You are not logged in.

#1 | Back to Top03-21-2014 03:58:14 PM

zevrem
Banned

What "common" emotions make you suspicious?

Sentimentality makes me write people off. 99.999% of the time the purpose of sentimentality is to get people to agree to something that is completely stupid. Jung was absolutely right when he said that sentimentality is the superstructure built on top of brutality.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#2 | Back to Top03-21-2014 05:36:18 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Re: What "common" emotions make you suspicious?

Euphoria does. Unless you're in love or have given birth you have no reason to be that way.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#3 | Back to Top03-21-2014 06:13:46 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Flat affect, which isn't an emotion at all, but rather the lack of proper expression of emotion.  Mostly, though, it just makes me wonder if you have a personality or mental disorder.  Nothing to be ashamed of, but I wonder.  You could just be tired, or not nuerotypical, or hard of hearing or pretty much anything.  Too much criminology study. 

And I wouldn't be suspicious of people feeling euphoric, Riri.  It's more or less extreme happiness and feelings of contentment, specifically the happiness of being alive and being a person.  Certain drugs can induce these feelings, of course, but so can any accomplishment (like an athlete winning the gold) and basically anything that gives someone a philosophical epiphany or understanding of who they and the world are in (some religious events, for example).  I don't mean to nitpick, but it almost sounds like you feel that romantic love and babies are the strongest form of happiness out there, and that other experiences are not legitimate outside of that.   Like when people would tell me I'll never understand true happiness, or joy, or pride, or fear, or anything until I have a child.   emot-frown

This makes me sad because I don't ever plan on having children (in fact, being pregnant would probably cause me to kill myself, I fear and an repulsed by it so much) and feel little to no romantic feelings and have no plans for marriage or even casual dating.  But I want to believe that I can and have felt euphoria, that I do have my own special connections between my sense of self and the world and the people in it, and that they are different but still strong and worthy.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-21-2014 06:14:14 PM)

#4 | Back to Top03-21-2014 09:06:39 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I loathe it when people get upset at me for flat effect. If I say that I am happy, I'm happy. If I say that I am sad, I'm sad. What's so hard about that? Would it really make you happier if I pulled faces at you? Would it seriously make any difference to the conversation? Why should I have to turn myself into a stage actor to make you happy? Why should I give a flying fuck whether or not you're happy in the first place? Why fucking anything?

#5 | Back to Top03-22-2014 06:38:39 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I want to believe that I can and have felt euphoria, that I do have my own special connections between my sense of self and the world and the people in it, and that they are different but still strong and worthy.

Amen.

For me, the clear answer is confidence.  When it comes to topics that I suspect are complicated, the more confident someone is of their opinion, the more I suspect they haven't looked at all sides of the story, or else are reading evidence selectively.  This is not necessarily fair of me.  My own experience is that the more I study a question, the less certain I am of the answer, but there's no particular reason that ought to be true for everyone.  Some people are better able than me to consider many possible answers, find the merits of each, and then confidently pick a side in spite of understanding why a reasonable person could pick the other side.  And there are still other situations where maybe you don't have to understand where the opposing side is coming from to know what's right and what's wrong.  But it makes me suspicious anyway, because when I'm in the identical situation I'm usually left feeling like I don't know shit.  And I'm not just generalizing from my own example, because there are indeed plenty of examples of people who are very confident in their positions on complex subjects without evidently having given the opposing point of view a fair hearing -- from media commentators to Congresspeople to graduate school professors to people on Tumbr.  And I'm not exempt either.

#6 | Back to Top03-22-2014 10:01:22 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I buy into most emotions, or declared mental states without hesitation. Tell me you're euphoric, sad, sure, in love and I will believe it unless there's gross evidence to the contrary.

I dislike hate, and I'm not sure I ever felt it, but I will take someone's word for it, if they say they feel it.

I actually wish I could learn to doubt the espoused emotional states of others more readily, in some circumstances. Life could be easier if I were capable of weeding out when someone is talking of hate, but not feeling it, or pushing themselves to be happy against the more real depression, that sort of thing.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#7 | Back to Top03-22-2014 02:43:00 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I buy into most emotions, or declared mental states without hesitation. Tell me you're euphoric, sad, sure, in love and I will believe it unless there's gross evidence to the contrary.

Oh, sure!  I don't think anyone was implying otherwise.  If you tell me you're confident, as a rule I'll believe you're confident.  What I'm suspicious of is whether your confidence is merited.  Likewise, I don't think Riri was saying she doesn't believe that people who haven't recently been in love or had babies can be euphoric; she was saying she suspects that the reasons for their euphoria might not be legitimate in her eyes.  I think!  I'm putting words in your mouth here, Riri, sorry if I misunderstood you!

#8 | Back to Top03-22-2014 08:18:15 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

satyreyes wrote:

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Oh, sure!  I don't think anyone was implying otherwise.  If you tell me you're confident, as a rule I'll believe you're confident.  What I'm suspicious of is whether your confidence is merited.  Likewise, I don't think Riri was saying she doesn't believe that people who haven't recently been in love or had babies can be euphoric; she was saying she suspects that the reasons for their euphoria might not be legitimate in her eyes.  I think!  I'm putting words in your mouth here, Riri, sorry if I misunderstood you!

Granted, I put words in there as well.

#9 | Back to Top03-22-2014 09:56:32 PM

zevrem
Banned

One of my favorite quotes from the Tao Te Ching:

Sincere words are not sweet,
Sweet words are not sincere.

I don't trust people who, as Nietzsche put it, "drink too deeply of humanity." Doing this always inspires mental fatigue and the degeneration of character. This includes moralists and people who spend too much time "networking."

Last edited by zevrem (03-25-2014 12:21:36 AM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

Board footer