This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#176 | Back to Top04-13-2011 01:16:49 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Little things that make you think about SKU.

Should you happen to google 'sexy web design', the first link leads to a site where the front page image includes a picture of Akio's Corvette.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#177 | Back to Top04-15-2011 02:19:58 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

The relationship between the creepy teacher and Nina Sayers in Black Swan reminds me of Akio and Utena's. Both act like a father figure and basically groom their "little princesses." (shudders)

Giovanna wrote:

Should you happen to google 'sexy web design', the first link leads to a site where the front page image includes a picture of Akio's Corvette.

Holy cow, you're right!

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#178 | Back to Top04-15-2011 04:30:17 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

This song Makes me think about Utena :p

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#179 | Back to Top04-16-2011 07:36:53 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

"Kill the Lights" by The Birthday Massacre. I'm going to HAVE to make a music video of it one day, because it's pretty much lyric for lyric evokes a scene from the show.

Hat Mafia Member

#180 | Back to Top04-16-2011 10:36:40 PM

teyhy
High Tripper
Website

I was googling a home remedy for skin scars when the site suggested "Rose hips oil". The first thing in my mind after reading that was ep. 32.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils - H. Berlioz.
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/teyhy/for%20fo/Untitled-1copy.jpg?t=1280266589

#181 | Back to Top04-17-2011 07:57:14 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

teyhy wrote:

I was googling a home remedy for skin scars when the site suggested "Rose hips oil". The first thing in my mind after reading that was ep. 32.

You should seriously try rose hip tea. I'm not that big of a tea person most of the time, but it is AWESOME. Especially iced and with a little sugar(I'm such a Southerner).

Hat Mafia Member

#182 | Back to Top04-17-2011 01:46:05 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Rose hip tea is awesome. I think everyone figures it's gonna taste like rose, but that's only a very faint note in the back. It's got this lemony tart taste that's awesome in a tea. I go for honey myself. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#183 | Back to Top05-10-2011 03:00:43 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

I just noticed my girlfriend has underwear the exact colour of Kozue`s hair, this might not seem too exciting but at 2:00 in the morning it blew my brain emot-rolleyes

#184 | Back to Top05-16-2011 11:25:40 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7782/intheirownwords.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm reminded of SKU when I do stuff like this. emot-dance

#185 | Back to Top05-17-2011 06:30:23 AM

Gainel
Rose Bride

In general, pretty much every Evanescence song makes me think of a Utena character. I want to make videos of all of them someday :3

Everybody's Fool - Utena (spoken of from Anthy's unhappy point of view... mostly because she knows that Utena's prince-façade IS in fact a façade, and from her line "You could never be my prince anyway - you're a girl." Perhaps not her exact words, but you get the general idea.)

Sweet Sacrifice - Shiori, probably, since the song has such a sarcastic tone in some lines, and Shiori can be pretty cruel. She'd most likely be referring to Juri here... [Could also apply to Nanami -> Keiko, because Nanami kind of... hates Keiko for a good bit.]

Bring Me to Life - Anthy of course. Reasons are obvious.

Weight of the World - Juri, most likely to Ruka. Even though she, in fact, IS held down by who she used to be (by Shiori, of course).

My Immortal - Movie!Utena, when she still cannot get over Touga. Perhaps could also fit either post-series Anthy or post-series Utena, if stuff doesn't go well for them.

There are other examples as well, but these are the most prominent...

EVANESCENCE + UTENA = etc-love emot-biggrin

Last edited by Gainel (05-17-2011 02:25:59 PM)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

#186 | Back to Top05-18-2011 08:12:41 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Gainel wrote:

I absolutely agree with you! I love them both too! The songs you chose were very appropriate.

#187 | Back to Top05-18-2011 09:01:53 PM

Gainel
Rose Bride

Crystalline_Dream wrote:

Gainel wrote:

I absolutely agree with you! I love them both too! The songs you chose were very appropriate.

Thanks! That's very nice of you to say. emot-keke

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

#188 | Back to Top05-26-2011 06:00:56 PM

teyhy
High Tripper
Website

Two of my fav Utena AMVs were made with evanescence's songs, so the this band totally reminds me of Utena.
Another song that makes me thing of Utena is Breaking Bejamin's Breath.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmREF37eh-4
With lines like "I see nothing in your eyes, and the more I see the less I like." and "I know that I can find the fire in your eyes." I can't help but think about Anthy's eyes.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils - H. Berlioz.
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/teyhy/for%20fo/Untitled-1copy.jpg?t=1280266589

#189 | Back to Top05-26-2011 11:51:01 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

A guy in my lit class said of a totally unrelated topic "It's going to revolutionize the world." Of course I smiled knowingly to myself afterward.emot-wink

#190 | Back to Top05-28-2011 11:39:48 PM

PrettyPeopleWithSwords
Rose Smilee

Speaking of songs, "Scars" by Basement Jaxx makes me think of Anthy hardcore. It would also make a fucking killer Utena AMV. Alas, I'm not capable of producing such things.

This is kinda old but Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII always reminds me of Utena. Their personalities are pretty much opposite but the pink hair, tomboyishness, ability to fight with swords, protective qualities, propensity to punch people who piss her off . . .

#191 | Back to Top06-05-2011 07:54:34 PM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0y_uWHWvmo <this is the opening of guardian angel getten, ive never seen the anime, but i have read vols. 2-4 of the raijin comics version. i actually just randomly came across this one day, and at :56.... utena xD

#192 | Back to Top06-06-2011 02:35:06 AM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

I went to my grandmother's house the other day, a few days after finishing watching Utena. A rose that my dad apparently planted in her yard a while ago had bloomed emot-biggrin
I was just like....what does this mean. It was a red Touga rose.

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#193 | Back to Top06-12-2011 05:22:43 AM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/randamonian/ref.png

I didn't think it was possible, but Lulu made me love him more.

Smash the world's shell. Smash it Lulu!

#194 | Back to Top07-15-2011 08:56:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So the Facebook thing to FIND YOUR PATRONUS has the usual cumshot of 'hay can we do invasive things with your profile and internets?' before you take it. It's not a test, it just shoots a patronus out at you.

I have to wonder...does it do a very basic internet trawl? Because if it does, I think I know why it says mine's a phoenix.

MY PATRONUS, THEREFORE, IS AKIO.

emot-gonk

etc-wankgirl

#195 | Back to Top07-19-2011 10:03:16 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Any content derived from Texts from Last Night will forever make me think of Utena now thanks to this tumblr. Some of those texts are too perfect not be from the show. (Like this one.)

#196 | Back to Top07-26-2011 12:20:29 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I guess like most people said, anything to do with roses reminds me of Utena. The Safeway in Flagstaff often has roses that are a pale purple color and not to mention many orange, yellow, and red roses.  I also get reminded of Kanae when I see white flowers like the ones in the episode where she was a Black Rose duelist.

When I was watching DBZ Kai fansubs in January I remember thinking that Future Trunks should be in SKU since he has a sword, weird super-powers, and probably a lot of suppressed angst that Akio could exploit since those cute cyborgs murdered off a good majority of the Earth's population in his timeline. I was also reminded of Utena when I watched the final episode of Sailor Moon where she gets a sword and does battle with Galaxia while flying. Plus she's naked later, so it's perfect for SKU. Now I think almost any anime character with a sword and problems will remind me of SKU.

Also, art class reminds my of the Utena movie.

#197 | Back to Top07-31-2011 02:03:44 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

There were green roses for sale in the floral department of the grocery store yesterday. My heart went thumpity-thump.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#198 | Back to Top08-02-2011 12:55:55 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Yesterday I accidentally dropped my 3 minute hourglass, so I picked it up and set it back down on the dresser so that the sand was going down.  I left my room and about half an hour later, I came back to get something and noticed that the sand on top was still halfway full.  It turned out it had been clogged (shaking it a little fixed the problem) but it made me think of Tokiko's remark about an hourglass running slow.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (08-02-2011 12:56:58 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#199 | Back to Top08-02-2011 09:07:08 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

On the way to my grandmother's house I saw a sticker on a car and it said "Stop bitching. Start a revolution." I don't know what the sticker meant because I couldn't see the small writing at the bottom.

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#200 | Back to Top08-03-2011 03:50:14 AM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

"Stop bitching, start a revolution" is the slogan of Zendik, an art commune that some suggest might be a sex cult.

I once asked them if I could hitch a ride with them and live on their farm to run away from student loans.  They apparently have many guns.  I know quite a few cons have spent time chasing them off the premises for soliciting their t-shirts outside.

I, personally, think of Utena whenever I get naked.  Mostly because of the rose crest tattoo I have on my shoulder.  Even before then, though, if I wore a dress shirt open I would imagine myself as Touga or Akio, depending on whether or not the shirt were white or red.  I'm pretty sure I buy red dress shirts out of some not-so-subconscious desire to be Akio.

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

Board footer