This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-08-2006 09:20:47 AM

ExpositionFairy
Touga Topper
Website

Things to Do With One's Body (non-IFD edition)

So, aside from the obvious...what do y'all do with your bodies here?  Sports?  Martial arts?  Yoga?  Cycling?  Horseback riding?  Trapeze artistry?  Competitive loafing?  Speed-reading?

I've always been mostly hopeless at sports, especially anything involving a ball, but at age 10 I discovered martial arts and suddenly it was a whole different ballgame (pun intended).  Today, I hold the rank of sandan (third-degree black belt) in Aikido, ikkyu (brown belt) in Judo, shodan (first-degree black belt) in Kendo, and shodan in Eishin-Ryu Iaido.  For those of you who're unfamiliar, Iaido is the prettier, non-contact flip side of Kendo, based entirely in kata and practiced with a bokken or iaito (a lightweight katana without a cutting edge) rather than a shinai.  At some point I'll put up a "Kendo and Iaido for Fic Writers and Saionji Fans" thread on the SKU board, when I've got a bit more time, if anyone's curious.  I also put some pics up on the Forum Members in Suits thread of me looking vaguely goofy in my Kendo and Iaido uniforms.  Aikido, I've been practicing since I was 10, Judo since I was 16, and Kendo and Iaido for the last six years.  Sadly, I'm rather out of practice in Judo, since I wasn't able to find another dojo I was comfortable in after I moved to San Francisco.  The dojo I'm at right now, at the Japanese Community and Cultural Center in San Francisco's Nihonmachi district, teaches Aikido, Kendo, Iaido, and Taiko drumming, which I would love to learn if I had the time.

Aside from the martial arts, I like to swim, water immersion being a sensory obsession of mine.  Particularly hot water.  I have an entirely unhealthy affection for jaccuzis and deep deep bathtubs.  Would that Americans had baths like the Japanese... ::sigh::

- Leah, who probably could kick ass with a broom.

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door...I had to find my passage back to the place I was before.  "Relax," said the night man, "We are programmed to recieve.  You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave!"

#2 | Back to Top12-08-2006 10:53:53 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Re: Things to Do With One's Body (non-IFD edition)

ExpositionFairy wrote:

Today, I hold the rank of sandan (third-degree black belt) in Aikido

*PWNED*

I'm 8th kyu (Yoshokai style), but then, I've only been studying since last September.  My university offers classes, but I might have to join a different dojo next year because I may not be able to fit the class into my schedule.  I like aikido because no one's kicking the crap out of each other... they're just throwing each other across the room.  emot-biggrin

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#3 | Back to Top12-08-2006 11:10:11 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

ExpositionFairy wrote:

At some point I'll put up a "Kendo and Iaido for Fic Writers and Saionji Fans" thread on the SKU board

Please also a Kendo thread for those of us who seriously want to take it. (I did way before Saionji came along so shut up.) I'm not going to live in Florida forever and I'd really like to take it up once I'm within 30 miles of a reputable place to learn. I took a Korean martial art for a while when I was younger and I was actually very good at it... I quit because my instructor kept pressuring me to compete and I really didn't want to.

But it sounds like you've been all over the map. An information thread would make me bunches of happy. emot-keke I'd really love to take a martial art or two down the line, but I haven't had the opportunity to speak with many people who actually have and can tell me about the ones they've taken.

For now, I'm a competitive sit-on-my-asser. But I get to blame it on medical problems. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top12-08-2006 01:57:52 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Jesus christ you guys.

Shodan in Aikido (This board has a weird pattern) and I studied Capoeira for three years but our school didn't have any official rope rankings so I don't know what I'd hold. I'd love to get back into it but there aren't any schools around here these days and I've been in too much pain. I've also been a pretty avid archer since I was 11 and my bicycle is my main mode of transportation.

That's, uh, it. I used to play scrum half in rugby in highschool but I cared so little about that that I forgot the name of my position and spent the last fifteen minutes looking it up.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#5 | Back to Top12-08-2006 03:00:52 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Tennis, Track & Field, Dancing . But I really like tennis, I've liked it since I was younger. I wanted to sign up for fencing, because during Tennis while I was tennis captain (emot-dance ) my tennis instructor actually recommended I take up fencing , because I had
"nice" form.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#6 | Back to Top12-08-2006 03:10:43 PM

ExpositionFairy
Touga Topper
Website

Please also a kendo thread for those of us who seriously want to take it.

Your wish is my command!  Are there specific kinds of things you'd like to know about?  I'll try and come up with a good general outline, and also post some links to resources, like how to find local dojos and where to buy equipment (online is your best and sometimes only bet, and I know of at least two really good online stores.) 

For now I'm a competitive sit-on-my-asser.  But I get to blame it on medical problems. cool

Boy do I hear you there.  I was a lump for a rather large chunk of 2005 after my always unstable health took a hard dive.  Made me nuts (well, more so than I already am), because I really can't stand not being able to do some kind of regular physical activity, and getting back into shape this year was murderemot-mad  I also missed my nidan exams in Iaido, and you only get to test up once a year.  But hopefully I'll make it this February!

and I studied Capoeira for three years but our school didn't have any official rope rankings so I don't know what I'd hold.

Ooh!  Capoeira!  I love watching it.  Do you know how the ranking systems actually work?  I've always been curious.

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door...I had to find my passage back to the place I was before.  "Relax," said the night man, "We are programmed to recieve.  You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave!"

#7 | Back to Top12-08-2006 03:15:07 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

From what I understand it's pretty belt based, only the belts are called corda or ropes. The colour of said ropes seems to vary from school to school (from what I've read)

But there are some awesome ceremonies you get to take part in in various levels. I got to do the baptism and that was just about the highlight of my studying.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#8 | Back to Top12-08-2006 05:03:08 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I know Karate and several other Japanese words emot-wink

But seriously, I have tried my hand at a number of sports over the years including fencing, kendo, wrestling, squash, field hockey and even fulsal but because of situations like cost, gender bias, moving house or in the case of fencing, not been able to see the foil at all, when I put the mask on, I havent been able to stay in any one sport for too long

#9 | Back to Top12-08-2006 05:42:11 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm horrible at just about any sport that involves hitting a ball, with the exception of soccer.

Skiing is my best sport. Everyone in my family skis, so I started learning it at a young age. (My older brother moved to Montana, because apparently the mountains where we live aren't big enough. I have a picture of him jumping off a small cliff on skies hanging in my room.) Though I'm not a good enough skier to jump off cliffs, I am pretty good at it.

I know where this is going to sound as though it's coming from, but I've always wanted to learn how to fence, even before I discovered Utena.

#10 | Back to Top12-08-2006 06:46:45 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Tamago wrote:

But karate isn't a Japanese word, is it?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#11 | Back to Top12-08-2006 08:23:54 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Tamago wrote:

But karate isn't a Japanese word, is it?

It(Karate) has become a Japanese word and it has been for quite some time now, the fact that the word originally came from Okinawa is another matter, after most of the words in the English language originaly came from Latin with the rest originating from the French, German and all sorts of other languages, as long as a word has become part of that language's lexicon, it belongs to that language as well.

Take the word Angst for instance, just 20 years ago, it was considered a handy German word and not considered part of the English language but nowdays it has been absorbed into the English lexicon and is now an English word as well. 

Karate has been part of the Japanese language for longer than anyone living remembers so it certainly is a Japanese word... so there!
emot-keke emot-keke emot-keke

EDIT: Fixed a few grammar errors

Last edited by Tamago (12-09-2006 12:02:39 AM)

#12 | Back to Top12-08-2006 08:55:03 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Um, I took karate at a local dojo for five years (and I made my black belt, woo hoo!), I've done a lot of swimming, softball, and I'm looking to take ballet really soon. (Not pointe though. That is really hard and would be bad for me all over the place.) I'm excited about it.

But for now...I am also a professional couch potato; I blame it on illness as well. I've been ill sense November. -_-

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#13 | Back to Top12-08-2006 09:00:22 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Tamago wrote:

It(Karate) has become a Japanese word and it has been for quite some now, the fact that the word originally came from Okinawa is another matter, after most of the words in the English language originaly came from Latin with the rest originating from the French, German and all sorts of other languages, as long as a word has become part of that language's lexicon, it belongs to that language as well.

Take the word Angst for instance, just 20 years ago, it was considered a handy German word and not considered part of the English language but nowdays it has been absorbed into the English lexicon and is now an English word as well. 

Karate has been part of the Japanese language for longer than anyone living remembers so it certainly is a Japanese word... so there!
emot-keke emot-keke emot-keke

Logic isn't admitted in a proper debate! ;_;

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#14 | Back to Top12-08-2006 10:46:02 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Um...I took ballet for quite awhile...then I quit because I fell once and it hurt...then I played soccer...but I quit because I didn't like the new coach...for awhile I took Tai Kwon Do...but then some student teachers entered the picture and they were intimidating so I quit...I played basketball some but never seriously...I took fencing last summer but I was afraid of the teacher so I stopped and also I'm not very good at it...um...some informal yoga classes...got bored...uh...

I'm not a very physical person. emot-redface

I really wish I'd been a cheerleader, though.

#15 | Back to Top12-09-2006 12:05:55 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Ragnarok  wrote:

Logic isn't admitted in a proper debate! ;_;

I'm sorry about that, but I don't have the dirt on you I need for the mud-slinging that many modern debates depends on.

#16 | Back to Top12-09-2006 03:09:00 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Yeah baby! I have muscles! Er... I'm a weightlifter. Or rather, I was one. Right now I'm also a sit-on-my-asser. But I still have muscles. I can move.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#17 | Back to Top12-09-2006 04:32:29 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Well, karate is quite Japanese word, even without Okinawan influence, though without Okinawa it wouldn't have the same meaning as today. Kara means empty and te means hand. As such, it is empty hand. As in no weapons.

I practice, although all too rarely, Medieval European swordsmanship with longswords. The physical side, while straining isn't all that bad part of the training, but the techniques themselves resemble lessons of advanced geometry, with strictly defined angles, curves and vectors, although they usually aren't refered to with such terms. I suck at getting those drills in my backbone.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#18 | Back to Top12-09-2006 11:56:11 AM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

ExplosionFairy, you'd kick my ass about 50 thousand times from now 'til Tuesday, but I am a black-belt. I took Zen-Do Kai karate for five years - which is, admittedly, one of those more Americanized mish-mash styles, but it was pretty damn rigorous. It's actually mostly Shotokan, with other styles thrown in where deemed appropriate. I took my test right before college. I won't continue with that particular style, but it's one of the best things I've ever done.

Because I'm into academics hardcore now, I haven't really had the time to pursue martial arts, or any other sport... I really, really, really want to get back into it, though, and I do definitely keep in shape as much as I can by going to the gym. I've got decent muscles and stamina for someone who goes maybe 3-4 times a week. emot-keke Next semester will be less hectic, so I am hoping to pursue another style, or fencing.

I love being an active person, having a strong body full of energy. I love bicycling in particular - I live in a city, and it's the most awesome form of urban exploration it is. I also try to move constantly - walking everywhere, going up the stairs, etc. I'm restless in general, and I find being in shape does help my concentration and my overall outlook towards life. Exercise is boring beyond belief sometimes, but I find it's totally worth it.

#19 | Back to Top12-09-2006 06:56:33 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Oh, that reminds me - I'm technically a fourth-kyu in Shotokan, though I haven't taken a class in about six years and don't remember anything.

#20 | Back to Top12-10-2006 04:19:38 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Its damn scary to think that there are so many martial artists in this forum while the only impressive things I can do physically is give a Chinese Burn bad enough to cause a braclet-like bruise around someones wrist and I can headbutt like no-ones business. school-devil

#21 | Back to Top12-11-2006 01:17:51 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Don't worry, all I remember of my karate really is the correct way to throw a punch. And how to keep my balance.

#22 | Back to Top12-11-2006 09:49:36 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I could use help with the whole balance thing. I fell down stairs and sprained both my ankles. emot-gonk I don't get to blame Kozue. emot-gonk (I laughed, it was really embarrassing. Actually I would have broken my head had the guy I was walking with not caught me. Don't even remember his name now, woo I'm heartless.)

We need to have a martial arts forum meet where I watch everyone kick each others ass in various martial arts uniforms. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#23 | Back to Top12-11-2006 10:59:28 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I don't do anything anymore. I was in dance for eight years, although I hated everything but the one year I got to take ballet, and I recently started a class called 'Strip-Hop' to learn to dance dirty, but I had to quit due to a torn thigh muscle.

Other than that... I get picked on a lot, so I fight dirty. I punched one of my co-workers in the chest this morning. He deserved it, he poked my tummy. cool

I've done worse to people before, he got off lucky. cool

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#24 | Back to Top12-11-2006 09:55:04 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Remind me to never, ever poke your tummy.

#25 | Back to Top12-12-2006 03:22:10 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I would rather not have anyone poke my bellybutton either, my bellybutton is like my inbuilt queezy switch, touch it and I feel like I am going to toss my cookies. emot-gonk

Board footer