emot-mad

Saionji slaps Anthy for very very good reasons, not all of which he's aware of.

She's mean. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top10-06-2007 06:07:47 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I agree that Utena can be terribly annoying. To me it's her complete lack of understanding that gets to me. True, plenty of characters suffer from this but most have a lot of issues that alienate them from establishing empathy. Utena, on the other hand, is just clueless for the sake of being clueless. She even manages to miss the problems of those that are very close to her such as Wakaba.
The fact that she fails to guess Akio's intentions until it is too late makes me wonder whether she truly is innocent, hopelessly naïve or less than intelligent.

#31 | Back to Top10-06-2007 07:10:56 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Oh no no, I'm sorry, I wasn't being clear. I'm not saying Akio's not capable of redemption, it's more that he's so much less so. Perhaps you could put Akio on even keel with Touga if you go back to when he first turned? It seems natural to assume Akio was, at some point, about as close to redeeming himself as Touga is in the series, but by these events the odds Akio's going to go 'SHIT I'VE BEEN DOING THIS WRONG ALL ALONG. emot-frown' just seem really slim.

This is why I consider Akio to be worse than Touga. emot-confused

Nocturnalux wrote:

Utena, on the other hand, is just clueless for the sake of being clueless. She even manages to miss the problems of those that are very close to her such as Wakaba.

I think I'm the only person who gets a kick out of Utena's well intentioned blindness. Especially that scene with Wakaba and Tatsuya.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#32 | Back to Top10-06-2007 07:16:43 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Jellineck wrote:

Tamago, that picture made me spit out my drink all over the keyboard and burst my guts right through my stomach. I hope you're happy.

Sorry! I hope you're not using a laptop, replacing an entire laptop due to milk was what happened to my last laptop.

#33 | Back to Top10-06-2007 10:17:23 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ragnarok wrote:

Nocturnalux wrote:

Utena, on the other hand, is just clueless for the sake of being clueless. She even manages to miss the problems of those that are very close to her such as Wakaba.

I think I'm the only person who gets a kick out of Utena's well intentioned blindness. Especially that scene with Wakaba and Tatsuya.

I loved the scene, but I sure wouldn't like to have someone do the same thing to me.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#34 | Back to Top10-07-2007 12:33:56 AM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I agree that Utena can be terribly annoying. To me it's her complete lack of understanding that gets to me. True, plenty of characters suffer from this but most have a lot of issues that alienate them from establishing empathy. Utena, on the other hand, is just clueless for the sake of being clueless. She even manages to miss the problems of those that are very close to her such as Wakaba.
The fact that she fails to guess Akio's intentions until it is too late makes me wonder whether she truly is innocent, hopelessly naïve or less than intelligent.

The thing that cracked me up is that Nanami, of all people, saw the real situation long before Utena did. Whenever she's not around Touga (or not in a comic episode), Nanami is surprisingly frank and clear-headed. For all of her naivete, she catches onto darker things pretty easily. More obstinate than stupid.

Still, you know you're a bit thick when you make Nanami look like the sensible one.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#35 | Back to Top10-07-2007 12:48:15 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

I think I'm the only person who gets a kick out of Utena's well intentioned blindness.

You're not.  In a way, Utena's naivete powerfully underscores that her heart is always, always in the right place.  She is always trying to help and do good; she's just held back by her own tendency to take things at face value.  Her good intentions are why I love her, and the problems that arise when she acts on them just make me feel her humanity more intensely.  etc-love

#36 | Back to Top10-07-2007 10:15:17 AM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Jellineck wrote:

The thing that cracked me up is that Nanami, of all people, saw the real situation long before Utena did. Whenever she's not around Touga (or not in a comic episode), Nanami is surprisingly frank and clear-headed. For all of her naivete, she catches onto darker things pretty easily. More obstinate than stupid.

Still, you know you're a bit thick when you make Nanami look like the sensible one.

Well, with Nanami, the whole "having sex with one's brother" thing was already on her mind. emot-rolleyes I think a lot of us, if put in the same situation, wouldn't suspect anything either.

Edit: For all Utena annoys the hell out of me, it just makes me love her more.

Last edited by NajiMinkin (10-07-2007 10:15:53 AM)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#37 | Back to Top10-07-2007 10:44:06 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

I think I'm the only person who gets a kick out of Utena's well intentioned blindness.

You're not.  In a way, Utena's naivete powerfully underscores that her heart is always, always in the right place.  She is always trying to help and do good; she's just held back by her own tendency to take things at face value.  Her good intentions are why I love her, and the problems that arise when she acts on them just make me feel her humanity more intensely.  etc-love

Not only you guys, I also loved Utena as well.. n_n

Well, Mrs. Akio did say that would be your initial reaction when you first watch the series, and I only had one run so far.. Anyway, for me, she's my most fave character! I idolize her being princey! n_n

Though, there are scenes I quite get disappointed in her actions:
1.) After Touga won the competition, she realized that Anthy didn't really wanted to have friends on her 'own', and she was still just the "Rose Bride" with no will of her own and follows whatever the winner of the duel orders.. After winning Himemiya back, she just smiled and took her back home instead of asking why and demanding Himemiya for answers of her actions.. Its like she just wanted Himemiya back for her sake, for Himemiya's companion..
2.) When she slept with Akio knowing he has a finacee..

And how is Anthy evil?

There are times when you feel too much of pain and too much of thousands of swords sticking in you that you cannot help but feel the whole world is cruel, and you in turn act like a jerk to people and you may pretend not to realize (Anthy's quite sharp and smart but acts too much of a doormat or pretending not knowing a thing at times or avoids it) how cruel you are by doing simple distracting things, and you also feel you've been stripped off your purpose, thus "Rose Bride" would suit her perfectly.. No matter how great an event might take place, doesn't matter to you, it will only do if it involves the one causing your pain (Thus, explains why Anthy's usual "Rose Bride" self let loose her 'real' self in her coffin when Utena reminds her of Dios)

Her pain is compared to 1000 swords striking her.. And that's hell lot of deep darkness within.. And usually, whatever that person is going through, it's the same aura she/he emits outside to his/her environment.. You could just 'feel' the person's being.. Thus, explains her.. If she were out of her coffin, she would be different..

~FMA

#38 | Back to Top10-07-2007 05:03:03 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

While I found Utena's lack of insight to be somewhat annoying I must admit that it is necessary in the series. It's a breath of fresh air, for lack of a better term, especially if we take into consideration that in SKU events tend to be caught in perpetual repetition. Also, Utena is pretty much the one major character that lacks serious emotional conflicts which might be why she is also to perceive the world in such a simple and almost child-like way.

I think that it is very possible that Nanami saw a darker reflection of her own relationship with her brother in the blatant incest between Anthy and Akio. One of the reasons why she was so utterly shocked is due to the fact that it resonated very powerful with her situation, she suddenly saw it as something wrong and twisted.

Stephanie has a point regarding Anthy's malice or lack thereof. Her constant suffering as the Rose Bride as been internalized to the point that it alienates her completly from others. Compared to what she has gone through the pain of the rest of the cast must feel a tad trivial. One of the things that keep Anthy from becoming a likable character is that she is the living prood that victims can become manipulators and that the line between being abused and being the abuser can be very thin.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (10-07-2007 05:03:45 PM)

#39 | Back to Top10-07-2007 05:53:57 PM

Jellineck

Also, Utena is pretty much the one major character that lacks serious emotional conflicts which might be why she is also to perceive the world in such a simple and almost child-like way.

I don't see that as necessarily true. We are made to believe that for most of the series, but just as Anthy begins to gain depth and complexity, so does Utena. She's suffered quite a bit. After all, she lost her parents and has grown up quite alone. A memory of a tormented young girl lingers in the back of her mind, suppressed and painted over by a pretty image of a prince saving his princess.

This is an interesting theory on my bit, but I think Utena intentionally blots out what she sees quite subconsciously. She doesn't seem to remember the coffin incident, as she treats Touga as a complete stranger (though her confusing him with her prince may have something to do with that subconscious memory). She's adapted it as a method of survival.

Also, I don't think her innocence results from her lack of experience. It results from her being quite lonely. She trusts people because she wants to believe that they can care for her and she can do likewise (specifically Anthy and Akio). Look at Wakaba and Utena's protective affection for her. Wakaba acts in an openly caring and very motherly way. I think that Utena responds because she wants to feel cared for, and she acts so protective because she wants to prevent another disaster like the death of her parents.

As for Akio, I firmly believe she also perceived him as a father figure of sorts. Or at least someone to take care of her. In the end, she has to decide between being cared for (Akio) or caring (Anthy). I see her as very strong for choosing the latter, as well as enduring yet more tragedy from those she trusts with strength and dignity.

That said, that's why I like her sometimes and dislike her others. Towards the ends of the series, she has to be one of the most interesting characters of all. For people like me, it just takes time for that development.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#40 | Back to Top10-08-2007 12:51:22 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Since Utena's parents died, it's practically normal she'll look for a family in her friends, say Wakaba, Anthy and Akio.. They're all she's close to, other than that, she's got nothing left to feel where she belongs to that's why she fought for Wakaba's sake in Saionji to protect her friend.

Also, after watching Nanji's funny Utena videos, I realized one more reason why I dislike Utena:
3.) The scene where Saionji slapped Anthy even though Utena is wedded to her, after that event, Utena said, "I'm gonna lose purposely to Saionji" to Anthy.. And after seeing what he just did to her.. o_O

(-__-)"

~FMA

#41 | Back to Top10-08-2007 01:34:11 AM

Jellineck

3.) The scene where Saionji slapped Anthy even though Utena is wedded to her, after that event, Utena said, "I'm gonna lose purposely to Saionji" to Anthy.. And after seeing what he just did to her.. o_O

Yep. That also stuck out to me. I think that was quite odd considering her morals, and I've never really been able to figure out why she did that. I love those videos, by the way.

#42 | Back to Top10-08-2007 03:05:00 AM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Hmm, all this talk of Utena has given me an idea - what if Akio and Anthy aren't the only ones caught in their Jungian Archetypal roles?

I mean, really, Utena is the Child (or perhaps Puella Aeturnus), and a Sacrificial Hero. She's an innocent, trusting, naive, all the things that piss us off most emot-wink. Just as Anthy is tightly bound to her position as Witch, and Akio to his as the Devil (to an extent. I'm still not sure how best to classify him), Utena is caught up in the role that she is certain her existence has for her.
Thus, her almost willful ignorance throughout the series, that inability to look beyond the surface and the simple solution, is an expression of her desire to remain within this valiant, foolish role. She can't be capable of understanding the emotional intricacies and hang-ups of the people around her, nor can she be aware of Akio's intention, because to behave as such would mean that she is not the role she wants to play.

This also explains the carousel scene and Utena's sudden return to the battle. She has begun to doubt her desires, begun to realise that this role is not the only one she may occupy. When she is struck down by Anthy, that ultimate betrayal of the noble Hero by the Witch, she also confronts her behaviour. The cyclical and gaudy carousel, the shadowy Dios, these elements all indicate that her ideals are shrouded in memory altered for convenience, that the reality she has based her role on is much more complex than what she believed it to be.
So she makes a decision, and breaks her archetypal duties in order to make something of the emotional connection she shares with Anthy, to give her freedom if she can.

This would be why she apologises for "playing prince" for so long. She has become aware of her place as a real person beyond the limits of a single aspect of identification, and is thus crushed by the swords, which are perhaps a metaphor more for the existential ache of awareness than they are truly a symbol of human spite.

This would make more sense if I was a bit more awake, I think.

#43 | Back to Top10-08-2007 03:37:16 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Nicely put Almaser *salutes!*
I think everyone was playing a role in this series as some archetypal figure.. Most notable is, of course, the witch, the prince and Akio's role (whatever that is, lol.. I can't put afinger on what to call it either)

I mean, really, Utena is the Child (or perhaps Puella Aeturnus), and a Sacrificial Hero. She's an innocent, trusting, naive, all the things that piss us off most emot-wink. Just as Anthy is tightly bound to her position as Witch, and Akio to his as the Devil (to an extent. I'm still not sure how best to classify him), Utena is caught up in the role that she is certain her existence has for her.
Thus, her almost willful ignorance throughout the series, that inability to look beyond the surface and the simple solution, is an expression of her desire to remain within this valiant, foolish role. She can't be capable of understanding the emotional intricacies and hang-ups of the people around her, nor can she be aware of Akio's intention, because to behave as such would mean that she is not the role she wants to play.

Also, I remember from the Director's commentary:

Kunihiko Ikuhara wrote:

00:25:05,918 --> 00:25:11,754
I thought it was interesting
to create a fantastic world...

00:25:11,824 --> 00:25:15,316
where a girl plays
the part of a prince...

00:25:15,561 --> 00:25:22,763
since there are no true princes
remaining in that world.

00:25:42,422 --> 00:25:48,190
The meaning of this I can't
really say in one word...

00:25:48,261 --> 00:25:52,698
but one way to look at it is that...

00:25:52,765 --> 00:26:01,070
I wanted to convey the sense of
what it means to become an adult.

00:26:01,340 --> 00:26:07,279
In other words, there are no people
with pure hearts...

00:26:07,346 --> 00:26:12,306
in the world of adults.

So, maybe that is why Utena keeps her heart pure? And she is conveyed as a child, innocent and naive.. And still has a lot to catch of in her noodles in understanding the emotions of other people around her..

Also reminds me of Miki, on his 2nd duel with Utena.. His sister called him a coward, not ready to become unpure..

Well, just looking from the director's perspective, that is..

~FMA

#44 | Back to Top10-08-2007 07:01:54 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Jellineck wrote:

Also, Utena is pretty much the one major character that lacks serious emotional conflicts which might be why she is also to perceive the world in such a simple and almost child-like way.

I don't see that as necessarily true. We are made to believe that for most of the series, but just as Anthy begins to gain depth and complexity, so does Utena. She's suffered quite a bit. After all, she lost her parents and has grown up quite alone. A memory of a tormented young girl lingers in the back of her mind, suppressed and painted over by a pretty image of a prince saving his princess.

This is an interesting theory on my bit, but I think Utena intentionally blots out what she sees quite subconsciously. She doesn't seem to remember the coffin incident, as she treats Touga as a complete stranger (though her confusing him with her prince may have something to do with that subconscious memory). She's adapted it as a method of survival.

Also, I don't think her innocence results from her lack of experience. It results from her being quite lonely. She trusts people because she wants to believe that they can care for her and she can do likewise (specifically Anthy and Akio). Look at Wakaba and Utena's protective affection for her. Wakaba acts in an openly caring and very motherly way. I think that Utena responds because she wants to feel cared for, and she acts so protective because she wants to prevent another disaster like the death of her parents.

As for Akio, I firmly believe she also perceived him as a father figure of sorts. Or at least someone to take care of her. In the end, she has to decide between being cared for (Akio) or caring (Anthy). I see her as very strong for choosing the latter, as well as enduring yet more tragedy from those she trusts with strength and dignity.

That said, that's why I like her sometimes and dislike her others. Towards the ends of the series, she has to be one of the most interesting characters of all. For people like me, it just takes time for that development.

You do have a point. I shall re-phrase my position: Utena issues do not have an operative value in that she is not caught up in them as the rest of the cast. In other words, she has indeed suffered quite a bit but she believes, during most of the series at least, that finding her prince has paved a road for rising above herself. While the rest of the cast is either desperate to find a way of overcome some inner flaw or too desperate to believe that such a thing can even happen, Utena is in a different position in that she already has had "her miracle" and "her shining thing" in the form of her prince. Of course we know that this is a construction of her part, that her memories contradict the princely ideal of Dios, but during most of the series Utena is unaware of this herself, at least in a conscious level.
Regarding her loneliness, I agree that Utena seems to have led a rather lonely life and that she craves affection. Many a time she states how she would like to know how family bonds feel, mainly those between parent and child and between siblings. It is ironic because the situations she seems to envy are considerably dark and full emotional breakdowns of which she is oblivious. It might be because she is so unattached that she escapes from the hangups of the rest of the cast, in SKU as in real life is often the case, one is hurt the most by those closest to one.

I agree that Utena sees Akio as a fatherly figure, he sets himself to be perceived as such.

Almaser stated what I wanted to say but never got around to actually typing, Utena is set on remaining innocent through and through which means she cannot equate messy emotional situations in which "right" and "wrong" are so blurred that it becomes difficult to tell them apart.

As to the question of whether Utena fulfils her role as the prince or goes counter it by reaching out to Anthy I have yet to decide. Perhaps what is needed is a new kind of prince, not one who is flawless and innocent- it seems clear that by the end of the series Utena has seriously compromised herself with her entanglement with Akio- but one is bent on trying his/her best despite all the flaws that being human irrevocably carries.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (10-08-2007 07:06:48 PM)

#45 | Back to Top10-08-2007 11:19:01 PM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

She is unaware of most of the emotional troubles other people go through because, I believe, all her life she was quite alone, therefore unattached.. She kind of traveled on her on boat alone that she is dense when it comes to relationship matters and sensing how others feel.

~FMA

#46 | Back to Top10-11-2007 04:21:01 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

About Saionji:

CHIHO-HIME: Utena refers to the flower petal...

CHIHO-HIME: Anthy is Greek for the flower that's supported by those petals.

MODERATOR: <Akio-no-Miko> What were the thoughts behind the character Saionji

CHIHO-HIME: He probably is a representative of the old fashioned Japanese male.

So, tada! The real reason why he slaps Anthy, that mean male! emot-mad

~FMA

#47 | Back to Top10-11-2007 07:10:41 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Stephanie wrote:

God, I hope that means he's into shibari. etc-wankgirl
(I guess Saito and Ikuhara don't much approve of traditional Japanese culture!)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#48 | Back to Top10-11-2007 07:24:43 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

God, I hope that means he's into shibari. etc-wankgirl
(I guess Saito and Ikuhara don't much approve of traditional Japanese culture!)

I had to look that one up on Wikipedia emot-smile  It says there that shibari is less than a century old, though -- which by Japanese standards makes it a young upstart, certainly not traditional.  (By contrast, tentacle porn dates back to at least 1820, and I think I remember seeing a tentacle porn statuette dated to before that; oiran, the prostitutes most of us mistakenly call geisha, were around as early as 1600.)

So Saionji may not be into bondage, but he likes tentacle porn and loves prostitutes!  emot-biggrin

#49 | Back to Top10-16-2007 06:44:21 PM

RodimusBen
Wakaba Wrangler

Evil is a strong word. The only character I see as truly evil in the show is Akio. However, his evil is not even really his fault because he represents the dark half of a whole. I can be pretty sure that is my good and bad sides split into two people, the bad side would be pretty evil.

The rest of the cast are just misguided, immature, selfish, and any number of other adjectives. These are human traits that I hesitate to call "evil." Even the abusive Saionji, who I tend to dislike as a character, is someone you come to understand by learning his background story. And that's what's great about Utena, really. The fact that you understand where everyone is coming from, and hence why they behave the way they do, makes it hard to call anyone evil.

I believe God made me for a purpose. But he also made me fast. And when I run... I feel His pleasure. - Chariots of Fire

#50 | Back to Top10-16-2007 07:57:06 PM

Jellineck

As to the question of whether Utena fulfils her role as the prince or goes counter it by reaching out to Anthy I have yet to decide. Perhaps what is needed is a new kind of prince, not one who is flawless and innocent- it seems clear that by the end of the series Utena has seriously compromised herself with her entanglement with Akio- but one is bent on trying his/her best despite all the flaws that being human irrevocably carries.

I am of the theory that Utena never attained princehood: rather, she did something far more powerful. She realized that the strength she was seeking did not come from a fantasy ideal. But rather, from being a friend and a person content with her place. Her relationship with Akio could be seen as contamination, as I would imagine Anthy inerprets it, but it also allows her to perceive reality. Unlike other characters, she does not create fantasies to keep her mired in her old world. She becomes more down-to-earth and realistic towards the end of the series. Others describe it as "turning into a normal girl" or "becoming more girlish". In truth, she is just making the transition between a naive girl and a mature wiser woman. In other words, she is slowly breaking out of her own coffin.

I interpret that infamous ending line, "I guess I couldn't be your prince after all", as partial defeat and partial acceptance of her role as a friend, not as a fantasy savior. This transition confuses others because, arguably, she is the strongest character in the series. No matter the loss of her childhood dream, she remains focused on her love of her childhood friend.

But still, despite all this, she sometimes pisses me off just a tad. Otherwise, she's one of the few main characters I actually like. I usually despise main characters. Kudos to this series for having a protagonist as fascinating as the secondary characters.

Board footer