This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-06-2008 09:02:18 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Re: [RP] Almaser's RPG!

"Della, what is really going on here? Who is this girl you've got us chasing?"
"Ari, I want to explain, I do. But you won't get it." Della pouted at her brother, while her fingers idly traced out a song over the holes of her flute.
"Well then tell me, and let's see if I won't understand." He tried to smile encouragingly at her, but Della just looked back into the fire and began to play her flute. Ariah sighed. Why on earth were they grabbing up some Weaver, who'd never had formal training, who nobody had heard of, and asking her to help them? And what for?
"Artah Estim."
"What was that, Del?"
"That's the man we need to protect. The one who created Abominations will come after him. He has treasures that were once in our keeping, possessions of He who walked back into the stars."
"You're right, I don't understand - you're talking like you're halfway into one of your trances."
"I told you." She picked up the flute again. Ariah put a hand on it, held it from reaching her lips.
"Explain it to me. Your brother needs to know."
Della hesitated, glancing into the fire, biting her lip. "Okay. I didn't see much, it was dark. There were six or seven people. There was one, he had a cane, and a woman was saying that he had made abominations. But they weren't in the same room? I don't think so, anyway.
"There was a man with her, though, and he said his name to me-" Della looked her brother in the eye here, her face taut and serious. To have someone speak their own name in a vision was a powerful thing. "Artah Estim. He's in Calwind, and he has something that the man with a cane wants. And we might have a chance to get back the treasures of Selmi."
"Del, how did they get stolen in the first place?"
"It was our sister, she took them with her when she ran away. I don't know how she got into the vault, but she did. And he got them from her."
"Do you know where she is?"
"Why should I care? Tij abandoned us, Ari! She left us all alone." All of a sudden Del had tears in her eyes, and brought her knees up to her chest, rocking slowly on the log. Ariah reached out a hand to her, smoothing her hair.
"I know, little one. I'm sorry I asked. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't hurt."
"Well she's not," came the begrudging sniffle, "Least as far as I can see."
"Okay, okay. Then she doesn't matter for now. I know you like Ahna better, anyway."
Della looked up and smiled, all traces of tears gone. "And she'll be here in only a minute, with the girl! I can't wait to meet her."

Jeth and Ahna exchanged a quick glance.
"Well," Ahna said with a grin, "We'll have to talk to someone in Stasgrund about putting you in training, but I am glad you're coming with us. But please, don't think we're being secretive. We're just so used to traveling alone that a lot goes unsaid. But more importantly!" She clapped her hands and gave Morten a warm smile, "I would love to start teaching you our way of healing, once we have met with Della. And here she is," Ahna stretched out a hand to indicate the young girl sitting with Ariah. Della smilled and waved hello.

---

"You have one of those? Kol-pashir mek va- um, sorry. I am simply amazed. These are such rare artifacts that you own, Tangier. I am almost afraid to touch them." He smiled awkwardly, still amazed that anyone in this age had their hands on a Violet Star. The last Mover he had head of in Kelm had been nearly twenty years ago now, and not near strong enough to complete such an object.
"I thank you for your offer, it will certainly aid us in reaching a secure place. I wanted to apologise, as well - we did not properly explain ourselves to you, and to expect your trust without any reason is unfair. If there is anything you wish to know about our order, please, ask me."

---

Beliria felt the sudden shift in Tok and Affis' patterns, and the sudden burst of Arcana from Norton. What the hell was going on? They were safely behind the wards! She hurried outside, pulling her dress on as she did.

Hart froze for a moment. Greyn was screeching and ripping at his own chest, under some sort of attack by the thief. It seemed, though, that neither Kerrigan nor the third guard had noticed where he stood, shadowed under the trees. Greyn dropped to the ground, and that damned thief went over and checked his pulse. Hart waited. The moment his back was turned, he unleashed a great lash of wind that struck Norton in the back and sent him flying into the dirt.

Beliria stepped out of the tent just in time to see, but not feel, the blast of Arcana knock Norton across the little clearing. Errid, who had run to check on Affis, looked on in horror as well. Beliria scanned the air for the aura of the man who had attacked them, but there was none. Except, a man was running over to some unknown man collapsed on the ground, and lifting him with Arcana into the air. But she couldn't feel it. She could only watch, stunned, as the two darted out, passing right through her traps without the slightest sensation on her end.
Affis stirred, and looked around him. Over to his right, Tok was coughing raggedly, gasping for breath between spasms.
He looked to his left. Beliria and Errid were sitting with Norton, Beliria's Arcana working a soothing pattern over the injured thief. Affis stood up, his head throbbing, and walked over to them. "What happened?"
Beliria looked up at him, furious. "I couldn't sense them. Something seriously wrong is happening here, Affis. Norton, are you okay?" her words were forced out through gritted teeth.

At the walls of the city, Hart put down the body of his companion. He couldn't feel a heartbeat, but there was breath, shallow and weak - he could feel the tiny currents of air passing through Greyn's nose and mouth. He placed a hand over Greyn's face, and pushed air into the lungs. With that sudden inrush of air, Greyn snapped awake, and  his heartbeat began again.
"How the hell did you do that?"
"I'm a Fleshtwister, Hart. Whole body can be stretched. Make the heart stretchy, make it slow, he thinks he killed me."
"Well done. At least we know now these rings work."
"She didn't sense us at all?"
"Not at all."
"Good."
"Can you stand? Alright. Let's go see the boss."

#27 | Back to Top12-06-2008 10:18:27 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Norton pushed up, crawling to his feet. The unexpected Arcana attack hurt, yes, but it was more like strong, unexpected windburn than anything else. He only hoped that his own Arcana did the trick on that one guard. He grumbled something and turned to Beliria, anger flashing in his eyes.

"Am I okay? Am I okay!? I just crushed a man's heart and wasted my Arcana! I had to run from my camp to get here, and that means more wasted effort! First Greddhalt, and now this! Of course I'm not bloody okay, damn it!" Something tugged at Norton's mind. The man whose heart he had crushed, the organ seemed too...pliable, for lack of a certain word. When he had touched it with his Arcana, it seemed to resist. Something was not right. Norton stood up and growled.

"That man who I targetted with my Arcana...he is not dead. I don't remember his art, but from what I remember of my studies at home, surely it is Major." He groaned. "Is it everywhere I go that Major Arcana seems to be the fashion and not the exception? No, don't tell me," here he held a outstretched hand to Beliria. "I threw in my lot with you all when I turned Greddhalt down. I'll see that 'key' of yours safely out of his hands or I'll die trying. But I've used my Arcana twice and ran a distance. I count it as one potential elitism chance missed. I know my limits; I just never expected to have to run them up against the wall, as it were." He paused, then frowned.

"Forgive my reaction toward you. I'm not used to dealing with such strong foes. I need some time to reassess this situation. If you feel we don't have the time, then...I suppose thinking on my feet will give me a good workout..."

~~~*~~~*~~~

Kristin smiled, this time more easily than before.

"I'm sure your order has secrets to keep, Sir Karta, as do I. Perhaps it would be best to only give me a few clues as to what your order means to the general populace and what their primary focus is." She twisted the emerald ring on her right ring finger -- a nervous habit she had acquired over the years -- as she spoke. "Tell me what I need to know, and I will be satisfied with that. I find that the less I know about religion or politics, the less I am noticed." She paused, her hand over the ring. "To be honest, I did not expect that one assailant to identify that I collected rare artefacts..."

~~~*~~~*~~~

Getting even more interesting...but at least one of them stands a chance at surviving...

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#28 | Back to Top12-08-2008 03:23:12 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

The young woman grinned. "Then this healer shall come." She took a number of deep breaths, her eyes slipping out of focus for a moment. "Hmm... the road will be long and people are tiring. The fire is a little warm and the night a little cool." She stretched. "My journeyman days have been pretty interesting. Such stories to tell someday. I shall find a place to settle and dream. In the morning, Jeth and Ahna. We have such a long journey ahead. Makes me glad to have left Grandmother's house." She grinned and yawned and walked to a place between the fire and the wagon, looking around once more. "There will be a few chances to prove my abilities yet with the way some drink." She laughed before sinking down to sleep, the grass soft beneath her.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

Board footer