You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#1 | Back to Top07-02-2016 09:59:14 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

First time rewatching the movie

I am about to rewatch Adolescence, it has been ages since I first watched it, and would like to know if any of you good folk have any ideas about what I should pay more attention to or perhaps be on the lookout for. I figured it would make the rewatch experience even more fun if I had some pointers from dedicated fans. school-chef

#2 | Back to Top07-02-2016 10:38:31 AM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Re: First time rewatching the movie

Maybe this is just me, but when I first watched it I thought Utena and Shiori were the only ones who turned into cars, upon second viewing I realized that wasn't so. Also I think a good thing to focus on is the parallels between Utena and Shiori- they both considered Touga their price but he influences them differently. I need to rewatch the movie myself... still not quite sure if I understand everything.

Last edited by maridaberri (07-02-2016 10:39:48 AM)

#3 | Back to Top07-02-2016 03:08:01 PM

pesimistamente
Anthy Assailer

my biggest surprise upon rewatching was Kozue's murder emot-gonk somehow my mind completely forgot about that

#4 | Back to Top07-02-2016 05:40:54 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

If you are interested in an in-depth deconstruction of the movie in a hopefully easily readable and digestible form, I invite you to read my four analyses that examine the movie in a Q&A-style format by examining its four major characters:

Akio,
Utena,
Anthy, and
Touga.

(Best read in this order.)

I hope you will find them interesting and useful. emot-smile

Last edited by Aelanie (07-02-2016 05:43:46 PM)

#5 | Back to Top07-05-2016 09:41:48 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Aelanie thanks for sharing those links! I will check them out in length, soon.

I just rewatched the movie, here are my second impressions:

Things that I had forgotten:

*Shiori as a car has frills on the driver's seat and steering wheel.

*How Shiori seems to get little to no chance of redemption.

*Juri is overtly called a prince by both Wakaba, who says all the girls see her as one, and by Shiori who claims to be punishing Juri by forcing her into the prince role- which leads to some interesting considerations on how being a prince can be a curse.

*The almost violent way Juri snatches the sword from Shiori.

*That we actually see part of the drowning scene- and I almost wish we hadn't. I am sure it is possible to drown on very calm water and not too far from the shore but I cannot help but find it unlikely (I was braving the crazy Atlantic ocean at the age of six so I may be bias on this) unless someone simply cannot swim, at which point one should not board a rowing boat, all alone. But then again that may add to the tragedy of it all, how utterly unnecessary Touga's death was. It happened in such a mundane setting, too. A lackluster sacrifice in which the hero's very identity is forgotten, is also starkly realistic.

*Anthy seeing Utena as Dios- or what passes for Dios, in this universe- during the duel with Juri.

*The trippy alligator critter that apppears with Chu-Chu in the Nanami-cow scene. It is also the same critter that Shiori drew on Touga's back and the Shadow Girls also make a mention of scribbling on your boyfrend's back.

*The second car flip. The first one is of course impossible to forget but I had entirely forgotten that it happens a second time around.

*Kanae! Poor girl, I did not recall her being in the movie, at all, but she does appear, albeit very briefly.

*Dios, or what passes for Dios, collapsing on the floor like an unstrung puppet when the villagers riot.

*Anthy's hair resembles the crown she used to wear to signal her status.

Things that I misremembered:

*I was under the impression that the grave on campus was Touga's and not Akio's. 

*Utena's hair. I remember its going from boy short to long and flowy but I thought the transition happened when the cap got knocked off and not when she took Anthy's sword.

*Utena's ring. I did remember its appearing from a rose but thought Anthy had planned it but later she seems genuinely surprised to see that Utena has it.

Board footer