This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top06-13-2008 11:28:44 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Re: The Manga Thread

Recently, I've been obsessing over Please Save My Earth. I'm up to volume 15, which blew my mind as far as my opinion of Mokuren was concerned. She's pretty annoyingly Mary-Sue until that volume, and then she still is, but in a different, more likeable way. Then I had to reread all the Mokuren flashbacks before then, but that still doesn't change my ambivalence to certain spoiler-heavy things that happened to her (and chiefly her reaction to them)

#77 | Back to Top06-13-2008 08:06:35 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I finally finished off Angel Sanctuary yesterday.  Pretty cool story, although a bit too convoluted and rambling in parts.  I wish she'd gone with the tragic ending instead, I didn't like that everything just sort of ends up hunky dory.  Way too many characters getting resurrected for my tastes as well.  But still, it was certainly a very vividly imagined story that had more intricacies than I'm used to seeing.  Not a favorite, but most certainly worth the read--and perhaps worth another one as well.

#78 | Back to Top06-14-2008 04:03:05 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Angel Sanctuary will always be my favorite manga series. etc-love

Reading it all so close together, I can definately see how the resurrection could become a little much. I adored Kato (or Katou) with all my heart, but after the 7th time or so, I wished he would stay dead. But, I suppose when you have a story that moves from Earth to Hades to Hell to Heaven, it's not completely unusual to see a dead character pop up, since... well, since they're still not technically alive again. But his final death really touches me, so I let him off the hook. (As expected, I'm a Kira/Kato fan, but the pairing is awfully neglected. Kira/Setsuna seems much more popular, though I have a hard time seeing how any AS fan can pair Setsuna with someone other than Sara, considering that their relationship is a pretty vital point to the storyline. And that's coming from a yaoi fangirl.)

I also agree that I would have liked to see the tragic ending, but I'm pretty happy with the ending as is. I remember buying the very first volume once it was released here. Every few months, when a new volume finally appeared, I rushed out to buy it. I must have been collecting that series for about 4 years. So I guess I was pretty on edge, and in hindsight, had the ending not been a happy one, I probably would have freaked. They suffered enough throughout the 20 volumes for my taste, so I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for everyone.

If it's any consolation, nearly none of my favorite characters had a happy ending. Lailah, Belial, Arachne, Kato, Astaroth, Rosiel, Barbello... each had a fairly unfortunate end. Especially poor Lailah! emot-frown My heart weeps for her.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#79 | Back to Top06-14-2008 04:50:36 PM

Mylene

dollface wrote:

If it's any consolation, nearly none of my favorite characters had a happy ending. Lailah, Belial, Arachne, Kato, Astaroth, Rosiel, Barbello... each had a fairly unfortunate end. Especially poor Lailah! emot-frown My heart weeps for her.

Kato had a happy ending though, in a sense.  I don't remember seeing anything happen to Belial though--that was the Mad Hatter, right?  I was always rather fond of him/her.

My favorite characters were Kato, Kurai, and Sara-as-SPOILERJibril.  When Sara wasn't SPOILERJibril I didn't really like her all that well, but when she was, she was pretty awesome.  Oooo! I nearly forgot Riru (aka Lil...they switched between the two names a few times) and Doll.  I also rather liked Uriel, although he never fully made sense to me.  Oh, and Arachne, Arachne was AWESOME.  Kira was okay, but a bit too much like Setsuna for my tastes.  The characters that were too much one way or another (like Setsuna, Rosiel, and Sephy) just never really appealed to me.  But those that tend to have fairly well balanced personalities I really liked.

I also really liked Sara's friend at the beginning of the series...

I can't really see a Kira/Setsuna pairing.  Kira/Alexiel, sure.  Heck, I could even seen Kira/Kato.  But I agree that Setsuna with anyone but Sara is a little off--unless it's Kurai.  Secretly, I held onto a little thread of hope for that throughout the entire series, even though it was pretty darn obvious that no matter what, Sara would be his choice, even if they both ended up dying at the end of the series or something.

#80 | Back to Top06-14-2008 05:09:06 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Mylene wrote:

The characters that were too much one way or another just never really appealed to me.

Oh, I agree. I like to have a balance, generally. I can't help loving Rosiel, though. To be honest, even though he was beautiful and crazy (two traits I really can't resist, no matter how cliche they are), I didn't care that much for him until about half way into the series. It was refreshing to see someone who wasn't actually evil-crazy, but flat out insane to begin with. And his past is just so very sad to me.

I also wasn't a big fan of Sevothtarte to begin with, but when I found out he was really Lailah, I was in shock! She became my favorite character quickly, despite all the love I'd built up for other characters.

Ah, I also loved Doll, and Riru. They were just so sweet... actually, if it weren't for Riru, I would never have really liked Sara that much. I definately don't dislike her, but I could easily cast her aside. I was upset at her for throwing Riru into harm's way, but when she went back for her, I was overjoyed. Better late than never...

Mentioning Doll also reminds me, I really liked Kirie, despite the fact that most people didn't.

Mylene wrote:

I also really liked Sara's friend at the beginning of the series...

Ruri Saiki. emot-smile She was a rather unfortunate character as well.

Ah, this is just turning into a post for me to gush over which characters I like. For me, SKU is to anime what Angel Sanctuary is to manga.

Edit:

Mylene wrote:

dollface wrote:

Kato had a happy ending though, in a sense.  I don't remember seeing anything happen to Belial though--that was the Mad Hatter, right?  I was always rather fond of him/her.

Yes, Belial was the Mad Hatter. What I meant was that none of my favorites really ended up happy, per se. In comparison to Sara and Setsuna's ending, most of my favorites got a little cheated. Kato does get a bittersweet ending, in my opinion, so I suppose he is an exception.

Editted again to add that Kato's life ended rather unfortunately. The boy was messed up on drugs, was possessed, got involved in a fight that wasn't even his own, and ended up dying at the age of 17. As far as his time actually living on Earth was concerned, Kato never seemed to have a moment of happiness. In later volumes, when you see his homelife, it was no wonder the boy ended up being such a punk.

Last edited by dollface (06-14-2008 06:49:06 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#81 | Back to Top07-07-2008 09:48:19 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Mishi wrote:

Recently, I've been obsessing over Please Save My Earth. I'm up to volume 15, which blew my mind as far as my opinion of Mokuren was concerned. She's pretty annoyingly Mary-Sue until that volume, and then she still is, but in a different, more likeable way. Then I had to reread all the Mokuren flashbacks before then, but that still doesn't change my ambivalence to certain spoiler-heavy things that happened to her (and chiefly her reaction to them)

Got volume 16.

My overall opinion of the story still hasn't changed, but I'm too amused to care. It's all Mokuren flashbacks, and it's really funny how a different perspective changes EVERYTHING. Dramatic irony abounds. Mokuren meets Shion for the first time about halfway through the volume, and it's heartbreakingly hilarious how not only does she immediately develop a crush on him (she thinks he's sexy) but she ALSO thinks he has a gentle smile. Of course, having previously read the same scene from his perspective, I know the bitter thoughts he is thinking as he smiles that 'gentle' smile.

From Shion's perspective, I didn't feel very sorry for Mokuren, even though I knew and highly disapproved of his attitude. Of course, knowing that Mokuren loved Shion all along just makes the impending rape even more tragic.

Last edited by Mishi (08-12-2008 03:33:38 PM)

#82 | Back to Top07-07-2008 02:41:52 PM

Himeohji Kagaya
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

has no one mentioned Clamp's Clover yet?  emot-frown
Wish is rather good too, though i've only read the first three volumes.  on a much darker note, X seems to have the potential to be good...though after many years i've still only read the first four volumes.  i like Card Captor Sakura too.
currently reading Black Cat.  also some American comics (Sandman, Y: the last man, and Ex Machina)

#83 | Back to Top07-07-2008 03:27:09 PM

Mylene

I've got the first 3 volumes of Wish waiting to be read.

But today I started MARS.  Wow.  I'm only halfway through the first volume and already I'm completely in love with the series!  Two likable main characters?  It's almost unbelievable.

#84 | Back to Top07-07-2008 05:13:55 PM

Himeohji Kagaya
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

...i foolishly forgot Rozen Maiden.  how could i?
also Bleach, Naruto, and Hikaru no Go <--etc-love

#85 | Back to Top07-10-2008 04:13:15 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Holy shit! I just found out that Conan just hit Chapter 657!! How long do they intend to continue with this?! emot-aaa

#86 | Back to Top07-11-2008 04:12:59 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Hmm, I find the biggest problem with most manga is that the wirters don't know when to stop.

Take Kill Me, Kiss Me.  The first volume is great; the art is interesting, if a little like an over-decorated cake at times, and it was purely hilarious.  I actually liked Tae, I mean, she was a fangirl.  And the entire plot was done up nice, neat, and cute in one volume.

The four other volumes? *barf*  Basically, a new character is introduced, so randomly that she is damned-near OC-like in nature, and the story then pretty much makes her the main character, and gooey drama ensues for three more volumes, in which a bad guy is introduced, but then, oh, you find out that the bad guys weren't so bad after all and everyone is in love and some yaoi is thrown in there not as a hilarious anecdote like it was in the first volume, but more like a cheap and overzealous potshot.

That's why I'm nervous about reading more of Tramps Like Us.  It's one of my favorites, but I've only read the first volume, and now I find out that there are eleven more.  I'm worried that it will be consumed by unnescessary drama, characters, and love triangles, and the plot will move in annoying circles, and...well, damn.....romance plots really shouldn't be stretched.

LOOKING AT YOU, FRUITS BASKET.

Oh, and someone mentioned the Kingdom Hearts Manga? I've read the COM series and the first volume of Kingdom Hearts 2.  The art style is cute and bold, though some scratchy-looking parts make you wonder if the artist was simply too lazy to make certain panels/faces/parts look better.  The story is extrememly condensed and fast-moving, a good thing in most respects,since a few of the Disney-worlds I could care less about, except when it cuts out lovely time with character's such as the Castle Oblivion Crew, whom I love, and instead gives additonal face-time to the Sora-Donald-Goofy friendship thing.  Don't get me wrong, Donald and Goofy own HARD, but the Oblivion Nobodies own HARDER.

It's also neat to see the Organization in full-on manga style, and Marluxia in particular makes the transition quite nicely.  Shoujo rose-motif, anyone?

Axel not-so-much, even though the artist was kind enough to slip in the barest hint of yaoi-ness in there for the AkuRoku fangirls (IF YOU SQUINT).  Even a kind of sweet ZexLex moment that was rather sad. ;_;

And Vexen is turned into badly-drawn comic relief. emot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mad STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Manga Hades rules, btw).

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (07-16-2008 09:29:44 PM)

#87 | Back to Top07-13-2008 09:42:19 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Yuu Yuu Hakusho
By Yoshihiro Togashi

For fans of the well-loved anime.
It has gratuitous violence of course.

Kakan No Madonna
By Chiho Saitou

A tale of romance and political intrigue.
Cesare Borgia is mine though. *snerks*

Mou Hitori No Marionette
By Chiho Saitou

Psychological drama, and modern day romance.

Gin No Ookami
By Chiho Saitou

A compilation of 5 different stories from psychological and historical drama to fantastical romance.

Patariro: Genji Monogatari
By Maya Mineo

A parody of the 12th century novel by Murasaki Shikibu. If you've seen the anime and have been a fan, you'll love to hate the little prince Patariro. Bancoran, on the other hand, is mine of course. *chuckles*

Black Blood Brothers Ver.C
By Azano Kouhei/Akitsugu Fujino + Satoru Yonekura

SENSUAL COMIC VAMPIRE HATE/LOVE WAR IN GORGEOUS ART. 'nuff said.

( I've finished reading Yuu Yuu Hakusho; I have yet to finish the rest. etc-love )

Last edited by Seitokaichou (07-13-2008 09:45:42 PM)

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#88 | Back to Top07-15-2008 02:49:18 PM

Himeohji Kagaya
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

oh, i etc-love Fruits Basket!  also currently into Mahou Sensei Negima.

#89 | Back to Top07-15-2008 04:09:24 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I found a copy of Battle Royale today at Half-Price Books. Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn. emot-aaa

I know, I know, I was warned.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#90 | Back to Top07-16-2008 07:49:56 PM

Mylene

I finished up Mars today.  I really enjoyed how Soryo didn't use the usual plot devices to drive the story.  I really enjoyed the darker nature of it all.  The ending felt a little flat for me, compared to the rest, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Except for the fact that volumes 10-14 all had at least one page torn out of them! emot-mad  What the hell is up with that?  Who tears pages out of library books?

#91 | Back to Top07-22-2008 12:07:17 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm reading the manga adaptation of Labyrinth, Return to the Labyrinth.

First off, I felt kind of tricked by this manga, since I bought it online and didn't get a chance to see any of the pages online, I was just on a Labyrinth kick and wanted to feed my inner fangirl.  Anyway, all I saw was the coverart, which is truly, undeniably gorgeous artwork.  Maybe I should have looked into a bit more closely, since the artist who made the cover-art is not the same person who did the art for the rest of the manga.  Instead of the gorgeous stuff you see on the cover, the actual manga's artwork is better than what Christopher Hart pumps out, but still very rip-off americanized manga horror.  Thankfully, the art does improve noticably in the second volume, and the backgrounds are nice and detailed, a nice surprise when most American manga is very plain and simple, with little variation in line-width and loads of unused space.

In addition, the artwork is bearable becuase more than half of the character's in it aren't human, they're goblins and other funny little creatures, so they're supposed to be ugly.  But don't get your hopes up, Toby and Jareth look horrible in the first volume, which is blow to the expected mythical bishie-ness of David Bowie.

Okay, on to the story and writing.  In short, it takes place after the events in the movie, and Sarah's baby brother Toby has grown into a teenager.  All this time, Jareth and his minions have been watching over him, granting him wishes and keeping him happy, planning for him to one day rejoin them as the heir to the Goblin King's throne.  The thing is, no one has told Toby any of this, and Jareth's intereference often does him more harm than good, and when he finally does make it into the Labyrinth, it is with confusion and ill feelings all around.  Lots and Lots of new character's are introduced, and with the exception of Moppet, a painfully unoriginal female lead who is just so obviously destined to be a love interest for Toby with a sad and mysterious past that is more convienent than anything, they are all hilarious and colorful.

While I do feel that the writer mis-interpreted a lot of the things in Labyrinth, and mis-pegged some characters --The stepmom is made out to be a horrible horrible bitch, which she never was in the movie (Sarah was just an overreacting little drama queen), and Jareth's lingering tragic and unexplained love for Sarah is laughable -- I still recommend it to anyone who has seen the movie, since despite it's flaws, it is one very wonderful thing:

Funny as hell.

Seriously, I laughed out loud at some parts.  The humour is at times just as whimsical and sideways as the original movie, and at others pure mockery of itself and the characters.  It seriously makes reading it worthwhile.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (07-22-2008 12:11:18 AM)

#92 | Back to Top07-28-2008 12:28:30 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I've been reading DearS. I love the fanservice (being a perv explains it...) and I laughed a LOT. I've gotten to Volume 7 and it's not quite as funny, but it's getting quite good far as plot goes. Mitsuka-sensei is now my personal idol and I rather like Nia, but I have the feeling that most would call her a sterotypical neko girl (...which she is, but still...)

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#93 | Back to Top07-28-2008 04:43:15 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

I etc-love sensual phrase.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#94 | Back to Top08-12-2008 02:35:51 PM

Mylene

Has anyone here read Chibi Vampire (aka Karin)?  The YA librarian at my library knows I'm a manga fan, so she was asking me if it would be "safe" for the collection.  So, how tame or untame is it?  Our collection includes such series as MARS, Evangelion (and the Angelic Days retelling), Ah! My Goddess, and the typical Naruto and Bleach

Is there much (any?) nudity in it?  Clearly some is okay, given that we have MARS in the collection, but I think she's trying to avoid any upset parents.  I haven't read it yet myself, so I thought I'd get some input.

Also, how does she give blood to her victims?  Does it also involve the typical vampire bite, or is something else done?

Thanks for any help!

#95 | Back to Top08-12-2008 05:56:19 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Well, I haven't read it, so I went to see if I could find it online. Based on the first chapter, there's no nudity and no blood. It looks very cutesy-shoujo-ish, so I don't think it'll get especially sexual or gory. Or at least it does compared to Evangelion.

And yes, she gives the blood through the standard biting technique.

Like I said, though, I only read the first chapter, so if anyone else has read the whole thing, feel free to correct me.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#96 | Back to Top08-12-2008 07:54:58 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

When I was in 8th grade, the second volume of Fruits Basket had just been released in America. I wish they would finish releasing it, already. There's only a few more left to go.

The plot really is incredible at this point in the series, so I no longer feel guilty about suddenly liking Akito in the manga when I didn't like him the series. Oh, poor Akito, you've been the victim of an anime created before the manga was finished, and thus, they came up with an ending that did your character no justice whatsoever.

Have I mentioned the other series I was reading yet? I finished Kashimashi, and while I loved it at first, the plot changed half way through the third book in such a way that I completely lost interest. I still like it, though. Voiceful was a very nice story, and what I love most is that it was only one book long. Mangas don't have to always be a 20+ books long to be good. Voiceful was just fine as it is.

#97 | Back to Top08-13-2008 01:10:38 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I started reading DNAngel. I had forgotten how kooky it was. I plan on reading Initial D after finishing what the library has.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#98 | Back to Top08-20-2008 02:26:13 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

I recently purchased the complete manga set ( 2 books ) of Oniisama e.
Vintage art is always beautifully nostalgic, and I can't get enough of Rei Asaka.

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#99 | Back to Top08-20-2008 02:58:30 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I'm currently reading Hana-Kimi. I can't stand the main character at all!

#100 | Back to Top08-20-2008 04:27:00 PM

Mylene

I read the first two volumes of Oh! My Goddess this weekend.  The art really surprised me, as I didn't realize the anime had varied so much from the manga in the character designs.  Belldandy looks kind of weird, and Keiichi looks kind of chunky.  Still, it's quite funny, and it seems Belldandy (at least currently) has a bit more spunk than she did in the OAV (can't remember the movie and haven't seen the television series yet.)

I'm also working on xxxHOLiC volume 11.  Can't wait to get more, I rather like this series.  Last night I curled up in bed in watched 4 straight episodes of the anime (DVD 3).  I haven't done that in quite awhile. emot-keke

Board footer