You are not logged in.

#1 | Back to Top03-15-2014 02:01:33 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

2001: A space odyssey mini-review and the problem with Modern art.

The movie that defined what most people tend think of arthouse movies, a movie that paced so awfully that most movie-goers would of been asleep after the 15 minutes of no dialogue and uneventful scenes, the kind of movie that hipsters used to make themselves look smart but in reality nothing meaningful has happen over the course of it 148 runtime and the movie ends on a incomprehensible note.

Honestly the ultimate reason why this film was appraised was because of its special effects, not as a art film; rather then writing down a defined plot then build a movie around it, Stanley Kubrick wanted the movie to be more of visual showcase of special effect that would immerse the viewer into it's hard sci-fi setting but the movie lack a actual plot that keep the viewers engage and the pacing was piss poor with scenes and shots going on for way too, the characters are virtually none existent aside from Hal so the viewers can't relate to anyone which is a problem because Kubrick's probaly wanted to immerse the viewers into it's realistic sci-fi setting and showcase what life in space could be like in the future but it won't work because there's no character people would relate to and used as their avatar in this setting.

But the biggest problem with this movie is it's snobbish fanbase overall,  within the movie's fandom, the movie  is considered to be a sacred cow and that anybody that bashes the movie is a dumbass who watches the lowest forms of art(Aka. most people).
This is the problem with modern art and it's that anything can been define as art and there will be hipsters and elitist that are willing to defend it as a piece despite its flaws; the best example of this these are art games like Dear Esther, Journey, Gone home, Proteus and more mainstream game like anything by Team Ico(Ico and Shadow of the colossus), David cage games and one of the biggest cult game to come out of the 90s; Earthbound, a dragon quest clone that almost has the exact same mechanics and a straightforward Jrpg plot that defined by it quirky humor and modern setting which appeal to the kind of hipsters that want their's games to be weird and quirky.

#2 | Back to Top03-15-2014 02:54:16 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: 2001: A space odyssey mini-review and the problem with Modern art.

Or... it's a movie you don't like, but lots of people do. And, it bothers you that your arbitrary, personal rules of good cinema aren't being observed in one very successful forty-six-year-old movie.

Saying "hipsters" a lot doesn't change the fact you're complaining an almost fifty year old movie isn't - and never tried to be - something you've decided it should have or could have been.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#3 | Back to Top03-15-2014 03:55:29 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Or... it's a movie you don't like, but lots of people do. And, it bothers you that your arbitrary, personal rules of good cinema aren't being observed in one very successful forty-six-year-old movie.

Saying "hipsters" a lot doesn't change the fact you're complaining an almost fifty year old movie isn't - and never tried to be - something you've decided it should have or could have been.

Yeah but read this thread title, 2001: A space odyssey mini-review and the problem with Modern art, The main point of this thread ultimately is to discuss my distaste for Modern and Minimalist art, I've grown to personally hate minimalist art because of it pretentious nature, its when the author of the piece is trying way to hard to be simplistic and it's shares the same problems with modern art when a painting that's just the color blue with a white in middle could be considered art, here's a picture of it:
http://nordonart.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/30-40-lot-17.jpg?w=600&h=502
to make thing, that piece is about 30-40 million acording to this site:
http://nordonart.wordpress.com/2013/05/ … -art-sale/

and here the thing with 2001: a space odyssey has't aged that well, it was a important movie in the context of decade it was release but these days, it's flaws started to become apparent, it's the dissonance between older and newer viewers, the older viewer grew up with the movie when it was release and develop a snobbish attitude towards Newer viewers who trying to prove that the movie is't that much of a masterpiece that they perceive it to be, it's the problem with Nostalgia, even when the movie itself is a piece of shit, children are going remembering it fondly in someway but in the case of 2001: a space oddyssey, it Art students and Snobs trying to defend a almost 50 year old movie that most people were starting to realize that it was not that great in the first place.

#4 | Back to Top03-15-2014 06:56:06 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Rosesareawesome101 wrote:

Yeah but read this thread title, 2001: A space odyssey mini-review and the problem with Modern art, The main point of this thread ultimately is to discuss my distaste for Modern and Minimalist art,

Nothing you cover is "the problem with modern art," but your problems with some kinds of movies. Your posing it as an objective problem, as an objective analysis, and it's not.

Nor, is 2001 either "modern" (it's almost fifty years old) or Modernist/Modern.

it's the dissonance between older and newer viewers, the older viewer grew up with the movie when it was release and develop a snobbish attitude towards Newer viewers who trying to prove that the movie is't that much of a masterpiece that they perceive it to be,

That's ridiculous. And, pretentious.

As is:

it's the problem with Nostalgia, even when the movie itself is a piece of shit, children are going remembering it fondly in someway but in the case of 2001: a space oddyssey, it Art students and Snobs trying to defend a almost 50 year old movie that most people were starting to realize that it was not that great in the first place.

"Children are going to remember it fondly"?

So, if someone dislikes it and sees only flaws, they are an honest critic. But if someone enjoys it or feels it has anything of worth, they're either old, children, or hipsters because you don't like it?

You're not even offering evidence for anything. You're just insulting anyone who disagrees with you and positioning your personal feelings as law. I'm not the movie's biggest fan, but why should I feel inclined to consider your points in depth without evidence and while the points are accompanied by a condescending tone and name-calling?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top03-15-2014 08:59:48 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

No accounting for taste, I guess. 2001's slow pace and quiet, long scenes always seemed very spot-on to me, since the film is taking place in space, which is pretty quiet and calm, with things floating around slowly and all...Also it was very revolutionary and decades ahead of it's time, at least technologically and subject-wise, you have to hand it that. Very little (if any) modern SF would have happened if someone didn't take that bold step. But again, no accounting for taste emot-keke

I think a lot of this ''hipster issue'' going around is due to some people assuming other people like and enjoy things solely based on the image they want to build of themselves and the impression they want to leave. What if the movies and games and art you mentioned are popular because people genuinely like them, not because they are snobs and want to appear sophisticated and alternative? Maybe we don't understand the appeal of some of it, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Fortunately, there is something for everyone out there, so I don't really see an issue anywhere emot-confused

Board footer