This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-27-2011 10:27:36 PM

CameraLady
New Student

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Despite the title, this is utena related.

Found this on tumblr - If you've beaten Skyward Sword (might be you) and are an Utena fan (definitely you if you're here) then I think you can appreciate this...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvct9445N01qcbm3v.png

#2 | Back to Top11-27-2011 10:59:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

W-wait. Like...fanart, right? emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top11-28-2011 01:20:18 PM

CameraLady
New Student

Do you mean that it should've been in a fanart thread?  then woops.  :p

But, if not, then there's a scene where SPOOOOILERS: Ganon pulls a sword out of ghirahim's chest.  He does it in a VERY different way than it's done in utena... but it really works as a goofy picture.  emot-tongue

#4 | Back to Top12-07-2011 09:56:00 PM

Seen
Mikage Mistruster

CameraLady wrote:

Do you mean that it should've been in a fanart thread?  then woops.  :p

But, if not, then there's a scene where SPOOOOILERS: Ganon pulls a sword out of ghirahim's chest.  He does it in a VERY different way than it's done in utena... but it really works as a goofy picture.  emot-tongue

You mean DEMISE pulls a sword out of Ghirahim's chest. This game takes place before Ganon was born.

But holy shit I am LOVING THE SHIT OUT OF THIS PICTURE.

Last edited by Seen (12-07-2011 09:56:23 PM)

#5 | Back to Top12-10-2011 02:11:09 AM

PrettyPeopleWithSwords
Rose Smilee

I haven't beaten the game yet so I hope I didn't just accidentally see a huge spoiler. emot-frown Although I can't really recognize either character so maybe it's OK.

#6 | Back to Top10-19-2013 08:19:19 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Bumping the thread.

So here the thing, I did't really really get into anime until the 8th grade of High school(Middle school if you are living outside of Australia), I was like about 14 back then, some of the earliest anime I watch were Dragon Ball/Z, Evangelion, Lucky star, Haruhi(in that order) this was before I found my niche, these I tend to watch older anime because the newer animes post-2006 kind of bore me but with some major exception including Hellsing Ultimate, Peinguindrum, the first season of Nanoha, Madoka(which lead me to Utena), Gurren laggan and A little bit of death note just to name a few, I also watch 19 episodes of The Rose of Versailles(a show I got into thanks to Utena), Cowbow bebop, a Good portion of Azumanga Daioh, Some of the Gundam animes and A small portion of Vampire hunter D: bloodlust.

Before I really got into anime, I was mainly a Gamer, at the time that I was getting anime I was hyping myself up for the next zelda game(Skyward Sword), at this point, I still spending most of my time on the Wii when it came to gaming, I was't really interested in the other consoles and I was strictly a console gamer(I did't really get into PC gaming until last year when I got a PC with somewhat decent specs); I did't play the Xbox that much during the first year because the only decent game I had was Halo Reach which I did't really get until April for my Birthday.
I finished skyward sword by Spring/Autumn and somewhat enjoyed it despite my disappointment with it; I like Ghirahim and his shtick at the time, the reveal that Ghirahim is Demise sword was cool.

My first watchthrough of the TV series is typical for anyone who watches Anime like Utena/Evengelion that require second viewers to understand but when I saw the first sword drawing scene in the TV show I was reminded of how Demise pulled his sword out of Ghirahim in-fact I think Skyward Sword uses elements of SKU, the reason why people did't catch onto that was because SKU is a fairly obscure anime to compared to the like of Evangelion mainly because of it's lack of mainstream appeal incomparison, Evangelion had the Eva fights to make the subtle tone of the show less dull to a mainstream audience because of the decent animation in the Eva fights in general wheres Utena was completely limited budget wise and had to be confined to Ohtori Academy so none of the large scale Eva had which meant for the show to put emphasis on the drama then action-based setpieces which could turn-off mainstream viewers and the complex plot and character acts makes the show hard for casual viewing because you may miss out on a major plotpoint or signifigent Character development but enough of that, it just seems easy for me to compare Skyward Sword to utena infact I posted a Softcore Fanfic on zelda universe that paired Ghirahim/Link and crossed over with SKU with Link as Utena and Ghirahim as the Rose bride/Groom but i thought It was abysmal and felt Juvenile at best so I'm going talk about it in full detail.

So that How I got into anime in general.

Edit1: I should of mention that the anime that I original watched first was DBZ and I did't really watch utena until last year.

Last edited by Rosesareawesome101 (10-20-2013 12:22:21 PM)

#7 | Back to Top10-22-2013 03:38:56 PM

zevrem
Banned

Reading about the main villains (not having played the game), I think that it was not a matter of copying Utena so much as copying the generic anime fantasy plot, i.e. bad guy tries to release badder guy into the world. What Utena did was have the "good" guys try to do this with the "gooder" guy.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#8 | Back to Top10-31-2013 10:42:25 PM

zevrem
Banned

I never really got why the bad guy was always so obsessed with releasing the badder guy into the world. I mean, in order to summon the badder guy, he'd have to be powerful enough to essentially rule the world already, opening the way for the badder guy would make him a subordinate.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#9 | Back to Top10-31-2013 10:43:27 PM

zevrem
Banned

Which kind of ties in to the duelists. I mean, they're already the "rulers" of their world, and they're not really visionary or creative enough to be "revolutionary." If they were given superpowers, they'd probably just use them to keep things exactly as they are.

#10 | Back to Top11-01-2013 12:39:12 AM

zevrem
Banned

Their only real desire, like all other bourgeoisie, is to partake of a mass-produced individuality.

Board footer