You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

MERCH SALE!! Starting on the 12th, we will be selling some exclusive merch from Movic and the Utena Exhibition in Japan!Check out the details here! (Dem teacups, guys... dem cameos...)

#1 | Back to Top03-30-2018 11:50:43 AM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

December 1997 Animage Ikuhara Article

I popped over to my parents house and found that my mother tidied up the basement, where a not insignificant amount of neglected belongings of mine can be found. Among them I found an old issue of Animage from right around the time the Utena TV series completed. And in this magazine I found a two-page spread dominated by a photo of Kunihiko Ikuhara. There's an article he wrote in there too - evidently an installment in a series Animage had going on directors and how they ply their craft.

Skimming it, I saw the phrase "avant garde" in katakana. Yep, that's our guy.

I googled something like "December 1997 Animage Ikuhara Article" to see if it had been translated or anything, but it didn't seem that way. Before I commit myself to the effort of scanning or translating the thing, I wanted to see if it rang any bells with anyone here. The first line translates along the lines of "Let's put out a book".

And this is the first time I've ever appreciated the fact that my laptop has a camera:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/shivaindis/12-97-Animage-Ikuhara_zpsujmmkgf0.jpg

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

Board footer