You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#51 | Back to Top02-14-2010 04:50:56 PM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror
From: In a cold place
Registered: 12-18-2009
Posts: 228

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

What vitamins do you absorb, and what ones don't you absorb?


Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

Offline

 

#52 | Back to Top02-14-2010 04:54:02 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
From: Virginia
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2095

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Aya wrote:

What vitamins do you absorb, and what ones don't you absorb?

Oh, I'm really really curious about this too. I used to take vitamins (Flintstones, yeah, I know.. and calcium supplements) but I heard that its pointless to take vitamins because your body doesn't absorb most of them. Is that true? What about chewables vs. vitamins you swallow?


"There’s no starting over, no new beginnings, time races on
And you've just gotta keep on keeping on"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/Tushen/cupcake_mini2.gif

Offline

 

#53 | Back to Top02-16-2010 04:17:58 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
From: Cloudcuckooland
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2506
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

I FINALLY managed to get my sister a doctor's appointment. (My GP is like a fucking club.) I've been calling forever to get her an appointment.

Need to get this straightened out before the next year when she goes to college. emot-gonk


The thing is, lots of people in my family have mental issues, but seriously, every time they managed to see a psychiatrist, they fucked them up even worse. So my family hates them with a passion.


http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/leeness/Ruka--Juri-banner-1.png

Only a lemming must be concerned with the ends of the world.

Offline

 

#54 | Back to Top02-17-2010 12:43:47 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist
From: Tx,USA
Registered: 01-18-2010
Posts: 956

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

^Going to one when I was younger because of emoness, I found psychiatrist can really suck a lot. My normal doctor is the one that helped me start recovering from depression issues. Psychiatrist can also only work with what they're given with and some people are too self conscious to admit everything they have trouble with. Doctors I find are more "human" so it's easier to open up to them. Psychiatrist seem cold and unloving lol.

Anyway my question: I may be studying to be a nurse but I'm not as knowledgeable as the very intelligent Ms. Gio emot-smile I have a small patch of tinea versia on my neck (most just call it skin fungus, I get it about a couple times a year) it tends to go away within a couple months time but I know selsun blue helps because of the selenium, so I tried it out and it's working but it irritates my skin badly. Anyway to help with that? I read yogurt is also a good thing... but that's eating yogurt right, not applying? What kind of yogurt should I eat? Anything else I should try? Any specific fungus cream?

Also I noticed my hair is really starting to thin out, I'm to young to bald! Any way to restore it before it gets bad?

Thanks!

Last edited by chrisb (02-17-2010 12:53:29 AM)


http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

Offline

 

#55 | Back to Top02-18-2010 05:43:40 AM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
From: USA, Arkansas
Registered: 12-24-2007
Posts: 1815
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

What does it mean when you feel as though you're itching underneath your skin? I got those, and I hate them, because scratching doesn't help. I actually have to pinch or massage my flesh to get relief. emot-frown


The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

Offline

 

#56 | Back to Top02-18-2010 08:20:35 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

KissFromARose wrote:

most doctors are idiots

I've been watching the residents do differentials a lot this term and I've figured out that despite several more years of training, the vast majority of the time, I come to the same conclusions in the same amount of time and often haven't seen as much of the client's chart. I coulda done that shit. emot-frown

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Aya wrote:

What vitamins do you absorb, and what ones don't you absorb?

Oh, I'm really really curious about this too. I used to take vitamins (Flintstones, yeah, I know.. and calcium supplements) but I heard that its pointless to take vitamins because your body doesn't absorb most of them. Is that true? What about chewables vs. vitamins you swallow?

You absorb all of them, the question is whether you keep them; people that take 1000x the RDA for Vitamin C when they're sick? They piss all that out. Your body only retains what it requires, and giving it more of something really just gives you more to piss--the danger is in people who overdose to the point of kidney impairment. Bad. But this is far less likely than you not getting enough of something. Loosely speaking, it's very difficult to OD on vitamins (easier with the fat-solubles, ADEK), it's really minerals like calcium, potassium, and sodium that we as nurses/medical folk look at. You'll notice on those multivitamins that 'cover everything' that they never give you 100% of your potassium, calcium, iron...the reason being you OD on those and you get sick, the body is far less likely to piss them out gracefully. To give you an idea--every time your bloodwork is drawn, we look at those. We don't look at how much vitamin C you get unless we think it's not enough. We care about your potassium because your heart stops if you get too much of it.

To answer the question of multivitamins...I take them. The truth is I've never seen a consistent answer as to whether they're beneficial or not--everyone agrees that ideally you should get these things through your diet--pills don't fix a shitty diet, and no, they don't 'absorb' as well. But really, they can't hurt unless you take 10 a day, and for my money I'd rather make sure I get enough of everything. The irony is the stuff you really have to worry about isn't typically in those--make sure you get enough calcium. That's one people tend to fall short on and it doesn't come back to haunt them until later in life. The other frequently under-consumed mineral is iron. And in my opinion, the omega fatty acids should be considered a vitamin or mineral or something just so people would pay attention to them--they're vitally important and a lot of people don't get enough or the right balance of them.

Finally, chewables and not chewables, it's all the same. Chewable or liquid medication absorbs through the stomach faster, but that's not important in vitamins, only that it happens at all.

Shrinks

I don't remember my run-in with shrinks fondly either, but I don't discredit the entire value of the profession based on it. They're overused, improperly used, and often their training doesn't prepare them for reality (kinda like us). The problem with shrinks is they're not like doctors who all have generally the same training--the shrink you use has to suit you and your needs, and people don't realize that you have to shop for a shrink. One person might need a psychotherapy sit on the couch shrink, another (anorexics) benefits more from a behavioral modification approach. The philosophy and methods of the shrink need to match the diagnosis and the personality. This almost never happens.

chrisb wrote:

I have a small patch of tinea versia on my neck (most just call it skin fungus, I get it about a couple times a year) it tends to go away within a couple months time but I know selsun blue helps because of the selenium, so I tried it out and it's working but it irritates my skin badly. Anyway to help with that? I read yogurt is also a good thing... but that's eating yogurt right, not applying? What kind of yogurt should I eat? Anything else I should try? Any specific fungus cream?

Yogurt is a Secret Chinese Treatment for vaginal yeast infections, but consuming it hasn't proved helpful in studies and it's impractical for putting on your neck. Also most yogurt is loaded with sugar which defeats the purpose. Selsun Blue is probably the least irritating shampoo product you're gonna get, but you'll see several anti-dandruff shampoos if you look around. If this is rare, my suggestions would be to try getting a 7-day dose of vaginal yeast cream and using the cream if you're super cheap and hate doctors, or going to a doctor and getting a script for a basic nice and strong antifungal cream. Or just grab any sort of antifungal cream from the pharmacy: treatments for vaginal yeast, jock itch, and athlete's foot are all the same antifungals in various preparations. The benefit of using creams is they're less irritating to the skin, and you can mix them with a little UNSCENTED SIMPLE moisturizing lotion to counteract the drying effect that's going to be universal to all antifungals. Of the antifungals, selenium is a strong one, but as you noted, very irritating. It MAY be responsive to lotion after you shower, but I'm not sure. If you're hooked on it, at the very least, use it with cooler water--the heat is making your skin soak it up deeper and contributing to the irritation.

chrisb wrote:

Also I noticed my hair is really starting to thin out, I'm to young to bald! Any way to restore it before it gets bad?

This depends on age, gender, and possible etiology. I've heard the Rogaine products are quite good, but aside from that, a more focused background would be necessary. If it runs in your family, for example. I think these days you're pointed to products like Rogaine as a first attempt by doctors anyway.

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

What does it mean when you feel as though you're itching underneath your skin? I got those, and I hate them, because scratching doesn't help. I actually have to pinch or massage my flesh to get relief. emot-frown

Sounds like nerve irritation/damage. Does it happen in particular places? Is there redness or soreness? This happens to me around my old incision site a lot because they did such a crappy stitch job. emot-frown You might also be pinching a nerve by resting an arm on a surface the wrong way or something--think of it as earlier in the sequence of events that puts your arm to sleep. Pay attention to when and where and why and you might notice a trend. Another possibility is that your skin isn't sufficiently moisturized so you're not feeling the surface irritation.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#57 | Back to Top02-18-2010 10:48:32 AM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
From: USA, Arkansas
Registered: 12-24-2007
Posts: 1815
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

The feeling usually occurs on either side of my torso, my back, or in the heels of my feet. There is no soreness or redness, but it could possibly be nerve related. I also have severe dry skin if I don't lotion up really well every two days or so, so that could be it too @_@ I'll pay more attention though, and try to notice a pattern.

Last edited by BlackRoseVixen (02-18-2010 10:49:31 AM)


The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

Offline

 

#58 | Back to Top02-18-2010 01:12:07 PM

Katieryn
Rose Smilee
From: Not-the-City, NY
Registered: 12-08-2009
Posts: 139

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

So I got five stitches about a week ago at the base of my pinky finger, on the palm side. It seems to be healing up alright, but I noticed that part of the top of my finger feels really odd--like it's half-asleep or something, and when I poke it or put it somewhere hot I don't feel the pain as much as I do in other fingers (like setting my fingers on the radiator). My paranoid brain screams NERVE DAMAGE OH GOD and I plan to bring it up with the doctor when I get them out. Could it be a serious problem? Is it likely to reverse when the healing is done? Anything I should look out for?

(BTW, I forgot to thank you last time you answered a question of mine--thank you, oh Ohtori medical guru.)


"If Utena was a novel, you'd be studying it in college." -- EM site info

We're patient for now, and we're patient for tomorrow, when the past will redeem all the toil extreme and all the sorrow.

Offline

 

#59 | Back to Top02-19-2010 04:32:11 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death
From: Austin, Tx
Registered: 09-29-2008
Posts: 506

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

If i just got stabbed in the back by my best friend/lover what are the chances of me getting up and crawling across a huge ass place and trying to open a coffin door?

school-chef

i'm saying slim to dead.

Offline

 

#60 | Back to Top02-23-2010 11:37:26 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
From: Singapore
Registered: 02-21-2007
Posts: 6340
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

I think I might be teething, even though it doesn't make sense since I'm 22. But, my gum. It itches and hurts for days now emot-gonk Like tooth might be coming out (is it?)

Offline

 

#61 | Back to Top02-23-2010 11:57:23 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Hiraku wrote:

I think I might be teething, even though it doesn't make sense since I'm 22. But, my gum. It itches and hurts for days now emot-gonk Like tooth might be coming out (is it?)

Have you already gotten your wisdom teeth?  Those appear in late adolescence to early adulthood, behind your other teeth, and in many people (myself included) they grow at terrible angles to your other teeth and have to be surgically removed.

Offline

 

#62 | Back to Top02-25-2010 01:09:27 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
From: Singapore
Registered: 02-21-2007
Posts: 6340
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Here's a second very minor health issue I have going on...

What would you suggest for someone who woke up feeling like something keeping his gut bloated (presumably gas, not sure), but that feeling's just stuck there, painfully. For a good 6 hours now.

Offline

 

#63 | Back to Top02-25-2010 07:32:55 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Katieryn wrote:

So I got five stitches about a week ago at the base of my pinky finger, on the palm side. It seems to be healing up alright, but I noticed that part of the top of my finger feels really odd--like it's half-asleep or something, and when I poke it or put it somewhere hot I don't feel the pain as much as I do in other fingers (like setting my fingers on the radiator). My paranoid brain screams NERVE DAMAGE OH GOD and I plan to bring it up with the doctor when I get them out. Could it be a serious problem? Is it likely to reverse when the healing is done? Anything I should look out for?

Give it a few weeks. Massage the area gently--actually if you have a vibrator, applying it is the perfect sort of stimulation. Nerves get kind of 'shocked' by incisions and such sometimes, and you really can't assess any permanent change in sensation until it's fully healed.

Hiraku wrote:

I think I might be teething, even though it doesn't make sense since I'm 22. But, my gum. It itches and hurts for days now emot-gonk Like tooth might be coming out (is it?)

What satyr said. Probably your wisdom teeth. That's gonna be a shitty bill. emot-frown Lucky for me...I only had one wisdom tooth. The other three just decided 'fuck off we're not forming at all'. emot-dance

Hiraku wrote:


What would you suggest for someone who woke up feeling like something keeping his gut bloated (presumably gas, not sure), but that feeling's just stuck there, painfully. For a good 6 hours now.

...Gas-X. emot-smile The chewables are more effective than the pills--the drug in gas-x is actually not absorbed by the body, so it does seem to be more effective in different presentations.

Walk around a bit. Move stuff around. Nothing happens to your abdomen that fast without prelude except for gas.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#64 | Back to Top02-25-2010 09:59:21 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride
From: Allegan, MI
Registered: 11-03-2006
Posts: 2098

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Giovanna wrote:

Hiraku wrote:

I think I might be teething, even though it doesn't make sense since I'm 22. But, my gum. It itches and hurts for days now emot-gonk Like tooth might be coming out (is it?)

What satyr said. Probably your wisdom teeth. That's gonna be a shitty bill. emot-frown Lucky for me...I only had one wisdom tooth. The other three just decided 'fuck off we're not forming at all'. emot-dance

While on the topic of wisdom teeth, is it normal for them to be all 'hi, here I am, we're here... um, kinda anyway', then leave me alone for months on end, only to repeat the process some later time? And, uh, how do you know for sure if they have to be removed? I'd kind of like to keep them. They don't cause pain (except those rare occasions when they decided to push or grow or something), and my teeth are already malformed due to not losing a baby tooth completely before the adult teeth grew in.


http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

Offline

 

#65 | Back to Top02-26-2010 07:37:07 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Yes, that is normal. It happened to me and I for that reason stalled removing mine for a very long time. YMMV, but for me eventually they did get too frequently irritating.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#66 | Back to Top02-26-2010 12:38:37 PM

Katieryn
Rose Smilee
From: Not-the-City, NY
Registered: 12-08-2009
Posts: 139

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Giovanna wrote:

Katieryn wrote:

So I got five stitches about a week ago at the base of my pinky finger, on the palm side. It seems to be healing up alright, but I noticed that part of the top of my finger feels really odd--like it's half-asleep or something, and when I poke it or put it somewhere hot I don't feel the pain as much as I do in other fingers (like setting my fingers on the radiator). My paranoid brain screams NERVE DAMAGE OH GOD and I plan to bring it up with the doctor when I get them out. Could it be a serious problem? Is it likely to reverse when the healing is done? Anything I should look out for?

Give it a few weeks. Massage the area gently--actually if you have a vibrator, applying it is the perfect sort of stimulation. Nerves get kind of 'shocked' by incisions and such sometimes, and you really can't assess any permanent change in sensation until it's fully healed.

Righto--the doctor said it might be a bit, but he left out the part about massaging/vibrating. Thanks for the advice!


"If Utena was a novel, you'd be studying it in college." -- EM site info

We're patient for now, and we're patient for tomorrow, when the past will redeem all the toil extreme and all the sorrow.

Offline

 

#67 | Back to Top02-26-2010 03:35:39 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
From: Cloudcuckooland
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2506
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

I love playing with dachshunds. They jump all over me, and I'm filled with happiness.
However, I'm very allergic to dogs, and just touching them makes me red and itchy. I have this benadryl spray, but its sticky and makes me pick at it furiously wanting it gone. And the fur sticks to it...

Is there a better skin allergy thing I can but on that doesn't coat me in a layer of sticky? The only allergy pill that doesn't make me sleep 24/7 doesn't cover the itchy, but makes me less wheezy. Which... is good, but I haet being itchy.

...Yes, I could in theory put the dachshund down, but sweet god they're so soft and cute and I can't. emot-gonk


http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/leeness/Ruka--Juri-banner-1.png

Only a lemming must be concerned with the ends of the world.

Offline

 

#68 | Back to Top02-26-2010 04:54:22 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Unfortunately systemic antihistamines kinda all tend to knock people out as a rule, and the histamine response is what's giving you the itchy. Topical applications tend to have the same effect. As will topical corticosteroids, which frankly, no doctor is going to give you for such an application anyway, given the long term effects on skin. Same deal with systemic steroids--they hesitate to give those to asthmatics who otherwise fall over in wheezing fits.

Frankly, that I know of, your only non-gross-cream option is systemics, most of which are the Benadryls and such. emot-frown Try experimenting with dosages and seeing if you can find one tolerable to you.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#69 | Back to Top02-26-2010 05:12:46 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
From: Cloudcuckooland
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2506
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Well, I figured it was worth a shot. ^^;  <3

My skin is my arch nemesis and it haets things on it. :(
A doctor and I discussed shots, but when I found out how often they were, no chance in hell. (I'm deathly afraid of injections... Can't even look at other people getting them.)

...You think I can cut my allergy pills in half? I'm taking Tavist, which seems to not hate me, but it doesn't say either way if I can or not... (Generally if it has the line, I'll cut away.)

...So generally, if a medication doesn't say eitherway if I can cut it, should it be cool?


http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/leeness/Ruka--Juri-banner-1.png

Only a lemming must be concerned with the ends of the world.

Offline

 

#70 | Back to Top02-26-2010 06:38:34 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS
Registered: 01-15-2008
Posts: 4411

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Gio wrote:

I don't remember my run-in with shrinks fondly either, but I don't discredit the entire value of the profession based on it. They're overused, improperly used, and often their training doesn't prepare them for reality (kinda like us). The problem with shrinks is they're not like doctors who all have generally the same training--the shrink you use has to suit you and your needs, and people don't realize that you have to shop for a shrink. One person might need a psychotherapy sit on the couch shrink, another (anorexics) benefits more from a behavioral modification approach. The philosophy and methods of the shrink need to match the diagnosis and the personality. This almost never happens.

First of all, epic fucking truth.  Different problems have different answers - psychology isn't just one answer.  If you have an idea already of what's going on -panic attacks, eating disorder, depression, etc - do a bit of research and see which school of thought has been proven more effective in treating it- if you don't know, try and find someone eclectic enough to give you a unbiased diagnoses first. 


Secondly, TMI WARNING I have a large, dark thing on my back.  It's about 2 mm in diameter and entirely under the skin, but I can feel it as a knot when I run my hands over my back.  It feels like some sort of cystic-blackhead from hell, but I've had it for months and haven't been able to to do away with it.  I've tried rigorous skin-care treatments and good old-fashioned getting a football player acquaintance of mine to pop the ever loving out of it, but nothing works.  Should I try and see a dermatologist?  Am I troll?  emot-gonk

I can pm you a picture of this weirdness if it helps. emot-aaa

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (02-26-2010 06:45:01 PM)

Offline

 

#71 | Back to Top02-26-2010 09:52:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

allegoriest wrote:

...So generally, if a medication doesn't say eitherway if I can cut it, should it be cool?

Depends on the medication. Tablets, generally, can be split. Anything in capsule or liquigel form, no. The important thing is to do a little research and determine the therapeutic range. If you split it to too small a dose...it just won't do anything. And this is actually VERY DANGEROUS if you do it with antibiotics. Also never be an idiot. Take the whole thing of antibiotics. WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME WITH THIS. We're running out of them you know. emot-frown

For that med, 1mg twice a day seems to be the minimum people give.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

First of all, epic fucking truth.  Different problems have different answers - psychology isn't just one answer.  If you have an idea already of what's going on -panic attacks, eating disorder, depression, etc - do a bit of research and see which school of thought has been proven more effective in treating it- if you don't know, try and find someone eclectic enough to give you a unbiased diagnoses first.

Here here. emot-smile I feel for people though, it's hard to get informed when it comes to an avenue of science that's still finding itself.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Secondly, TMI WARNING I have a large, dark thing on my back.  It's about 2 mm in diameter and entirely under the skin, but I can feel it as a knot when I run my hands over my back.  It feels like some sort of cystic-blackhead from hell, but I've had it for months and haven't been able to to do away with it.  I've tried rigorous skin-care treatments and good old-fashioned getting a football player acquaintance of mine to pop the ever loving out of it, but nothing works.  Should I try and see a dermatologist?  Am I troll?  emot-gonk

I can pm you a picture of this weirdness if it helps. emot-aaa

Hmm. Actually a picture would help. How far did your friend go? Infectious blood cysts thingies you have to pretty much pierce through entirely to get drained. I wouldn't suggest this however if you aren't familiar with and sure of that diagnosis. Does it feel like it might have fluid in it? If not, it's probably a mole, keloid, or some other harmless skin anomoly. However, if it hurts, is red, or itchy, I'd suggest getting it looked at. Also...if it really showed up that fast, and has an irregular border, darkish reddish tint, crusts, or just...doesn't look exactly like a mole, get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#72 | Back to Top02-26-2010 10:52:38 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
From: Cloudcuckooland
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2506
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

I've never understood the antibiotics thing. My aunt has bottles of SAVED penicillin and crap. What the fuck are you gonna do with that? When my mom found out, she obviously FREAKED.
Regardless, I'm not giving those damn bacteria a chance to multiply and become immune. (There's already WAY too many kinds of antibiotics I'm immune to thanks to childhood disease. emot-gonk )

And yeah, if its coated or something, or has something filling it that could spill out, I wouldn't cut it open. Mine seem to be just little chalky tablets, but since so many medications of mine say DO NOT CUT but appear to also be chalky tablets, I've become paranoid.


but yay, thanks~


http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/leeness/Ruka--Juri-banner-1.png

Only a lemming must be concerned with the ends of the world.

Offline

 

#73 | Back to Top02-28-2010 08:53:00 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 803

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

allegoriest wrote:

I've never understood the antibiotics thing. My aunt has bottles of SAVED penicillin and crap. What the fuck are you gonna do with that? When my mom found out, she obviously FREAKED.
Regardless, I'm not giving those damn bacteria a chance to multiply and become immune. (There's already WAY too many kinds of antibiotics I'm immune to thanks to childhood disease. emot-gonk )

but yay, thanks~

Well, I've got a couple of antibiotics saved from when I was taking them for acne(which of course I didn't like the possibility of building up immunity, but hell, I'm on Accutane the Babykiller right now emot-mad). I only pop one if I've got something like a bladder infection--something I definitely know what it is and don't need to pay for a full blown doctor visit just to get access to antibiotics. That, and my bladder infections tend to have baffling symptoms that signal more diabetes to a doctor than anything else, so then I'll have to pay for tests that I don't need because the answer is always negative...

I wish there was a CVS clinic near here like they had near my old university. You'd get a nurse practicioner you could see pretty much immediately with no appointment, was cheap, could handle like 90% of the general sickness stuff you'd encounter, and you could walk a couple steps away to pick up the prescription. So friggin' sweet. emot-gonk


Hat Mafia Member

Offline

 

#74 | Back to Top02-28-2010 10:29:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Frau Eva wrote:

I only pop one if I've got something like a bladder infection--something I definitely know what it is and don't need to pay for a full blown doctor visit just to get access to antibiotics. That, and my bladder infections tend to have baffling symptoms that signal more diabetes to a doctor than anything else, so then I'll have to pay for tests that I don't need because the answer is always negative...

emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk DON'T DO THIS.

You're just teaching your particular strain of intestinal E.Coli immunity to that particular antibiotic. Overuse and misuse of antibiotics is a major problem in this country. 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.' And bacteria are way smarter and quicker to learn than we are. If you're getting more than two UTIs a year, you need to have it looked at, cultured, and possibly have a cystoscopy and ultrasound. I had UTIs with weird symptomatic presentations. You know what it was? A fucking ovarian cyst the size of a baby. A course of antibiotics should never be less than five days.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#75 | Back to Top03-01-2010 05:11:31 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 803

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Giovanna wrote:

emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk DON'T DO THIS.

You're just teaching your particular strain of intestinal E.Coli immunity to that particular antibiotic. Overuse and misuse of antibiotics is a major problem in this country. 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.' And bacteria are way smarter and quicker to learn than we are. If you're getting more than two UTIs a year, you need to have it looked at, cultured, and possibly have a cystoscopy and ultrasound. I had UTIs with weird symptomatic presentations. You know what it was? A fucking ovarian cyst the size of a baby. A course of antibiotics should never be less than five days.

Shit, glad I haven't for this one. emot-frown Sorry. I don't get bladder infections often, but I used to purely because I'd forget to take the antibiotics for a little bit and then I'd immediately get one. One of the main reasons I weaned myself off and am on Accutane now. I think I have one now(which I haven't taken anything for! emot-gonk) but my body is mostly battling it on its own since the symptoms will quickly go away and return for an hour or two a couple of days later. The symptoms I get are only having to pee a lot and a ridiculous thirst(but so much so that, the first time I got it and we were trying to figure it out, I was slowly becoming dehydrated and wasn't producing enough saliva to eat much). I had gone to a gastroenterologist and no one seems to understand the thirst bit.
For the past week or so, every few days this would happen for a few hours, I'd think 'OH SHIT' and its gone at least by morning. I think I'm okay letting my body run its course with it unless it presents itself for longer? I just had a full scope done for other reasons, and they said everything looks normal. Hoping I don't have to go back to the doctor. emot-gonk


Hat Mafia Member

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement