This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-01-2007 02:54:38 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Harry Potter ...Theme Park?

It's true, actually, Universal Orlando announced it the other day.

I'm...a little mixed about this, it's going to do both good and bad things for Florida. But there's a lot of things you could do with the theming (Halloween parties will be huge, a Christmas celebration, you can do a "Wizarding Class" esperience for kids, not to mention the merching). I can see this having an impact on Disney's business. Although I doubt it'll be a big one, it could be significant.

But yea or nay? Who wants to go, who wants to boycott? Set top open 2009, so it seems like they're rushing it -maybe to capitalize on getting it built before the movies end?

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#2 | Back to Top06-01-2007 03:21:25 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Re: Harry Potter ...Theme Park?

I started reading Harry Potter again, and lost interest again about half way through the book.

Even so, I'd probably go at least once to see what it's like. And honestly, if it came between Disney Land or that, I'd probably go to the Harry Potter place instead. But I don't think that it will have a huge impact on Disney's business. I mean, every little kid wants to go to Disney Land, right?

#3 | Back to Top06-01-2007 03:28:36 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I can easily see them timing the grand opening with the premiere of the final movie, maybe even to the point of having the world premiere of The Deathy Hallows in Orlando.

I'd probably go if I was in the area, but I've been to Florida exactly twice in the last 15 years, so it's not like I'm making plans to.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#4 | Back to Top06-01-2007 08:32:41 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I shall be there opening day, wearing robes at the ripe old age of 21, waving my wand. Why you ask? Because I am sad that way, and I love the books. Not to fond of the fourth or second version of the movies . . . but I love the books.

sometimes you make me feel
like I知 living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#5 | Back to Top06-01-2007 09:24:03 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Sevelle wrote:

I shall be there opening day, wearing robes at the ripe old age of 21

Haha... Summer 2009?  I'll be a youthful 30. emot-tongue

But I'll still like Harry Potter and anime and video games and all that good stuff.

Yay for Peter Pan syndrome! emot-keke

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#6 | Back to Top06-01-2007 09:31:36 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Well what's funny is I look like Harry Potter, AND I was born in July! Well on the 13th . . . but . . .

you said

#7 | Back to Top06-01-2007 09:32:34 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

I'd be 21 too!

...If I went.  Honestly, after the fourth book, I was too weary to keep up with the other ones.  But, I do recall Snape killing Dumbledore?

#8 | Back to Top06-01-2007 09:43:41 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Eh- Yeah.

I read the sixth once, when it came out, and I am re-reading it for the seventh.Is it sad I might go to the mid-night release? Better yet with a group of people my own age!

you said

#9 | Back to Top06-01-2007 10:00:22 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

And you can just imagine all the Fundi Christians protesting about how this theme park will lead young children into the trappings of witchcraft and satanism...

#10 | Back to Top06-02-2007 01:28:27 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I'll be 21 too.

Seville, want to meet up in robes? emot-dance

I hope the park is as much of a blast as it has potential to be. God damn, to think books have spawned their own theme parks.

#11 | Back to Top06-02-2007 06:30:52 AM

CrystalRose
New Student
Website

Sevelle wrote:

Eh- Yeah.

I read the sixth once, when it came out, and I am re-reading it for the seventh.Is it sad I might go to the mid-night release? Better yet with a group of people my own age!

No, its not sad sweetie, I too will be going to a midnight release party for the book, but by myself. I hope to see some people in costume, but I doubt it... that kind of thing isn't popular where I'm from emot-gonk

* ~ My Inner-child needs a good SPANKING! ~ *

#12 | Back to Top06-02-2007 10:54:48 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

I will be 22, never thought some of you were younger than me XD

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#13 | Back to Top06-02-2007 11:20:43 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

That's the year I graduate, so I'll be eighteen. emot-dance

I was there at midnight when the sixth book came out. It was at Wal-mart, though. I stayed up all night reading it. I remember seeing a video of someone who yelled, "Snape kills Dumbledore" at a midnight party for the book.

#14 | Back to Top06-02-2007 11:33:02 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I'll only be 17 emot-gonk I think I'm actually the youngest person here.

I've actually never been much for Harry Potter. I've never read the books, but they didn't really sound like something I would have been interested in. And the movies were on my shit-list, simply because I was such a big LOTR fan, therefore, liking Harry Potter would have been blashphemy [at least by my logic]. I'm over thinking I couldn't like both, but I've still never been able to take up much of an interest.

Nevertheless, were I in Florida for some unknown reason once it's up and running, I'm sure I'd drop by.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#15 | Back to Top06-02-2007 11:53:44 AM

Starfire
Rose Smilee

I loved the harry potter books up to book 6. Book 6 was where it was totally ruined simply by the fact that all romance seemed to amount to 'snogging'. And sorry, but she couldn't write romance well at all in my opinion.

You know you want to. You need to. You have no choice. Do it.

#16 | Back to Top06-02-2007 05:09:25 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Wow. I'll be 21 too! Weird to know a couple of us are! emot-dance

It's always a 50/50 chance I'll be in Orlando every year since we have family and a timeshare stationed there. I would definately go just because we'd finally have something new to check out. I've obviously been to Orlando too many times that it's come to the point that I don't wanna go to theme parks anymore since I've been to all multiple times.

But, damn, a Harry Potter park?! Get me a two day pass! emot-biggrin I've never really been a Harry fanatic and only read a couple of the books to see what the fuss is all about. Still, I can visualize how cool it's gonna be already. A life-sized Hogwarts castle is reason enough to go!

Last edited by Rae (06-02-2007 05:12:56 PM)

#17 | Back to Top06-02-2007 05:25:01 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I'd be 18 D:

I liked Harry Potter before everyone did, when i was in 2nd of elementary i started to read it. It's a shame it's now so commercial, i never read the 5th book and i'm not going to do it. It's so.. agh... OMG FANTASY LETS MAKE MONEY.

It was not like that at all at the beginning. Or maybe it's that i grew up. Who cares, i'd go to there anyways.

#18 | Back to Top06-02-2007 07:46:16 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

dollface wrote:

simply because I was such a big LOTR fan, therefore, liking Harry Potter would have been blashphemy [at least by my logic].

I like both, so it can be done. emot-keke

When the first HP book was released, I worked at a store where books was 1/4 of what we carried, and me and a bunch of others were the 'Anti-HP' brigade, simply because of all the hype.  I hadn't read a word of course (Book one wasn't even out yet!) so it was ignorant dislike.

Then I read the books (that were out) a few years later, and I liked them very much.  Fast Forward to the release of the Goblet of Fire book, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy to read. emot-biggrin

I still don't own the books yet, though... and I'm now kinda glad I held off in buying them... the US editions are Americanized. emot-tongue  (PROOF)  I'll most likely be ordering the box set of all seven in hardcover whenever that is released from Canada, since they get the un-mucked-about-with British edition there.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (06-02-2007 07:48:19 PM)

#19 | Back to Top06-02-2007 08:49:25 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Eh- I'm proud of myself! i own the first editions of the fourth, fifth, and sixth books. ANd next the seventh! BAHAHAHA!!!

emot-dance

Trench Kamen wrote:

I'll be 21 too.

Seville, want to meet up in robes?

I hope the park is as much of a blast as it has potential to be. God damn, to think books have spawned their own theme parks.

Hell yes!

you said

#20 | Back to Top06-02-2007 09:11:17 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

(PROOF)

It's the Star Wars special editions all over again! emot-gonk

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#21 | Back to Top06-02-2007 09:18:17 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I watched that History Channel special on Star Wars, let's just say Bush has an odd similarity to the Sith Lord.

you said

#22 | Back to Top06-03-2007 12:32:55 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I didn't think that I would like it at first, but then Kealdrea forced me to read them, and I ended up liking them. The concept itself made me think that I wouldn't like it, and it's vast popularity somehow turned me off from the idea.

But the Harry Potter fandom has lots of amusing fan-made things like this. emot-keke

#23 | Back to Top06-03-2007 01:58:53 AM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

Razara wrote:

I didn't think that I would like it at first, but then Kealdrea forced me to read them, and I ended up liking them. The concept itself made me think that I wouldn't like it, and it's vast popularity somehow turned me off from the idea.

But the Harry Potter fandom has lots of amusing fan-made things like this. emot-keke

I ~love~ the Potter Puppet Pals etc-love Forget about the books and the movies, they can't even compare.

"Snape.. Snape.. Severus Snape (DUMBLEDORE!!)"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#24 | Back to Top06-03-2007 03:37:17 AM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHDKSHDKHDSJKFHKSASD

WILL THE CORPORATE HYENAS QUIT HANGING AROUND AND EYEING
PATHETIC OPPORTUNITES................PLEASE?!

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#25 | Back to Top06-03-2007 09:23:10 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Persephone wrote:

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHDKSHDKHDSJKFHKSASD

WILL THE CORPORATE HYENAS QUIT HANGING AROUND AND EYEING
PATHETIC OPPORTUNITES................PLEASE?!

It's not a "pathetic opportunity," it's actually quite brilliant. If Universal does half as well with this project as they did with Seuss Landings, I'll probably visit it myself.

Also, I'd like to point out the fact that theme parks create jobs and revenue for Florida itself. An entirely new theme park, with appropriate branches... We're talking upwards of about 3,500 jobs. Granted a lot of them will be low paying entry level jobs, but they're jobs that people need nonetheless. People like myself, by the way.

Theme parks aren't just giant Corporations Of Great Evil, you know. It pisses me off to no end that people rag on them all the time -especially people that haven't worked them. Yeah, I complain. About management and my other co workers and the shitty pay. I don't know anybody that hasn't complained about it at some point in any job. But theme parks make money for one reason -they make people happy. People go to them. They might be expensive, but they're there for people's entertainment, and that's a purpose they serve well. We wouldn't be building them if people didn't go. As far as the rules of business, that's a big one.

Besides, this was a given. Corporate hyenas? Hah, bullshit. What about the costumes, the scarves, the "official" badges, the memorobillia, the action figures, the toys, the brooms, t-shirts, pajamas, prop reproductions, actual movie props that auction for more money then god, all that crap? Well, then it's just "servicing the needs of the fans." But when someone comes along and says "Hey, let's make a place where they can hang out, charge them just as much money as they'd spend on a year's worth of toys and crap so they can see all stuff, ride The Knight Bus and The Hogwarts Express" it becomes the embodiment of Corporate Evil Destroying All Things Good And Holy?

Last edited by morosemocha (06-03-2007 09:25:11 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Board footer