You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

Anime News Network asked Gio & Yasha to write an article about Utena, Empty Movement, and they totally called us superfans, omg. Think of it as a belated Valentine's to Utena, its fandom, and the excellent friendships we've made along the way. 20 Years of Utena Fandom with the Ultimate Superfans!!!

#1 | Back to Top06-22-2016 05:31:33 PM

Arale
Rose Bride
Website

Nokemono to Hanayome

(Not related to Penguindrum or YKA, but it's a post-Utena Ikuhara work so I figured this is as good a place as any)

Do you guys know about this manga? Ikuhara wrote it. It's been going for many years now, but there's never been an official localization, so like many, many manga, it remains super obscure to us westerners.

This is the description on MAL and similar sites. "This series weaves a strange, surreal, and often dark comedy resplendent with ruffles and lace. It is on the surface a farce about a young girl travelling with her lover, some sort of bear-type creature, but as to be expected of Ikuhara it's multi-layered. The series is being endorsed by Baby the Stars Shine Bright, the leading name in Japanese lolita fashion, and the characters often wear clothes based off of those from the company."

They drive around in a car. It seems so very Ikuhara.

im a shadow play girl irl

#2 | Back to Top06-23-2016 11:09:21 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Re: Nokemono to Hanayome

Holy hell, I can't believe I had never heard of this considering that I am huge Nakamura Asumiko fan and actually like Baby the Stars Shine Bright. I am so going to check this out, ASAP.

#3 | Back to Top06-28-2016 11:52:11 AM

RoseandRelease
Miki Molester
Website

I found this manga just today, and I came on here to see if anyone else had noticed it! It has weird animals and a rather strange father-daughter dynamic, so it's trademark Ikuhara.
The first volume has been completed, but the scanlation group dosen't seem to have been active since autumn 2015 (and appear not to be responding to any queries about translations either). They have the raws for volume 2 as you can see here >  Chu...

Google translating the Japanese Wikipedia page for the manga dosen't reveal much except that it has been serialized since about 2006, and the story is deffinitely a dark one (there was a plot summary but I tried not to look at that). There seem to be five volumes available on Amazon.

I'd love to see more of this translated (lolita fashion and Ikuhara are two of my favourite things in life), and I'm somewhat tempted to see if I can buy the Japanese volumes.

#4 | Back to Top06-28-2016 12:30:00 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

For those who might not know, the mangaka behind this is the amazing Nakamura Asumiko. She is known for her less than conventional style and for doing away with the typical seme/uke conventions in her BL work.
She is just responsible for the art in this particular project but it adds to the hype, no doubt about it.

Here is a sample of Nokemono's art:

http://www.anime-planet.com/images/manga/covers/nokemono-to-hanayome-2712.jpg

I can also see the Ikuhara connection since some of her work does somewhat echo SKU, in particular  Chu....

Board footer