You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#1 | Back to Top05-26-2017 11:25:09 AM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
From: Beneath a starry sky
Registered: 01-17-2011
Posts: 180

New Manga Chapter!!

Hey everyone! New on ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 … ly/.116631
Chiho Saito will be drawing a new SKU chapter for Shogakukan's Flowers September issue! Whatever the content, I think it's amazing we're getting this after 20 years.

Offline

 

#2 | Back to Top05-26-2017 12:32:19 PM

Arale
Ballgoer
From: collective human consciousness
Registered: 12-07-2014
Posts: 145
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL


im a shadow play girl irl

Offline

 

#3 | Back to Top05-26-2017 01:05:59 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
From: is-real
Registered: 10-21-2016
Posts: 175

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Shiori said to belive in miracles. Now I totally am because this is a miracle.


If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

Offline

 

#4 | Back to Top05-26-2017 01:14:49 PM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Registered: 10-12-2013
Posts: 45
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

It's gonna be 60 pages long as well... I mean the 'chapters' in Utena always constituted an entire volume so I'm glad they're keeping that consistant.
If you haven't seen the pretty promo art as well, take a look here: http://natalie.mu/comic/news/234268. I'm so happy.

Offline

 

#5 | Back to Top05-26-2017 03:22:45 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper
From: USA
Registered: 01-27-2016
Posts: 29

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

I wonder what it'll be about...any predictions?


Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

Offline

 

#6 | Back to Top05-26-2017 04:47:49 PM

pagetheplush
Juri Jeerer
From: your dreams
Registered: 10-30-2015
Posts: 48
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

I never thought I'd see any new official Utena content in my lifetime, I'm so happy!! etc-loveetc-loveetc-love I wonder if Anthy and Utena will finally meet again... emot-redface


🌹Let's become like rose petals, blowing free!🌹

Offline

 

#7 | Back to Top05-26-2017 05:24:35 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper
From: USA
Registered: 01-27-2016
Posts: 29

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

I wonder if it'll be a sequel/continuation to the manga, or a side story/midquel


Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

Offline

 

#8 | Back to Top05-27-2017 12:32:17 AM

onsenmark
Spambane
From: The eastern U.S.... someplace.
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 543
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

*heavy breathing*


watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

Offline

 

#9 | Back to Top05-27-2017 08:55:38 AM

Revolutionary
Saionji Slapper
Registered: 04-01-2016
Posts: 28

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

This is the most important thing I've seen this year!

I hope Ikuni and the others are some how involved.

If I had to guess, I think it may be a sequel to either the manga, movie, or anime?


Rule 1: You can never be too sure what will happen next... -Ruby Redfort

Offline

 

#10 | Back to Top05-27-2017 01:20:39 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
From: is-real
Registered: 10-21-2016
Posts: 175

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Revolutionary wrote:

This is the most important thing I've seen this year!

I hope Ikuni and the others are some how involved.

If I had to guess, I think it may be a sequel to either the manga, movie, or anime?

Defiantly betting on the manga. Maybe the anime, but ikuni wouldn't let that happen imo. No way for the movie, would never do that. Didn't read the movie manga, so maybe that?

pagetheplush wrote:

I never thought I'd see any new official Utena content in my lifetime, I'm so happy!! etc-loveetc-loveetc-love I wonder if Anthy and Utena will finally meet again... emot-redface

So know were gonna see utena and anthy ride each other again... poptart

Last edited by itavin (05-27-2017 01:22:25 PM)


If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

Offline

 

#11 | Back to Top05-30-2017 06:25:31 AM

Revolutionary
Saionji Slapper
Registered: 04-01-2016
Posts: 28

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

itavin wrote:

Revolutionary wrote:

This is the most important thing I've seen this year!

I hope Ikuni and the others are some how involved.

If I had to guess, I think it may be a sequel to either the manga, movie, or anime?

Defiantly betting on the manga. Maybe the anime, but ikuni wouldn't let that happen imo. No way for the movie, would never do that. Didn't read the movie manga, so maybe that?

I like the idea of a movie manga sequel, but I feel there might not be a lot left to say if that. It's actually worth reading if you can find it (I was actually lucky to find a copy of the original) and is much better than the original manga.
But yeah, manga sequel is most likely. How did that end again?

Do you think the new chapter will be a one-shot or continuous? I'm hoping continuous, but they probably would have said that already.

Maybe it could be another new version to add to like the 5 we have already!

It's a great time to be a Utena fan this year.


Rule 1: You can never be too sure what will happen next... -Ruby Redfort

Offline

 

#12 | Back to Top05-30-2017 08:41:36 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
From: is-real
Registered: 10-21-2016
Posts: 175

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Revolutionary wrote:

itavin wrote:

Revolutionary wrote:

This is the most important thing I've seen this year!

I hope Ikuni and the others are some how involved.

If I had to guess, I think it may be a sequel to either the manga, movie, or anime?

Defiantly betting on the manga. Maybe the anime, but ikuni wouldn't let that happen imo. No way for the movie, would never do that. Didn't read the movie manga, so maybe that?

I like the idea of a movie manga sequel, but I feel there might not be a lot left to say if that. It's actually worth reading if you can find it (I was actually lucky to find a copy of the original) and is much better than the original manga.
But yeah, manga sequel is most likely. How did that end again?

Do you think the new chapter will be a one-shot or continuous? I'm hoping continuous, but they probably would have said that already.

Maybe it could be another new version to add to like the 5 we have already!

It's a great time to be a Utena fan this year.

Oh the manga ended with [ Utena becoming dios and then disappearing. Anthy was inspired by utena and took on a look alike uniform and attitude while going out to look for utena.] Very similar to the anime. But I do think it will be continuations. And who knows, maybe well get a new anime reboot or adaption of the manga!


If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

Offline

 

#13 | Back to Top05-30-2017 10:15:16 AM

Arale
Ballgoer
From: collective human consciousness
Registered: 12-07-2014
Posts: 145
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

I don't see this being a direct sequel to anything; the manga already leads thematically into the anime so I think continuing it would be odd. The movie-manga isn't really its own story either, just the movie but less weird and with a new cute ending. I'm thinking this might just be An Utena Story, with its position relative to anything else unimportant. Or a promotional for Rebuild of Utena

Last edited by Arale (05-30-2017 11:39:29 AM)


im a shadow play girl irl

Offline

 

#14 | Back to Top05-30-2017 10:44:54 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess
Registered: 04-09-2007
Posts: 2788

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

I want her to just go sideways with this, but that's not too likely.


My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Online

 

#15 | Back to Top05-30-2017 08:49:09 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan
Registered: 11-21-2009
Posts: 265

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Movie manga is good. It's included in the new special edition as well.

Offline

 

#16 | Back to Top06-06-2017 11:31:05 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Registered: 04-11-2012
Posts: 1312
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

For anyone interested in more info:

http://gorgeousshutin.tumblr.com/post/1 … manga-2017


(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 3 as of Sep 26, 2017) / (SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Updated to Part 43 as of Sep 08, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Offline

 

#17 | Back to Top06-06-2017 05:05:51 PM

Arale
Ballgoer
From: collective human consciousness
Registered: 12-07-2014
Posts: 145
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Oh my god, what? A straight-up new characters sequel? That's nuts; I really like Utena's open-ended endings that seem to lead into eachother, so I don't know how seriously I'm going to take this to any sort of "canon", but this really makes me think we might be getting more than just this chapter.


im a shadow play girl irl

Offline

 

#18 | Back to Top06-06-2017 06:12:45 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Registered: 04-11-2012
Posts: 1312
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Arale wrote:

Oh my god, what? A straight-up new characters sequel? That's nuts; I really like Utena's open-ended endings that seem to lead into eachother, so I don't know how seriously I'm going to take this to any sort of "canon", but this really makes me think we might be getting more than just this chapter.

The "new character" bit is still speculation by Asian fans at this point.  Though, with story apparently taking place at Ohtori years after Anthy leaving, that seem highly likely.  That, and should the new manga lead to a new anime, it's be easier for them to feature new characters.  Remember, Utena's VA is sadly no longer with us emot-frown


(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 3 as of Sep 26, 2017) / (SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Updated to Part 43 as of Sep 08, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Offline

 

#19 | Back to Top06-06-2017 11:02:59 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian
Registered: 02-04-2009
Posts: 377

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

I guess I'm the only one who's not a fan of this development at all. Little good ever comes of meddling with the lore of successful stories which have long since closed their books, and I can think of many examples where latter-day "continuations" or "sequels" have retroactively weakened - or even ruined - the original.

Utena is the very last thing I want to see tinkered with in this fashion. It is done and over, and should be left to be what it is.

Last edited by Aelanie (06-06-2017 11:05:55 PM)

Offline

 

#20 | Back to Top06-07-2017 09:55:58 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos
Registered: 10-19-2006
Posts: 689

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Aelanie wrote:

I guess I'm the only one who's not a fan of this development at all. Little good ever comes of meddling with the lore of successful stories which have long since closed their books, and I can think of many examples where latter-day "continuations" or "sequels" have retroactively weakened - or even ruined - the original.

Utena is the very last thing I want to see tinkered with in this fashion. It is done and over, and should be left to be what it is.

I agree with you in a general sense; Utena is not the kind of work that should have a sequel. It's best left as its complete, cult classic, idiosyncratic self. (Edit: Because I think a lot of the fun of the series comes from its ambiguities and room for different readings.)

However, whenever I say "Utena," I actually mean "the Utena anime." I personally care about the manga so little that I'm completely unconcerned what impact this has on its continuity, themes, or character arcs. So go for it! Make new characters! Reveal that Chu-Chu was Dios the whole time! Introduce Anthy and Akio's parents! For me, whatever this manga sequel ends up being will just add to the richness of the weird Utena apocrypha that surrounds the anime. There's an official Utena continuity where Utena turns into a car. There's one where Touga has sex with Miki. There's one where Anthy shoots zombies in the service of Osiris with a machine gun. Bring it on.

It's bonkers (or possibly bananas) that new Utena content is coming out at all, and I'm very curious to see what they do with it.

Last edited by Dallbun (06-07-2017 12:13:13 PM)

Offline

 

#21 | Back to Top06-07-2017 10:39:48 AM

Arale
Ballgoer
From: collective human consciousness
Registered: 12-07-2014
Posts: 145
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Aelanie wrote:

I can think of many examples where latter-day "continuations" or "sequels" have retroactively weakened - or even ruined - the original.

That's... entirely on you. I don't think I have to argue the points on this if that's how you feel, but I think many of us have moved past that idea.


im a shadow play girl irl

Offline

 

#22 | Back to Top06-12-2017 09:34:11 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper
Registered: 04-29-2016
Posts: 59

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

I'm with Dalbun here. I can't imagine this'd be in the same continuity as the anime or the movie, and the other continuities... they are really fun and fascinating and they shed some insight on some of the ideas behind Utena, but they aren't the same Utena and aren't even meant to be, so there's no reason for the things I don't like in them to affect my feelings on the Utena I love.

Last edited by At Times, Love Is (06-12-2017 09:34:35 AM)

Offline

 

#23 | Back to Top06-12-2017 11:19:01 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
From: Arkansas
Registered: 03-23-2017
Posts: 142
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

Too many things to agree or disagree with to quote anyone specifically.

I AM SO EXCITED
: So a few predictions:  You can't make a new chapter without the main characters, so we are def going to see Utena and Anthy again, the real mystery is how.  It could be after they leave Ohtori, so maybe it's the lives of the students after the events of the manga?

There will be a conversation between Saionji and Touga apparently, so it's not the movie manga either because Touga is dead.

Why do I keep saying manga?  Because this is a celebration of Saito's 35 years of work, Utena being the most well know to the world.  There's no way in this universe or any another that this will have to do with the anime or movie.

I would love to see Utena and Anthy married, but I realize what I am asking for from this artist.  She is, or at least was back in the day, super anti-LGBT...  She threatened to quit if Ikuhara had Utena and Anthy kiss according to some accounts.

Since it looks like we've nailed down this is going to be a continuation and not a "deleted scene"/side story; that's very exciting! 

From the way the manga ended I believe we will see the beginning of something as can be found in the last few pages: Anthy "When she and I meet once again... That is when it will begin."

Maybe we will get a true sequel.  I want to see the world that Utena and Anthy made together.


Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

Offline

 

#24 | Back to Top06-12-2017 12:49:56 PM

Arale
Ballgoer
From: collective human consciousness
Registered: 12-07-2014
Posts: 145
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

I might be repeating myself here, but I don't think literal continuity is really going to factor into this at all. It barely did in the first place; Chu-chu got his tie and ring in the manga and gave it back in the anime. "Continuing" the manga's story doesn't really make any sense to me, because to me it already thematically weaves into everything else.

Last edited by Arale (06-12-2017 12:54:50 PM)


im a shadow play girl irl

Offline

 

#25 | Back to Top06-12-2017 01:51:41 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
From: is-real
Registered: 10-21-2016
Posts: 175

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

LadyButterflyNebula wrote:

Too many things to agree or disagree with to quote anyone specifically.

I AM SO EXCITED
: So a few predictions:  You can't make a new chapter without the main characters, so we are def going to see Utena and Anthy again, the real mystery is how.  It could be after they leave Ohtori, so maybe it's the lives of the students after the events of the manga?

There will be a conversation between Saionji and Touga apparently, so it's not the movie manga either because Touga is dead.

Why do I keep saying manga?  Because this is a celebration of Saito's 35 years of work, Utena being the most well know to the world.  There's no way in this universe or any another that this will have to do with the anime or movie.

I would love to see Utena and Anthy married, but I realize what I am asking for from this artist.  She is, or at least was back in the day, super anti-LGBT...  She threatened to quit if Ikuhara had Utena and Anthy kiss according to some accounts.

Since it looks like we've nailed down this is going to be a continuation and not a "deleted scene"/side story; that's very exciting! 

From the way the manga ended I believe we will see the beginning of something as can be found in the last few pages: Anthy "When she and I meet once again... That is when it will begin."

Maybe we will get a true sequel.  I want to see the world that Utena and Anthy made together.

On the whole Saito is Anti-Lgbt... she did have utena and anthy kiss. In the movie manga. And in the original manga there is a lot of homoerotic subtext with the whole akio rose bride thing and utena and anthy did have some intimate scenes. Also she published sometime in her work a yaoi manga so yeah. She is on the was anti lgbt train

Also, I think that were most likely not going to continue the story from anthy perspective. I believe we will see a new cast in othori with new duelists and more secrets to discover about the duels and the school. But if we do get the straight up continuation of the story, that could be either cute or TOTALLY UNPREDICTABLE(no sarcasm involved)

Last edited by itavin (06-12-2017 01:52:23 PM)


If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement