This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top11-07-2013 01:38:58 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Re: RoseCon 2014: We tried so hard and got so far, but RC is off this year

I'm not going to lie. I looked at a picture of poutine because I had no clue what it was, and it didn't look that tantalizing.... maybe something about "cheese curds" turns me off though, and it looks much better to "normal" people? Those bagels Yasha talked about intrigue me though, they seem pretty tasty.

I've been sorely tempted to go out and buy a bass (and start trying to learn how to play it) recently though, which would make this trip more difficult to pull off. Not impossible by any means, but I feel like I should be reigning in my unnecessary personal expenses somewhere... Still very much want (and plan) to go to this though. I'm thinking  I can cut back a bit on random drinking-out. That money adds up fast. Then I could have both my bass and montreal trip. And bagels. ... and I'd try the poutine, cause I'm adventurous (not really).

Looked into my passports too. One is valid still, but the other has expired (I have a US and an EU one still, although I'm pretty sure I was technically supposed to have given up one of them awhile back now....). I'm going to get on top of reknewing the US one, because I'm vaguely worried about what will happen if I try flying out of/to the US with an EU passport I'm not actually supposed to have, and people somehow catch that. Eep.

#52 | Back to Top11-07-2013 08:21:18 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I got my old passport in the mail, with holes punched through it.

There was a slip that said my passport had been approved, and it's being sent.  Even though I got my dad's birthday wrong.

And I looked at my finances recently, and I have nearly enough money to cover the trip and pay for a quarter of classes as of now not as of when I'll actually have to pay for things.  So yay!

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#53 | Back to Top11-08-2013 11:40:48 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

New passport: acquired.  It looks like the US State Department has gone the Blingee route of preventing passport forgery: there is so much flamboyantly patriotic nonsense, and watermarks, and iridescent topcoats, and funky colors, (it makes the 'ole red white and blue look more like powder blue and pink) and they probably added security chips on top of that, just to make absolutely super sure that it would be a real pain in the ass to make a fake one.

So... I guess I'm just waiting on dates now, once those are decided, I can go ahead and start making reservations for stuff.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#54 | Back to Top12-16-2013 10:56:28 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Okay my pretties!! So looking over the thread, there isn't a clear consensus about the dates for RoseCon, so it's pretty much any weekend, with a slight preference for the 1-3 and 8-10, but 16-18 also gets mentioned. The 1-3rd will be the hardest for me to attend, so I'll say that right out. It's a super stat weekend in Alberta which means every nurse in the province wants that day weekend off.

So, input? Is the August 8-10 okay for everyone? Makes no difference? Assuming you go, are you limited in the stay or could we tentatively say it's actually four days? Historically, most everyone shows up a day or two early anyway. emot-smile

Edit: Trying to sound less like I decided already and more like I'm all diplomatic and shit. emot-biggrin Sorry, banging headache over here.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#55 | Back to Top12-16-2013 11:13:53 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

I would really rather prefer it were a week later.

But I understand if that's inconvenient for other people, and... there might be a workaround, but the date might also be a tipping point for me in terms of how much nonsense I'll have to put up with, and make it not worth it.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#56 | Back to Top12-16-2013 11:51:43 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

August 16-18?

If that's acceptable to people, I'm fine with it. emot-smile I leaned more toward the middle of the month before school starts being an issue. Maybe I should do a poll. I just remembered we have those. emot-biggrin

Edit by satyreyes: Gio forgot to mention that she put her poll right here!

Last edited by satyreyes (12-17-2013 11:18:32 AM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#57 | Back to Top12-17-2013 06:04:00 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Now that I'm more in the school app process, it looks like some of the accelerated BSN programs want to start at the beggining of summers, and other start in the normal fall semester. So I'm a lot less sure I can go... since I won't know what school I'm going to until, probably, this fills up anyways. I'll do a null vote for dates, I guess.

If I end up in one of the schools starting in fall and a spots still free though, I'd love to still hop on board.

#58 | Back to Top12-21-2013 10:12:13 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

This is semi-related to RoseCon. . .

Jeopardy Contestant Answers Question with Bane Impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdaEfPYZ5Vk

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#59 | Back to Top01-01-2014 10:28:06 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Happy 2014!  It's an even-numbered year, and you know what that means: Congressional elections!  And RoseCon.  More importantly, RoseCon. 

Though the con is still several months off, this seems like a good time to remind those thinking of attending that, for most of you, Montreal is in a foreign country called Canada, and you will need an up-to-date passport to get in.  (For the rest of you, Montreal is in a foreign country called Quebec, and it's a strange place but you don't need a passport to get there.)

Allow time to get a passport.  In the United States, it usually takes about 4-6 weeks for the Department of State to process passport requests -- both for first-time registrants and renewals -- and you might want to allow more time than that, just in case.  If this is your first U.S. passport, you need to apply in person at a passport agency.  If you'll be driving into Canada, you can get a passport card for $55; if you'll be flying, you need a passport book and the cost is $135.  If you already have a passport, make sure it's current.  Passports expire without fanfare; no one will send you a letter to let you know that your passport is no longer valid.  You can renew by mail, and renewing a passport card or book you already have is $25 cheaper than getting your first one.

All the information you need, including the forms you'll need to fill out, can be found here.  Safe travels!  etc-love

#60 | Back to Top01-07-2014 12:39:33 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The polling feature has spoken, by a slim majority! The con's always been scheduled to open up the option to the most people possible, as fairly as we can. I didn't close it in December, to give the Christmas folks some time to wander on by.

Thanks, satyr! Definitely get your passport sooner rather than later. And if this is the first reason you've had to get one, may I say I feel darn proud of it? It sounds cheesy to say, but I've been travelling to Canada for years, even back when a passport wasn't necessary. But it wasn't until I had one that I felt so much more like...a global citizen? It's one of those relatively easy things that's just a minor roadblock that I think stops a lot of people from taking travel more to heart.

It's absolutely not necessary, but for those enthusiastic congoers, a crash course in French might not be a terrible idea. I will probably do a Fronch For Morons thread or something once I start working on it myself. You know, where's the bathroom, how do I get to the subway, is this flavored with real truffles or that fake bullshit?

The hotel mentioned earlier with the Akio's office suite is high in the running, I just wanna check out where it is in relation to other things we want to see/mass transit, but my hopes are high. I'm expecting Montreal to be more like New Orleans than Seattle and NYC as far as needing to move around. Also all the mangled French. emot-biggrin

#61 | Back to Top01-13-2014 12:07:07 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

You be quiet about the French here. The government of France disowned it, so it's its own special little thing now. The proper name for it is Québécois French. emot-tongue

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#62 | Back to Top01-14-2014 04:20:21 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Don't knock France.

PS: I'll let you guys know if I can come asap after I hear back from my nursing schools, if there's still any spots left. I'm pretending I can go and renewing my passport in the meantime. We'll see.

#63 | Back to Top01-29-2014 09:36:33 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hmm...

Unfortunately, given recent development with life and work stuff that's going on lately, I won't be able to make it to Rosecon this year emot-frown

Here's to aiming for coming to the next Rosecon!

#64 | Back to Top01-29-2014 10:49:43 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Aw man!  Sorry to hear that, Hiraku emot-frown  I'm thinking the 16-person limit on attendance may not turn out to be the limiting factor at RoseCon '14.

Any progress on hotels, Gio?  Don't mean to rush, but we're going at a popular time to visit, and the sooner we book, the better our chances of nabbing that suite and all being able to stay in the same hotel.

#65 | Back to Top02-18-2014 12:15:41 PM

euphoniousphantasm
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Hey there! I'm quite new to this board; I mostly joined to help out with the Utena game project. However, I live in Montréal, and Yasha asked me to give you guys some suggestions for things to do during Rosecon, which I would love to do!

So, what kinds of things do you like besides Utena? Foods? Events? Movies? Art? Music? There's a lot to do here, especially during the Summer, so specifics are good!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyy3ai5ExC1qm2pt6.jpg

#66 | Back to Top02-22-2014 05:10:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Events themselves can be a little hard to swing, we usually have like 10+ people with us... but what's your favorite thing to do in Montreal? For myself, I love museums, art galleries, good restaurants, maybe a bit of shopping, historical sites, parks, that sort of thing. I'm a big fan of beautiful things and I like to indulge my senses.

That help any, or should I be more specific?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#67 | Back to Top02-22-2014 08:25:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'd love to check out any museums or particularly awesome historical areas...which I know Montreal is PACKED with.

but uh...not gonna lie...

Dining is pretty much first priority for me in a new place. And I love to know what the locals eat!

#68 | Back to Top02-25-2014 12:23:49 AM

euphoniousphantasm
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Excellent! Thanks, that totally helped. So here's what I came up with...

When I eat out at restaurants, I tend to eat a lot of vegetarian and Japanese food, so that's mainly what I have knowledge in.

- Aux Vivres (An amazing vegan restaurant. If for some reason that deters you, don't let it! They even have brunch on the weekends.)
- Kazu (A popular Japanese restaurant. You'll probably have to wait in line to get in. A lot of popular restaurants are like that here)
- Imadake (A Japanese pub/Izakaya. A good place if you want to have a night out drinking exciting sake drinks and eating delicious food emot-tongue)
- Misoya (Authentic Japanese Ramen of many different kinds)
- Fairmount or St Viateur Bagels (Both are delicious and very close to one another; they're very popular with visitors! It's good to get a bag of them as a snack to share and wander around the area~)
- Restaurant L'Avenue (A great place for breakfast. Again, you'll probably have to wait in line)
- Cacao 70 (An extremely decadent ~*chocolate restaurant*~.)

Here are some museums, art galleries and historical areas:

- The Old Port of Montréal (Also called Le Vieux-Port de Montréal. This is, like the name implies, an older, more historic area of Montréal. There's old churches, small cobblestone streets and alleyways, and lots of little museums and other things that I'm not too knowledgable about)
- The Montréal Museum of Fine Arts (The main exhibits in the museum are always free, but often there's an exclusive exhibition within it that isn't)
- Le Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (Aka the MAC, or the Montreal Contemporary Art Museum.)
- Parisian Laundry (One of the many places for contemporary, local art. The exhibits change quite frequently)
- The Montreal Biodome (This is like an indoor zoo, but with lots of space and is made to imitate the animals' natural ecosystem. It's right next to the Olympic Stadium and the Botanical Garden, which I would also recommend checking out.)

As for parks, shopping, and other miscellaneous things...

- Parc La Fontaine (This is my personal favourite park in Montreal. It's very lively in the Summer, but not overwhelmingly so. It's a great place to have a picnic lunch!)
- Mount Royal (This is a park centered around a large hill of the same name. It's definitely the largest and most popular park in Montreal. Definitely go on a Sunday, there's a popular event that happens each week called "Tam Tams", where people gather and play instruments, sell things, etc)
- Chinatown (I love going to Chinatown in the Summer, getting some bubble tea and noodles, and checking out the local shops. Montreal doesn't have a very big Chinatown, but it's very cute!)
- The Underground mall/Eaton Centre (There are several connecting underground malls in downtown Montreal, that span several of the metro stations. It might not be the most interesting thing to do in the Summer since you'd be inside/underground, but it's definitely a cool novelty!)
- Lower Plateau/St Laurent Boulevard (Near the Sherbrooke, Mont Royal and Laurier metro stations. For interesting shops, clothing and other fun things to buy.)

Well, that's all I've got. I hope it helps! emot-keke If you have any other questions, just let me know.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyy3ai5ExC1qm2pt6.jpg

#69 | Back to Top03-12-2014 09:49:09 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

That list is awesome! Just the kind of stuff we're always looking for. Especially me. I'm seriously considering a permanent move to Montreal because Edmonton is getting equally expensive and for 1500 a month in rent I could be, you know...in Montreal. emot-rolleyes

Ahem. Anyway. So I've been very hesitant to mention but I guess I should. A lot of senior nurses are requesting weekends in August off and this is done by seniority. We're also in the middle of changing our rotations. Long story short, at the moment I don't know if I have the weekend of RC off, and if I don't, there's a very good chance I won't be able to get it off, because I'm way at the bottom of the totem pole as far as getting vacation at that time of year.

So for my part, RoseCon is kind of in the air. That doesn't mean it won't happen, and you can be damn sure I'll fight tooth and nail for that--there is a chance I could swap for it or something, but at the moment, I really just don't know. emot-frown

#70 | Back to Top03-27-2014 05:06:44 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Well, I certainly hope you can make it, Gio. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

As for me, I have some money coming in so I might be able to make it if somebody splits a room with me.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#71 | Back to Top04-02-2014 09:36:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So essentially, if RoseCon is supposed to have Yasha and I, it can't be these dates. I will not get them off. This isn't OH PROBABLY this is about six nurses with more seniority want the days off and I don't have them off right now. I'm pretty much fucked. I'm working on it, but the only span I have off so far looks to be August 1-3rd.

So at this point, I don't know what to do with RoseCon. I will be in Montreat at that time and so will Yasha. So you come, we'll hang the fuck out like bosses. But.. emot-frown

#72 | Back to Top04-02-2014 10:11:02 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

All I heard was "me and Yasha will be in Montreal August 1-3."

Hotel?

#73 | Back to Top04-02-2014 11:34:52 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Those dates are… not good for me.  I might be able to make it, but… remember that thing?  That I said would conflict for certain dates?  These are some of them.  Granted, that… might change?  I don't know, things are less certain now than they were, but… I get the impression it's not gonna change.

I.  Just.  BLAAAAAARGH.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#74 | Back to Top04-05-2014 10:38:42 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

1-3 Aug is totally doable for me. Let's not let this die completely.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#75 | Back to Top04-05-2014 11:15:52 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Ehhh...I don't really think I can come between those dates and tuition costs. (sighs wistfully)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

Board footer