You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#126 | Back to Top08-05-2016 09:21:28 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist
From: Portugal
Registered: 09-10-2007
Posts: 741

Re: The All-Encompassing Sailor Moon Thread

I watched Sailor Moon as a child and absolutely loved it for all sorts of reasons. I think it was the first time I ever watched a female heroine who actually had adventures herself instead of taking the backseat or being the eternal damsel in distress (even if the first season does suffer from this a bit) and that really resonated with me. With all that, though, said heroine simply drove me absolutely insane at almost every given opportunity. I truly hated Usagi but fortunately the other characters all made it up for her insufferably bratty ways. It probably did not help that I was much younger than Usagi in-universe and could not conceive how a teenager could be more of a crybaby than anyone my age I knew.

Later I watched it as a grownup, in its entirety and in Japanese and fell in love with it all over again. I still dislike Usagi and I doubt that will ever change. I understand that she does grow a lot and there are moments when even I am rooting for her but her character just does not appeal to me. I also understand that the series has its own inner logic that demand everyone to be willing to let the entire universe die instead of even contemplating the possibility of killing Usagi but it always maddened me.

Speaking of Luna and Artemis, fun fact: the Portuguese dub managed to switch their genders. I suspect this was done accidentally (it did change Zoisite into a girl as well but that may have been deliberate) and it is very fortunate that they went for a male/female pair, despite gender flipped. Otherwise it would have been very difficult to explain some later developments down the line.

Offline

 

#127 | Back to Top08-06-2016 01:03:40 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester
From: Orlando, FL
Registered: 05-31-2016
Posts: 38

Re: The All-Encompassing Sailor Moon Thread

Nocturnalux wrote:

I watched Sailor Moon as a child and absolutely loved it for all sorts of reasons. I think it was the first time I ever watched a female heroine who actually had adventures herself instead of taking the backseat or being the eternal damsel in distress (even if the first season does suffer from this a bit) and that really resonated with me. With all that, though, said heroine simply drove me absolutely insane at almost every given opportunity. I truly hated Usagi but fortunately the other characters all made it up for her insufferably bratty ways. It probably did not help that I was much younger than Usagi in-universe and could not conceive how a teenager could be more of a crybaby than anyone my age I knew.

I cannot relate to this enough. I started watching Sailor Moon when I was twelve and it instantly became my favorite show at the time. I like seeing badass girls fighting to save mankind. Much like you, I could not stand Usagi but I loved literally all of the other Sailor Scouts. I remember going on and on about my hatred for Usagi. Also, now that I'm an adult, she doesn't bother me as much but she still bothers me. Yes, she's cute and funny at times but far too often she is downright annoying. A big part of my annoyance towards her was her rivalry with Chibiusa. How can she be so jealous of a child.? emot-rofl

Offline

 

#128 | Back to Top08-06-2016 08:23:00 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester
From: Salisbury, Maryland, USA
Registered: 05-27-2016
Posts: 36

Re: The All-Encompassing Sailor Moon Thread

When I was a kid in elementary school I had this shy interest in Sailor Moon that only went as far as glances at the Sailor Scouts character guidebooks (anyone remember these?) and reading StarS volume 1. After reading this volume I told my guy friends something like "that Sailor Moon stuff is actually cool." But they didn't show much interest. So many years down the line I have decided to watch all 200some episodes of the original anime since I feel like I missed out by not watching it as a kid. After watching 94 episodes I'm enjoying it and loving Sailors Jupiter, Mars, and Uranus. Now that I know there are live action adaptations of the series I'll have to check those out later on.

Offline

 

#129 | Back to Top08-06-2016 11:29:47 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos
Registered: 10-19-2006
Posts: 689

Re: The All-Encompassing Sailor Moon Thread

deeds24 wrote:

After watching 94 episodes I'm enjoying it and loving Sailors Jupiter, Mars, and Uranus. Now that I know there are live action adaptations of the series I'll have to check those out later on.

Yeah, do! The two live action branches are the live action TV show (usually called PGSM by the English fanbase, because that's when the official English title of the show started to be "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon" instead of "Pretty Soldier") and the musicals.

The musicals can be an acquired taste and vary in quality (I do not recommend starting with the first couple, in particular), but at their best they're pretty excellent. The new series of shows, beginning with 2013's La Reconquista, is probably a solid place to start, especially since they're still ongoing.

PGSM can be campy and low-budget, but if you're into the 90s anime you can take a little camp, and the acting and characterizations carry a whole lot of weight. I think PGSM Makoto might be the very best Makoto of all, which is high praise indeed. Also Ami and Usagi, and Rei and Minako if you're not too attached to their anime characterizations, and... well, the cast is pretty great all around. emot-smile Except maybe Mamoru, who IMO is the second-most punchable Mamoru, right after Hidemasa Edo from the Dracul musicals.

Online

 

#130 | Back to Top08-07-2016 11:17:43 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist
From: Portugal
Registered: 09-10-2007
Posts: 741

Re: The All-Encompassing Sailor Moon Thread

maridaberri wrote:

Nocturnalux wrote:

I watched Sailor Moon as a child and absolutely loved it for all sorts of reasons. I think it was the first time I ever watched a female heroine who actually had adventures herself instead of taking the backseat or being the eternal damsel in distress (even if the first season does suffer from this a bit) and that really resonated with me. With all that, though, said heroine simply drove me absolutely insane at almost every given opportunity. I truly hated Usagi but fortunately the other characters all made it up for her insufferably bratty ways. It probably did not help that I was much younger than Usagi in-universe and could not conceive how a teenager could be more of a crybaby than anyone my age I knew.

I cannot relate to this enough. I started watching Sailor Moon when I was twelve and it instantly became my favorite show at the time. I like seeing badass girls fighting to save mankind. Much like you, I could not stand Usagi but I loved literally all of the other Sailor Scouts. I remember going on and on about my hatred for Usagi. Also, now that I'm an adult, she doesn't bother me as much but she still bothers me. Yes, she's cute and funny at times but far too often she is downright annoying. A big part of my annoyance towards her was her rivalry with Chibiusa. How can she be so jealous of a child.? emot-rofl

I could, to some extent, understand Usagi's initial very negative reaction to Chibiusa. True, it is very immature (but the Freudian undertones are delicious) but Chibiusa starts out being so utterly insufferable that in Usagi's shoes I would probably have dumped her on Tokyo bay with cement shoes. Chibiusa is in a very difficult situation but unfortunately she is like the distilled manifestation of everything that was ever wrong with Usagi plus smugness and an ability to fake a cute kid fašade to endear herself to others and turn them against Usagi. Oddly enough, Chibiusa's advent made me appreciate Usagi more. I used to say that Chibiusa would make a great ad for contraception.
Unlike Usagi, I never came to care even one whit for Chibiusa and only tolerate her. It does not help that Chibiusa's token boyfriend has even less a presence than Mamoru. She only becomes passable when Hotaru is involved.

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement