You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#1 | Back to Top07-19-2007 03:49:51 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect
Registered: 12-10-2006
Posts: 649

Rebuild of Evangelion

Fellow Evangelion fans rejoice for the wait is over! The first of the four new Evangelion films comes out this summer!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9M5F2Yr0NEw

Discuss.

Offline

 

#2 | Back to Top07-20-2007 01:53:39 AM

Quiet Israfel
Saionji Slapper
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 12-31-2006
Posts: 21

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Wow, I had absolutely no idea that Gainax had this planned until reading this post. To be honest, this makes me really happy. I always felt like they didn't quite have the right kind of budget for what they wanted to do the first time around; even when I was in junior high and watching it for the first time, I was actually disappointed with the animation quality. Just from the trailer they released for Rebuild, duuuude... it makes me warm and squishy just looking at it.

I really hope they can make things a bit tighter in the storyline; the manga always felt more fine-tuned, and I felt like I really got to know and connect with many of the characters more in-depth (mind you, this comes from someone who still hasn't seen the movies; I keep waiting to rewatch the whole series before doing so). However, I do hope that they don't change Kaworu's character very much; though I was intrigued by the choice Sadamoto made in his version -- and still have to read volume 10 to see how things really play out, as volume 9 was where I left off -- I guess what I appreciated so much of Kaworu's TV series alter-ego was his practically child-like fascination with everything. Including Shinji. emot-biggrin

And just to get more off-topic, did anyone else know that Robin Williams was a big Eva fan? I entirely forgot that there was a scene in One Hour Photo in which his character was giving the Eva figurine to Jake; I should've remembered something like that! emot-gonk

Offline

 

#3 | Back to Top07-20-2007 02:22:23 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
From: Minami Goushuu
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 14280
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

The last few episodes of the old Evangelion was to a great extent a big lot of WTF!, I hope that they don't repeat it this time.

Offline

 

#4 | Back to Top07-20-2007 02:35:57 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
From: Singapore
Registered: 02-21-2007
Posts: 6340
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Tamago wrote:

The last few episodes of the old Evangelion was to a great extent a big lot of WTF!, I hope that they don't repeat it this time.

Took me a while to get used to that, too. But I personally liked the movie ending from The End of Evangelion

Offline

 

#5 | Back to Top07-20-2007 12:09:36 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2168
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Tamago wrote:

The last few episodes of the old Evangelion was to a great extent a big lot of WTF!, I hope that they don't repeat it this time.

This coming from an SKU fan?  I am shocked! emot-aaa

emot-biggrin


http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

Offline

 

#6 | Back to Top07-20-2007 12:14:30 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight
From: Next to Paradox
Registered: 10-19-2006
Posts: 3704

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

I need to rewatch the series and finally watch the Death and Rebirth/End of Evangelion stuff before looking at the new movies.  I own it all, I just detested the end of the series so much that I couldn't bring myself to watch the EoE stuff.  That was 6 years ago if not more, so I suppose it's time to try again.  Now that I know what to expect, I might appreciate it a bit more.  After all, I was quite liking the series up until the last two episodes.  Kind of the opposite of Lain, where I wasn't liking the series, and then loved the last two episodes so much that I ended up liking the series as a whole.

Last edited by Cerise (07-20-2007 12:15:05 PM)

Offline

 

#7 | Back to Top07-20-2007 12:23:39 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2
From: Virginia the Great
Registered: 11-07-2006
Posts: 1615

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

I never saw the end of Evengelion . . .

*tear*

But damn I am going to have to this time, because that looks AWSOME!


sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

Offline

 

#8 | Back to Top07-20-2007 12:29:00 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
From: Estonia
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 2510
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

I'm getting a feeling I should really watch Evangelion. I guess I'll do that after I finish watching NANA. Curse you people for being able to make me watch so much good anime. etc-love


The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

Offline

 

#9 | Back to Top07-20-2007 12:29:52 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect
Registered: 12-10-2006
Posts: 649

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Hahahah The End of Evangelion will go straight to your SKU senses. I've noticed a lot of Utena fans are Evangelion fans. Probably all that symbolism running around the series. I personally adore EOE. Extremely powerful film. Watch it! >:3

Offline

 

#10 | Back to Top07-20-2007 03:14:20 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner
From: Louisiana
Registered: 12-17-2006
Posts: 2916

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

I keep saying that Evangelion, Lain, and Utena are the Holy Trinity of Thinking Anime. If you like one, you'll most likely enjoy the other two.


Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

Offline

 

#11 | Back to Top07-20-2007 08:00:52 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2168
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I keep saying that Evangelion, Lain, and Utena are the Holy Trinity of Thinking Anime. If you like one, you'll most likely enjoy the other two.

There's another trinity that exists with the same concept... Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, and Paranoia Agent. cool


http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

Offline

 

#12 | Back to Top07-20-2007 10:15:55 PM

Quiet Israfel
Saionji Slapper
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 12-31-2006
Posts: 21

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Now that I know what to expect, I might appreciate it a bit more.  After all, I was quite liking the series up until the last two episodes.  Kind of the opposite of Lain, where I wasn't liking the series, and then loved the last two episodes so much that I ended up liking the series as a whole.

It's interesting you say that about Lain, Cerise; I was pretty much the same way, except that the last two episodes really weren't enough for me to justify finishing that series. I had heard so much hype back in high school, "OMG, Lain is t3h awesome!!1111" that, when I finally got around to watching it just this last year, I was disappointed.

Perhaps I ended up expecting too much, as the "WTF?" to it in general was in the worst way possible for me. Not a "WTF this is totally awesome even though I have no clue what's going on" type of thing that makes you want to re-evaluate what you just watched. Like in Utena or Paranioa Agent. Or, another personal favorite, Rahxephon, which understandably gets a lot of comparisons to Eva.

Offline

 

#13 | Back to Top07-21-2007 07:23:43 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight
From: Next to Paradox
Registered: 10-19-2006
Posts: 3704

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Quiet Israfel wrote:

Now that I know what to expect, I might appreciate it a bit more.  After all, I was quite liking the series up until the last two episodes.  Kind of the opposite of Lain, where I wasn't liking the series, and then loved the last two episodes so much that I ended up liking the series as a whole.

It's interesting you say that about Lain, Cerise; I was pretty much the same way, except that the last two episodes really weren't enough for me to justify finishing that series. I had heard so much hype back in high school, "OMG, Lain is t3h awesome!!1111" that, when I finally got around to watching it just this last year, I was disappointed.

I actually started Lain on 4 separate occasions over 6 years before I was finally able to finish it.   And I haven't rewatched it since finishing it, just because I hate what I felt was it being cryptic for the sake of cryptic.  However, since Arisu was my favorite character, and she gets a lot of focus in those last two episodes, my overall ranking went up for it.

I enjoy the way that symbolism and other concepts are used in SKU, but find that other series (like Eva) seem like they're a bit more forced or doing it just because.  However, I realize I do have a strong bias with regard to shows targeted at women/girls and those targeted at men/boys.  That probably makes me less accepting of questionable decisions in Eva and more accepting of them in SKU.

Offline

 

#14 | Back to Top07-21-2007 08:04:39 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist
From: Finland
Registered: 10-21-2006
Posts: 1255

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

There's another trinity that exists with the same concept... Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, and Paranoia Agent. cool

I can't help but dislike Boogiepop - great potential, so horribly misused. The novels are excellent, though.

As for Evangelion, you shouldn't let the ending of the series dissapoint you - while a far cry from conclusive, it gives a whole new angle to understanding the characters and as experimental anime, it's certainly interesting. However, I would warn you against Death & Rebirth - it's essentially a giant trailer for the End of Evangelion. About half of its footage is shared with the End and the rest comes from the series. The End of Evangelion, however, is once again excellent. I find it fun to seek mecha-genre's clichés both from the series and the movie. What especially amused me in the End was how the classical mecha transformation scene was handled - from giant robot to abstract God! cool
The surreal events and music are damn cool, in whole. Shinji's angsty hallucinations get a bit annoying, eventully but with everything else, I can bear with them.

As for the new movies, I don't dare to hope anything from them, just yet. They certainly look interesting, but they have just as great possibility to botch the series, as to revive it. I genuinely hope it's going to be the latter, ofcourse. It seems that the first movie has Kaworu, but Asuka is only going to appear in the second. That should certainly reform the chemistry between the characters, a bit...
The first movie comes out the 1st of September, though - not quite during the summer.

Last edited by Lightice (07-21-2007 08:05:09 AM)


Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

Offline

 

#15 | Back to Top07-21-2007 09:28:17 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian
Registered: 01-10-2007
Posts: 390

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Just out of curiosity, has anyone read the Angelic Days manga? I've seen it and was tempted to pick it up. All I heard was that it was an AU high school drama. Is it worth the read? I've only heard so many mixed opinions.emot-confused

Offline

 

#16 | Back to Top07-23-2007 11:16:48 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
From: Boston metro area
Registered: 11-02-2006
Posts: 289
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I keep saying that Evangelion, Lain, and Utena are the Holy Trinity of Thinking Anime. If you like one, you'll most likely enjoy the other two.

I found that Lain had too much of a WTF Factor for me to really enjoy it in terms of thinking about it and dissecting it critically, the way I have with Utena and Evangelion. 

Haibane Renmei, however, also by ABe, hits me much the same way that Utena hits me.  They're the only two anime to ever get tears out of me consistently, even on rewatching.  There's something visceral about both their themes, and I find HR intensely cathartic.

Offline

 

#17 | Back to Top07-23-2007 01:58:54 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
From: Singapore
Registered: 02-21-2007
Posts: 6340
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Rae wrote:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone read the Angelic Days manga? I've seen it and was tempted to pick it up. All I heard was that it was an AU high school drama. Is it worth the read? I've only heard so many mixed opinions.emot-confused

Yeah, about Angelic Days, it's supposedly a parallel Eva universe where people are "nicer" and more "generous" than "emo". I think it'll be a nice break from the insanity that the original Eva series has brought upon its fans. But, yeah, at this point, I don't plan to get my hands on it at the time being because I personally prefer to think of the characters as the dark and emo and somewhat manipulative people that I see them as. It feels... real.

Hm... I wouldn't object to the fact that Utena and Eva belonging to the Holy Trinity of Thinking Aniime. But I don't know why I just don't have the same interest in Lain...

Offline

 

#18 | Back to Top07-23-2007 02:35:00 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis
From: Soviet Ohiostan
Registered: 10-23-2006
Posts: 1333

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

I liked Lain. It's a crying shame I don't have a Holy Trinity of Thinking Anime. That's probably because I don't really think about anime the same way I do about other things, but that's something else entirely. All of them have a huge WTF factor, and I'm pretty sure that kind of thing is exactly what inspires people to think about something in the first place.


Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.


It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." - Harry Truman

Offline

 

#19 | Back to Top07-23-2007 08:13:19 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One
From: Alaska
Registered: 03-06-2007
Posts: 281

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

ya know, i have never seen boogie pop phantom. i have heard great things though.

I would agree that utena and lain are deep thinking animes. evangelion as well.
but if i were to claim that there was a holy trinity, it would be lain, eva, and excel saga. utena didnt really distinguish itself as a deep thinker until the first appearence of akio in episode 13. before that, it was all a build up. an introduction.

excel makes the list of thinkers because of how the story is portraied. (i would also place it in the top 3 funniest animes of all time.)


We all have our own little addictions.

Offline

 

#20 | Back to Top07-24-2007 01:08:53 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
From: Estonia
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 2510
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

tohubohu wrote:

Haibane Renmei, however, also by ABe, hits me much the same way that Utena hits me.  They're the only two anime to ever get tears out of me consistently, even on rewatching.  There's something visceral about both their themes, and I find HR intensely cathartic.

I very much agree. So far Haibane Renmei is the only other anime I can line up next to Utena. Thematically, they aren't exactly the same but there are so many parallels, especially near the end and how the whole thing gets resolved. There's quite a lot of symbolism too but most of it is very subtle and doesn't steal your attention like it does in Utena. I was deeply moved by Haibane Renmei, and it was a pleasant surprise since Utena had been the only other thing to affect me that way.

I liked Lain, especially after I rewatched it. Still, I love Haibane much more. At times, Lain is too dark and full of anxiety. It is also thematically quite different from both Haibane and Utena which, I think, is exactly why it's a bit harder to enjoy and relate to. I find it hard to describe Lain with just a single word, but 'beautiful' is the word best suited for both Haibane and Utena and this is also the reason why I love them so much. etc-love

...and I hereby nominate Haibane Renmei to be part of the Holy Trinity of Thinking Anime (I haven't seen Eva yet).


The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

Offline

 

#21 | Back to Top07-24-2007 11:15:36 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian
Registered: 01-10-2007
Posts: 390

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

guardian_rose wrote:

ya know, i have never seen boogie pop phantom. i have heard great things though.

Well, since we're all Utena (open-minded) fans here, I'm sure you'll like it. Multiple viewings are a must since you have to (hint) literally piece things together.

Oh yes, on the account of Evangelion, I just finished the visual novel: Kotetsu no Girlfriend (or, Girlfriend of Steel). I just got really curious about Angelic Days that I came up with this. Pretty interesting to see Shinji be lovey dovey (and a bit foreward) for once. This is the "canon" one. I believe the second one is the one that inspired Angelic Days.

Offline

 

#22 | Back to Top07-24-2007 12:13:52 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer
Registered: 11-04-2006
Posts: 581

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

I am very excited about rebuild. emot-dance The end of the series left me unhappy.


Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

Offline

 

#23 | Back to Top07-24-2007 05:29:44 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2168
Website

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Rae wrote:

guardian_rose wrote:

ya know, i have never seen boogie pop phantom. i have heard great things though.

Well, since we're all Utena (open-minded) fans here, I'm sure you'll like it. Multiple viewings are a must since you have to (hint) literally piece things together.

Precisely.  With Boogiepop, there is no plot in the traditional sense.  You really do have to figure it out for yourself as events are presented - non-linearly, I might add - which is one reason that I enjoy that series so much.


http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

Offline

 

#24 | Back to Top07-24-2007 08:00:03 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
From: BEHIND YOU!!
Registered: 04-15-2007
Posts: 197

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Allegoriest loves Angelic Days, which I find kinda strange. I refuse to read it solely because I do not want to like Asuka. I like being in my RAWR ASUKA bubble and don't want Asuka stuff everywhere. emot-mad  I kinda want to read since it has much Kaworu-ness (Kaworu fangirl, like 99% of the eva fangirls out there, yeah). I kinda flipped through it and its really cute, but they don't feel like the same characters when they're all... normal-ish.

I dunno if I'm excited or not about a remake, but I don't want Kaworu touchin the kitties again. emot-gonk
I just kinda feels like one of those things they should just leave alone or something.



I can't really look at Utena and Evangelion in the same way.... I dunno. I like them both but they just don't really make me think in the same way I guess.


http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

Offline

 

#25 | Back to Top07-24-2007 11:18:28 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect
Registered: 12-10-2006
Posts: 649

Re: Rebuild of Evangelion

Red Angel wrote:

Allegoriest loves Angelic Days, which I find kinda strange. I refuse to read it solely because I do not want to like Asuka. I like being in my RAWR ASUKA bubble and don't want Asuka stuff everywhere. emot-mad  I kinda want to read since it has much Kaworu-ness (Kaworu fangirl, like 99% of the eva fangirls out there, yeah). I kinda flipped through it and its really cute, but they don't feel like the same characters when they're all... normal-ish.

I dunno if I'm excited or not about a remake, but I don't want Kaworu touchin the kitties again. emot-gonk
I just kinda feels like one of those things they should just leave alone or something.



I can't really look at Utena and Evangelion in the same way.... I dunno. I like them both but they just don't really make me think in the same way I guess.

May I ask why you don't want to like Asuka? I find all the characters, even Asuka's annoying-ness, extremely interesting.

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement