This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-27-2015 08:32:36 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Dionysus

Dionysus [Dionysos] is a god has has rescued various girls; including awakening them from slumber and even bringing them back from Death. Women are his special devotees and often go wild over him. He is a god of ecstasy and has a dual nature analogous to the dual nature of wine evoking both joy and rage. Athletic contest were sometime held in his honor. The core of his name is Dio-, evoking Zeus. He is a foreigner.

Of course there are plenty of other ways in which Dios is not like Dionysus. Very different iconography and no Anthy.

Last edited by brian (02-27-2015 08:34:23 PM)

#2 | Back to Top02-28-2015 09:18:58 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Re: Dionysus

Interesting. I knew he had lots of female followers but I thought they were just in it for the wine.  What myths did he rescue women in?

Last edited by Riri-kins (02-28-2015 09:20:22 AM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#3 | Back to Top01-05-2016 02:21:52 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Ariadne was the Minoan princess who saved Theseus from the Minotaur. They sailed off together and spent the night on the island of Naxos where he had sex with her and then slipped off to continue his voyage to Athens before she awoke. Different versions of the myth give different reasons. Ariadne, had alienated her father by thwarting the Minotaur and running off so going home was not an option. Dionysos found her and awoke her and took her to be his own wife. Ariadne, like Utena, has a name invoking divinitiy although I have seen conflicting etymologies. In any case the Greek word for god is embedded in the name Dionysos.

Dionysos himself is a very contradictory and dualistic character. Some myths characterize him as an outsider or even a foreigner. His mythological followers are crazed with sex and violence (maenads and satyrs) and tear wild animals to pieces with their bare hands. In one story he manipulates one of his enemies into being torn apart by the maenads. Dionysos is both Human and Divine and has aspects of a god who dies and is resurrected; for example in the way grapes turn into wine. As with wine he is wonderful in small doses, deadly in large doses. Early Christians pointed to him as a pre-cursor of Christ. He can travel to Hades safely and bring people back. Dionysos is a patron of drama and of liberation from convention.

In general Classical Greek mythology is misogynistic so there are distinct limits to how useful it is as a precursor to RGU. I don't know if Be-Papas meant for Dios to be Dionysos but if they know about a obscure goddess like Antheia they surely are familiar with Dionysos.

#4 | Back to Top01-27-2016 12:22:16 PM

Astrinde
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Brian, I like the idea of Akio being, or at least being related to, Dionysos!  You make good points about the god's dual nature and the stories of him rescuing women.  Trapping or imprisoning such a god would be completely anathema to his wild, free nature, too.  And though she's not an ideal Anthy analogue, Ariadne - like Arachne - does have associations with weaving and spinning, which is a task intimately associated with magic (and therefore, with the fairytale witch - spindle, anyone? emot-smile ).

But you mentioned Zeus in your initial post, and I could see that analogy, as well - numerous stories of seduction, tremendous power, jealous sister-wife.  Hera even had the cow as a sacred animal, though I doubt any of them were named Nanami in the myths. emot-smile

#5 | Back to Top02-03-2016 10:34:32 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Yeah, I can't remember anything specific other than Ariadne myself. But there is a definite long term literary theme regarding the maenad that casts Dionysus as a sort of empowerer of women.  As brian points out, it's a dualism, because there's the despoiler of women element, too.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

Board footer