You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

Anime News Network asked Gio & Yasha to write an article about Utena, Empty Movement, and they totally called us superfans, omg. Think of it as a belated Valentine's to Utena, its fandom, and the excellent friendships we've made along the way. 20 Years of Utena Fandom with the Ultimate Superfans!!!

#1 | Back to Top03-04-2017 01:58:53 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Qualified Duellist
Registered: 11-18-2012
Posts: 798
Website

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

In case you missed the news (or were wondering in general) HOLY SHIT THIS SHOW IS GOOD.  If you somehow got here without watching it, you should go do that.  You're on a fan-site for SKU, so here's a brief comparison: it's in a realistic setting, so it's much less stylistic and more subdued, but from the first season of Rakugo, I'd say they're a pretty close match in the character drama department, and I cannot think of another anime I would say that about.

Anyways, there seems to be some interest around the show on the forum, and, well, it's good enough that I'm down to talk about it.  And not clog up the recommendations thread.  So, you know the deal.  What did you like?  What would you like to have seen done differently?  What are your theories, predictions, or things you're unclear about?

Also can someone (possibly myself) make up a name guide because FFFFUUUUUUUUUU-


"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Offline

 

#2 | Back to Top03-04-2017 02:54:18 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Qualified Duellist
Registered: 11-18-2012
Posts: 798
Website

Re: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

Bringing this over from the Anime Recommendation thread:

YamPuff wrote:

It's so slashable though. It would have been such a good BL. T__T Here's hoping it gets gayer.

Honestly, this is one of the few stories where that isn't really a complaint for me?  And really, it usually is.

But when it comes to the central (platonic) relationship of the series, I think it's sold really well as-is.  It's… complete.   Believable.  The characters are really important to each other, and I know that because the show demonstrates that, and things go to shit when they try to distance themselves from one another.  (Kinda reluctant to say more in case you've not seen the whole thing.)  And there's a tension in that, in a really close relationship that isn't romantic.  Like, maybe it's closer than it's allowed to be.

And throughout the series, characters interact fairly closely with what is expected of them.  Like, there's a transgressive element to Main Character Dude adopting feminine roles, except it exists in a context where that's okay, except when it isn't because it's banned.  Were it in keeping with the show's quality, a same-sex romance would have devoured the show's runtime, since it would throw such a huge wrench in how those characters interact with societal expectations, (you are totally supposed to settle down and get married to a RESPECTABLE woman) how they think of themselves, and how they deal with balancing their private and public lives, and since the show focuses so much on that… it would really, really change the plot.  Drastically.

I like what we got, ergo I'm okay with it not being more gay.

But Present (well… 80's) Main Character Dude and Yakuza Dude should totally be a thing.  Having not seen how the present (well… 80's) plot turns out, I am 1000% down with that.


"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Offline

 

#3 | Back to Top03-05-2017 01:38:44 PM

YamPuff
Eternal Eschatologist
Registered: 02-13-2007
Posts: 897

Re: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Bringing this over from the Anime Recommendation thread:

YamPuff wrote:

It's so slashable though. It would have been such a good BL. T__T Here's hoping it gets gayer.

Honestly, this is one of the few stories where that isn't really a complaint for me?  And really, it usually is.

But when it comes to the central (platonic) relationship of the series, I think it's sold really well as-is.  It's… complete.   Believable.  The characters are really important to each other, and I know that because the show demonstrates that, and things go to shit when they try to distance themselves from one another.  (Kinda reluctant to say more in case you've not seen the whole thing.)  And there's a tension in that, in a really close relationship that isn't romantic.  Like, maybe it's closer than it's allowed to be.

And throughout the series, characters interact fairly closely with what is expected of them.  Like, there's a transgressive element to Main Character Dude adopting feminine roles, except it exists in a context where that's okay, except when it isn't because it's banned.  Were it in keeping with the show's quality, a same-sex romance would have devoured the show's runtime, since it would throw such a huge wrench in how those characters interact with societal expectations, (you are totally supposed to settle down and get married to a RESPECTABLE woman) how they think of themselves, and how they deal with balancing their private and public lives, and since the show focuses so much on that… it would really, really change the plot.  Drastically.

I like what we got, ergo I'm okay with it not being more gay.

But Present (well… 80's) Main Character Dude and Yakuza Dude should totally be a thing.  Having not seen how the present (well… 80's) plot turns out, I am 1000% down with that.

I'm only on episode 4 so far but I root for them mostly because they are my ideal OTP (awkward introvert x charismatic extrovert) but narratively it would probably not make sense.

I am happy to hear the yakuza guy returns. emot-biggrin


http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Offline

 

#4 | Back to Top03-05-2017 11:37:37 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Qualified Duellist
Registered: 11-18-2012
Posts: 798
Website

Re: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

YamPuff wrote:

I am happy to hear the yakuza guy returns. emot-biggrin

I, uh, don't quote me on that.

Honestly, I've not seen next season, so I have no idea.  Almost none of Season 1 takes place in the modern/80's time period, so…

yeah.


"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Offline

 

#5 | Back to Top03-25-2017 02:13:06 PM

YamPuff
Eternal Eschatologist
Registered: 02-13-2007
Posts: 897

Re: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

The part where Bon and Shin do a rakugo performance together was too precious and amazing for words. Incredible. I am not worthy to watch.
This is a rare occasion for me, but I love them as friends so much I am actually glad they did not go the slash route!

Is there some significance to Shin's daughter having red hair? Neither of her parents have, and the series does not do the anime rainbow colored hair thing. It's unusual.


http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Offline

 

#6 | Back to Top03-25-2017 02:20:53 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Qualified Duellist
Registered: 11-18-2012
Posts: 798
Website

Re: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

Which performance they do together?  The one at the village inn?

I never really noticed a significance to the hair color, but that might be because I'm an unobservant lout.  Or just to make sure that she's recognizable.


"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Offline

 

#7 | Back to Top03-26-2017 12:26:16 PM

YamPuff
Eternal Eschatologist
Registered: 02-13-2007
Posts: 897

Re: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Which performance they do together?  The one at the village inn?

When they do a rakugo together for the little girl, and take turns saying the lines. emot-biggrin (I might have got their names wrong)


http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Offline

 

#8 | Back to Top03-26-2017 02:46:43 PM

HonorableShadow
Cow Bellhop
From: Ohio
Registered: 11-03-2006
Posts: 459
Website

Re: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

I'm so glad I watched this series. It's one of my all time favorites now. emot-gonk I just wish they'd put out official DVDs so I could support the series. They are putting out Bon and Shin figures soon though so I'm probably going to buy those at least.

The second to last episode of the series was my all time favorite. I loved [ seeing the afterlife and seeing Bon and Shin reunited for a little while. That ending made me cry hard though.]

Edit: Interesting video about the making of Rakugo:  Chu...

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-27-2017 03:59:48 PM)


Rose tint my world...
Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement