You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

Anime News Network asked Gio & Yasha to write an article about Utena, Empty Movement, and they totally called us superfans, omg. Think of it as a belated Valentine's to Utena, its fandom, and the excellent friendships we've made along the way. 20 Years of Utena Fandom with the Ultimate Superfans!!!

#1 | Back to Top04-20-2017 04:47:29 PM

Shay Guy
New Student

Classic Streaming Reviews for Utena on Anime News Network

Didn't see a thread for this yet, so...

ANN's done episodic reviews for a couple older shows before, I believe just Paranoia Agent and Bakemonogatari so far. This time Jacob Chapman's doing  Chu...; so far  Chu..., focusing on masculine/feminine dualities and arguing that Utena succeeds in part because she's capable of balancing the two forces in ways that the student council can't.

He details his approach as follows:

While Utena clearly speaks to its fans on a powerful level, and its influence on the anime industry is undeniably massive, people who don't "get" Utena often fall back on a reasonable question: "If this story is so important, couldn't it have been told in a more approachable way?"

No. The short answer is "no." At the same time, this short answer helped lead me to my long answer of what I could contribute to Utena analysis after so many words have already been written over the last twenty years.

My goal is not just to help new viewers understand what happens in Utena, I want to help people appreciate how it happens. I want this retrospective to make Utena feel less intimidating without ridding it of the power that could only come from that intimidating way that the story is told. Besides, offering a bulleted, definitive breakdown of all the symbolism won't help anyone feel the emotions Utena explores any more than explaining a joke makes it funny. (It would also be antithetical to the spirit of avant-garde theater that inspires Ikuhara's work, which I'll talk about next week. Ikuhara is notorious for "trolling" people who ask for direct answers to what symbols mean in his work, and I can't say I blame him.)

I don't want to tell you what Utena is supposed to mean. I want to tell you why Utena makes me and other fans feel the way it does. I want to prove that this show is more than a postmodern fairytale for lovestruck teen girls, revolutionary or otherwise. If you've ever felt lonely, misunderstood, or like the only broken person in a society you couldn't relate to (especially if it's because of your gender or sexuality), Utena is a story for you, and I want to make the journey fun.

He's planning on covering the series in 24 reviews. I'm interested to see where he goes.

#2 | Back to Top04-22-2017 06:34:55 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Re: Classic Streaming Reviews for Utena on Anime News Network

Thanks for the tip, Shay Guy! I'll be following these. I love Jacob as a writer and analyst.

#3 | Back to Top04-24-2017 10:23:27 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Miki Molester
Website

Re: Classic Streaming Reviews for Utena on Anime News Network

Noice.  At least this will bring new fans to the series (hopefully).

I really want some 20th anniversary stuff happening.  There's very little out there (that I have seen at leas)

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

Board footer