You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

GUYS GUYS I JUST UPLOADED THE 1997 UTENA MUSICAL IN HIGH DEFINITION straight from the Japanese Blu-rays! i am now very tired goodnight

Also, our Secret Santa is going on! Come join in the fun!

#1651 | Back to Top12-06-2015 11:36:33 PM

DiddlyPanda
Anthy Assailer

Re: Movies

Went and saw Mockingjay Part 2. As a lowly plebe who didn't read the books, I was glad to finally put the series to rest. The movie was good, at least by the standards most movies are considered good these days. Some parts were intense, others seemed to drag on. I enjoyed the film, though I will say that the ending left me feeling unfulfilled. I'm talking about after the hilarious bit in the Capitol square. That was...Man. I laughed so hard. I saw it coming and I still laughed. It was great. I'm talking about the bit after that. Idk. Not sure why, but...Eh. I guess it's because I'm not really a fan of happy endings. Or happy-ish endings. I wouldn't go see it again in the theatre, I won't buy it when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray, but I'd probably *not* torrent it. XD Just due to the fact that I do go on movie marathon kicks where I'll watch an entire series of films back to back. This does not and will never include LotR and The Hobbit. I just can't.

Icarus is flying too close to the sun
And Icarus's life, it has only just begun
This is how it feel to take a fall
Icarus is flying towards an early grave

#1652 | Back to Top12-21-2015 02:21:42 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Star Wars was great. If anyone is waffling on seeing it -- i highly recommend it.  I feel its a bit polarizing for people, it seems -- but great to see in theaters especially if you are in love with the franchise.

Waiting for the next one will be painful!

#1653 | Back to Top12-22-2015 03:09:18 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I wholeheartedly agree that The Force Awakens is very good. I lowered my expectations as much as possible as I still remember how bitter an experience the prequels were but to my surprise this new instalment was all that Star Wars should be, a fun, wild space romp with the occasional emotionally charged moment.

I did not expect myself to tear up but I did so as the opening credits rolled by. The nostalgia effect is half of the enjoyment for me.

#1654 | Back to Top12-23-2015 02:04:14 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I agree and I am not a hardcore Star Wars fan.  I won't spoil the movie, but there was something I did not expect.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#1655 | Back to Top12-24-2015 12:14:56 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
Website

I spoiled the crap out of it and this is one of the few times in my life that a spoiler has made me less inclined to see something.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#1656 | Back to Top12-29-2015 11:00:58 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Watching Train Man for the first time in almost ten years. I'd forgotten how sweet it is. And got so swept up by the chorus of 2channers, that I forgot [two of them are married and typing from separate rooms, until they reunite for dinner].

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1657 | Back to Top01-08-2016 02:21:29 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Saw Star Wars TFA

I have to agree with everyone else - I did not expect to be so heavily hit with nostalgia. To be honest seeing C3PO and R2D2 for some reason made me teary and the audience cheered pretty hard when Harrison came on screen. He stole every scene. At the end, seeing [Chewie fly the Millennium Falcon alone really made me feel upset.]

I didn't like Rey all that much. I felt she was kind of boring? Finn was funny in his ready way to admit that he has no idea what's going on and general sucking at stuff yet getting stuff done way. I don't know why they [wrote Po out of most of the movie yet pushed this OMG FINN AND PO ARE BEST BUDDIES YO at the end when they are reunited?]

Finally, as others have mentioned, the movie is [almost directly, scene for scene, the original Star Wars movie, with Luke and Han playing the roles of Yoda and Obi Wan, Finn Po and Rey as Han, Leia and Luke. I like this idea as many stories take a cyclic route, with patterns emerging in the narrative and characters following the same routes of others; history repeating itself, the inevitability of fate. It comes across as a direct homage rather than lazy writing. HOWEVER. I did not like the Death Star thing. THAT felt shoehorned in. It didn't have any kind of narrative depth or reason for being other than copying the original movie. And that weird glasses alien lady was not needed at all.]

My main issue now is: why don't they make the Force more awesome? In one scene, a character stops a laser beam shot from a blaster with the power of the force. Not only was that really cool visually, but it was also a great power. Why don't we see character using the force more epic-ly? Why don't they halt the movement of planets, control the weather, fluctuate time, brainwash the masses, have an entire city held floating in the air? Like, come ON! The sky is the limit! Why don't we go full on Gurren Lagann and have them stop an entire Death Star with the Force?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#1658 | Back to Top01-08-2016 09:58:53 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

At the rate Rey was learning Force powers I wouldn't be surprised if she were stopping Death Stars with it by the time the third movie rolls around.

#1659 | Back to Top01-08-2016 10:02:26 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Speaking of TFA, [That DeathStar was clearly not big enough. Come on, planet sized? It should at least span a whole galaxy!]

#1660 | Back to Top01-08-2016 10:42:55 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Sparky wrote:

At the rate Rey was learning Force powers I wouldn't be surprised if she were stopping Death Stars with it by the time the third movie rolls around.

In The Force Unleashed, your character does literally pull a star destroyer out of the sky with the Force.

I enjoyed it because it was a star wars movie, not an attempt at a political drama masquerading as star wars. I absolutely adore John Boyega, so I'll readily admit that I went in with a generous mindset. I wasn't disappointed, although Bill Weasley playing a British Space Nazi was a bit jarring.

Last edited by MissMocha (01-08-2016 10:43:20 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#1661 | Back to Top01-09-2016 12:50:08 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Yeah Rey was a little too overpowered. [It made Kylo Ren look really lame as a villain to be defeated by her. Regardless that he was wounded and all, it just takes the bite out of him as a villain, being defeated by a beginner - that she was able to resist his mind control is legit to me. But beating him in a sword fight? I dunno. I kind of got a Zuko vibe from his character; if he gets shown up by someone, it should be a superior (like Azula) rather than some newbie. It just makes me her training seem not particularly needed, rather than the desperation that pushed Luke to find Yoda and train with him.]

MissMocha wrote:

Sparky wrote:

In The Force Unleashed, your character does literally pull a star destroyer out of the sky with the Force.

That's the stuff! XD

Also: THAT WAS A WEASLEY. Omg I knew I recognized him.

EDIT: When Ren was trying to nab that the lightsaber with the force all I just leaned over to my sister and whispered YOU ARE MY POSSESSIONS! OBEY ME!!

Last edited by YamPuff (01-09-2016 12:51:34 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#1662 | Back to Top01-09-2016 11:47:44 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I've never seen a Star Wars movie before other than the original when I was very young, but Rey didn't really appear any overly powered up than the other weird space ninja psychics from hot topic.  Rey is a self taught everything.  I can imagine why, once set to do it, she could acclimate well to learning all about this inner power thingy without much instruction. 

Also isn't something about the light/dark side of the force that the light side is strongest when it's defending (storm dude got wounded by Emo Vader, so Rey was protecting him), and the dark side is all about inner power/self assurance/ idek  and Emo Vader had just done that one thing to person that maybe Emo'd him up even more with self-doubt.

She's a star wars protagonist.  Going farmer to master over the span of one movie is pretty typical from what I've seen.

#1663 | Back to Top01-11-2016 11:27:10 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

On the subject of Emo Vader, https://twitter.com/kylor3n (contains spoilers for The Force Awakens)

Last edited by Nocturnalux (01-11-2016 11:27:53 AM)

#1664 | Back to Top01-12-2016 09:23:54 AM

Sparky
Touga Topper

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

She's a star wars protagonist.  Going farmer to master over the span of one movie is pretty typical from what I've seen.

Eh, she used the Force pull to grab the lightsaber which is something Luke didn't learn how to do until Empire Strikes Back, and she also used Jedi mind tricks which Luke couldn't do until Return of the Jedi. Not to mention she both blocked out Kylo's Force mind reading thing but also reversed it on him and read his, something that as far as I know we've never seen a Jedi do before.

All of this before she's properly trained even.

#1665 | Back to Top01-12-2016 10:21:43 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

I haven't seen the new movies yet, but I already see a bit of a connection between them and Legend of Korra in how they present their main "mystical abilities"  for lack of a better common word. This is because they are both sequels to a highly successful series of events.

To use Avatar for an example, Metalbending was first introduced as an ingenious extension of Earthbending, [being presented as a visual sign that Toph had grown into a master Bender at a young age, and to explain how she escaped capture and move beyond what was considered impossible.] * Now move onto LOK, where it has morphed into a cornerstone for the Republic City and the rest of the world, where though still relatively rare, it is used by various groups of Earthbenders. This includes the police force, most notably.

Now, in a more meta sense, a more used special technique can delude it's mysteriousness, but does cement the basics of it so it can expand on it. In LOK, not only does it show what is possible, it shows bending's limitations and possibilities to overcome those. It doesn't seem to get as layered as other sci-fi/ fantasy systems get, but it does add to the flavor of the show.

The Force Awakens is, as it stands, acting as a re/introduction to the universe of Star Wars. You need to establish what Jedis are, what sort of planets are here, the types of main characters you could expect, what sort of abilities you can use in it... what it has to do goes on, honestly. You can also argue that right now, it's pretty much a retelling of the first movie, while sort of clever, feels like the type of clever that you land on the first go. There's also good reasons to believe that TFA is the footing of a more post-modern Star Wars, or at least a post-Star Wars one. According to one (maybe a few) sources I was able to find, the next handful of movies promise to be still goofy, but a bit weirder than what most people expect a Star Wars to be. (X) It might just because Disney could be following the path that their intertwined yet successful Marvel sagas treaded, but they are making a canon for themselves that seems to be informed by the public consciousness's understanding of the first Three.

I will update my thoughts when I finally see the movie, but if Rey apparently is a wunderkind with what amounts to cosmic magic by the end of the first third of the trilogy, I'm hoping that it leads to something interesting.

*Not quite sure that this needed to be spoilered, but there's always the possibility this would be a surprise to someone.

#1666 | Back to Top01-12-2016 05:40:43 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I've never seen a Star Wars movie before other than the original when I was very young, but Rey didn't really appear any overly powered up than the other weird space ninja psychics from hot topic.  Rey is a self taught everything.  I can imagine why, once set to do it, she could acclimate well to learning all about this inner power thingy without much instruction.

I think that's half of it -- Rey is awesome.  The other half is that Kylo Ren is [not Darth Vader.  Darth Vader was powerful -- not just strong in the Force, but confident, collected, commanding.  And the parallels between the original trilogy and The Force Awakens at first obscure the fact that Kylo Ren is not any of those things and isn't meant to be.  He goes head-to-head in a psychic battle with Rey, and the one thing she pulls out of his head is, "you're afraid you'll never be the man Darth Vader was."  If Kylo Ren flirts with incompetence, if he seems downright lame sometimes, I think the writers made him that way squarely on purpose.  On the minus side, that does steal some thunder from Rey and her crew: their adversary is not a Darth Vader, just an emo Sith wannabe who someone made a general.  (Like Anakin was when he first put the mask on, maybe.)  On the plus side, though, it means he might have a character arc in a way that Vader never did.  I would love to get to the third movie and discover that, while I want Rey to win, I don't want Kylo Ren to lose.]

Also: yes, for a guy who says he hates being Han Solo, goddamn did Harrison Ford ever nail it.

#1667 | Back to Top01-13-2016 11:33:02 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Emo Kylo Ren is a treasure. XD

On the minus side, that does steal some thunder from Rey and her crew: their adversary is not a Darth Vader

That's exactly my point. It's not that I find Rey overpowered or Kylo whiny and emo; it's that the sense of urgency and conflict is not quite there because of the choices the filmmakers went with. With a little tweaking I think they could have kept the same set-up with a slightly better dynamic.

#1668 | Back to Top01-15-2016 05:11:19 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
Website

The more I watch it, the more highly I regard the JJTrek movie. The Plinkett review says it all best, but seriously how do you not have fun watching this movie? emot-confused

It's actually a fun spin on the mythos, and I suspect there was more freedom to play with the franchise than he got for TFA. Which is fair, Disney's a harsher mistress, and more was riding on TFA. After years of crappy TNG movies, no one had super high hopes for this one anyway.

I'm curious about TFA, but kind of turned off by the degree to which it was played safe. And I get them not trying to create the same urgency we remember from Ep4. It was maybe too smart of them, not trying to top Vader. They gave us something else to play with, and by the end of a story arc he may be good competition. But trying to have someone as effective as Vader out the gate wouldn't have worked. They're not trying to be too ambitious, which will save them in the long run. They know the fanbase will wait on ambition, if they're not immediately turned off. Hell, they survived the prequels. Disney is playing the long game, here.

I'm not worried about SW at all. I just hope it encourages more sci-fi/sci-fantasy instead of terrifying others out of attempting it. And I don't think it was necessarily wise to commit to yearly releases, although it's clear they realize they can't keep pounding out major story arcs that way.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#1669 | Back to Top01-17-2016 11:23:44 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Creed was enjoyable aside from one plot hole and it dragged in some places. They beat us over the head with his angsty past. I liked that Adonis got what he needed instead of what the audience wanted. It was a realistic movie and I would recommend it highly.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#1670 | Back to Top01-18-2016 01:17:58 AM

Sparky
Touga Topper

Carol is a good movie and I feel like people on this forum would probably appreciate it.

#1671 | Back to Top01-22-2016 08:47:06 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm just here to say WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID THE OSCARS EVER EVEN NOTICE FURY ROAD LIKE AREN'T THEY ABOVE THAT SHIT

DON'T TOUCH MY MOVIE, IT'S LIKE MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY

FUCK OFF, OSCARS

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#1672 | Back to Top01-22-2016 09:25:36 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I just watched Toward the Terra, the 80's anime movie. I have been curious about it for ages since I really loved the 2007 series and was wanted to see how it holds against it. And the answer is, not all that well. As is to be expected it looks very dated but that is hardly its biggest flaw. There are severe pacing issues, all those time skips do not work in a movie format and a lot of scenes are cut abruptly and transition into others which makes for a jerky viewing experience.

Perhaps oddly enough, given that from what I understand the movie is closer to the manga than the series was, the homoerotic tone is almost nihil. In fact, interactions between the characters feel very stilted and at times plain odd. [Unlike the series but like the manga Tony is Jomy and Carina's son, the way the 'romance' between the two is handled is atrocious. Jomy suggests that the Mu should reproduce naturally, Carina mind reads that he expects her to participate and they decide they'll have a baby together. Given that they were not in a relationship previously and that the Mu are very sensitive creatures- that is part of their problem- and not likely to have sex with someone just for the sake of reproduction, it all seems very strange.]

I almost wish they had omitted Shiroe and Matsuka altogether as they are mostly cameos that offer precious little to the overall plot.

But perhaps the strangest thing is Tony. In the movie he is actually buff, weirdly manly when compared to the very fey Tony I am used to. That aside, [he also gets a growth spurt in the movie but it only affects him and not the other Nazka kids and the moment he becomes older he up and insults Jomy. It rubbed me the wrong way. And while Tony is Jomy's son he always addresses him as 'Soldier', it's almost as if the author decided that the son idea was bad and up and discarded it halfway through so it was most definitely a good idea that they changed this in the series. He also never gets to kill Matsuka who simply disappears and so misses out on a character defining moment.]

Then there is the way the Mu will go all glowy eyed when using their powers and at times even their brains will shine. The ships were look lifted from early Gundam, I half expected Char to drop by and ramble about the Earth.

I recommend the movie to diehard fans of the franchise who might like to compare the two but those new to Terra should stick to the series.

#1673 | Back to Top01-24-2016 07:47:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
Website

On Reddit I just saw a comment to the effect that the hero takes his shirt off before sex. The villain undoes his pants. Being as I'm  watching Prince of Thieves and just finished Rasputin, this is extremely relevant.

I'd be the friend at Nottingham's 10:45 appointment. emot-dance

#1674 | Back to Top01-24-2016 10:49:53 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Giovanna wrote:

On Reddit I just saw a comment to the effect that the hero takes his shirt off before sex. The villain undoes his pants.

There is great wisdom to be found in the bowels of Reddit

#1675 | Back to Top02-20-2016 09:21:22 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Saw Jem & the Holograms tonight.

I loved it. Not even in an ironic sense.

I know it's not a great film.

Still loved it.

Would have seen the sequel that they will never make now.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

Board footer