You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#1 | Back to Top02-28-2017 08:06:55 PM

HonorableShadow
Cow Bellhop
Website

Utena reference in Little Witch Academia

It's a little hard to get a picture since they never showed the whole thing, but here's the best I could do.  It happened in episode 8.
http://i.imgur.com/zqj99r8.png

She even rides a car up part of it in the beginning
http://i.imgur.com/2bxacVQ.png

After that she cuts her way through some thorn vines to try and wake up her sleeping friend.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (02-28-2017 08:07:14 PM)

Rose tint my world...
Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.

#2 | Back to Top02-28-2017 08:41:31 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: Utena reference in Little Witch Academia

I saw it, and the "circling car" part certainly did put me in mind of Utena, but I assumed it was unintentional, since Trigger appears to be more beholden to Western animation references than Japanese ones. The thorn part was also more of a Sleeping Beauty reference.

#3 | Back to Top03-08-2017 12:31:50 PM

Wolfgang
New Student

I thought the same. This chapter is about the "id" (in Freud lines) of Sucy, and have a lot of references from other animes (and games, like Piramid Head from Silent Hill); so isn't wild to think that the spiral staircase is a Utena reference, and the almost-kiss between Sucy an Akko... emot-biggrin

#4 | Back to Top03-08-2017 02:42:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
Website

For absolutely no rational reason I'm immediately going 'I don't think it was intentional' because the steering wheel is on the wrong side. emot-redface

Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Board footer