You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

MERCH SALE!! Starting on the 12th, we will be selling some exclusive merch from Movic and the Utena Exhibition in Japan!Check out the details here! (Dem teacups, guys... dem cameos...)

#1 | Back to Top01-26-2018 08:49:16 AM

Jotari
New Student

Wait, Miki's the same age as Nanamai?

So just joined the site and browsing through the recent threads and I see this one (Akio's English paper is hilarious by the way)

http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=4384

And people are saying Nanamai, Miki and Kozue are all in the same grade. This doesn't gel for me. Nanamai being a year younger than Utena and Anthy makes sense. She feels and acts younger. It's what I always expected from her. But Miki is much more established in the school. I find it hard to believe he's been put on the student council from the first month of middle school. Likewise, Kozue's sexual promiscuity is egregious a fourteen year old. But if she's freaking twelve!, then that's put a whole new light on her character for me. Did anyone else get the impression that Miki and his sister were in the bracket of a year older than Utena, rather than a year younger?

Edit: Also Miki helps Anthy and Utena with their maths homework. That makes much more sense if he's a grade higher than them, or at least in the same grade. By all rights they should be doing coursework he hasn't even started yet.

Last edited by Jotari (01-26-2018 08:55:24 AM)

#2 | Back to Top01-26-2018 10:11:03 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: Wait, Miki's the same age as Nanamai?

Well, according to the poster who said that Miki and Kozue were 12, they turn 13 during the first arc, so they're a bit older for most of the story at least.

Remember, Miki is considered somewhat of a prodigy, so that's why he's able to help Utena with math. "He's a total genius who's studying a college curriculum, even though he's a middle school freshman." -Wakaba, Episode 4 // He seems to be thought of as older than he actually is by not just us but the characters as well; in the same scene, Wakaba notes that he's popular with older girls.

im a shadow play girl irl

#3 | Back to Top01-26-2018 10:20:53 AM

HonorableShadow
Cow Bellhop
Website

I always just go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ over the ages in Utena. Everyone looks and acts older than they're supposed to be.

Rose tint my world...
Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.

#4 | Back to Top01-26-2018 08:50:13 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Yeah, it's textual that Miki, Kozue, and Nanami are middle school first-years, or American 7th-graders, which would make them 12 to 13 years old, and that Utena and her class are one year older. It's just a thing. Miki is a prodigy who is studying much more advanced curriculum, but he's still in the same grade as Nanami because skipping grades during the compulsory education years isn't really a thing in Japan (please disregard Azumanga Daioh). And if Kozue being so young makes you uncomfortable, well, #ThatsUtena

#5 | Back to Top01-27-2018 11:37:38 AM

Jotari
New Student

Dallbun wrote:

Yeah, it's textual that Miki, Kozue, and Nanami are middle school first-years, or American 7th-graders, which would make them 12 to 13 years old, and that Utena and her class are one year older. It's just a thing. Miki is a prodigy who is studying much more advanced curriculum, but he's still in the same grade as Nanami because skipping grades during the compulsory education years isn't really a thing in Japan (please disregard Azumanga Daioh). And if Kozue being so young makes you uncomfortable, well, #ThatsUtena

It's less feeling uncomfortable and more requiring a higher sense of suspension of disbelief.

#6 | Back to Top01-27-2018 03:11:34 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Due to the time problems ohtori has, maybe everyone's a bit older in some sense than they really "are"?

im a shadow play girl irl

#7 | Back to Top02-01-2018 09:19:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Arale wrote:

Due to the time problems ohtori has, maybe everyone's a bit older in some sense than they really "are"?

Nah, just blame the art style. See how they look as Sailor Moon characters? (Yes, the hair is a bit janky due to lack of options...and skill... but you get the point I'm making.)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GF1sOgADWsHguu0-NQg9ALkacaVwYIigmzeeFVZgUYQuJ_nCiO49hP7eTBMZuNKtPs1wBxrUTSv5fWfTsCFvQuJ3_f4kt3yroM-Qz-tQxZXMx4Wukh2w183fSStL3vy47g7TW0J0pbPqrLVwVPktoRnHcUpXdzmJIghQy7DgyXhTPrsX3DbWBxUE9AWNonkWajnlAnrPo5dGNI7E_CsESwWc5N4x_H-W_-HtLTDs1FLwNdQuciLFOUoE_B6Oo9_ipv_PIoCQkwQ8BQtBI3pv11iNsUhevLXe0sFqEMjJCdGMrUsUXXmJ-A0TImTXdjBxwmx4WzOhCyVZROchLr1G1vfUqY92YHsiqXEO2VoCUTU4e1pWGJx4jkK8FJmnw7ij8tvUwU-5Eun2BttEoJTYbrcAUiB06PWQYcRBj8fp2ED1R-o0vMbS57rZYLd9SnxM9nSwlj8_DBKiosNkci5gE19WKOXQaoWaRDllx5HhTl6iLXKe0bJ-u89HyoErKD1qhweJ3pCW0g94InwbhoKu2_QgW2v0afu34fT0mDzyXWUQVye3ulCrgo6sy4BFE6jynwGkNptKKGiS6Z4Sdqy1ZmO-OidWkj7De0Am_OU=w599-h374-no

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

Board footer