You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#1 | Back to Top08-19-2013 11:10:51 AM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
From: Canada
Registered: 02-22-2009
Posts: 9107
Website

Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

I read that in the booklet that come with the Student Counsel Saga of the remastered DVDs. In the episode note for the curry episode, Ikuhara stated that it was originally intended to air as episode 6, but since it wasn't ready in time they aired the kangaroo episode, which was intended as episode 8 instead, then aired the curry episode as 8. He also said that the kangaroo episode was meant to tie in with the following episodes.

I found that rather interesting when I first read that, and started to wonder why the episodes weren't put back into their intended order for future video releases. Maybe it would have been a little odd for those that watched the original TV broadcast, but from what I understand, Japanese TV very rarely airs reruns so wouldn't they get used to it. And for people who watched it for the first time on a video release, they would probably never know. Although I guess it can also be argued that without having read the booklet, I probably would have never known the episodes were switched. Although I did wonder why Tsuwabuki wasn't in the curry episode after being introduced in the kangaroo episode, and that recap episode that showed him spying on Nanami during the events of the episode just mystified me more since I thought that she already knew him due to the order the episodes were aired.

So knowing this I have wondered if I should started watching the episodes in this order from now on, but in the few times I've rewatched them since learning this I just couldn't be bothered. I think it's just a pain to go to the menu inbetween each episode just to watch them in the intended order. Plus they are both filler episodes with little connection to the actual plot. It may have been different if they had been discussing the result of Juri's duel in the kangaroo episode, but as it is, there just isn't much anything in either episode that makes watching them in this order confusing. What do the rest of you think about this?

Offline

 

#2 | Back to Top08-19-2013 01:22:32 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
From: Brisbane
Registered: 04-21-2009
Posts: 1172
Website

Re: Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

I think it's a case of if it ain't broke...

As you say, they're both filler episodes and really do very little for the plot aside from hinting at Anthy's malevolence. It makes absolutely no difference to rearrange them. It's just easier to go with the pre-establised order.

Offline

 

#3 | Back to Top08-19-2013 01:45:13 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Registered: 04-11-2012
Posts: 1312
Website

Re: Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

The_A_Man wrote:

I read that in the booklet that come with the Student Counsel Saga of the remastered DVDs. In the episode note for the curry episode, Ikuhara stated that it was originally intended to air as episode 6, but since it wasn't ready in time they aired the kangaroo episode, which was intended as episode 8 instead, then aired the curry episode as 8. He also said that the kangaroo episode was meant to tie in with the following episodes.

Thanks for the info, The_A_Man!

Hmm . . . the curry episode is the one debuting Saionji's exchange diary.  For it to air as EP8 makes it seem closer in time to the diary burning scene in Ep10.   So yeah, it worked fine as it aired.


(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 3 as of Sep 26, 2017) / (SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Updated to Part 43 as of Sep 08, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Offline

 

#4 | Back to Top08-19-2013 01:57:10 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer
From: Hampden College
Registered: 10-22-2011
Posts: 906

Re: Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Hmm . . . the curry episode is the one debuting Saionji's exchange diary.  For it to air as EP8 makes it seem closer in time to the diary burning scene in Ep10.   So yeah, it worked fine as it aired.

Nope, that was the Tsuwabuki episode.

...

Actually, it was the second episode, but whatever. emot-tongue

Offline

 

#5 | Back to Top08-19-2013 04:18:04 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Registered: 04-11-2012
Posts: 1312
Website

Re: Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

Atropos wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Hmm . . . the curry episode is the one debuting Saionji's exchange diary.  For it to air as EP8 makes it seem closer in time to the diary burning scene in Ep10.   So yeah, it worked fine as it aired.

Nope, that was the Tsuwabuki episode.

...

Actually, it was the second episode, but whatever. emot-tongue

Oh f_ck.  My memories are getting even less reliable than that of Mikage emot-gonk


(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 3 as of Sep 26, 2017) / (SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Updated to Part 43 as of Sep 08, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Offline

 

#6 | Back to Top08-19-2013 04:43:47 PM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
From: Canada
Registered: 02-22-2009
Posts: 9107
Website

Re: Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Atropos wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Hmm . . . the curry episode is the one debuting Saionji's exchange diary.  For it to air as EP8 makes it seem closer in time to the diary burning scene in Ep10.   So yeah, it worked fine as it aired.

Nope, that was the Tsuwabuki episode.

...

Actually, it was the second episode, but whatever. emot-tongue

Oh f_ck.  My memories are getting even less reliable than that of Mikage emot-gonk

Ya, I'm rewatching the series right now and Saionji did mention the diary in the second episode.

Offline

 

#7 | Back to Top08-20-2013 02:16:51 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

It's the curry episode where they make a big deal of the exchange diary, though.  Sneaky sneaky Ikuhara, getting the exchange diary into both episodes so that we'd remember what it meant to Saionji when Touga does his thing.  Filler is never just filler. emot-smile

Offline

 

#8 | Back to Top08-20-2013 02:36:36 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Registered: 04-11-2012
Posts: 1312
Website

Re: Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

satyreyes wrote:

It's the curry episode where they make a big deal of the exchange diary, though.  Sneaky sneaky Ikuhara, getting the exchange diary into both episodes so that we'd remember what it meant to Saionji when Touga does his thing.  Filler is never just filler. emot-smile

So true.


(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 3 as of Sep 26, 2017) / (SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Updated to Part 43 as of Sep 08, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Offline

 

#9 | Back to Top08-20-2013 03:18:39 PM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
From: Canada
Registered: 02-22-2009
Posts: 9107
Website

Re: Episodes 6 and 8 Were Switched Around

The diary also provides us with a bit of a continuity error with the episodes being switched, since in the kangaroo episode Saionji took the diary out in front of Utena during his whole hidden love talk. Then in the curry episode when Utena was Anthy, she seemed quite surprised that Saionji kept an an exchange diary with Anthy despite this. Although it can also be argued that neither her nor Miki were really paying attention to Saionji when he took the diary out in the kangaroo episode, as they were both preoccupied with the thought of Nanami dating a kid.

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement